Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Or seize business, property, and assets of the Russian Oligarchs that support Putin and make nationalize them.

The UK could do this now but they don’t actually give a poo poo.

DSA is against sanctions unless its isreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Twincityhacker posted:

The only thing that set the stage for this is Putin and his racist brainworms.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Despera posted:

DSA is against sanctions unless its isreal

That’s not sanctions. That nationalizing what should belong to the citizens of the country that was stolen by capital.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Or seize business, property, and assets of the Russian Oligarchs that support Putin and nationalize them.

The UK could do this now but they don’t actually give a poo poo.

Yeah, it seems to me like they leave a lot of room for sanctions targeted at the wealthy, as well as the Russian government and armed forces.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

I hate to tell you, but the one and only way this war is going to end with Ukraine intact in any way is through a lot of diplomacy. Ukraine's military and citizens are doing a brave, admirable job of standing up against the Russians, but they're not going to survive this thing on their armed forces alone.

e: lmao classy red text!

Holy poo poo that's a great title. But diplomacy only works in this situation when you back it up with poo poo tons of really expensive weapons flooding in from Poland and some promises to make it hurt real fuckin bad if you don't cut the goddamn poo poo right now. And even then, it probably won't (although I hope it does).

Ending NATO is about as far as you can get from that. The DSA are hard-line isolationist, non-interventionist pacifists. It's very clear from their statement that they do not see this as a "words plus military aid plus stern threats" problem. They see this as a "we shouldn't be involved in this" problem.

Edit:

Fritz the Horse posted:

"it is" and "it isn't" are not very good arguments for the debate and discussion forum, I'm gonna need more word count

edit: also, the conversation re: NATO is pretty well-trodden, see the OP. If you want to discuss NATO expansion and the invasion of Ukraine, make sure it's contributing something new to the discussion.

Was typing my response when this was posted sorry.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dante80 posted:

The above is 100% correct.

It's absolutely nonsensical. The statement demands "immediate international antiwar response demanding de-escalation, [and] international cooperation," but also "opposition to unilateral coercive measures, militarization, and other forms of economic and military brinkmanship that will only exacerbate the human toll of this conflict." What does this even mean? Are they suggesting that if the world sits down and asks nicely enough or protests hard enough, that Putin will stop firing MLRS into a city of 3 million people? That if the US says "Okay, Ukraine won't be in NATO" (which is already the effective status quo) that Russia will cease trying to eradicate Ukraine's democratically elected and popular government? As a statement it is both contradictory and utterly deranged.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's absolutely nonsensical. The statement demands "immediate international antiwar response demanding de-escalation, [and] international cooperation," but also "opposition to unilateral coercive measures, militarization, and other forms of economic and military brinkmanship that will only exacerbate the human toll of this conflict." What does this even mean? Are they suggesting that if the world sits down and asks nicely enough or protests hard enough, that Putin will stop firing MLRS into a city of 3 million people? That if the US says "Okay, Ukraine won't be in NATO" (which is already the effective status quo) that Russia will cease trying to eradicate Ukraine's democratically elected and popular government? As a statement it is both contradictory and utterly deranged.

It's easy to nod your head along to while you FIGHT THE POWER so it's perfect

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

That’s not sanctions. That nationalizing what should belong to the citizens of the country that was stolen by capital.

Are we talking about seizing oligarchs mega yachts or did I miss a turn?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Are they suggesting that if the world sits down and asks nicely enough or protests hard enough, that Putin will stop firing MLRS into a city of 3 million people?

It means take poo poo from the rich that are funding this war ya dummies.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
So guys, what's up with that war in Ukraine?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TulliusCicero posted:

Is it possible it's quiet in Kyiv because the Oligarchs and Putin are having a friendly "chat" about the money situation and nobody in command knows who is going to lead Russia by next week?

If Russia is planning on a full-bore assault of the capital, they'll need time to gather their forces and prepare the assault. This is very likely the calm before the storm.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Twincityhacker posted:

The only thing that set the stage for this is Putin and his racist brainworms.

I mean, nobody is talking about Ukraine's natural gas reserves that in the last decade or so became a threat to Russia's bottom line. Conveniently, Russia gains control of almost all of those reserves by taking Crimea and the two eastern regions which Russia has been supplying the rebels in for nearly a decade. Sure, war is sometimes about racism, but it's usually about money.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

gently caress it's such a cringe when a leftist org somehow supports this bullshit or makes a not straight up anti imperialist statement. Ah yes the thousand azovs mean we have to liberate the country and kill the Jew president!! What a leftist campaign

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KillHour posted:

Holy poo poo that's a great title. But diplomacy only works in this situation when you back it up with poo poo tons of really expensive weapons flooding in from Poland and some promises to make it hurt real fuckin bad if you don't cut the goddamn poo poo right now. And even then, it probably won't (although I hope it does).

I understand that, but the letter also starts off with "The Russians need to leave Ukraine right now." It's about what they think should happen, not what they think will happen. It's a statement of principles from a pacifist party. I'm not seeing the cause for outrage here. From my perspective it's like getting furious at the Quakers or whatever.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Majorian posted:

The one and only way this war is going to end with Ukraine independent is through a lot of diplomacy. Ukraine's military and citizens are doing a brave, admirable job of standing up against the Russians, but they're not going to survive this thing on their armed forces alone.

Barring a catastrophic collapse of the Russian supply lines, Ukraine cannot win through the use of their conventional forces alone, that is true. But has Putin offered any terms for ending the fighting which do not reduce Ukraine to "survive" only as an extension of the will of Russia?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I mean, nobody is talking about Ukraine's natural gas reserves that in the last decade or so became a threat to Russia's bottom line. Conveniently, Russia gains control of almost all of those reserves by taking Crimea and the two eastern regions which Russia has been supplying the rebels in for nearly a decade. Sure, war is sometimes about racism, but it's usually about money.

Putin had those already. He didn't need to send forces into Ukraine's north to secure those, Ukraine didn't have the means to dislodge Russia from the parts it was occupying pre-invasion.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 27, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Russia is extremely deep in the red over taking those two, even before last night’s sanctions. This is war is definitely not about money.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Negostrike posted:

This is happening with Latin Americans too, at least with Brazilians.
loving hell, Eastern Europe.

Its funny how quickly everyone forgot that Ukraine, and the rest of Eastern Europe is racist as gently caress, even by American standards.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Tuxedo Gin posted:

But if he got control of them in 2014, why invade now?

Putin is off his rocks, or socks, or whatever the saying is.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Vaginaface posted:

Could the Russians make the argument that all remaining citizens have been conscripted and armed, ergo there are no citizens in the city?

That is pretty much what they did with Grozny. Warned people for a while beforehand to GTFO, then declared that anyone left behind was a militant and went hog wild with the MLRS barrages.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

KillHour posted:

They see this as a "we shouldn't be involved in this" problem.

There's been an admirable and I think successful effort by the US to not be perceived as leading a cabal against Putin. Europe seemed a bit back footed at first until everyone ignored Germany, and now the implicit messaging is that Europe is going to loving fix this. Which is cool. Poland traveling to Berlin to berate the Germans for their selfishness, and saying that was why they were going, was a key moment to me.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

TyrantWD posted:

Its funny how quickly everyone forgot that Ukraine, and the rest of Eastern Europe is racist as gently caress, even by American standards.

Haha gently caress off, we don't hang our immigrants.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Oh man wouldn’t it be weird if instead of uncritically repeating jingoistic nonsense that borders on far right nationalism in this thread we instead looks at why the gently caress all the western governments have given the softest treatment to the Russian Oligarchs that hold Putin’s coin purse?

Nah instead let’s make up reasons to be mad at the DSA.

As I said, the UK could end this poo poo now but straight up seizing all property and assets owned by the oligarchs. They haven’t. The UK is directly responsible for the atrocities on the Ukrainian working class.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Negostrike posted:

This is happening with Latin Americans too, at least with Brazilians.
loving hell, Eastern Europe.

It's messed up, happening to non-white foreign nationals, it seems to vary between only allowing women/children on trains or transit to.. nothing to Poland because the polish are using family guy guidelines to determine who crosses their border.

Nigeria is trying to get word out for its nationals to evacuate through Romania border crossings instead since there won't be visa issues. Really messed up situation.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Majorian posted:

They aren't saying "all you need to do is end NATO and talk to Russia." Nowhere in that piece does it state that that is all we need to do to solve this war.

You're right, they don't say that's all that's necessary. They also state that it's necessary to end all sanctions, stand down all military forces, keep everyone far away from the border so that poor ol' Putin isn't spooked and then politely ask Putin to please stop invading after having removed all possible justification for war, nevermind the fact that Putin never had any real justification for war in the first place.

None of this is operating anywhere close to reality, on any level. Putin isn't going to stop because people asked politely, and even if somehow he would, there is no electorate in any Western country (or most non-Western countries for that matter!) who would agree to just walk away and let the invader do whatever they want in the faint hope that maybe he won't just smash Ukraine into the ground.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Trump posted:

But if he got control of them in 2014, why invade now?

Putin is off his rocks, or socks, or whatever the saying is.

It's pretty clear now he wants to restore the Russian empire.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Barring a catastrophic collapse of the Russian supply lines, Ukraine cannot win through the use of their conventional forces alone, that is true. But has Putin offered any terms for ending the fighting which do not reduce Ukraine to "survive" only as an extension of the will of Russia?

No, nor has he pulled troops out of Ukraine, which is the first thing the letter calls for. I think that's the point - it's a broad call for peace, not a roadmap to it. It's reiterating stances they've held for their existence as an organization.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It means take poo poo from the rich that are funding this war ya dummies.

And what does this even mean? Take poo poo from the rich? You mean the Russian oligarchs that have already lost a tremendous amount of wealth from international sanctions and the cratering Russian economy? Or is this somehow referring to the Western world, whose supplies of arms are one of the major factors in preventing Ukraine from being overrun? So that to create peace, Ukraine's ability to defend itself must be crippled?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

While it’s undoubtedly woefully interesting, I fail to see how detailed analysis of some minor American party manifesto is relevant to this thread.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Oh man wouldn’t it be weird if instead of uncritically repeating jingoistic nonsense that borders on far right nationalism in this thread we instead looks at why the gently caress all the western governments have given the softest treatment to the Russian Oligarchs that hold Putin’s coin purse?

As I said, the UK could end this poo poo now but straight up seizing all property and assets owned by the oligarchs. They haven’t. The UK is directly responsible for the atrocities on the Ukrainian working class.

If you you really, truly believe this, then you're a colossal moron. :dumbbravo:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Majorian posted:

No, nor has he pulled troops out of Ukraine, which is the first thing the letter calls for. I think that's the point - it's a broad call for peace, not a roadmap to it. It's reiterating stances they've held for their existence as an organization.

And if those stances are dumb as hell, they can be called out for it. Not sure I see the problem.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Considering at this point NATO seems to have true info on Putin's plans (specifically the worry that after taking Ukraine he'd keep rolling on through), which neighboring country do you think would be said target?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DandyLion posted:

Considering at this point NATO seems to have true info on Putin's plans (specifically the worry that after taking Ukraine he'd keep rolling on through), which neighboring country do you think would be said target?

Formal annexation of Belarus.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1497810425831776258?s=20&t=SnA0oj4yzCmdgDgQsm88tQ

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497810547059740674?s=20&t=SnA0oj4yzCmdgDgQsm88tQ

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

DandyLion posted:

Puerto Rico

e: this was a shitpost, obviously, please avoid clancychat

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Hasn't there been movement of material towards the polish border in Belarus? Or is that an old story?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That doesn't make any sense, Belarus is already a puppet state.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Majorian posted:

I understand that, but the letter also starts off with "The Russians need to leave Ukraine right now." It's about what they think should happen, not what they think will happen. It's a statement of principles from a pacifist party. I'm not seeing the cause for outrage here. From my perspective it's like getting furious at the Quakers or whatever.

you can start a sentence or statement off with anything and then follow it up with some stupid bullshit that utterly undoes the first statement. Happens all the time. DSA's statement is better than their previous somehow even worse statement, but as a whole it's still a lovely statement that completely undoes its otherwise okay opening lines.

The whole statement really should just be 'this brutal, aggressive war of expansion is a travesty and a crime and we do not support it in any way.' See how easy that is?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Trump posted:

Hasn't there been movement of material towards the polish border in Belarus? Or is that an old story?

That’s an old story, that group of equipment is now believed to be halfway to Chernobyl.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

They (the UK) have sat on the oligarch report or whatever it is called for years and only now are tepidly taking action. Maybe the RN can make itself useful and liberate super yachts for the people; the army all of the houses in notting hill, chelsea, knightsbridge, etc.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The great country of Ligma :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

DandyLion posted:

Moldova and Georgia?

But I think if they ever had those plans they have surely been put aside for now since they can barely manage to maintain 200km supply lines let alone thousands of km across hostile, well armed territory.