Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

gay picnic defence posted:

Looks like those guys have scored a bit of weaponry amongst all the poo poo in those trucks. I assume it's similar enough to their own that they'll be able to put it to good use.

Update on that:

https://twitter.com/OSICnick/status/1497850577254072320?t=P79Sop0VL_Y_K87XDqt44Q&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Rust Martialis posted:

This is not the Lesson of Stalingrad. The Lesson of Stalingrad is that turning a city into rubble makes it *more* defensible.

It was the lesson of Grozny though. I think maybe the lesson of Stanlingrad was that it wasn't leveled enough before the troops entered.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

They're basically saying they found a t-90 tank that had run out of ammo and supplies so were able to capture the crew without having to do any shooting and he's their trophy they're bringing to the army to turn in. Then they make him say glory to ukraine. It's funny but this is the exact sort of thing you're not supposed to do with POW's.

They look like civilians so I don't think they have to worry about violating the Geneva conventions.

Scapegoat posted:

OK dumb drone question. How effective are the current generation of US strike drones given the Russian air superiority and how difficult are they to operate (as in fly some to border, donate to Ukraine then control from Lviv by a Ukrainian with a US guy zooming in on the flight to give him instructions)? Also is the tech too advanced to consider giving to Ukraine? Is this any differant to the weapons and training they are already getting?

I just really want some ordinance dropped on those thermobaric weapons

The biggest thing stopping us from doing this is the absolute shitfest Russia would throw if they found out.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

BlackIronHeart posted:

If I was a civilian in a warzone and I captured a military tank, I'd be painting it all kinds of crazy poo poo and telling anyone to gently caress off, it's mine.

this is my home now

*slams down hatch*

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Is it telling that this is yet another video of Russian armour on its own with either no or very limited infantry support? Guys out of the tanks look to just be the tankers with their own personal defence weapons.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Baronjutter posted:

They're basically saying they found a t-90 tank that had run out of ammo and supplies so were able to capture the crew without having to do any shooting and he's their trophy they're bringing to the army to turn in. Then they make him say glory to ukraine. It's funny but this is the exact sort of thing you're not supposed to do with POW's.

Civilians aren't bound to following the various rules of war conventions for uniformed forces afaik

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/status/1497829216695599104

Russians sure showed it to that tank.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The best part is they DIDN'T, almost all the shots are going incredibly wide.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:siren: I’m sorry, but I don’t want 4th page of people posting about DSA and Tulsi Gabbard this morning.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

If I was a civilian in a warzone and I captured a military tank, I'd be painting it all kinds of crazy poo poo and telling anyone to gently caress off, it's mine.

You sound Ukrainian. Are you Ukrainian?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Dammit... I have an exchange student from Latvia who told me last week his friends live in Bucha...

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Also it's not a tank it's a statue

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1497831574116651008?t=rM9y_coTL48RliG6ykOKYQ&s=19

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Here's an interesting video that lays out some possible reasons for the Russian invasion. Of course the matter of NATO expansion is considered, but the more novel argument is that Ukraine could become a major supplier and competitor against Russia in natural gas.

That is to say, Russia's economy is dependent on oil and natural gas, but Ukraine's recently discovered reserves could beat out Russia and truly wreck their economy. Which also explains why Putin is willing to bite the bullet on sanctions. Donetsk and Luhansk also happen to be near major shale gas reserves...

https://youtu.be/If61baWF4GE

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 27, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jesus christ, that's nuts.

By all signs the Russians have orders not to make too much of a mess, and I'm glad they're playing nice, but those soldiers can't be all that thrilled about the mission.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

I saw that earlier. I'm confused because there look to be smoke or impact puffs on the BMP that's driving, but maybe it's firing back?

Either way that Russian BMP totally lit up that statue lmao

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Play posted:

It's gonna be devastating to Ukraine and the longer it drags on the worse it'll be. There's already been heavy damage to crucial infrastructure, and all economic activity is basically on pause for the duration. The country will need aid,.

That's assuming it isn't completely taken over by Russia. That will destroy the future of Ukraine, it's exactly the thing that the 2014 protesters decided could not be permitted.

Yes, I think we all can agree that would be a bad outcome.

e: gah, beaten again, this time on the civilians blocking the tank. But that's pretty brave of them.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Pretty sure it'd be GLONASS rather than GPS. Which may perform even worse in built up areas.

Also GPS spoofing is apparently a thing, so maybe GLONASS spoofing is going on too?

I mean they can just whip out their smartphone and use Google Maps or Yandex Maps

I bet since its the Russian army most drivers use actual paper maps.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/franakviacorka/status/1497847001106558977

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

This is the best kind of comedy because as soon as you see it, you think "the joke is that they're shooting at a non-functional monument" but then you realize the real joke is they shot down a loving light pole.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

i cant think of many neutral countries in the region for negotiations. switzerland maybe?

Yeah the Swiss are trying to thread the needle with sanction enforcement to technically comply while still being able to make their money stay neutral (this is the national broadcaster): https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/switzerland-faces-dilemma-over-russia-sanctions/47376184

There is a diplomatic advantage to not being party to a conflict but on the other hand it rather weakens your position if one of the parties has been pumping your economy for decades. This doesn't mention anything about the luxury goods export ban and Russian buyers of Swiss watches and art brokered by Swiss galleries is a very big deal here.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

One thing I just realized is that everyone and their mother likely has a smart phone of some kind and can and probably do take quality video of the Russians rolling through.

I have to imagine theres some sort of hot line or email that people are sending this through to get sorted by intelligence folks.

Or they're texting their children or friends in the defense with video, allowing to easily coordinate the attacks.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Seeing a lot of videos popping up of various captured Russian soldiers allegedly in Kharkiv. I won't post them because there's not enough context to verify, but that's the latest buzz.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497850848185040897

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Baronjutter posted:

Russia says it's not an invasion or a war.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mustard Iceman posted:

Prisoners of Military Peacekeeping Exercise Fucky Wuckies?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Alctel posted:

Yeah you can definitely jam/spoof the sat tracking systems in a local area

Dunno if the Ukrainians have that tech though

My understanding is from a few years ago but GPS is controlled by the LA AFB near LAX in El Segundo for commercial GPS and military GPS is run out of Pearl Harbor.

The US can turn off GPS for a given region or reduce it's accuracy so that is useless whenever they want. One reason why Russia wanted to develop its own system.

When I worked in El Segundo near LAX, whenever Air Force one was landing or taking off, our phone GPS'es would take a huge poo poo.. you'll be driving on the 405, and google maps will throw you 15 miles out into the pacific all of a sudden for a while.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mustard Iceman posted:

They certainly seem to be telling their soldiers this, given the quality of their fightkng.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Scapegoat posted:

OK dumb drone question. How effective are the current generation of US strike drones given the Russian air superiority and how difficult are they to operate (as in fly some to border, donate to Ukraine then control from Lviv by a Ukrainian with a US guy zooming in on the flight to give him instructions)? Also is the tech too advanced to consider giving to Ukraine? Is this any differant to the weapons and training they are already getting
Not a strike drone but the flight path of a US Global Hawk drone was posted today and it had a flight path that loitered over eastern Ukraine in a very unplanned way and it wasn't shot down (afaik). You would think russian SAMs would get it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Making fun of confused lost tourists doesn't violate the geneva convention.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Big K of Justice posted:

My understanding is from a few years ago but GPS is controlled by the LA AFB near LAX in El Segundo for commercial GPS and military GPS is run out of Pearl Harbor.

The US can turn off GPS for a given region or reduce it's accuracy so that is useless whenever they want. One reason why Russia wanted to develop its own system.

When I worked in El Segundo near LAX, whenever Air Force one was landing or taking off, our phone GPS'es would take a huge poo poo.. you'll be driving on the 405, and google maps will throw you 15 miles out into the pacific all of a sudden for a while.

The only ways I can think to actually implement that would be to have the satellite try to dictate the accuracy to the devices in a given area, in which case a custom device could just ignore that, or to actually skew the time the satellite gives by a random amount, which would presumably affect a really large area.

Budzilla posted:

Not a strike drone but the flight path of a US Global Hawk drone was posted today and it had a flight path that loitered over eastern Ukraine in a very unplanned way and it wasn't shot down (afaik). You would think russian SAMs would get it.

That was from earlier in the week before the war.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mustard Iceman posted:

I love how many wars technically aren't wars.

Also, holy poo poo gently caress Putin:

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1497854199165591553

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Majorian posted:

I love how many wars technically aren't wars.

Also, holy poo poo gently caress Putin:

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1497854199165591553

I'm assuming the reason for this is that the request for a meeting in Belarus is actually a trap and Putin doesn't want things to stop when they nab Zelensky

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bayraktar footage?

https://twitter.com/stepovy_block/status/1497855578630148102?t=S7NrwjXxVGbVwXimY6h1iA&s=19

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/no_itsmyturn/status/1497853190821367811?t=4ZHJTnPv-nyegUpewwvzRA&s=19

Russian forces foraging for food aka living off the land aka looting Ukraine

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Making fun of confused lost tourists doesn't violate the geneva convention.

The US tried to get it in but the rest of the signatories laughed at us so that's why we didn't sign it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I'm assuming the reason for this is that the request for a meeting in Belarus is actually a trap and Putin doesn't want things to stop when they nab Zelensky

Yeah, it's like they thought they weren't tipping their hands enough.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

KillHour posted:

That was from earlier in the week before the war.
My bad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

https://twitter.com/no_itsmyturn/status/1497853190821367811?t=4ZHJTnPv-nyegUpewwvzRA&s=19

Russian forces foraging for food aka living off the land aka looting Ukraine

Look, that's just the natural behavior of Russian conscripts in their native habitat.

Mine, actually. I didn't give enough context when I posted it (oops). I can't find it again, but that same drone was hanging out over the Black Sea and then hosed off to Greece today.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Leal posted:

As funny as it is watching the supposed number 2 strongest military be befuddled by removal of street signs and drive in circles, do they really not have a basic GPS?

Oooh, this one's in my wheelhouse! I use GPS in my profession though I'm not an expert on it, and while I can't explain what exactly is happening but I can offer some possibilities.

So one of the things to understand about GPS is that GPS isn't actually international - it's the name of the American global navsat system, but the Europeans and Russians, among others, operate their own systems as well (Galileo and GLONASS, respectively). All three of these systems have global reach and commercial GNSS systems can take into one or more of these networks, and tapping into more is generally better because of the way GNSS systems work.

See, the way they function is by receiving signals from multiple satellites to triangulate your position. One reading isn't enough, and the more readings you have, the more accurate the read will be (you want a minimum of three or four satellites in range). Furthermore, the actual angle of the reading matters as well - ideally you want satellite reads that are fairly far apart from each other because if you're getting readings from a bunch of satellites that are too close together you end up leaving a lot of room for error. Because of that, you can see how tapping into multiple GNSS systems improves accuracy, as you have more possible satellites to draw on for readings.

The problem is that I assume that GPS and Galileo are probably not talking to Russian military GNSS receivers at this time, forcing them to rely only on the GLONASS system itself. This isn't the end of the world - GLONASS isn't all that inaccurate by itself, though it's slightly less accurate than GPS - but it does mean they have fewer satellites they can get readings off. Combine this with urban terrain shadowing satellite signals, and you might end up with somewhat more inaccurate readings that could throw you off with the relatively tight quarters of urban navigation.

There's also a thing about the different systems using different geodetic datums as well (i.e. where the GNSS system reckons the center of the Earth to be as it spits out lat/long), but the differences between different countries by this point should be fairly minor. Still, GPS is only as accurate as the map you have - so how accurate are the Russian maps of Ukraine right now, after eight years in which I presume the Ukrainians weren't keen on sharing cartographic info with the Russians? Hypothetically one might use Google Maps or something, but I do have to wonder - can that be blocked on Russian phones in the Ukraine?

Alternatively, nobody wants to be the guy with his head down staring at a map in an urban combat zone and they were hoping they could figure things out just by looking. Couldn't say for sure, but the above is a possibility!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

the Facebook posts claims to be. no way to tell if it's real or if it's recycled from Azerbaijan.