Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It has taken me way too long to figure out that Zelensky is using greenscreen and they are not carrying that backdrop from bunker to bunker rolled up in the back of a RAV4 or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Vietnom nom nom posted:

The problem is you're drawing arbitrary lines in the sand of history. I mean I could just as easily point to the scarring effects of 20+ million people dying in World War 2 for the USSR, or the deep apathy and resignation to having autocratic corrupt leaders due to never having anything but that.

You're basically saying "causality exists". That events have long term effects that ripple outwards through time. Well, no poo poo.

I mean I could just as easily say:

Matthew Perry opens Japan -> Japan humiliates Russia in a war -> Tsars fall out of favor -> Revolution happens -> USSR

Matthew Perry got Ukraine invaded!

Ooooooooh that Matthew Perry.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Slugworth posted:

Lots of people questioning where pilots would be found. This may be a dumb question, but is it strange to expect an air force to have more pilots than planes? It feels like they'd maybe train some extra guys?

Training the guy is expensive, and in order to stay current the guy has to fly, a lot, which takes planes. Planes also require a lot of maintenance support (like, several hours for each hour they spend flying), so if you want to train extra pilots, you basically need extra planes by default.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Giving Ukraine more jets seems kinda cruel when you think about it

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

OddObserver posted:

Win the war (which Russia is still likely to), then wait for the West to get bored and cancel sanctions.

Putin wants to "win" with Ukraine with the least amount of force possibly by simply killing or capturing the current leadership. That doesn't look like that's going to be possible and so what's the next step?

I am of the belief that Putin will push on Kiev, it'll be a bloody battle with thousands of casualties and the world will recoil in horror.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 28, 2022

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

the popes toes posted:

No, assurances were given. "Not a single inch eastward," said the US. Certainly it wasn't in what we might call a "treaty". But verbal assurances do mean something. And Gorby was ignored when he floated a Russian NATO relationship.

Not that I'm stanning. But there were indeed missed opportunities.

That is a myth, or more precisely a talking point that came into being a few years after Putin took power because he set Russia on a new aggressive course. Russia had no objections to NATO's expansion in the 90s, and actually as late as the early 2000s even assist in the process (while Putin was in power!). The huge turn came with Putin's 2007 speech in München, which was then followed by the Russo-Georgian War in 2008 etc.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Putin wants to "win" with Ukraine with the least amount of force possibly by simply killing or capturing the current leadership. That doesn't look like that's going to be possible and so what's the next step?

If Russia successfully takes control of the capital, and the government including Zelenskyy, then it's still anyones guess how situation plays out.

Dante fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 28, 2022

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Slugworth posted:

Lots of people questioning where pilots would be found. This may be a dumb question, but is it strange to expect an air force to have more pilots than planes? It feels like they'd maybe train some extra guys?

3 IL-76 transport aircraft flew from Ukraine and landed in Poland a day or two ago, it’s not unreasonable to assume they might have been carrying UA pilots who had their planes destroyed on the ground.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Training the guy is expensive, and in order to stay current the guy has to fly, a lot, which takes planes. Planes also require a lot of maintenance support (like, several hours for each hour they spend flying), so if you want to train extra pilots, you basically need extra planes by default.

This is why fighter pilots are pretty old when they retire, atleast here in Denmark.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

after napoleon and hitler it was only fair for russia to be on the other end of doomed overambitious campaigns

Well they did have Afghanistan... but I guess why not another?

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

Why's that?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Realistically If I were them Id just want AA systems, artillery, and foreign intelligence just feeding me artillery firing points for loving up supply lines and counter battery fire.

But im just some dude typing this on my couch.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

after napoleon and hitler it was only fair for russia to be on the other end of doomed overambitious campaigns

In thawing season no less!!

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Telsa Cola posted:

Realistically If I were them Id just want AA systems, artillery, and foreign intelligence just feeding me artillery firing points.

The last point you make is already happening at an A+ level.

With fighters they could start taking the initiative.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Not sure why the world isn't blaming that bitch Catherine

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Fill Baptismal posted:

Saying that the conditions of the treaty of Versailles set Germany weren't conducive to setting up a stable and democratic Germany doesn't in any way excuse any of the atrocities of that regime. Similarly, you can be clear eyed about the mistakes that the west made in the years following the fall of the wall without being a Kremlin apologist.
A few pages late since this thread (rightfully) moves at lightning speed but uh, the idea that the Treaty of Versailles was extremely punitive toward Germany is straight up Nazi propaganda. Hell, the only country that even collected on its reparations per the treaty was France (technically the United States, too, but IIRC almost all of it went back into Germany in the form of funding/investments).

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's Putin's saving grace or plan at this point? Hope that Belarus attacks and that once his troops are organized they'll attack Kiev in hope they get Zelinsky or he'll surrender?

He doesn't need to "hope" that Belarus attacks, he has just ordered them to. How successful the Belarusian troops will be in the frontlines will an entirely different question. I would presume they are even less enthusiastic than the Ukrainian ones.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

I know it doesn't matter with strategic weapons since who cares if it's from Siberia or Minsk when it comes to ICBMs but would the effect of having the possibility of nuclear capable tactical ballistic launchers like the OTR-21 able to deploy closer be a concern or?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Vietnom nom nom posted:

The problem is you're drawing arbitrary lines in the sand of history. I mean I could just as easily point to the scarring effects of 20+ million people dying in World War 2 for the USSR, or the deep apathy and resignation to having autocratic corrupt leaders due to never having anything but that.

You're basically saying "causality exists". That events have long term effects that ripple outwards through time. Well, no poo poo.

I mean I could just as easily say:

Matthew Perry opens Japan -> Japan humiliates Russia in a war -> Tsars fall out of favor -> Revolution happens -> USSR

Matthew Perry got Ukraine invaded!

I wouldn't discount the Russian's view on WW2 as being irrelevant either. But to your point, the Tsars fell out of favour over hardships caused by WW1 more than the Russo-Japanese war. Also Tsarist Russia would also have the same geopolitical outlook as Putin. It was Imperial Russia after all that chose to define its acceptable borders as that of being on the Vistula River -> Carpathians -> Besserabian Gap. Putin inherited that legacy and it drives his thinking and motivations now that he feels NATO cannot be trusted.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
the russians made a neo-nazi screed like Foundations of Geopolitcs an ideological foundation for their military, but surely the West could have done so much to prevent Russian belligerence

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Young Freud posted:

Given that Belarus has erupted into protests, I don't think Belarus, much like Kazakhstan, can afford to use their troops to pacify Ukraine.

Send your army to help Putin while your people remove you from power, or keep your army in Belarus so that Putin removes you from power?

At least the former comes with the potential for a comfortable life in exile rather than swift execution.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

To who? The Chechen "special forces" convoy?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Dante posted:

This is a myth, or more precisely a talking point that came into being a few years after Putin took power because he set Russia on a new aggressive course. Russia had no objections to NATO's expansion in the 90s, and actually as late as the early 2000s even assist in the process (while Putin was in power!). The huge turn came with Putin's 2007 speech in München, which was then followed by the Russo-Georgian War in 2008 etc.

If Russia successfully takes control of the capital, and the government including Zelenskyy, then it's still anyones guess how situation plays out.

I guess wading knee deep into history isn't as easy as I thought

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Trump posted:

This is why fighter pilots are pretty old when they retire, atleast here in Denmark.

One of the big problems in the USAF is early pilot retirement, since once you get to a certain rank you tend to fly less and the job becomes worse. There are some big bonuses to keep people in. Like, hundreds of thousands of dollars (spread out over contract terms) big.

Telsa Cola posted:

Realistically If I were them Id just want AA systems, artillery, and foreign intelligence just feeding me artillery firing points for loving up supply lines and counter battery fire.

But im just some dude typing this on my couch.

If they've got the pilots might as well put them to work. You're already in the war, so you're well beyond minmaxing your mix of capabilities.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/rj_gallagher/status/1498042999368040449?s=20&t=WDd8XmUN_PEfPVl1XT-DrA this is funny

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Abner Assington posted:

A few pages late since this thread (rightfully) moves at lightning speed but uh, the idea that the Treaty of Versailles was extremely punitive toward Germany is straight up Nazi propaganda. Hell, the only country that even collected on its reparations per the treaty was France (technically the United States, too, but IIRC almost all of it went back into Germany in the form of funding/investments).

The basic flaw with the end of WWI was it ended when the Germans were utterly beaten but their public didn’t know it. So the German public thought it was getting an armistice not a surrender and the generals quickly latched onto that to absolve themselves of blame.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Warad posted:

I know it doesn't matter with strategic weapons since who cares if it's from Siberia or Minsk when it comes to ICBMs but would the effect of having the possibility of nuclear capable tactical ballistic launchers like the OTR-21 able to deploy closer be a concern or?

It's entirely to bind Belarus even closer to Russia. From a strategic or operational perspective it does not matter.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I got curious so I googled it, and the US has more pilots than planes at a 1.5 to 1 ratio. I know we throw money at the military, so it's a poor comparison, but it at least suggests having more pilots doesn't necessitate having more planes.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

One of the big problems in the USAF is early pilot retirement, since once you get to a certain rank you tend to fly less and the job becomes worse. There are some big bonuses to keep people in. Like, hundreds of thousands of dollars (spread out over contract terms) big.

Ok this explains why pilots always seem surprisingly wealthy.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

He's probably referring to the fact that whomever ends up piloting those planes is roughly 100% certain to die, probably on their first sortie.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Slugworth posted:

I got curious so I googled it, and the US has more pilots than planes at a 1.5 to 1 ratio. I know we throw money at the military, so it's a poor comparison, but it at least suggests having more pilots doesn't necessitate having more planes.

My guess is a bunch of those pilots are actually desk jocks at this point in their career. Can you link me your source?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Young Freud posted:

Given that Belarus has erupted into protests, I don't think Belarus, much like Kazakhstan, can afford to use their troops to pacify Ukraine.

Has it? One would hope, though the protests around the recent "elections" were brutal.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yea, Denmarks first F-35 pilot was loving 50.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

TulliusCicero posted:

The guys that are going to get blown up in them.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

OddObserver posted:

Win the war (which Russia is still likely to), then wait for the West to get bored and cancel sanctions.

Just wondering, but why is the consensus that Russia is still likely to win?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

CSPAM putin defenders missing out on the third russian revolution

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Tezzeract posted:

Numbers. Unknown factor is NATO support.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Tezzeract posted:

Vastly larger army and air force.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Tezzeract posted:

The word "win" has a lot of lifting to do, more as this drags out.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Tezzeract posted:

Because Ukraines army in the east is about to be encircled and the Ukraine capitol is about to be encircled and

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Dante posted:

That is a myth, or more precisely a talking point that came into being a few years after Putin took power because he set Russia on a new aggressive course. Russia had no objections to NATO's expansion in the 90s, and actually as late as the early 2000s even assist in the process (while Putin was in power!). The huge turn came with Putin's 2007 speech in München, which was then followed by the Russo-Georgian War in 2008 etc.

Straight up factually incorrect.

https://warontherocks.com/2019/11/promises-made-promises-broken-what-yeltsin-was-told-about-nato-in-1993-and-why-it-matters-2/

"Despite Clinton’s efforts, Yeltsin’s remained upset about enlargement but could do nothing to prevent it (as was similarly the case with the Kosovo War in 1999). Russian foreign minister Andrei Kozyrev in mid-1994 had said, “The greatest achievement of Russian foreign policy in 1993 was to prevent NATO’s expansion eastward to our borders.”"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Dante posted:

and actually as late as the early 2000s even assist in the process (while Putin was in power!).

What are you referring to here? (I'm not arguing, I'd just like to know more)