Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

In regards to modern tanks traveling over fields, we are already seeing videos of them getting stuck in the Ukrainian mud. It really has not been a cold winter this year in Ukraine, this week is forecasting snow but at mild temperatures which is just going to make everything wet and the land less traverseable.

The russians could never have foreseen this. Who knew that invading ukraine in a muddy season could be so difficult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Paracausal posted:

I can't believe this many days in there's still people willing to give the West heat for Putin's blatant revanchism and delusions of Empire. Nothing the West has done is even halfway approaching just cause for this response and they've more than demonstrated that they're willing to wear the cost of responding, but that should never be framed as "made its bed" bullshit.

I like to imagine that there is an alternate universe, where Russia joined NATO before all the other FSRs, used their membership to block the other FSRs from joining, invaded Ukraine, and then I am on the forums having "realpolitik" and "spheres of influence" explained to me in the smug manner.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/Genetry_/status/1497946887554437122

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Negostrike posted:

https://twitter.com/Genetry_/status/1497986909028552710

Eastern Europe is just racist as gently caress. That's not gonna change anytime soon. :shrug:

Ok, but are those the Ukrainian Army? Seems like it would be more likely to be Polish border guards, given that they're trying to get into Poland.

That said, yes, there is a lot of racism in Eastern Europe, particularly toward non-white migrants/refugees.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 28, 2022

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Ok, but are those the Ukrainian Army? Seems like it would be more likely to be Polish border guards, given that they're trying to get into Poland.

The video says they are Ukrainians but I can't tell them apart so I dunno

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

The russians could never have foreseen this. Who knew that invading ukraine in a muddy season could be so difficult?

It was better when they started. They really didn't believe it would last this long.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1498188763503251462?t=FxGVxp5skQjJs0U28IqB_w&s=19

Hmmmm...... Seems bad?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Moscow Exchange posted:

On the procedure for conducting trading on the FX and Money Markets of Moscow Exchange on February 28
In accordance with the decision of the Bank of Russia, on February 28, trading on FX and Money Markets of Moscow Exchange will open at 10:00 Moscow time. On the FX Market, during the trading session, the boundaries of the price corridor will not automatically change. At the opening of trading, the National Clearing Center (NCC) set the following limits of the price corridor.

For the USDRUB_TOM currency pair: the lower limit is 76.145, the upper limit is 90.00.
For the EURRUB_TOM currency pair: the lower limit is 85.6150, the upper limit is 101.1925.
Price limits can be changed only by a separate decision of the Bank of Russia.

Trades and settlements on repo deals will be held on the money market.
the ruble can't crash if you simply say 1 usd = 90 rub

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Scaramouche posted:

This is going to sound dumb but I can't really go to bed at night until I see the sun rise over Ukrainian Kyiv. It's not magical thinking, I'm not causing this to happen. It just might not happen much more in the near future.

I went to Disneyland today with my family, and all I could think about was what was being discussed in this thread. The news outlets are all reporting stuff y'all posted 12+ hours earlier, and not knowing if Kyiv survived another night was heavy on my mind. It seems silly, I can't do anything about it from here, but I just wanted to make sure everyone was still relatively ok.

I saw a FJB - Let's Go Brandon shirt in the wild today, at Disneyland, and I had the stupidest urge to pick a fight with the dude. Maybe all this war footage is taking it's toll on me.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

For the USDRUB_TOM currency pair: the lower limit is 76.145, the upper limit is 90.00.
For the EURRUB_TOM currency pair: the lower limit is 85.6150, the upper limit is 101.1925.

You won't believe in this simple trick to solve cross-border exchange rates.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1498194178831835139?s=20&t=bsKuOsKIWcxsmEUQ7Y5Z0A

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ruble wont be worth the paper its printed on soon.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I wish I understood what this means but I assess with high confidence it isn't good

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1498190725359542273?cxt=HHwWgoC57dyh0sopAAAA
https://twitter.com/ru_rbc/status/1498190406022045704

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

I think the Russian finance ministry is asking for companies to fork over 80% of their foreign currency reserves to help keep things afloat because the ruble is tanking and the finance ministry needs foreign cash to keep things flowing.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

keyframe posted:

ruble wont be worth the paper its printed on soon.

Hmm obviously I know what key interest rate from a central bank is but there's probably a lot of people in this thread who don't so someone perhaps someone could explain it in layman's terms

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Putin has hit the end of his rope.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/27/sport/judo-vladimir-putin-president-gymnastics-spt-intl/index.html

International Judo Federation suspends Vladimir Putin's honorary president status
"The International Judo Federation (IJF) has suspended Vladimir Putin's status as Honorary President and Ambassador of the federation due to "the ongoing war conflict in Ukraine," the sport's governing body announced Sunday.

"In light of the ongoing war conflict in Ukraine, the International Judo Federation announces the suspension of Mr. Vladimir Putin's status as Honorary President and Ambassador of the International Judo Federation," the statement read."

How will he ever look Stephen Segall in the eyes now?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

I think the Russian finance ministry is asking for companies to fork over 80% of their foreign currency reserves to help keep things afloat because the ruble is tanking and the finance ministry needs foreign cash to keep things flowing.

Ah, so the Soviet stuff is coming out of the closet.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
e: wrong thread

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 28, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Steve1989MREInfo has been quiet awhile but came out of the woodwork to show off a Ukranian MRE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID_eFoIemjU

Nice.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Telsa Cola posted:

When a country's currency is losing value relative to other currencies (depreciating), its central bank can use the foreign currencies it owns (foreign reserves) to buy the country's currency on the open market and keep its value up. It's like a company buying its own stocks on the secondary market to keep its price from falling.

In Russia's case, they're now asking private companies to do the same: buy rubles using privately-held foreign currency to maintain the ruble's value. I dunno what the analogy would be. Maybe like asking your employees to use their own savings to keep the company's stock up.

If the ruble depreciates a lot, it not only fucks with imports and exports, it also fucks with creditworthiness and interest rates. Suddenly Russians can't afford to import poo poo, can't afford to pay off foreign-denominated debts, etc. So they end up with both real economy and financial economy disasters.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Steve1989MREInfo has been quiet awhile but came out of the woodwork to show off a Ukranian MRE.

Nice.

That looks crazy delicious and is the sole reason Russia hasn't taken Kyiv yet

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Smeef posted:

When a country's currency is losing value relative to other currencies (depreciating), its central bank can use the foreign currencies it owns (foreign reserves) to buy the country's currency on the open market and keep its value up. It's like a company buying its own stocks on the secondary market to keep its price from falling.

In Russia's case, they're now asking private companies to do the same: buy rubles using privately-held foreign currency to maintain the ruble's value. I dunno what the analogy would be. Maybe like asking your employees to use their own savings to keep the company's stock up.

If the ruble depreciates a lot, it not only fucks with imports and exports, it also fucks with creditworthiness and interest rates. Suddenly Russians can't afford to import poo poo, can't afford to pay off foreign-denominated debts, etc. So they end up with both real economy and financial economy disasters.

Thank you for your explanation!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Nice.

Nice hiss

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
With those price controls? USSR IS BACK BABY :ussr:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

slowdave posted:

Hmm obviously I know what key interest rate from a central bank is but there's probably a lot of people in this thread who don't so someone perhaps someone could explain it in layman's terms

Broadly speaking, a central bank uses the interest rate to control the amount of money in circulation. A very low interest rate is used to increase the supply of money and avoid deflation (money becoming more valuable leading to people being more reluctant to spend it.) A high interest rate (20% is VERY high for a developed economy) is used to control inflation by removing money from the economy through the (somewhat of a legal fiction) that commercial banks are putting money into instruments offered by the central banks.

This situation is weird because the Ruble is being devalued by extrinsic factors (being severely restricted from international banking systems) rather than intrinsic factors (government printing more of it) so keeping the interest rate super high is kind of a desperation move to prevent hyperinflation by removing as much of it from circulation as possible. That can cause a lot of other problems which are harder to see, like liquidity issues.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Smeef posted:

It's like a company buying its own stocks on the secondary market to keep its price from falling.
Luckily for him, bad for everyone else, his ace in the hole for foreign exchange is going to be hard to kill

https://twitter.com/Sino_Market/status/1498193390147563523?cxt=HHwWhsCrieu808opAAAA

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Ukraine-conflict/Singapore-to-impose-banking-trade-restrictions-on-Russia

Smart people itt tell me, does this matter at all

tl;dr singapore will be imposing its own version of economic sanctions on russia

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Hang on, I recall in the '80's and '90's that it was a good thing to have a low dollar because your exports would be cheap and thus increase exports.

Was capitalism telling me a lie?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pretty sure @Genetry is pro-Russia, so take those with a huge grain of salt.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Comstar posted:

Hang on, I recall in the '80's and '90's that it was a good thing to have a low dollar because your exports would be cheap and thus increase exports.

Up to a point this is true. If your biggest market can’t afford to buy your country’s stuff, your companies have to lower their prices or find someone else to sell to.

In a scenario like this, Russia is being written off as a market until they stop their invasion. The governments of the countries doing this have collectively decided it’s worth the cost. This is a painful thing to do which is why it doesn’t happen except in this incredibly extreme case.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

the popes toes posted:

Luckily for him, bad for everyone else, his ace in the hole for foreign exchange is going to be hard to kill

https://twitter.com/Sino_Market/status/1498193390147563523?cxt=HHwWhsCrieu808opAAAA

That is just corperations price gouging because they can.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Comstar posted:

Well if all your exports are banned due to sanctions then you've got no one to sell to.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Majorian posted:

Russia didn't invade its neighbors in the 90s. Could you please stop mischaracterizing our arguments?

So NATO expansion is responsible for Putin taking power, and adopting a more aggressive foreign policy? I thought he took over because the oligarchs thought he could be controlled and he was willing to stop investigations into Yeltsin & Cos corruption. Or are you saying that Putin would have pursued a more dove-ish foreign policy had NATO not expanded membership in the 90s? Given his own writings, I doubt the latter is true.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

BigRoman posted:

So NATO expansion is responsible for Putin taking power, and adopting a more aggressive foreign policy? I thought he took over because the oligarchs thought he could be controlled and he was willing to stop investigations into Yeltsin & Cos corruption. Or are you saying that Putin would have pursued a more dove-ish foreign policy had NATO not expanded membership in the 90s? Given his own writings, I doubt the latter is true.

I feel like I've seen these arguments a hundred times in the last few days. At this point it doesn't matter who did what to whom decades ago, because none of it justifies what Putin has done with this invasion. He made that decision. Every other point is moot as far as I am concerned.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Comstar posted:

A weak currency has this advantage, and it's very good if you're trying to increase exports. However, there are disadvantages to having a weak currency if you want to import things.

Typically advanced economies that rely a lot of unfinished and partially finished goods to make more complex assemblies (e.g. Vehicles, Complex Machine Tools) will prefer a strong currency because imports become cheaper. This hurts domestic competitors for the unfinished goods, but if you don't have many of those to begin with it's not a concern. Less advanced economies that rely on raw materials or low-complexity manufacturing prefer a weak currency because the assumption is that those will be exported.

The Ruble crashing should make natural gas exports cheaper (assuming no further restrictions) but with limited ability for foreign currency to enter and leave the country it's going to hurt a lot, especially the advanced manufacturing sectors of the economy.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

BigRoman posted:

I thought he took over because the oligarchs thought he could be controlled

Nah, Putin is the crime boss, the oligarch his lieutenants. They were appointed. He put them there because they were willing to be controlled for the tax: loyalty and kickback.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Yureina posted:

I feel like I've seen these arguments a hundred times in the last few days. At this point it doesn't matter who did what to whom decades ago, because none of it justifies what Putin has done with this invasion. He made that decision. Every other point is moot as far as I am concerned.

This is like trying to do marriage counseling after the other party just knifed their spouse.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

SourKraut posted:

Pretty sure @Genetry is pro-Russia, so take those with a huge grain of salt.

Looking at some of their other tweets lol:
https://twitter.com/Genetry_/status/1498204089032663041
https://twitter.com/Genetry_/status/1498204147610316800

Yup. They are just playing with Ukraine. What a moron.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Yureina posted:

I feel like I've seen these arguments a hundred times in the last few days

and in fact if you look at the OP, a lot of NATO chat has been done to death and is discouraged unless you're going to add something new to the conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

Look at the first post from this guy.

https://twitter.com/genetry_/status/1498204089032663041?s=21

This is propaganda, made to be effective precisely to western peoples who need some sort of confirmation that the nazis in the situation are actually the Ukrainians. War is hell, the Polish border is seeing hundreds of thousands of migrants crossing it and there’s not enough resources and personnel. Even if it was the actual Ukrainian army being responsible for this, without context, without verification, this serves nothing but to aid the Russian cause.

These people wouldn’t be there if it weren’t for the loving Russians creating a humanitarian crisis, let’s not forget that.