Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1498270787081547777 -non-graphic video of buildings being hit in Kharkiv. Looks loving brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

theghostpt posted:

Someone brings him coke

ftfy

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My understanding is that the chechen units being sent in are not draftees, but volunteers.

A lot of these abandoned vehicles may be conscripts who just noped out though. The guys who wandered into the local police station and asked for a fill up spring to mind.

They've been members of Kadyrov's personal army, not just regular Chechen units. I've been referring to the groups of Chechens who've been involved as 'Kadyrov's men' rather than just 'Chechen units' for this reason.

There's substantial and verified reporting that Putin planned a lot of this war with Kadyrov and Kadyrov's generals for a lot longer than with his own Russian generals. Kadyrov feels part of this war to the point he personally threatened Boris Johnson with "sanctions"

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1498054698468659200?t=8u7ujElwquezWetudTFxNw&s=19

https://twitter.com/t_toghrul/status/1498187654197919750?t=6Art75Ymeylf0eWYPvZ-lQ&s=19

It's not fair to the Chechen people he's ruling with an iron fist to use generic terms for the units going in so far imo

Edit: Blog post from Feb 6th from a Chechen Human Rights Organization stating that they had reports about the planned Ukrainian invasion

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 28, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

pippy posted:

What do the buttons do?

Press to talk/hold to listen. If you look closer, you’ll notice that the hold to listen button at Putin’s chair is in pristine condition

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the table keeps getting longer.

that has to be a penis size compensation thing in response to his growing insecurity. Or maybe he's just immensely paranoid that his interlocutors will spew some kind of invisible experimental hell poison at him

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Zlodo posted:

that has to be a penis size compensation thing in response to his growing insecurity. Or maybe he's just immensely paranoid that his interlocutors will spew some kind of invisible experimental hell poison at him

maybe the dude just loves long tables

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Thread moves real fast so I’ll just say thanks to the responses to my question. The Twitter thread especially explained a lot

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1498282829691555843

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

They've been members of Kadyrov's personal army, not just regular Chechen units. I've been referring to the groups of Chechens who've been involved as 'Kadyrov's men' rather than just 'Chechen units' for this reason.

There's substantial and verified reporting that Putin planned a lot of this war with Kadyrov and Kadyrov's generals for a lot longer than with his own Russian generals. Kadyrov feels part of this war to the point he personally threatened Boris Johnson with "sanctions"

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1498054698468659200?t=8u7ujElwquezWetudTFxNw&s=19

https://twitter.com/t_toghrul/status/1498187654197919750?t=6Art75Ymeylf0eWYPvZ-lQ&s=19

It's not fair to the Chechen people he's ruling with an iron fist to use generic terms for the units going in so far imo

Edit: Blog post from Feb 6th from a Chechen Human Rights Organization stating that they had reports about the planned Ukrainian invasion

It's just smack talk. "Deadline is Feb 31st".

https://twitter.com/MABukhari04/status/1498068234410635267

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zlodo posted:

I thought he was paranoid of either Covid or assassination attempts. It would be harder to jump him from that kind of a distance, and I imagine everyone gets a pat-down for guns.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

On the lighter side of things, the flag mashup bot had an interesting take the other day:

https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1496847436672692226?s=20&t=oOG0kK1Kvs9kTvYmC0Pm6Q

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I didn't know Kadyrov writes for Onion.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Pakled posted:

It's a bit easier to take a moral stance when you aren't literally surrounded by fascist dictatorships

Lavrov: they did it because they are literally surrounded by fascist dictatorships :smuggo:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

loving around:

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1498285053033467904?t=uIuKgLbOWuuFaVzlXOPJhQ&s=19

Finding out:

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1498284693074157572?t=ND_YvBmj4yw2W72oQEp_UQ&s=19

(They're from the same tik tok account, looks like that guy can run really fast)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1498282971412979713?s=21

They’re using the thermobarics apparently

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustard Iceman posted:

well that's how it got to be Russian in the first place. Kicking out all of the Tatars, Greeks, etc. and then suddenly oops! all Russian!

Yep.

And the Tatars were coming back (albeit in tiny numbers) until the Russians took it again. It's still like over 90% Russians.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

KitConstantine posted:

Он дал "срок до 31 февраля". По мнению главы Чечни это будет примером и для других государств, чтобы они "впредь думали, прежде чем вводить какие-то санкции".

He gave "a deadline of February 31." According to the head of Chechnya, this will be an example for other states, so that they "think in the future before imposing any sanctions."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mr. Apollo posted:

On the lighter side of things, the flag mashup bot had an interesting take the other day:

https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1496847436672692226?s=20&t=oOG0kK1Kvs9kTvYmC0Pm6Q

"Bot"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am as anti-Kadyrov as anyone but he’s got a point about left hand traffic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Question I haven't seen discussed yet:

What sort of historical precedent is there for the kind of sanctions getting imposed on Russia now? Were similar sanctions imposed during ww2 or was it not practical then due to lack of integration of hte world economy?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Poor Ramzan couldn't loot any watch that does have perpetual calendar, so he always believed all months have 31 days..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What sort of historical precedent is there for the kind of sanctions getting imposed on Russia now? Were similar sanctions imposed during ww2 or was it not practical then due to lack of integration of hte world economy?

Not wildly dissimilar to the sanctions the US and Europeans imposed on Japan, but those were instituted more gradually over the course of several years.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

They're already in Poltova?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The usa sanctioned japan, for instance the infamous oil embargo. I believe it was a large part of their justification for attacking the usa.

efb

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, I know. :)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Aren't Iran and North Korea under similar sanctions, or have been at some point?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I mean... Cuba was essentially cut off from most of the planet. Same for North Korea. Those restrictions have been in place for decades - in both cases, the regimes just dug in. North Korea turned their populace into propaganda'd slaves; despite the fact they spend a crazy amount of money on the military, they're still a third world country. Cuba's a little different, obviously, but a lot of their infrastructure hasn't changed since their revolution.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

turkey closes the bosporus for russian warships, yikes

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Boris Johnson coming to Estonia and Poland tomorrow.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

source?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Shibawanko posted:

Where are you seeing that? There was some chat yesterday about what Turkey could and couldn't do according to a treaty I've forgotten the name of, but I haven't seen anything since.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mokotow posted:

Boris Johnson coming to Estonia and Poland tomorrow.

I'm so, so sorry.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Red posted:

I mean... Cuba was essentially cut off from most of the planet. Same for North Korea. Those restrictions have been in place for decades - in both cases, the regimes just dug in. North Korea turned their populace into propaganda'd slaves; despite the fact they spend a crazy amount of money on the military, they're still a third world country. Cuba's a little different, obviously, but a lot of their infrastructure hasn't changed since their revolution.

Cuba isn't cut off from most of the world, just the US. There's trade with Europe, and you can buy Cuban goods (Havana Club, the real one, primarily) in pretty much every European supermarket.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

E: nm

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-ac...reigt~b35f465e/ dutch

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Well within their rights and to be expected. The only interesting part is if Russia tries to protest and if so what language they use. Turkey can only close in time of war, so we might get to see some more information about how Russia is choosing to spin the conflict.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Red posted:

isn't cuba have mostly fine trade with alot of south/central America and Europe/etc. like its not great at all but i assume most of the stuff was US based.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

I was discussing the National Bolsheviks on Friday. This is what “tankies” actually are.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Announcement of IKEA DIKTATOR tables, when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Red posted:

It’s a bit different to sanction a great power versus sanction a little backwater. Japan in WWII is probably the better comparison.