Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baronash posted:

A kid who has apparently never texted his mom prior to that day?

I don't understand how anyone could fool themselves into thinking that was genuine, even for a moment :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Baronash posted:

Photos of text should never be taken as gospel truth but also I wouldn't put it past them to be still using the lovely smartphones that have thick bars on top and below the screen.

There's a 95% chance it's fabricated, regardless.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Baronash posted:

Yeah it's obviously more propaganda, but if it works it works.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

TheRat posted:

Yeah it's obviously more propaganda, but if it works it works.

I dunno, would have spattered some blood on it if it was going to be a propaganda piece I think...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

the holy poopacy posted:

Transitioning meaningfully away from Russian energy would take years even in the best case scenario, and having to build that kind of energy infrastructure while dealing with the economic fallout of sanctions is not going to be the best case scenario. Meanwhile, Russia is also perfectly capable of transitioning to other end markets, so by the time Europe is in position to wield real long-term sanctions not only will it be way too late for Ukraine but it will also be much less effective against Russia.

What other markets?

In that scenario Russia ends up as a Chinese client state.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't understand how anyone could fool themselves into thinking that was genuine, even for a moment :psyduck:

There's fundamentally no way to prove it either way, so either it resonates with you or it does not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zhanism posted:

If this is true then that really is nuts. One of the things people say that Russia did after the fiasco with 1st Gerogia war was to upgrade things like comms gear. I remember reading articles of "analysts" salivating all the gear that the Russian troops were parading around. Ohhhh they all got encrypted comms.

I'm half hoping but half skeptical.

it seems they fired the military reformer because he rocked the boat. the new guy was a political survivor who as an ethnic minority would never gun for the throne so yeah that explains some.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JerikTelorian posted:

It'll be harder for Russia to meaningfully transition to other markets with economic sanctions in place -- switching needs money and investments, and those won't be easy to get.

Sure, but my point is how long can those sanctions stay up while Europe is dependent on Russian oil? Europe will eventually need to relax sanctions to buy time to transition away from Russian resources.

For that matter, based on the timing of this invasion I suspect that Russia was already seeing renewable sources as a long term threat to its status as Europe's energy supplier and decided that it needed to get while the getting was good. Russia could have just as easily bided its time while Western democracy rotted and waited for a more politically favorable opportunity. For them to have decided that they couldn't afford to wait, either they figured that Europe would be more stable and united in the future or they figured that Europe would be less dependent on their energy resources, and one of those sounds like a way better assumption than the other.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Somaen posted:

Guys on the right came right from the war, guys on the left came from their comfy chairs from which they're sending others to the war

That's absolutely the message that the Ukranians are trying to send. We're ordinary guys caught up in the fight against big bad professionals. It's good optics.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kaal posted:

There's fundamentally no way to prove it either way, so either it resonates with you or it does not.

The thing that made me instantly think it was fake was because it looked like it was written to absolutely perfectly be presented as a piece of Ukranian propaganda to the public. Like, it could hardly be more perfect.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I feel sorry for the notional construct of a young person sent to fight a bloody imperialist war, regardless

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What other markets?

this, its just china and china will take them for all they have. russia isnt gonna get let back into the big western boys club again.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The Georgian Ambassador's english is really spectacular; he's a great speaker.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Sure, but my point is how long can those sanctions stay up while Europe is dependent on Russian oil? Europe will eventually need to relax sanctions to buy time to transition away from Russian resources.

For that matter, based on the timing of this invasion I suspect that Russia was already seeing renewable sources as a long term threat to its status as Europe's energy supplier and decided that it needed to get while the getting was good. Russia could have just as easily bided its time while Western democracy rotted and waited for a more politically favorable opportunity. For them to have decided that they couldn't afford to wait, either they figured that Europe would be more stable and united in the future or they figured that Europe would be less dependent on their energy resources, and one of those sounds like a way better assumption than the other.

they have. its a reason they keep pushing various weird fringe green groups(against nukes and other stuff) or chuds who hate green energy.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's absolutely the message that the Ukranians are trying to send. We're ordinary guys caught up in the fight against big bad professionals. It's good optics.

I'm still waiting for "Ukraine is showing poor Decorum" takes from the far right.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this, its just china and china will take them for all they have. russia isnt gonna get let back into the big western boys club again.

I admire your optimism, I really do. In the end I fear greed and opportunistic profiteering always wins out. People have annoyingly short memories.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

slowdave posted:

I feel sorry for the notional construct of a young person sent to fight a bloody imperialist war, regardless

I don't feel so good about old people dying in wars, either.

Anyway they should hire better copywriters.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Putin will end his days with a cushy post at the IOC or FIFA or something, regardless of what happens.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Is it accurate to say that this war is no longer just Russia vs Ukraine but Russia, Belarus, and Chechnya vs Ukraine? If so, what would stop EU countries (or even America) from engaging directly with non-Russian forces? Belarus and Chechnya are not nuclear states as far as I know.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

If Putin wants to be the force for denazification in the world, he should emulate the biggest example and shoot himself in the head in a bunker, the goddamn war criminal.

Jesus goddamn christ this whole loving invasion and suffering is so pointless, all to make name on map bigger.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

small butter posted:

Is it accurate to say that this war is no longer just Russia vs Ukraine but Russia, Belarus, and Chechnya vs Ukraine? If so, what would stop EU countries (or even America) from engaging directly with non-Russian forces? Belarus and Chechnya are not nuclear states as far as I know.

Chechnya is a part of Russia

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I think that's the most obvious piece of propaganda yet. At least the Ghost of Kyiv thing could've been based on a pilot who got a couple kills and then spun out of control.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What are the chances this happens?

I'd like to go work in France or something.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

small butter posted:

It’s Russia and Russias client states so it’s not meaningfully different.

They’re basically Russian forces

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Youth Decay posted:

Horses are better at moving through mud than tanks and trucks. The Polish cavalry shall have its revenge!

I just realized I desperately want to see horseback troops with Javelins and MANPADs, which may unironically be an effective choice right now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

JerikTelorian posted:

The Georgian Ambassador's english is really spectacular; he's a great speaker.

I believe this is him, though they look different.

https://twitter.com/ale_mais?lang=en

fnox
May 19, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

None, that'd drag the whole of the EU into war.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

small butter posted:

Belarus is however a CSTO state. Collective defence, like NATO.

Chechnya is straight-up part of Russia, a nuclear state

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm still waiting for "Ukraine is showing poor Decorum" takes from the far right.

It's mostly centrists and liberals that are super in to Decorum

coelomate posted:

I just realized I desperately want to see horseback troops with Javelins and MANPADs, which may unironically be an effective choice right now.

Dragoons are BACK baby. I must alert the MilHist thread.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheRat posted:

I admire your optimism, I really do. In the end I fear greed and opportunistic profiteering always wins out. People have annoyingly short memories.

sure for when its about middle east "brown nations" but now Russia broke the big rule of "don't have your imperial adventures in countries we actually care about, especially Europe against white people"

spacetoaster posted:

probably possible. even if its just symbolic.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

With a French election happening in less than two months, probably not gonna happen.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

coelomate posted:

This ARMA update is looking weird.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this is not a good outcome, Russia can and should be able to re-join the world at large and normalize relations if possible. Nations should not be punished in perpetuity, we let Germany back into the world stage after the holocaust, I think there is a possible future were Russia can be a good member of the international community.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

What other markets?

The entire developing world? They'd definitely become more dependent on China, further accelerating China's emergence as the world's sole superpower, but they wouldn't be a Chinese client state any more than the U.S. already is.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

tractor fanatic posted:

Chechnya is a part of Russia

And I'll bet Belarus has a mutual defense treaty with Russia. Overt, direct kinetic action is a non-starter.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ynglaur posted:

And I'll bet Belarus has a mutual defense treaty with Russia. Overt, direct kinetic action is a non-starter.

Belarus is, effectively as of the last referendum, part of Russia.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

They do indeed.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

spacetoaster posted:

short term 0. Long term supposing ukraine survives? good. ukraine's bought a lot of good will with this resistance. it may be enough to overcome the "having to help rebuild a destroyed state" problem

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Recognition of Crimea, a guarantee of neutrality (not joining NATO or the EU officially) seem like things that maybe could be agreed to
Russia has no business whatsoever dictating whether Ukraine can join NATO or the EU. They can have Crimea if its residents agree to that in an actual referendum.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure for when its about middle east "brown nations" but now Russia broke the big rule of "don't have your imperial adventures in countries we actually care about, especially Europe against white people"

I'm not sure where you're from, but as someone living in western europe I don't think you realise how little western europeans thinks of eastern europe. The anti-eastern racism is real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Well there's this thing called Union State of Russia and Belarus.