Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

D'aaah!

Egeanin (now Leilwin) and Domon just got married thanks the the former getting demoted and there no longer being an enormous status gap between the two. Something good came out of that disaster from Mat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I think RJ must have been extra horny when writing Crossroads :redass:

“Meidani was tall, and slender enough to look overbalanced by her bosom, an effect emphasized by both the fit of her dark silver embroidered bodice and the way she walked in a stoop to put her mouth more on the level of Yukiri’s ear.”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zore posted:

Probably because its an incredibly widespread text in a world without printing presses. The fact that copies made it even to the backwater Two Rivers when the main characters were children stretches a lot of inbuilt assumptions.

In general though the 3rd age has a ridiculously high literacy rate and apparently booming trade in hand copied books if a pulp novel became a near universal part of pop culture within its author's lifetime. Which, to be fair, does jive with the fact that almost every single personal home we see has at least some books.

The Travels of Jain Farstrider is a fairly blatant riff on The Travels of Marco Polo. Polo's adventures were also widely published within his lifetime, and in a world without printing presses, without a single common language and without a high literacy rate among the commons. For a travelogue to become a best seller in a world that has all three of those things plus a population that doesn't move around much is about as unsurprising as it gets.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I really enjoyed the Marco Polo netflix show

gently caress them forever for cancelling it after 2 seasons

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hexel posted:

I really enjoyed the Marco Polo netflix show

gently caress them forever for cancelling it after 2 seasons

Huh. If I ever resub to netflix, I might check that out, sounds intriguing.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

silvergoose posted:

Huh. If I ever resub to netflix, I might check that out, sounds intriguing.

Yeah it was good. It just didn't get watched much when it came out. It's often on their top viewed shows list nowadays. They could bring it back at any time (with some different cast). There are large time leaps in what Marco Polo was doing.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Friday filming update! It seems most of the main cast has wrapped their scenes for S2 with Madeleine gone back to Australia, Hammed and Marcus to London, etc. and what seems to be a private wrap party..

https://twitter.com/Unos_Eyepatch/status/1497254687602581506

However, there's still filming going on in Morocco into March. Director Maja Vrvilo also recently shared a picture on her IG of Argan tree goats that are a well-known sight in parts of Morocco. Vrvilo is likely directing episodes 5 and 6 of season two, so this gives us some hints as to which episodes might have these Morocco-shot scenes.

Local news site Le360 reports that The Wheel of Time will film in Ouarzazate during the “first week of March”. Some crew have been on site since mid-February, but according to Le360, 180 people will arrive on March 2. March 2 is a Wednesday, so we suspect the first week of filming the article is referring to is the first full week, March 7-11. The production will film within CLA Studios as well as outdoor locations. Construction of sets has been well underway. After filming in Ouarzazate, the production will continue on to film in Marrakech and Dakhla.

https://m.le360.ma/culture/info360-ouarzazate-la-saison-2-de-la-serie-la-roue-du-temps-en-tournage-en-mars-au-maroc-254961

wotseries.com posted:

Known as one of the gateways to the Sahara, Ouarzazate is a city that’s proved as popular with tourists as it has with filmmakers. Numerous productions have filmed in Ouarzazate including Gladiator, The Mummy, and Game of Thrones. The area is home to various incredible locations such as the fortress Kasbah Taourirt, UNESCO World Heritage Site Aït Ben Haddou, and of course the Sahara Desert.

Ouarzazate also houses two large film studios, Atlas Studios and CLA Studios. CLA Studios offers 370 acres of backlot space plus three pre-built sets for production use: a massive Jerusalem set built for Kingdom of Heaven, surrounded by land with plentiful room for battle scenes; a kasbah (“fortress”) with buildings arranged around a central square; and a galley, famously used for scenes in Ben Hur.

wotseries.com posted:

Speculation: Desert locations immediately bring to mind the Aiel Waste. While the Waste doesn’t make an appearance until The Shadow Rising in the books, it’s very possible we could see some scenes in the Waste that show “offscreen” elements of the books, such as the Aiel crossing the Spine of the World, or events like Egwene meeting the Wise Ones in Tel’aran’rhiod could be moved up. During his recent interview with the Empire Spoiler podcast, Rafe did mention that season two will have more Aiel than we might expect. The numerous fortresses could also serve as Falme or the Stone of Tear, which was briefly spotted in episode 6 of season one and is integral to the events of The Dragon Reborn.

The fact the production is using CLA Studios might indicate that there is a specific set already built there that they would like to use, because otherwise it would be logistically simpler to film in Prague at Jordan Studios or at barren outdoor locations in the Czech Republic.

https://www.wotseries.com/2022/02/25/new-details-on-season-twos-morocco-filming/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Man, the adventures of Tuon and Mat in KoD are just great. Just got to where Tuon want to see a "Hell" so Thom and Mat take her to a thoroughly middling tavern and she believes it because they sing a bit of a tawdry song. Then she immediately goes up to the innkeeper and asks when a fight is going to break out and everyone looks at her askance. These two are absolute gems.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's so good.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

quote:

Interview #1 (2001):

QUESTION: Will there be more talk about necklines?

ROBERT JORDAN (paraphrased): Jordan answered something about it only being natural that men will notice such things. If a man sees a woman, the odds are that he'll notice things like her legs, and her mouth and her bosom. And women will notice necklines as well, usually thinking other things like, "could I wear that?"

Interview #2 (1996):

CHARLES DOCKENS JR.: Your female characters have so much feeling and emotion. How do you accomplish this as a male author?

ROBERT JORDAN: With difficulty. I'll tell you, when I was about four years old, I was picked up by a friend of my mother and she hugged me, she was wearing a soft, silky summer dress, and her perfume smelled life. And as she put me down, my face slipped between her breasts, and throughout the experience, I was thinking, "this is wonderful, this feels wonderful". And though I was four I found I wanted to spend my life observing these fascinating people, and I've learned that they look different, they feel different, they are different, and I've put all this into the books.

Well this explains a lot

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's some "Kaiser Wilhelm's letters to his mother" poo poo right there

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

”ROBERT JORDAN” posted:

my face slipped between her breasts, and throughout the experience, I was thinking, "this is wonderful, this feels wonderful”

:same:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Sir, how do you write women with such depth?

Well, you see…. booba.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Just motorboat some tiddies -RJ

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just finished up Path of Daggers. An entire book without my boy Mat. What a crock of poo poo!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You'd think with that title it would be all about Mat

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The series would have been a lot better if PoD had skipped Perrin instead of Mat. I know we complain about it constantly, but god drat was the whole Prophet of The Dragon-> Failed getting kidnapped just the worst loving slog to read through. I generally like the other Perrin plotlines, but he just gets saddled with the worst poo poo for 3 books

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I have liked how the key to infiltrating the Seanchan for Perrin to get their help to rescue his wife is him being an ignorant country bumpkin who just doesn’t know all their complicated rules about standing and eye contact and names, so they all take him as someone incredibly high in the empire.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Some of my favourite scenes are the boys bumbling their way through diplomatic engagements. Rand in Cairhien, Perrin with the Seanchan, Mat with.... well, everyone.

A particular standout is Mat grabbing an officer who was questioning his ability, showing him how a general fights, accidentally promoting him to the Blood and then leaving him both confused and in awe.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 27, 2022

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Close second to the characters being oblivious to themselves in general

Perrin lifting up a giant tree trunk several men were struggling with to bar the door and intimidating a bunch of people with his raw strength and convincing others he could protect them and was a leader

Dude just wanted to help with some lifting

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Holy poo poo CoT is tedious af

100 pages of rando Aes Sedai nattering in the tower until..a Gawyn chapter :ohdear:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Hexel posted:

Holy poo poo CoT is tedious af

100 pages of rando Aes Sedai nattering in the tower until..a Gawyn chapter :ohdear:

"From bad.... To much worse!"

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

At least Eggy finally made it to the tower. Doesn’t she manage to get captured while loving with the harbor chains?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hexel posted:

At least Eggy finally made it to the tower. Doesn’t she manage to get captured while loving with the harbor chains?

Yep!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Otoh Alviarin getting owned because she too misunderstood what Elaida meant by “treason” is funny

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

And this dumbfuck Gawyn is still taking orders from Elaida even knowing she wants him dead :psyduck:

There has never been a more useless character in literature

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hexel posted:

And this dumbfuck Gawyn is still taking orders from Elaida even knowing she wants him dead :psyduck:

There has never been a more useless character in literature

Remind me, why does Elaida want him dead and how does he figure that out?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

goethe.cx posted:

Remind me, why does Elaida want him dead and how does he figure that out?

She wants him dead because she's a loving idiot.

He figures it out because he gets sent on really stupid and useless missions that almost kill him like 5 times.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CainFortea posted:

She wants him dead because she's a loving idiot.

He figures it out because he gets sent on really stupid and useless missions that almost kill him like 5 times.

The first part goes without saying, but I forget her logic. Is it because she’s convinced the “royal blood of Andor” in her Foretelling is only Elayne and wants him out of the picture so he won’t interfere?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

goethe.cx posted:

The first part goes without saying, but I forget her logic. Is it because she’s convinced the “royal blood of Andor” in her Foretelling is only Elayne and wants him out of the picture so he won’t interfere?

Yes. That's it.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CainFortea posted:

Yes. That's it.

Lol that’s what I thought, but that seemed amazingly dumb even by Elaida’s standards. Welp,

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

goethe.cx posted:

Lol that’s what I thought, but that seemed amazingly dumb even by Elaida’s standards. Welp,

She never understood poo poo, but being constantly undermined by your #2 who is head of the black probably made her go dumber & wilder faster than she otherwise would have on her own. That is basically Eladia in a nutshell though, she was only dangerous because others propped her up and pulled her along further than she should have been because she was so easy to manipulate.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Notorious ZSB posted:

She never understood poo poo, but being constantly undermined by your #2 who is head of the black probably made her go dumber & wilder faster than she otherwise would have on her own. That is basically Eladia in a nutshell though, she was only dangerous because others propped her up and pulled her along further than she should have been because she was so easy to manipulate.

Also Fain's influence cannot have helped.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

silvergoose posted:

Also Fain's influence cannot have helped.

Yeah, before that she was selfish and had a blinkered view of the world that was overly influenced by her own Foretelling, but she was still rational. After Ordeith, though, she was well on her way to crazytown, a situation that got worse and worse as her hold on the Tower (and reality) slipped.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Building a palace just for herself that was to be larger than the white tower, but without ogier masons or the Power to help was just nuts

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

Building a palace just for herself that was to be larger than the white tower, but without ogier masons or the Power to help was just nuts

One span taller than the white tower, causing the head mason to look horrified, and she yelled at him to just do it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That reminds me of the absolute cheek of the council of nine building their building as an exact copy of the king's palace, but one span smaller in every dimension, because he said they couldn't have a building bigger than the palace.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I really wanted to read about Elaida’s reaction to Rand being the royal andor blood and am always disappointed she never found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Trump.txt