Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't count anyone that's cut it at any point. Just as I wouldn't count Hogan's mustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

Low Desert Punk posted:

who’s the wrestler with the most tv time that took the longest to actually get good? mark henry?

Yoshi-Hashi?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

When they added a woman to the cast he was absolutely brutal to her according to several cast members, basically telling her she didn't belong there because she was a woman, it was a man's show, etc.

Yeah, I recall someone talking about him saying to her that it was "a man's show" and "we don't need you here". He seemed like just an all-round arsehole.

bartok posted:

Yoshi-Hashi?

In fairness to Y-H, I don't think his problem was that he wasn't ever good, but that he was in the company of people who were incredible in some way that he got overshadowed. At one point in Chaos, he was alongside Okada (potentially going to be the greatest wrestler of all time), Nakamura (one of the greatest wrestlers in the world at the time and ridiculously charismatic), and Ishii (another one of the greatest wrestlers in the world). Then you've also got someone like Yano, who while not necessarily the greatest in-ring, is incredibly popular and loved, and Y-H just kinda gets relegated to the background even before you add people like Tanahashi, Naito, Suzuki, etc.

But the pandemic happened and he had a good run in the New Japan Cup, had some great performances in the G1, had one of the best feel good stories of recent years with the trios title tournament, and is now in a fun and solid tag team with Goto. It's funny to think that if six or so years ago you could have said "In 2022, you'll be more excited for a YOSHI-HASHI match than a Shinsuke Nakamura one" I'd have laughed at you and called you crazy, but yet here we are.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Back to the wrestler cameos:

Tomohiro Ishii did the voice for Nathan Jones' character in the Japanese dub of Mad Max Fury Road.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

BrigadierSensible posted:

Back to the wrestler cameos:

Tomohiro Ishii did the voice for Nathan Jones' character in the Japanese dub of Mad Max Fury Road.

I thought it was Makabe?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

who’s the wrestler with the most tv time that took the longest to actually get good? mark henry?

Good in what way? Because id argue sexual chocolate and DLo was entertaining and that was what? Four years into his run?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I would argue that Mark Henry never got good

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dimebags Brain posted:

Naruki Doi and Hirooki Goto showed up as two goons in the Japanese miniseries CRISIS.
He should've thrown Doi Darts at them.

Low Desert Punk posted:

Cyber Kong/Takashi Yoshida debuted in 2009 and it took until last year before I genuinely enjoyed seeing him.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Benne posted:

I would argue that Mark Henry never got good
The unsaid thing about his legendary fake retirement is that it was entirely believable that he'd suddenly retire with no buildup in the middle of a Raw episode.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

I thought it was Makabe?

Pretty sure it was Makabe, yeah.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Has there ever been a tag team or stable reunion that actually worked? Every version of the nWo, DX, Shield, etc that I can think of past the first paled in comparison.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has there ever been a tag team or stable reunion that actually worked? Every version of the nWo, DX, Shield, etc that I can think of past the first paled in comparison.

The one I liked best was Raven & Saturn

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The two months of Evolution being a thing again was pretty cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does the Horsemen count? Barry felt like a much superior version of Ole.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The little Evolution reunion worked, if only because it had to end before it got tiresome with Batista going back to his regular job. And I'm honestly not sure if the Horsemen would count, I'm leaning yes.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I don't think the Horsemen counts here since the group was still together, just swapping out the 4th member for a while. I'd point to their later WCW run with Benoit and Pillman and then Benoit and McMichael and the Jeff Jarrett drama where no one gave a poo poo about them as an example of how it doesn't succeed, doesn't really fail, but just no one cares. The later revival with Malenko was cool for exactly 1 week and then dead.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And now I'm leaning in the other direction.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

How can I both learn what 90s AJPW matches are crucial to appreciating the period and then actually watch them?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The little Evolution reunion worked, if only because it had to end before it got tiresome with Batista going back to his regular job. And I'm honestly not sure if the Horsemen would count, I'm leaning yes.

It was worth if for BLUEtista and also that awesome rear end 6 man tag with the Shield.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

How can I both learn what 90s AJPW matches are crucial to appreciating the period and then actually watch them?

The poster Ditch was my personal most important resource for this period.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Big Jule on youtube is a great place to start watching and appreciating
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32X24xrKsOcSs8v1SErk8g/videos

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Watch this and then start clicking recommended videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdAVWuR7x5w

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
That thumbnail sums it up

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I would also recommend Joseph Montecillo's Walking the King's Road series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOjt_W4rfm0

He breaks down key King's Road era matches and fills you in the context of each of them

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I liked the Shield re-union with Ambrose and Rollins. Probably because it acknowledged and played on how the stable broke up, and had *gasp* actual continuity, which felt like an anomaly in the WWE at the time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Luckily Nippon TV seems to be pretty okay with 80's and 90's All Japan being on Youtube and is not doing a TV Asahi of removing everything from being online

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Golden Lovers worked pretty well until Kenny Omega left

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Lily Catts posted:

I would also recommend Joseph Montecillo's Walking the King's Road series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOjt_W4rfm0

He breaks down key King's Road era matches and fills you in the context of each of them

In addition to this, here are some of the matches (on youtube) that are mentioned.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BpVZD89xFZMmCHkq46Vxjm37HZmJ_vhE4ej9W_koT2U/edit#gid=0

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Does the Hart Foundation count? The full Bret/Owen/Davey/Anvil/Pillman version was a hell of a lot cooler than the original Bret/Anvil team and all the other various tag team pairings that ran at different times.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

pseudodragon posted:

Does the Hart Foundation count? The full Bret/Owen/Davey/Anvil/Pillman version was a hell of a lot cooler than the original Bret/Anvil team and all the other various tag team pairings that ran at different times.

I was thinking about them also. Didn't Bret/Jim get back together for a bit and win the tag belts after Bret's first run as IC champ?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

EdsTeioh posted:

I was thinking about them also. Didn't Bret/Jim get back together for a bit and win the tag belts after Bret's first run as IC champ?

I don't think they ever officially reunited as a team after their first run? Even with the full-fledged Hart Foundation reunion in the 90s, I don't think they tagged. Jim & Owen tagged in the early 90s, but never got anywhere close to holding the belts.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't think they ever officially reunited as a team after their first run? Even with the full-fledged Hart Foundation reunion in the 90s, I don't think they tagged. Jim & Owen tagged in the early 90s, but never got anywhere close to holding the belts.

Yeah, you're right. I was spotty watching wrestling around that time but for some reason thought that Bret and Jim got back together after Bret's first solo run but it looks like him winning the IC title was about a year after they lost their second tag championship to the Nastys.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Hart Foundation won/lost the tag titles in 87, and in 88, after the WM 4 Battle Royal which resulted on Bret turning face, they split up. But both floundered as singles wrestlers for a couple of years, so they got put back together as a team, which saw them wining the titles from Demolition in '90, which they them lost in '91, and were split up again. And then Bret won the IC title, which began his rise as a singles.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Follow Eddie Kingston on Twitter.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Davros1 posted:

The Hart Foundation won/lost the tag titles in 87, and in 88, after the WM 4 Battle Royal which resulted on Bret turning face, they split up. But both floundered as singles wrestlers for a couple of years, so they got put back together as a team, which saw them wining the titles from Demolition in '90, which they them lost in '91, and were split up again. And then Bret won the IC title, which began his rise as a singles.

I don't remember what happened immediately after WM4 that caused their singles runs to fail, but Bret's turn on Bad News Brown was the key thing that made him my favorite as a kid. There was no looking back after that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't remember what happened immediately after WM4 that caused their singles runs to fail, but Bret's turn on Bad News Brown was the key thing that made him my favorite as a kid. There was no looking back after that.

They didn't anything with them after the split in 88. Just random matches against jobbers on the syndicated shows. Bret had a brief feud with Bad News, I think but it never amounted to anything.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
does anyone have that gif of ethan page yeeting darby allin into a pillar outside the ring on the indies

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

This one?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
no, the shot i'm remembering is from farther out and darby hits the pillar almost at the level of ethan's head

edit: got it
https://twitter.com/ClassicChhun/status/741484856601874432

looks like it might be the same spot, just a much better angle

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
When Misawa and company left AJPW to form NOAH, were they able to keep their entrance music or did they have to make new ones? Though Misawa's entrance music is from a Jackie Chan movie anyway so lol