Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I just keep thinking about all potential outcomes for Putin in this, and is it me, but none of them seem terribly great?

Option A – he successfully occupies Ukraine. This seems unlikely and like it would result in a prolonged insurgency which would continue to wreck Russia's economy if they continue engaging
Option B – he partially occupies Ukraine and manages to install a puppet government. At this point, what's stopping the populace from toppling said puppet government? Ukrainians have successfully done that previously, I'd assume that would happen again?
Option C – he withdraws and continues screeching into the ether about nazis with his tail between his legs.
Option D – ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

TheRat posted:

How on earth would they police this offer at this stage?

Pre-emptively let them all in and sort it out in asylum hearings later?

Like every refugee admission program in every country in the world does?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/edroso/status/1498692305880035332

Gosh i wonder why

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498725128368267267?s=20&t=Z5FzfHdYfe0Qm5yEjW_8Gw

I think an addition to the bottom point according to other US intel is that air defences are more robust in some areas than others.
Or maybe i'm thinking of Russian air superiority - in smaller areas they have it but overall it's still flimsy.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Pre-emptively let them all in and sort it out in asylum hearings later?

Like every refugee admission program in every country in the world does?

So you let someone in, figure out they're a wrong'un. Woops, now you have a asymul seeker that you cant return because he's a deserter so you get to keep him anyway.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Keep in mind that Russia is pulling in Belarus (up to +50k), and is also moving Far East reinforcements (tbd count).

If they don't have food or supply lines this just throws more bodies in to starve. They can't buy food or supplies because their currency is worthless.

This is only exacerbating their logistics issues :psyduck:

It really is like a bad CIV Player going "BUILD TANK NUKE WIN GAME" :shepface: and no economy or resource allocation

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have to say it is kinda irksome to see people keep saying "oh NATO/US must be doing <thing> because the Ukrainian military has been so successful at <thing>" like with the drone piloting and attacks. Feels as though people can't accept that the UA could be competent by itself.

Big exception of course being things like satellite imagery.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I have to say it is kinda irksome to see people keep saying "oh NATO/US must be doing <thing> because the Ukrainian military has been so successful at <thing>" like with the drone piloting and attacks. Feels as though people can't accept that the UA could be competent by itself.

It's obviously both. This is not a zero sum question like Putin's paranoid perspective.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I really hope Biden explains why America absolutely cannot become involved with this war tonight. The longer this goes on the greater support for American involvement will get

https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1498707386558824450?s=20&t=gbkCvwaXZHvEWhgd97EEMA

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

awesome-express posted:

Option B – he partially occupies Ukraine and manages to install a puppet government. At this point, what's stopping the populace from toppling said puppet government? Ukrainians have successfully done that previously, I'd assume that would happen again?
Fear, assassinations, brutal repression, secret police, prison, torture, the usual. That's how Lukashenko survived the enormous protests in 2020.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Numlock posted:

One thing that I don't think anyone has pointe out yet is that roasting a bunch of conscripts that might of been unwilling to fight anyway would be a PR disaster for the Ukrainians. Assuming they had the ability to do so.

Look at how public opinion began shifting after the "highway of death" massacre (because that was what it was) of fleeing Iraqi troops became public knowledge during the first gulf War.

Right now Ukrainians look like world heroes and public sentiment for them is driving a lot of aid to them that might not have been as forthcoming if that public opinion in America and the EU started to cool.

So let them sit there cold and hungry until they hopefully get told to go home.

The Highway of death was an public relations nightmare because the United States obliterated the poo poo out of a 100,000 defeated Iraqis with their backs turned running for their lives.

Quite a bit of a difference between that scenario and a scenario where a giant convoy actively invading a European country is devastated in a similar way.

HOWEVER, that’s all academic. If the UA or Air Force has the capacity to hit that convoy like the coalition did on the highway of death it would have happened already. Full stop.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

awesome-express posted:

I just keep thinking about all potential outcomes for Putin in this, and is it me, but none of them seem terribly great?

Option A – he successfully occupies Ukraine. This seems unlikely and like it would result in a prolonged insurgency which would continue to wreck Russia's economy if they continue engaging
Option C – he withdraws and continues screeching into the ether about nazis with his tail between his legs.
Option D – ???

There are no viable good outcomes for Russia in this. We're seeing Russian and Ukrainian people dying and being displaced because one narcissistic old gently caress is angry because he's being made look bad in public.
I can't imagine what its like to have my country led by someone who would commit atrocities rather than step down or even look a bit weak for a while

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

awesome-express posted:

Option D – ???

Option D is to go full Nazi and genocide Ukrainians to suppress the insurgency. A variant of this is to completely flatten Kyiv and Kharkhiv as part of the invasion, in order to get a head start.

I don't think there's any doubt that Putin has the ruthlessness and the weapons to do this. The question is whether his soldiers would continue following orders, and whether there would be sufficient unrest in Russia to topple the government.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

awesome-express posted:

Option D – ???

Option D - Oligarchs who are pissed off about all the financial losses they are taking have someone slip him some polonium tea.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

fatherboxx posted:

Shooting a TV tower to stop propaganda and hitting a holocaust memorial is a remarkable denazification success

I will never forget the unintended surrealism of this war. It's like Russia took all of the worst lessons of Rumsfeld-style tactical and messaging agitprop myopia ('we will be greeted as liberators,' wmd's, etc), took only the most laughable portions of them, slammed them into a blender, then vomited them up as rationale, all while eating poo poo on the ground and handing every messaging and imaging victory to Ukraine.

Alternate response: the attack on the holocaust memorial is them getting revenge for the incident where they fired upon but were ultimately forced to retreat from the unmanned vehicle park memorial

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Gripweed posted:

I really hope Biden explains why America absolutely cannot become involved with this war tonight. The longer this goes on the greater support for American involvement will get

https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1498707386558824450?s=20&t=gbkCvwaXZHvEWhgd97EEMA

Rasmussen = giant block of salt. They're a conservative polling company bordering on fringe.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Cimber posted:

Option D - Oligarchs who are pissed off about all the financial losses they are taking have someone slip him some polonium tea.

Option F: the Russian military starts giving up in droves, the military completely stops listening to Putin, government falls.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Interesting example since a Ukrainian (civilian) imaging sat got launched (on an American rocket) like a week before this mess.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Cimber posted:

I think the "oligarchs" became (and remain) oligarchs by being loyal to Putin. I think they might exert their own kind of pressure, but they're not going to run a coup.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

...and is also moving Far East reinforcements (tbd count).

Give me more Buryats! isn't going to improve their situation much and is disgusting really, if he believes Eastern District losses are more palatable to the man on the street and might avoid outrage.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Keep in mind that Russia is pulling in Belarus (up to +50k), and is also moving Far East reinforcements (tbd count).

Given their logistics issues, is that actually going to make things better?

In HoI4 when the supply turns red in a zone I usually move units out, not in.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

awesome-express posted:

Option D – ???

If I'm Putin, my Option D is to just resign and retire to Bermuda. I can't even imagine how much stress and anxiety he is experiencing right now.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm horribly uninformed, but I had gathered that taking Kiev largely undamaged was important because its ancient buildings are very symbolically important to the idea of a coherent, cohesive russian empire.
If they destroy old Kiev, surely they are destroying old imperial Russia,?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Rasmussen = giant block of salt. They're a conservative polling company bordering on fringe.

Weren't they Trump's favourite polling company? That should tell you all you need to know about them

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pookah posted:

I can't imagine what its like to have my country led by someone who would commit atrocities rather than step down or even look a bit weak for a while

I take it you're not American.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Pookah posted:

I'm horribly uninformed, but I had gathered that taking Kiev largely undamaged was important because its ancient buildings are very symbolically important to the idea of a coherent, cohesive russian empire.

They'll just rebuild it, with more opulence!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think the "oligarchs" became (and remain) oligarchs by being loyal to Putin. I think they might exert their own kind of pressure, but they're not going to run a coup.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. They probably view him as a useful leader who lets them dip into the gov't coffers as much as they want in return for them letting him stick around. Once he poses a threat to their power they may want to take steps to replace him with another useful idiot.

Last thing they want is a populist uprising. Look what happened the last time that happened in Russia about 100ish years ago.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The problem people have with the concept of Russian oligarch is that they imagine them as American billionaires, the power behind the throne that moves all the strings, when in reality they are just feudal lords in an absolutist monarchy (where the monarch commands his own forces as well, independent of the oligarchs), they owe their fiefdoms to Putin. Doesn't mean they couldn't leverage them under certain conditions, but makes it unlikely and dangerous.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

awesome-express posted:

Option D – ???

It's wild that you can't even conceive of a negotiated peace. Ukraine and Russia could absolutely come to terms that Putin finds agreeable. Russia losing isn't somehow just destiny because we wouldn't like it.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

But at some point once your net worth plunges to a degree you no longer find comfortable, what happens then? The moment you can no longer buy Lambos/Yachts/Hookers/Real estate/education abroad for your kids/other poo poo, they'll start squirming pretty hard.

Humans love comfort and any rocking of said boat will always end up with them wanting to return to a level of previously-achieved comfort.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's wild that you can't even conceive a negotiated peace. Ukraine and Russia could absolutely come to terms that Putin finds agreeable.
Didn't cross my mind because Putin seems to be the kind of chap who would avoid that option. But yeah, fair point.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 1, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

We all know Ukrainians don't exist so maybe Kyiv doesn't exist either?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

TheRat posted:

So you let someone in, figure out they're a wrong'un. Woops, now you have a asymul seeker that you cant return because he's a deserter so you get to keep him anyway.

JFC this is literally the world-wide right-wingers excuse for not taking in refugees, and a huge cause of suffering. "Oh, maybe 0.01% of them are terrorists/war criminals/gang members. Send them all back to their country to face torture just in case."

It's also entirely moot, because at the point you determine that your asylum seeker is a war criminal, congratulations, you found a war criminal and can send them to the Hague.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

JFC this is literally the world-wide right-wingers excuse for not taking in refugees, and a huge cause of suffering. "Oh, maybe 0.01% of them are terrorists/war criminals/gang members. Send them all back to their country to face torture just in case."

It's also entirely moot, because at the point you determine that your asylum seeker is a war criminal, congratulations, you found a war criminal and can send them to the Hague.

There's a difference between taking in refugees and taking in a literal fighting army of deserters.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Pookah posted:

I doubt the buildings have anything to do with it. The main benefit from rolling in and capturing the capital with minimal force and destruction is the demonstration of how unstoppable the invading force seems. That ripples down to all the people in the UA and civilians and influences their decision to continue fighting or not.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Shifty Pony posted:

The UA is very obviously extremely competent, but being fed intelligence, equipment, tactical and strategic counseling etc. from NATO/EU is a force multiplier we won't fully appreciate until this is long over.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheRat posted:

Only extend the asylum offer to enlisted men and NCO, not to officers, since they would be the ones responsible for any crimes. Alternatively only do vetting on officers, but do it all that much thoroughly.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

steinrokkan posted:

The problem people have with the concept of Russian oligarch is that they imagine them as American billionaires, the power behind the throne that moves all the strings, when in reality they are just feudal lords in an absolutist monarchy (where the monarch commands his own forces as well, independent of the oligarchs), they owe their fiefdoms to Putin. Doesn't mean they couldn't leverage them under certain conditions, but makes it unlikely and dangerous.

Billionaires are the same everywhere, they are motivated exclusively by money and wealth. They are entirely controlled by id.

I'm not expecting a palace coup, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

The problem people have with the concept of Russian oligarch is that they imagine them as American billionaires, the power behind the throne that moves all the strings, when in reality they are just feudal lords in an absolutist monarchy, they owe their fiefdoms to Putin. Doesn't mean they couldn't leverage them under certain conditions, but makes it unlikely and dangerous.

The king is the king until he’s not the king anymore.

All I think most people should be confident about saying is that we don’t know how this is going to play out. The response from the west to a local conflict is pretty unprecedented in the post soviet era.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Only extend the asylum offer to enlisted men and NCO, not to officers, since they would be the ones responsible for any crimes. Alternatively only do vetting on officers, but do it all that much thoroughly.

There's a fairly famous precedent that 'I was just following orders' isn't a valid excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Popete posted:

I take it you're not American.

Irish.
Our lovely politicians are fortunately still at the stage when the can be forced out by being shitbags about covid regs. Nowhere is perfect, but Ireland is generally very sensible, politically speaking. We don't do extremism.