Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

brugroffil posted:

IF the picture on the lower right is anything to judge by, it looks like a small research/test reactor at a lab or university.

Yes, Dubna is a nuclear research facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo don't even attempt to do this or joke about it :dogstare:

In regards to Anonymous claimng to hack a Reactor control of a nuclear plant in Russia

should probably go shout at 4chan then

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Putin doesnt even need a false flag now, unless that was the false flag. Just say they're hacking our nuclear reactors, need to start mass murdering their cities befote they turn us into metro 2033

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I'd imagine research reactors are way too small to meltdown

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

a podcast for cats posted:

I've been wondering whether the strong European response is driven by this to some extent. Between the Covid-19 fatigue in populations, antivaxxer and antimasker protests, rising cost of living and constant supply chain interruptions, Russian election interference could see a lot of success all over the place. Some governments could be motivated by interest in self-preservation.

Or they got salty because an European country was invaded. But sure, could be.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OctaMurk posted:

Putin doesnt even need a false flag now, unless that was the false flag. Just say they're hacking our nuclear reactors, need to start mass murdering their cities befote they turn us into metro 2033

They got thermometer readouts

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

TheRat posted:

There's a significant difference between massacring a retreating enemy when you're in their country and attacking a column of people trying to take yours. Highway of death was bad, bombing the poo poo out of a column advancing on your capital, however slowly, would not be.

The highway of death was in Kuwait, not Iraq. It was a massacre of retreating enemies, inside of the country that they had invaded.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

the popes toes posted:

Or they got salty because an European country was invaded. But sure, could be.

100% Europe is using this to fix a lot of poo poo vis a vis Russia that really, really needed to be addressed, but wasn't feasible.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Despera posted:

Man that got me a lot of probes

Still shocks me he was a mod tbh.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

For people freaking out.

JINR - Joint Institute for Nuclear Research

So it's more of a research centre and one of their equipment there ( I guess the picture on the bottom right).

So its not much of concern. It's not a power plant reactor.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

Putin has invaded a few days ago, what false flag would he need at all? He's already bombing Ukraine to denazify it.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Saladman posted:

Yeah, you start a war in a country to bring the people freedom obviously. I have no doubt that a huge number of high-ups in the US government unironically 100% truly believed they were doing that with Iraq, like they're George C. Marshall.

I don't know really anything about Russia, and based on Putin's speech it doesn't look like he's under an illusions of trying to help Ukraine, but definitely a large number of Americans & American government officials truly thought they were bringing peace and love to Iraq, hundreds of cruise missiles at a time. poo poo, maybe even George W Bush thought that. The US propaganda at the time certainly sold it as such.

Bush and his cronies knew what they wanted to achieve. It had nothing to do with freedom or peace. They needed something they could use as a justification to their planned actions. Then the false story of Iraqi soldiers going into hospitals and throwing newborn babies on the floor fell onto their laps. That story gave Bush the few more votes he needed for a war. Everyone outside of Bush's inner circle had been lied to or coerced in some way to vote for a war.

I agree with you though. Putin isn't hiding his intentions.

I hope Putin dies in a fire.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Dwesa posted:

isn't Dubna just nuclear research faciity and not 'a nuclear plant'? I remember it being mentioned in relation to superheavy elements research and such

That is what their IP info says.

https://whois.domaintools.com/159.93.95.20

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Especially as he was very open about invading - Western experts were the ones calling it a bluff.

That’s a curious point of view when the Russian media are currently forbidden from using the terms invasion or war to describe what has happened. Very open in this context excludes the Russian public and the ones doing the invading who believed they were on exercise.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm hoping if anything good comes from this it's the total destruction of Putin's soft power around the world. All his little fascist movements and alt-right political parties he funds will find themselves with much less money.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Despera posted:

I actually find that small ones tend to meltdown the most.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, this sounds like a lil baby reactor, sorta like the TRIGA reactors a lot of universities have

http://flnph.jinr.ru/en/facilities/ibr-2

Sucks for some scientists but no one's going to make chernobyl 2.0 with one.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Thats on the river Volga just north of Moscow. Used to have a Dachya 20 min away. Good times.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Especially as he was very open about invading - Western experts were the ones calling it a bluff. Again - none of that justifies the actions of putin who is a warmongering gently caress that deserves to rot in hell.

Are you loving kidding? Biden was the one saying it’s war and that he’s not bluffing. Putin was saying it was just military exercises for practice right up until well after tanks rolled across the border and he’s STILL saying it’s not a war.

You have your poo poo so absolutely backwards it’s insane.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Despera posted:

Most reactors can meltdown, but a smaller reactor will make less of a mess, especially since a research reactor probably has more safety features since they do more, well, experimental things with it.

They probably only got the monitoring equipment and not any actual control, still... scary.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

ryde posted:

The private TLS keys allow the hackers to do man in the middle attacks until they’re revoked.

Not a real concern here since simply going offline prevents anything beyond password harvesting. 2FA and/or forced password resets can handle this post-revocation.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty cool goons are such experts they know everything about this nuclear reactor in a snap!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
When it comes to cutting of Russia from SWIFT, is Sberbank really not mentioned?

> European Union ambassadors agreed to exclude seven Russian banks from the SWIFT financial-messaging system but spared the nation’s biggest lender Sberbank PJSC and a bank part-owned by Russian gas giant Gazprom PJSC.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-01/eu-agrees-to-block-russian-banks-from-swift-sparing-key-firms

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

kaaj posted:

When it comes to cutting of Russia from SWIFT, is Sberbank really not mentioned?

> European Union ambassadors agreed to exclude seven Russian banks from the SWIFT financial-messaging system but spared the nation’s biggest lender Sberbank PJSC and a bank part-owned by Russian gas giant Gazprom PJSC.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-01/eu-agrees-to-block-russian-banks-from-swift-sparing-key-firms

Their European branch basically immediately crumpled regardless.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pretty sure I read an article two weeks ahead of the invasion that was like "US officials believe Putin will attack Ukraine shortly after the Olympics"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Pretty cool goons are such experts they know everything about this nuclear reactor in a snap!

"Anonymous Hacked a Nuclear Reactor!!!" fear mongering isn't really something that is hard to disprove

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It was difficult for a lot of lefties to believe that Biden wasn't wagging the dog. It was also difficult to believe that Putin was that stupid, but then again he probably thought it would go about the same way as in 2014. The EU and the U.S. really stepped up this time, and Zelensky has proved an extremely effective orator.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74NAzzy9d_4 This is a TRIGA for reference, relatively small and low power and they're made to get interesting levels of output by "pulsing it" (the loud mechanical sounds in the video are are basically from the control rods being yanked out and slammed back in really quickly, and the blue light is from radiation producing cherenkov light in the water ). So you can get lots of power to irradiate things for experiments very safely because the system's only outputting that power for a tiny fraction of a second, and everything built in a way to fail safe.

A worst case scenario for one of these is that you have a messy room, not a messy country. Or like worrying about someone causing a train derailment because they got their hands on the controls of a model train set in your local hobby shop.

e. I have a PhD in physics so I'm at least vaguely able to navigate google and read webpages about reactors (and know that of course scientists would have the least secure network, lol).

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

"Anonymous Hacked a Nuclear Reactor!!!" fear mongering isn't really something that is hard to disprove

Seems they did hack a nuclear reactor, though. Goons saying "it's just the status page" and "a meltdown won't be that bad, it's just a research reactor after all!" without any actual knowledge is very typical SA posting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

Pretty sure I read an article two weeks ahead of the invasion that was like "US officials believe Putin will attack Ukraine shortly after the Olympics"

Absolutely. All the actual experts were warning that an invasion was coming, but nobody believed them, because it seemed too outlandish. And yeah, Russia is still denying this is a war rather than a peacekeeping action accompanied by Ukrainian false flag propaganda.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fame Douglas posted:

Seems they did hack a nuclear reactor, though. Goons saying "it's just the status page" and "a meltdown won't be that bad, it's just a research reactor after all!" without actually any actual knowledge is very typical SA posting.

Headlines "Plane crashes into tower!" kinda loses impact when it's revealed to be a model plane crashing into a jenga tower.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Headlines "Plane crashes into tower!" kinda loses impact when it's revealed to be a model plane crashing into a jenga tower.

Okay, what does that have to do with anything. Do you know the size of this nuclear reactor, or how large the fallout could be? Is it located in a city, like plenty of other research reactors?

Maybe goons don't need to act like an authority on every subject.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Seems they did hack a nuclear reactor, though. Goons saying "it's just the status page" and "a meltdown won't be that bad, it's just a research reactor after all!" without any actual knowledge is very typical SA posting.

their arguments are compelling though, you just seem to disagree on the basis of... you'd prefer to believe in the more catastrophic version?

if you're an expert, what is your rebuttal? or are you simply an unfocused cynic?

Fame Douglas posted:

Okay, what does that have to do with anything. Do you know the size of this nuclear reactor, or how large the fallout could be? Is it located in a city, like plenty of other research reactors?

are you such an authority on goons? is it a well paying field?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

Their European branch basically immediately crumpled regardless.

We're in a place now where ;

a) Association with the Putin regime is so incredibly toxic that everyone is severing ties all over the place less they be tainted by association
b) The sanctions imposed were so comprehensive that every long-term business relationship with Russia is rapidly being reassessed/exited because would you bet your business that you won't be touched by the next round of sanctions?

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1498766962549145602

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Okay, what does that have to do with anything. Do you know the size of this nuclear reactor, or how large the fallout could be?

Yeah, but I don't think you actually care about the answers.

It does have 69 fuel assemblies though :nice:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

their arguments are compelling though, you just seem to disagree on the basis of... you'd prefer to believe in the more catastrophic version?

if you're an expert, what is your rebuttal? or are you simply an unfocused cynic?

They really aren't, they're just goons shooting from the hip like usual. If you believe those posts, you seem unable to separate people with actual knowledge from people that just post. That doesn't mean I prefer the "catastrophic version", it means I can't really judge the impact of this event.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Maybe we dont need to poo poo ourselves because anon can now read its temp

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol could you imagine homework explainer being a mod right now during this

Any pro Ukrainian would be instantly 1 monthed.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

They really aren't, they're just goons shooting from the hip like usual. If you believe those posts, you seem unable to separate people with actual knowledge from people that just post.

i believe in other goons making generally believable claims more than i believe you being salty about goons knowing things that you disagree with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Despera posted:

Maybe we dont need to poo poo ourselves because anon can now read its temp

Yes, you're right. But that doesn't mean we need goons jumping in that know nothing about anything to assuage our fears.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i believe in other goons making generally believable claims more than i believe you being salty about goons knowing things that you disagree with

This just means you're easily influenced, hth.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)