Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Man, that sucks for that guy. "Because your President is evil, you have to either lose your awesome job or never be able to go home safely again. Take your pick!" It's not the world's biggest injustice (heh), and I understand the move, but still.

Mad respect for that combover game.

e: fooled by the headline, gently caress this guy, still a good combover though

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
:nms: more footage of the Hostomel airport assault early in the war, there was a couple helicopters hit.

https://twitter.com/HKaaman/status/1498784246412058627

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Man, that sucks for that guy. "Because your President is evil, you have to either lose your awesome job or never be able to go home safely again. Take your pick!" It's not the world's biggest injustice (heh), and I understand the move, but still.

He's very pro Putin and prominently supported the annexation of crimea.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

No, the dude's actually a huge Putin fan, and endorsed his takeover of Crimea in 2014. They should've sacked him them.

(and by "sacked", I mean they should have hit him in the face with a scrotum. And fired him.)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Algol Star posted:

He's very pro Putin and prominently supported the annexation of crimea.

Oh, okay - that's what I get for just reading the headline. An apolitical Russian conductor probably wouldn't have been pressured to denounce.

What a dick!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

:nms: more footage of the Hostomel airport assault early in the war, there was a couple helicopters hit.

You know if anyone is still questioning whether the Ukranian people have been mislead or tricked into fighting by their corrupt oligarchs or Zelenskyy, just play that first 20 seconds.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

steinrokkan posted:

Absolutely. All the actual experts were warning that an invasion was coming, but nobody believed them, because it seemed too outlandish. And yeah, Russia is still denying this is a war rather than a peacekeeping action accompanied by Ukrainian false flag propaganda.

How long until he claims that it's an internal skirmish between two factions in Western Russia?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes, you're right. But that doesn't mean we need goons jumping in that know nothing about anything to assuage our fears.

This just means you're easily influenced, hth.

honest question - if you're so suspicious of the idea of goons having expertise, why waste your time reading this thread?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

The Ukrainians have fought like heroes, but there are many pockets developing

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

honest question - if you're so suspicious of the idea of goons having expertise, why read this thread?

Goons have absolutely no expertise, but I like just posting. It's the same as the rest of the internet, but with more stringent moderation. If you're here because you think goons have some kind of special expertise, I pity you.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I'm no expert in thermodynamics but I believe the smaller the object is the easier it is to reduce its temperature. I also know that research reactors are generally smaller than the ones used in power producing .

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

This just means you're easily influenced, hth.

For not taking the tweet "Anonymous took over a nuclear plant" as gospel?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Lol so many posts about a nonentity reactor screenshot

Meanwhile in Moscow dangerous dissidents are being arrested for trying to incite against the government

Oh wait no it's literal tiny children

https://twitter.com/mashant/status/1498797359303643136?t=LPIEeQSc9UDhbMP3dmXV8Q&s=19

And in Irpin just outside Kyiv volunteers are evacuating the city ahead of the Russian Army via a makeshift footbridge in place of the former Bridge, which was blown up to slow said Russians.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1498775585841025024?t=FSVz7qbJs-h0PzGVT-92ew&s=19

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 2, 2022

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Arzachel posted:

Thank you. I don't know poo poo about reactors or whether that's a research reactor or whether that makes it any less dangerous, but the minute you see a headline like that it's reasonable to assume it's sensationalized in one way or another until proven otherwise.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arzachel posted:

No, but maybe work on your reading comprehension issues.

New Coke posted:

Thank you. I don't know poo poo about reactors or whether that's a research reactor or whether that makes it any less dangerous, but the minute you see a headline like that it's reasonable to assume it's a sensationalized in one way or another until proven otherwise.

Eh, what? I never said you should be alarmed at that headline, just that goons googling the reactor and spitting out "facts" isn't helping bring clarity to the situation, either.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

New Coke posted:

Thank you. I don't know poo poo about reactors or whether that's a research reactor or whether that makes it any less dangerous, but the minute you see a headline like that it's reasonable to assume it's sensationalized in one way or another until proven otherwise.

there's really no way to tell if anything is true or not, so it doesn't matter. i just stumble blindly through life bumping into stimuli without forming any greater comprehension. this is the only way to not be a fascist

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

KitConstantine posted:

Lol so many posts about a nonentity reactor screenshot

Meanwhile in Moscow dangerous dissidents are being arrested for trying to incite against the government

Oh wait no it's literal tiny children

https://twitter.com/mashant/status/1498797359303643136?t=LPIEeQSc9UDhbMP3dmXV8Q&s=19

Anyone got some "you're in timeout" jokes

No but thats terrible

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

there's really no way to tell if anything is true or not, so it doesn't matter. i just stumble blindly through life bumping into stimuli without forming any greater comprehension. this is the only way to not be a fascist

Wow, sound like you should really trust the expertise of goons, then. Glad we settled that, SA is really a hive of truths, and not plenty of misinformation.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

OctaMurk posted:

Modern military noob here. Can someone explain to me the flare like bursts coming out of the helicopters? My guess is that those aren't offensive weapons but are meant to throw off targeting missiles coming towards them?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

jmnmu posted:

Modern military noob here. Can someone to explain to me the flare like bursts coming out of the helicopters? My guess is that those aren't offensive weapons but are meant to throw off targeting missiles coming towards them?

Those are flares, to try to throw off the seeker heads of surface-to-air missiles, yes.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

jmnmu posted:

Modern military noob here. Can someone to explain to me the flare like bursts coming out of the helicopters? My guess is that those aren't offensive weapons but are meant to throw off targeting missiles coming towards them?

Correct. Aircraft poop out flares to confuse heat seekers. In some aircraft this is automated, where you enable the system and it starts flaring if it detects a launch via, eg, little IR cameras watching the ground. I have no idea if Russian gear has these kinds of systems but if you see US birds with little web cam looking things, that's the kind of stuff they're for.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

quote:

This is some guy on twitter claiming to have hacked a nuclear reactor, dude.

Edit: Might have gotten whooshed here.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

(CW: War) Ukraine v Russia: Please do not hack nuclear reactors.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Gervasius posted:

It absolutely didn't happen, the "ghost of Kiev" was invented by War Thunder streamer and kinda rolled from there.

lol maybe, but here's how things seemed to have gone down:

1. twitter videos are shared of a Ukrainian jet(s) over Kyiv, which was surprising because people were expecting overwhelming Russian air dominance
2. twitter posts are shared that mention an amazing, lone, "ghost of Kyiv" jet fighter standing up to the Russian assault
3. people start calling any Ukrainian jet in any video the "ghost of Kyiv"
4. this inspires video gamer streamer dude to make a ghost of Kyiv fan fiction video, which he posts on twitter
5. everyone shares that video as if it's real, 69,000 times
6. everyone learns it's fake
7. people start claiming that video game guy started the whole thing

It would be 1000x dumber and funnier if it all originated from a video game though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Unless you are the safety cut-rope axe man, in which case it is literally your job.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

loving here's the Twitter list I'm using.

https://twitter.com/i/lists/1495215642760208387?t=RPcL8hEYVEqS85xYPeLIMw&s=09

Just please, for the love of God, post about real poo poo thats going down instead of fake loving hacking posts

The city of Zhytomyr, a suburb of Kyiv, was bombed to the loving ground today. Here it is in flames. Right now.

:nms: https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1498777182658863105?t=bEZk4QjOoFVc1-O7ye8H9A&s=19

gently caress

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

kaaj posted:

When it comes to cutting of Russia from SWIFT, is Sberbank really not mentioned?

> European Union ambassadors agreed to exclude seven Russian banks from the SWIFT financial-messaging system but spared the nation’s biggest lender Sberbank PJSC and a bank part-owned by Russian gas giant Gazprom PJSC.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-01/eu-agrees-to-block-russian-banks-from-swift-sparing-key-firms

They removed Sberbank from the list because it's so tied to the energy sector apparently, which I assume means that some european countries needs to somehow conduct bank transactions to pay for russian gas.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
And for radar sealing missiles they will drop chaff which is basically tons of strips of foil effectively.

A couple years ago a US airframe on the Indiana/Kentucky border dropped chaff and it was detected on weather radar for hours afterward.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Ukraine has one trained fighter pilot and he just keeps ejecting and getting into new planes.

stealing russian migs out of the sky with a tractor

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FishBulbia posted:

The Ukrainians have fought like heroes, but there are many pockets developing

in which the red on the map is mostly patriotic ukranian mud forcing russian forces onto the highways?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

loving here's the Twitter list I'm using.

https://twitter.com/i/lists/1495215642760208387?t=RPcL8hEYVEqS85xYPeLIMw&s=09

Just please, for the love of God, post about real poo poo thats going down instead of fake loving hacking posts

The city of Zhytomyr, a suburb of Kyiv, was bombed to the loving ground today. Here it is in flames. Right now.

:nms: https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1498777182658863105?t=bEZk4QjOoFVc1-O7ye8H9A&s=19

gently caress

gently caress

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wistful of Dollars posted:

(CW:War) Ukraine v Russia: Hacking nuclear reactors is a steppe too far

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Whoops

https://news.yahoo.com/belarusian-president-displays-map-suggesting-222320415.html

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Alchenar posted:

(CW:War) Ukraine v Russia: Hacking nuclear reactors is a steppe too far

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This conversation started out with the claim the TOW, a wire guided missile, can't fly over water. It is in fact something you control.

Former Marine TOW gunner here.

It's hard enough to hit a stationary target on land with no cover, I wouldn't even want to think about trying to hit something in the water with one. First when you fire it it's loud, like my hearing will never recover from forgetting to put hearing protection on one time at the range loud, second you lose visibility for the first few seconds due to the exhaust gasses released by the launch motor. finally guidance comes down to trying to keep the destination point on target, You are trying to keep a small target reticle over a object at a distance and if you've ever tried to track an object through a scope is not the easiest thing in the world requiring small steady corrections. To hit something like a landing craft in the water which will be moving and bobbing erratically would require you fly the TOW above the surface and then try to push it down at the last instant without breaking the wire which would be extremely difficult given that it's fast and you don't necessarily have a good idea of where it is relative to the target in the course of flight which is why generally the way you fire is get it out of the tube without flinching too much and messing with the flight path at launch then use micro corrections (because you don't want to break the guidance wire) to ease it back onto target. This would probably be easier with the APC mounted hammer head model but you're still having to deal with the period of no visibility and the fact that any rapid course corrections have the risk of breaking the guidance wire.

If I were targeting a landing craft I'd just wait until it came ashore when it's fully exposed and vulnerable anyway.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Rah! posted:

stealing russian migs out of the sky with a tractor

All of his air to air kills are just him ejecting in mid air and hijacking the enemy plane.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Skex posted:

It's hard enough to hit a stationary target on land with no cover, I wouldn't even want to think about trying to hit something in the water with one. First when you fire it it's loud, like my hearing will never recover from forgetting to put hearing protection on one time at the range loud, second you lose visibility for the first few seconds due to the exhaust gasses released by the launch motor. finally guidance comes down to trying to keep the destination point on target, You are trying to keep a small target reticle over a object at a distance and if you've ever tried to track an object through a scope is not the easiest thing in the world requiring small steady corrections. To hit something like a landing craft in the water which will be moving and bobbing erratically would require you fly the TOW above the surface and then try to push it down at the last instant without breaking the wire which would be extremely difficult given that it's fast and you don't necessarily have a good idea of where it is relative to the target in the course of flight which is why generally the way you fire is get it out of the tube without flinching too much and messing with the flight path at launch then use micro corrections (because you don't want to break the guidance wire) to ease it back onto target. This would probably be easier with the APC mounted hammer head model but you're still having to deal with the period of no visibility and the fact that any rapid course corrections have the risk of breaking the guidance wire.

If I were targeting a landing craft I'd just wait until it came ashore when it's fully exposed and vulnerable anyway.

out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on all the syrians who got 2km+ tow shots down to an art?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Skex posted:

And people say goons dont have expertise

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

All of his air to air kills are just him ejecting in mid air and hijacking the enemy plane.

Fellow loves a good game of Battlefield 2022 I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Didn't we already discuss that was indication that Transnistrian troops would attack Odessa?