Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

dominoeffect posted:

I don't know if I'd say that Russia is one of the world's largest economies. To me, "one of the largest" means top 3 or top 5 maybe. According to Wikipedia, it's in the 11th spot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal).

Purchasing Power Parity is probably a better gauge, since the Russian rouble has been abnormally weak since 2014 or so but it has a lot of natural resources and domestic manufacturing. A lot of higher GDP countries have large financial sectors, which move a lot of magic numbers around but don't matter on fundamentals. That makes Russia #6, still out of the top 5 and behind Germany, but more respectable.

Giant caveat is we have absolutely no idea what the impact of sanctions will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The retreating column was following a UN resolution which required them to return to Iraq. They were obeying international demands to end the conflict by abandoning the invasion. The international community gave Iraq an off ramp, which they took, and then the US bombed the poo poo out of them anyway. This isn't even touching on the obvious use of disproportionate force. The Iraqi soldiers were not innocent little lambs, but the decision to box the column in and just kill as many as possible wasn't an ethical use of force.

The resolution you speak of was in August of 1990, the turkey shoot was on the following latter half of February so basically you are full of poo poo.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

That's fair. I think we're in consensus in general, we just disagree on how significant the propaganda portion is? Thank you for the discussion.

I am not a pacifist. And to reiterate, I hate nazis. I also despise war. As such, I think the people of Ukraine are largely better off by accommodating an unjust peace in the short term, which allows them to live, prevents continued infrastructure destruction, and gives the world time to pressure & sanction Russia away from Ukraine. If that fails there is seemingly a never ending supply of new war options. Give peace a chance first.

lol

i am a moron posted:

*points gun at u*

Give peace a chance, bitch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Well seems like reality is setting in in Russia. Though this job sounds impossible

https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1498817237565779970?t=iIx2UmRnqjWAT3K0gpHoKg&s=19

Original source is the Twitter of Moscow News

So, the background here is that there’s been a long running saga of finding импортозамещения, or replacements for imports. As you may expect, quite frequently this is a simple grift where functional poo poo gets replace by a barely adequate domestic “equivalent”, that is not at all guaranteed to be cheaper.

This is going to be quite the spectacle.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

*artillery barrages multiple cities*

give peace a chance!

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

William Bear posted:

https://twitter.com/nancyayoussef/status/1498809357349408776?t=VxfHP-P3HmPqXbVh76Xe7g&s=19

Russian airlines are going to have to completely redraw all their routes.

Is this news, or beatnik poetry?

The whole airline industry in Russia got sanctioned very hard. They no longer are allowed to procure parts for Airbus/Boeing and maintenance contracts will not be able to be fulfilled. I believe most commercial planes are on a rolling maintenance program where maintenance is done in a progressive fashion to keep the downtime low. They're only taken down for longer when serious maintenance needs to be done. Due to them not being able to import parts, I imagine a lot of the planes will become unairworthy fast. That's assuming that they even have routes to fly depending on how long this goes.

dominoeffect fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 2, 2022

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Play posted:

I mean, it COULD easily be true. You just don't know. Which is why its effective, even if it introduced only the tiniest sliver of doubt.

Or if it is literally true.

It’s better that it’s not true, because the FSB will still have to investigate and if no leaker is found, it just heightens the paranoia.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So, the background here is that there’s been a long running saga of finding импортозамещения, or replacements for imports. As you may expect, quite frequently this is a simple grift where functional poo poo gets replace by a barely adequate domestic “equivalent”, that is not at all guaranteed to be cheaper.

Where else would you go for barely functional poo poo to replace actual useable products than China?

I wonder if you can measure Russian IP access to aliexpress

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm impressed they're giving them 8 days to do it instead of an hour surprise notice.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

dominoeffect posted:

The whole airline industry in Russia got sanctioned very hard. They no longer are allowed to procure parts for Airbus/Boeing and maintenance contracts will not be able to be fulfilled. I believe most commercial planes are on a rolling maintenance program where maintenance is done in a progressive fashion to keep the downtime low. They're only taken down for longer times when serious maintenance needs to be done. Due to them not being able to import parts, I imagine a lot of the planes will become unairworthy fast. That's assuming that they even have routes to fly depending on how long this goes.

Honestly with all the closures I don't really know if they can turn a profit. They might shutter for a bit.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Its not a list unless its visible in putins hands and the photo was taken in the last 5 minutes

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Mellow Seas posted:

If "we found out your plans from your most trusted intelligence officials :smug:" is a ploy that random goons and twitter users can see through instantly, I can't imagine that it would be that effective.

That said, Putin is probably already the maximum amount of paranoid about literally everyone, judging from how he meets with people.

it is kind of an obvious psyop. if a fsb official did tell you, the absolute last thing you'd do is tell everyone that's how you found out and thereby risk your source's life.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Honestly with all the closures I don't really know if they can turn a profit. They might shutter for a bit.

Shuttering an airline is basically the same as declaring bankruptcy, there are so many extant costs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Play posted:

Where else would you go for barely functional poo poo to replace actual useable products than China?

I wonder if you can measure Russian IP access to aliexpress

Getting stuff from China still is an act of importing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dante posted:

Russia is both one of the worlds largest economies and the second largest weapon exporter after the US, and they have spent decades behind an iron curtain before. Aside from that, these sanctions are from the west which aren't in the habit of supplying military grade parts to Russia anyway. They still have a working relationship with plenty of countries, including a bunch of basically client states. Much like the 1990 prequel to this, it's more likely to be the cost of supplying the army rather than the supplies that will be the problem.

Russias economy isn’t even in the top 10.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Which I assume is going to be more noticeable than to the average USSR citizen who only ever had the soviet experience. China will still be a route for a lot of stuff but there's not going to be any iPhones or flying off to Milan for handbag shopping.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I'm impressed they're giving them 8 days to do it instead of an hour surprise notice.

Would be unfair to give fewer than 6 days to build an Airbus factory in Vorkuta.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Getting stuff from China still is an act of importing.

It says to replace 'imports that are now sanctioned', are all imports sanctioned from China? I assume this means fairly regular poo poo as well as more complex stuff?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

If "we found out your plans from your most trusted intelligence officials :smug:" is a ploy that random goons and twitter users can see through instantly, I can't imagine that it would be that effective.

That said, Putin is probably already the maximum amount of paranoid about literally everyone, judging from how he meets with people.

Except it's supported by a thwarted airborne invasion that took everyone by surprise, except the Ukrainians, and that bulk of the Ukrainian Air Force was airborne the moment missiles struck their airbases, so they got intelligence of the assault and strikes and more well in advance.

Shitshow posted:

It’s better that it’s not true, because the FSB will still have to investigate and if no leaker is found, it just heightens the paranoia.

And it'll give those looking to advance or get rid of a rival an opportunity to do so by framing others as traitors. It'll create an environment where betrayal and double-guessing that creates hesitation and hinders the truth. They won't be able to trust one another or any information they've reported or analyzed because "this might be the thing that gets me against a wall in the near future".

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 2, 2022

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1498748199116447744

gently caress Rubio, I know he's implying he wants a no-fly zone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

Which I assume is going to be more noticeable than to the average USSR citizen who only ever had the soviet experience. China will still be a route for a lot of stuff but there's not going to be any iPhones or flying off to Milan for handbag shopping.

It’s not going to be total, this will first focus on state enterprises. For instance, replacing foreign-made computers or software with Russian-made. 😄

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1498748199116447744

gently caress Rubio, I know he's implying he wants a no-fly zone

I mean, what about a Berlin Airlift type food resupply? I don't know how that would work logistically without fratricide or escalation, but I also don't know how to avoid a catastrophic starvation of a city under siege in 2022.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Play posted:

It says to replace 'imports that are now sanctioned', are all imports sanctioned from China? I assume this means fairly regular poo poo as well as more complex stuff?

China cannot magic wand sanctioned quite anything into Russia. Especially stuff like airplane parts, manufactured solely in Europe.

Stuff that’s originally Chinese is the last thing on Russia’s mind right now.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Eregos posted:

This is why I want to rush weapons into Ukraine ASAP. Because the Ukrainian people are going to fight - this descending into a horrible slaughter can't really be avoided. The question is whether we give them a fighting chance or not. It seems better to help them fight, and try to break the will of the Russian military, which seems fragile, like the Iranians broke the Iraqi army's will in 1980's.

What’s the best way to donate money right now?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Velius posted:

I mean, what about a Berlin Airlift type food resupply? I don't know how that would work logistically without fratricide or escalation, but I also don't know how to avoid a catastrophic starvation of a city under siege in 2022.

Russians would just shoot down the aircraft, as is.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Russians have not been insulated from the costs of this war like Americans were. If it goes to attrition I don’t see Russia being able to last even a year with the sacrifices they’re being forced to make.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

William Bear posted:

https://twitter.com/nancyayoussef/status/1498809357349408776?t=VxfHP-P3HmPqXbVh76Xe7g&s=19

Russian airlines are going to have to completely redraw all their routes.

Is this news, or beatnik poetry?

So is it only aeroflot you cant fly into russia? are other carriers still flying us-russia

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Velius posted:

It's a big jump to assume Russia is going to try and cut off food. They allowed humanitarian corridors in Grozny and even the Syrian regime had them sometimes. I really doubt it's a strategy, not because they're kind-hearted but because it is pointless. It takes months to starve a city, and they do not wish for this war to take months.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

They also need domestic replacements for investment in their pipelines! Coming right up Putin sir!

https://twitter.com/scunningha/status/1498813361059942408?t=XWboRSXhbj9gOMbs_SNgXg&s=19

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Snowy posted:

What’s the best way to donate money right now?

There’s a good collection of civilian resources in the our SA donation thread. There’s also https://ukrainewar.carrd.co/ maintained by Ukrainian journalists. If you would like to donate to Ukrainian army directly, there are instructions on Ukraine’s official Twitter account (may need to scroll a couple days back).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Kherson appears to be at least partially in Russian hands, with Russian equipment near the city hall, port, and train station.
https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/03/2/7327301/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
UNGA session beginning now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-MYekTKGkQ

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Meanwhile, on Russian prime time television:

https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1498680010315550722?t=6hgOy51aQiQu1snD6toaZQ&s=19

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

What airlines are those flights that are seemingly still crossing EU-Russian borders?

Anyway given the aftermath of two years of COVID tbh this border shutdown is going to be pretty irrelevant for passenger transit. Things like CargoLux and FedEx and whatever seems like it will have a bigger impact - let alone Maersk.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Saladman posted:

What airlines are those flights that are seemingly still crossing EU-Russian borders?

Anyway given the aftermath of two years of COVID tbh this border shutdown is going to be pretty irrelevant for passenger transit. Things like CargoLux and FedEx and whatever seems like it will have a bigger impact - let alone Maersk.

Restrictions apply to Russian airlines, and stuff organised on Russia’s behalf. If German Lufthansa decides to do a Moscow roundtrip from Berlin, they may fly directly (assuming no Russian restrictions).

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

This appears to be a link to a session nine hours old?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/leehudson_/status/1498783931629408256

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

They also need domestic replacements for investment in their pipelines! Coming right up Putin sir!

https://twitter.com/scunningha/status/1498813361059942408?t=XWboRSXhbj9gOMbs_SNgXg&s=19

Nah, Exxon is staying. Just not expanding. Those fucks.

e: NO! I'm wrong. Good for them.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

China cannot magic wand sanctioned quite anything into Russia. Especially stuff like airplane parts, manufactured solely in Europe.

Stuff that’s originally Chinese is the last thing on Russia’s mind right now.

Hmm, okay. It would probably help if I knew what exactly was sanctioned and from where. I've noticed a lot of announcements but it's a bit of patchwork and hard to keep in mind.

I was thinking about fairly normal everyday stuff that people buy. Consumer electronics, appliances, clothing, general consumer products, etc. Are those things still going in?

But yeah airplane parts, fossil fuel extraction and refining stuff, etc. will be interesting it seems.

I know this is state TV but has the gravity of the situation really not hit them? The stock market being closed, people banned from moving money out of the country, banks banned from swift, etc.? Or have they just not even mentioned those things on TV yet?

I wonder how Russians think that's going to be resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Maybe, maybe not but NOW IS CERTAINLY NOT THE TIME SHUT THE gently caress UP RUBIO

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1498825760924176391?t=aB23PcN0MYxS5OhqvwWAZA&s=19