Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The endless Nazis in Ukraine talk Russia continues to spew feels a lot like what the right has done in the US: "most of the world is too smart to know it's bullshit, but dammit, we're going to keep hammering it home to whoever's willing to listen!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cythereal posted:

Also seeing some interesting talk online from folks familiar with the climate and terrain: part of Russia's difficulty advancing, in particular the near-total lack of cross-country mobility, seems to be because Russia is getting stuck in the Chernobog.

quote:

Also, the Slavs have a strange delusion. At their feasts and carousals, they pass about a bowl over which they utter words, I should not say of consecration but of execration, in the name of [two] gods—of the good one, as well as of the bad one—professing that all propitious fortune is arranged by the good god, adverse, by the bad god. Hence, also, in their language they call the bad god Diabol, or Zcerneboch, that is, the black god.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobog

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They won't be, as part of the thing to being welcomed into NATO is solving border disputes first.

Did you mean the EU?

No, I wasn't aware of that being a part of joining NATO. Carry on.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They won't be, as part of the thing to being welcomed into NATO is solving border disputes first.

Did you mean the EU?

There's a waiver for everything.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Chernobog was also the name of the nightmare fuel character depicted in the Night on Bald Mountain sequence at the end of Fantasia.

If he'd like to rise and annihilate Putin, we'd all be much obliged.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I was told in the discord talking about it that it's a nickname for the marshy region along Ukraine's northern border, sorry.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Biden says he's sending US troops to defend NATO, not the Ukraine. So what happens if Ukraine is admitted to NATO, under urgency?

That’s not going to happen on any timeline that could affect this conflict. Ukraine (not the Ukraine) applied for fast-track EU membership, which I don’t think has any defensive implications other than that if Putin wanted to isolate Ukraine from the West he couldn’t have hosed it up any more.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

orange juche posted:

Some of the psychic damage kf the last 5 years is my wondering sometimes if there even is a rule of law anymore. Does some stuff written on paper that has been followed for xx years matter now that we no longer have a shared reality?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

orange juche posted:

I realize that, but I see the EU as more of a realistic possibility first. Once they clear that hurdle, NATO will be more likely to waive the border dispute requirement.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That’s not going to happen on any timeline that could affect this conflict. Ukraine (not the Ukraine) applied for fast-track EU membership, which I don’t think has any defensive implications other than that if Putin wanted to isolate Ukraine from the West he couldn’t have hosed it up any more.

It really was the worst move if their long term goal was trying to fracture the bigger powers and isolate the smaller ones. Again, none of this makes sense at all. I still think he's sick

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Some of the psychic damage kf the last 5 years is my wondering sometimes if there even is a rule of law anymore. Does some stuff written on paper that has been followed for xx years matter now that we no longer have a shared reality?

Rule of law assumes that everyone is a rational actor. Once you discard that notion, things get a lot nastier.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I was told in the discord talking about it that it's a nickname for the marshy region along Ukraine's northern border, sorry.

Those are the Pripyat Marshes, which I could see how someone could get mixed up with Chernobog, since it kinds sounds like it could be a portmanteau of Chernobyl and Bog.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Naked Bear posted:

No no no, you don't get it. They're ironically rooting for the not-USSR to win.

Yea, just like all those totally IRONIC racial jokes! Or the totally IRONIC nazi poo poo!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hey thanks all y'all for telling that dude to gently caress off while I was pounding scotch and phoning my lady friend

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I wonder how much loving different things would play out if Trump were in office. “No, we aren’t supporting them. It’s their battle. I’m withdrawing from NATO.”

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bennyfactor posted:

Those are the Pripyat Marshes, which I could see how someone could get mixed up with Chernobog, since it kinds sounds like it could be a portmanteau of Chernobyl and Bog.

Russian vehicles certainly seem to be churning a bog right now, from the photos I've seen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

Or we’re severely underestimating how absurdly loud bears are.

This is definitely the case. Those counterrotating props are not quiet. I don't think those Bears were above 20k feet, but they're not just chilling at 5k either.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bennyfactor posted:

Umm yeah that’s actually what I thought when I first read it. Also Chernobog is an awesome name.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Hey thanks all y'all for telling that dude to gently caress off while I was pounding scotch and phoning my lady friend

He probably realized that since the argument couldn’t be won, it was a mistake to continue to defend it :rimshot:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/MatthewBevan/status/1498815462951763970
https://twitter.com/matthewbevan/status/1498817469448097792?s=21

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cythereal posted:

No apparently you are correct it is one of those same name two things not coincidence type thing

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Umm yeah that’s actually what I thought when I first read it. Also Chernobog is an awesome name.

Chernobog is (supposedly, written records are sparse at best) one of the evil gods from pre-Christian Slavic mythology, mixing cherno (black) and bog (god).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

"Chernobog" calls to mind a radioactive bog-monster that eats anything that dares enter it's domain.

Not a huge stretch from the truth, especially for any vehicles that try to go in.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Its also what Cherno Alpha (RIP) is named for

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Its also what Cherno Alpha (RIP) is named for

Pacific Rim was very underrated.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Does anyone know/have a citation for the history of Ukraine vs The Ukraine thing? I find it to be a really weird thing to have come around as a sticking point in conversations over Ukrainian sovereignty because neither Russian nor Ukrainian have any grammar defining definite vs indefinite articles. It's why native Russian speakers who are learning English constantly drop both definite and indefinite articles from speech. (Like privately I question if it would even occur to a native east-slavic speaker to ponder the political implications of grammar of this type)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

https://twitter.com/Sharon_Kuruvila/status/1498783650283937800

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

nwin posted:

I wonder how much loving different things would play out if Trump were in office. “No, we aren’t supporting them. It’s their battle. I’m withdrawing from NATO.”

I'm half convinced US troops would be on the ground supporting Russia.

slorb
May 14, 2002
If you want an emotional understanding of how ruinous Ukrainian mud can be, Mudrunner is really good training. I think it is set in Siberia instead but it is still cursed demon mud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul5KwAK2Uw

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Negotiated settlement:

Russia goes back to its 2014 borders, and in exchange…

Nah I really don’t see how there’s a negotiated settlement possible here.

Depends.

None of these are related:

If Russia is pulling all the dissenting voices off the air domestically, and arresting antiwar protesters en masse;
A 40km traffic jam is allowed to peacefully run out of fuel and food in the late Ukrainian winter/early spring*; and,
Great Leader is keeping everyone out of physical attacking distance
*: assuming that this (a) happens and (b) anyone in Russia finds out about it.

Read together they suggest the ground shifting under Putin's feet, domestically.

Bank runs and food shortages aren't likely to improve this.

Would Putin come to the table? Not in this reality. But his successor?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm still floored by two major petroleum companies pulling out as well as loving Boeing telling Russia to get hosed.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

"Chernobog" calls to mind a radioactive bog-monster that eats anything that dares enter it's domain.

Not a huge stretch from the truth, especially for any vehicles that try to go in.

I take it you haven't seen Fantasia? Because that's pretty much their depiction.

E- And, again, for emphasis, that sequence is Nightmare Fuel at a level to the point that I haven't seen it probably 30 years. I'm not religious, but if I have any vision of what entering hell might be, it's that nearly 100 year old piece of animation.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 2, 2022

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Re: Mud in Ukraine, on twitter I remember seeing a Ukrainian (or maybe Russian) word for the spring/fall season where it's either rainy or all the snow is melting, and mud means you basically can't do anything. I lost it in all the doomscrolling, though. I don't suppose anyone knows what I'm talking about?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

Re: Mud in Ukraine, on twitter I remember seeing a Ukrainian (or maybe Russian) word for the spring/fall season where it's either rainy or all the snow is melting, and mud means you basically can't do anything. I lost it in all the doomscrolling, though. I don't suppose anyone knows what I'm talking about?
Rasputitsa

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm still floored by two major petroleum companies pulling out as well as loving Boeing telling Russia to get hosed.

I suspect they think they won’t have to distance themselves for long. I have no proof of that, just a hunch

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

One of Putins first responses was to talk about confiscating foreign assets in Russia. Minute he said that I'm sure every capitalist in the world decided to nope out.

This whole crisis has made me suspect that Putin just fundamentally does not understand how the western, democratic, capitalist world functions.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

That was it! Thank you.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No apparently you are correct it is one of those same name two things not coincidence type thing

It seemed like a fairly apt and intentional pun.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm half convinced US troops would be on the ground supporting Russia.

That's almost dumb enough, but it would have to be like the Alabama National Guard getting sent there for full Trumpiness. And being led by... *rolls dice* a college buddy of *roll* Don Jr.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It seemed like a fairly apt and intentional pun.

That's almost dumb enough, but it would have to be like the Alabama National Guard getting sent there for full Trumpiness. And being led by... *rolls dice* a college buddy of *roll* Don Jr.

Pretty sure Senator General Tubberville would have his forces collapse faster than a Russian tank column can run out of gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Spoggerific posted:

Rasputitsa