Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I was going to make a glib post about "he won't" but despite putting in more effort than Rothfuss ever has in book three, I couldn't care enough to write two words.

It's still two words more than he's ever written in book 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Kchama posted:

I was going to make a glib post about "he won't" but despite putting in more effort than Rothfuss ever has in book three, I couldn't care enough to write two words.

It's still two words more than he's ever written in book 3.

Whenever I feel sad about how long it took to complete my dissertation , I think of Rothfuss and don't feel so bad anymore.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Even if you think Sanderson writes trash, today's announcement really puts Pat's complete failure to produce anything but the most trite side stories to Kingkiller in the last ten years into a really stark perspective.

Edit: Writing 4 additional books due to having more free time because of the pandemic, and releasing all of them in one year (2023), while also releasing a big, regularly scheduled book in November 22 is should really shame Pat into finishing Kingkiller 3.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 1, 2022

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What was the announcement?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Sanderson has been having such a hard time being stuck home in pandemic quarantine that he wrote four more books on top of the already scheduled ones.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Rothfuss had cherrios to eat and video games to play.

Don't try and control someone's creative process.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Does Sanderson play games? Games can be a big timesink.

I wonder how else Sanderson could have idled their time away

mewse
May 2, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

Does Sanderson play games? Games can be a big timesink.

I doubt he spends much time gaming. In his vid he has big pie charts of how he spent time pre-pandemic vs 2020/2021, he literally spreadsheets his time consumption. I know a lot of people don't like his work but he's the most disciplined living author that I know of.

If Rothfuss kept track of anything via spreadsheets I imagine it would be his cheerios boxes

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mewse posted:

I doubt he spends much time gaming. In his vid he has big pie charts of how he spent time pre-pandemic vs 2020/2021, he literally spreadsheets his time consumption. I know a lot of people don't like his work but he's the most disciplined living author that I know of.

If Rothfuss kept track of anything via spreadsheets I imagine it would be his cheerios boxes

Yeah, I really wish he'd min-maxed for writing talent and not time management.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

Even if you think Sanderson writes trash, today's announcement really puts Pat's complete failure to produce anything but the most trite side stories to Kingkiller in the last ten years into a really stark perspective.

Edit: Writing 4 additional books due to having more free time because of the pandemic, and releasing all of them in one year (2023), while also releasing a big, regularly scheduled book in November 22 is should really shame Pat into finishing Kingkiller 3.

Rothfuss at some point realized he's a fraud who got lucky and that's why he's doing everything he can to avoid writing Doors of Stone.

mewse posted:

Or the women he's creeped on at conventions since he's a sexpest just like his hero, Joss Whedon.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Imo it'll come out eventually that brando sando works with ghostwriters (and there's nothing wrong, shameful or uncreative about that)

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019
There's nothing good about writing a lot. If you write badly, it's a bad thing that you produce a lot of material.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Horizon Burning posted:

Imo it'll come out eventually that brando sando works with ghostwriters (and there's nothing wrong, shameful or uncreative about that)

It’s funny there’s another Mormon writer of which similar allegations have been made. At the same time if you just type out whatever and don’t edit you can absolutely shut out books. Piers Anthony is also intensely prolific.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Piers Anthony. That’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. What’s a good prolific writer?

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Terry Pratchett put out at least a book a year. I think Iain [M.] Banks did as well.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mewse posted:

There’s romance and cozy mystery writers who write more. He’s just the biggest traditionally published author. The truth of the matter is I think a lot of trade publishers authors are a bit full of themselves in terms of being artists.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Horizon Burning posted:

It's simply the writing itself that is all those things.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I doubt Sanderson is working with ghost writers at this point (and I'm not including his non-Cosmere stuff that he explicitly said he would be working with co-authors on starting a couple of years ago) he is just very good at time management. He writes 8 hours a day, every day, like it's his job (because it is). If he doesn't know what to write, he still writes. He can always go back later and edit but he still puts words on a page. Rothfuss's issue is that he doesn't treat writing like it's his job and he only "writes" when he has inspiration, so if he doesn't force himself to do it it'll never get done.

If Brandon Sanderson is good at anything it's understanding that writing is a craft, not a purely artistic pursuit, and he treats it as such.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Piers Anthony. That’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. What’s a good prolific writer?

Joe Abercrombie was pretty prolific for a while but slowed down after 12 books in 15 years. He's not really running any more series at this point.

Most writers like Sanderson, N.K Jemesin, etc. write several hours a day because it's their job and how their keep their bills paid. Jemesin was working full time while releasing her first trilogy and up until she started a patreon because she didn't make enough money from writing to quit.

For all the complaints, Rothfuss is or was a millionaire from the books, was a burgeoning fantasy titan being compared to the past greats and feted by all sorts of media offers for adapting his series. He definitely had no pressing need or requirement to grind out 10k words a day to try and get through any creative block and instead turned his attention to his own personal desires, lots of writing for things like Rick and Morty and video games. He doesn't have to write at all. Add in his scam charity that he's basically got north of 6 figures coming in every year in a low cost of living area and there's no reason for him to ever feel pressure to write again.

The luster is gone, and outside of a major media adaption I don't see Rothfuss' talked about as a major author in coming years. He'll just be a basically 1 hit wonder with 1 great book who fizzled out and never made his mark.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A lot of authors like KJ Parker, Abercrombie and Sanderson basically write the same book over and over again I’ve found. They know how to tell a full story and they change some details but basically have the same themes they want to hit and reactions they want to get.

Rothfuss never even completed one full story so he can’t write it again in a different guise. That part of why I’d probably actually read another book he put out, just for the novelty of seeing if he can actually wrap up a plot. I have no idea what to expect from him because he’s given us so little, and books 1 and 2 are so radically uneven.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

pentyne posted:

The luster is gone, and outside of a major media adaption I don't see Rothfuss' talked about as a major author in coming years. He'll just be a basically 1 hit wonder with 1 great book who fizzled out and never made his mark.

And he couldn’t even get that done with the backing of critical and creative darling Lin Manuel Miranda on board. He’s a hack with no follow through.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

And he couldn’t even get that done with the backing of critical and creative darling Lin Manuel Miranda on board. He’s a hack with no follow through.

Word was from one goon that Rothfuss was super unprofessional in general for business meetings, and likely disrespected LMM at some point in the process.

Showtime passed in 2019, having planned a prequel TV series and full length movie adaptations of the books.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

From what I can tell, Rothfuss is a far better writer, and his one-finished novel is far more worth reading than Sanderon's entire cannon.

But yes, in terms of being a producer of mediocre fiction like a machine, Sanderson is up there with titans like Anthony.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

From what I can tell, Rothfuss is a far better writer

*former writer

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

pseudanonymous posted:

From what I can tell, Rothfuss is a far better writer, and his one-finished novel is far more worth reading than Sanderon's entire cannon.

But yes, in terms of being a producer of mediocre fiction like a machine, Sanderson is up there with titans like Anthony.

Yeah, Sanderson seems like a cool dude and I wish him success but his writing never clicked for me. If I had my choice of whom finished the WoT series, it would be Abercrombie > Rothfuss > GRRM > Sanderson.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 3, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Sorry, did we read the same book? The prose might be technically competent but is stuffed with excessive overly wordy trying to be poetic things(lol cut flower sound). As far as quality it's basically just fanfiction.

All the times he's delivering sick burns and pulling off impossible feats to woo women (including the one he almost screams at for being a whore and a decade later is nearly driven into a rage from hearing her mentioned) are pretty much entirely wish fulfillment trash.

Ffs one of the biggest things about the series was the idea it was all going to be an unreliable narrator to make up for how intensely cringy it is. Knowing what we do about rothfuss now it seems like it's all 100% earnest on his part too.

Oh almost forgot all his weird rape stuff in the video game writing hes done

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 3, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

It's not. Sanderson's mediocre, but Rothfuss is worse.

Also even though I'm totally unpublished, I've written more books in the past year and a half than Rothfuss has written in ten. You don't need to grind away for hours. Just... do it at all.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pentyne posted:

Joe Abercrombie was pretty prolific for a while but slowed down after 12 books in 15 years. He's not really running any more series at this point.

Most writers like Sanderson, N.K Jemesin, etc. write several hours a day because it's their job and how their keep their bills paid. Jemesin was working full time while releasing her first trilogy and up until she started a patreon because she didn't make enough money from writing to quit.

For all the complaints, Rothfuss is or was a millionaire from the books, was a burgeoning fantasy titan being compared to the past greats and feted by all sorts of media offers for adapting his series. He definitely had no pressing need or requirement to grind out 10k words a day to try and get through any creative block and instead turned his attention to his own personal desires, lots of writing for things like Rick and Morty and video games. He doesn't have to write at all. Add in his scam charity that he's basically got north of 6 figures coming in every year in a low cost of living area and there's no reason for him to ever feel pressure to write again.

Rothfuss doesn't have 1 great book worth of writing even if you were to distill everything he's written. NOTW had some interesting parts, mainly the "yeah this legend about me? Here's the reality of it and how the legend is just bullshit" which he completely threw out the window in WMF. Even the "dispel the legend" premise of NOTM doesn't save it from itself when stuff like Tarbean and pretty much all of the Harry Potter fanfic is loving atrocious as is the constant YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT POOR IS, said by the character Gary Stus his way through life.

He's an absolutely hack who got lucky that his garbage book managed to hit just right, similar to Twilight's success but without the intelligence to fully capitalize on it.

pseudanonymous posted:

Even if you think Sanderson's writing is average at best, the idea Rothfuss is a better writer is comical (and not just because it implies Rothfuss actually writes at this point). You're talking about the guy who literally cobbled unrelated short stories together to wedge into his already disjointed mess of a series.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, Sanderson seems like a cool dude and I wish him success but his writing never clicked for me. If I had my choice of whom finished the WoT series, it would be Abercrombie > Rothfuss > GRRM > Sanderson.

That's a bit surprising. I think Sanderson was generally the right choice to finish WoT. Robert Jordan used in-universe swear words, and sex was nearly always fade to black. And while there's some violence, it's always a bit understated. Sanderson was well suited to WoT. I really love a lot of Abercrombie's works, but his style is imho too different from Jordan's.

Also a bit lol at the mere concept of Rothfuss or GRRM finishing another author's series.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Having read a couple of Sanderson books and attempting to have read Name of the Wind, Rothfuss is objectively worse as far as I can tell.

Sanderson's biggest weakness, at least at the time that I read him, was structural. The introductions are pure action to get the stories going, the endings even more action to wrap things up and to show you how clever he is at resolving payoffs, but in between is a slog of absolutely nothing happening. I think he's even acknowledged this as a weakness of some of his books.

The prose itself is entirely functional, though I often found the dialog a bit to "Whedon-esque" with snappy comebacks all over the place (but they're wholesome which just adds to the cringe).

Rothfuss is trash through and through, from a complete lack of anything resembling structure to prose that can be best described as the artificial meat of metaphors.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

My perspective is that Rothfuss is talented but lazy. Sanderson has no talent whatsoever, but he's incredibly hard-working. In some universe where Rothfuss gets in a life-changing event and gets serious about writing, he could develop. Sanderson just shits out copy, part of why he's able to write so much is he doesn't spend any time thinking about what words to use, or how to structure sentences, or how to structure chapters, or anything.

I think Name of the Wind is worth reading, even if only in the sense of seeing how to avoid pitfalls; the story has potential, it can well be a story about someone who is basically a narcissist and lacking self-awareness who protests his legendariness by pointing out the true story is that much legendary. Obviously, that potential is definitely not realized in the second "book" and I doubt the 3rd will ever happen in any sense other than someone else writing it.

It's also possible that "a narcissist who is lacking self-awareness" is actually a wholly unintentional author-self insert which is sort of meta-ironic.

I've never read anything of Sandersons that I ever thought was worth reading, even if the basic idea was somewhat interesting it's a short story that was turned into a trilogy.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Rothfuss's problem is that even though he thinks very hard about every single word, every single thought he has is bad and wrong and he should stop having them.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
sanderson is basically a YA writer but for boys. he's got an incredible work ethic but his stories all feel like the same thing (which is part of why is work ethic is so good - writing is easy if you basically stick to a model.) but it's a recipe that people love. sanderson also appears like a nice, humble dude who understands how lucky he is. rothfuss seems like a prick.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Sanderson has a bunch of hosed up views from growing up Mormon. He's definitely a last horse across the finish line type if he gets there at all when it comes to morality.

The worst part is that you can see it in his writing. He's writes day one poo poo of learning how not to be lovely to minorities. It all rings of separate but equal grossness. It's like he's read about a trans person but has never actually met one.

gently caress, I can't stand his writing. It's like Goodkind without the Ann Rand.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I heard Sanderson's writing gets better with each book and is better about representation these days. I keep hearing good things about Mistborn but I've never read it. Only one of his I read was Warbreaker and it was alright. Takes too long to get going.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I heard Sanderson's writing gets better with each book and is better about representation these days. I keep hearing good things about Mistborn but I've never read it. Only one of his I read was Warbreaker and it was alright. Takes too long to get going.

Mistborn was a good series. I wouldn't say it was great but it gave me the expectation that Sanderson is a solid fantasy author who writes good unique stories with plot hooks he competently builds up over the course of the entire series. Nothing too exciting or thrilling but a good story to dig into and read to the conclusion. On that note I'm not gonna start reading Way of Kings until the series is finished, those 10 book doorstopper series are great for some but god drat do I not like reading unfinished book series (Locke Lamora get hosed unless you finish)

Now Paul Hoffman on the other hand, that's a weird dude. The Left Hand of God starts out with so much promise then literally hits points where you wonder if the same person is writing who wrote something different a few hundred pages back. iirc there's a big 'reveal' early in book 1 about some weird medical experiments and the world setting that then literally never comes up again.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 4, 2022

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If you want to read a cool book about narratives that may have truth to them but are likely exaggerated or made up entirely in the telling, about narcissism and lusting for women while thinking all women are whores and objects, and actually being called out on objectifying women and being a sexist poo poo, go check out "The Magus" by John Fowles. It's a heavy tome, so fantasy fans will feel right at home. There's also a lovely film adaptation starring Michael Cain. "The worst thing he ever filmed."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

If you want to read a cool book about narratives that may have truth to them but are likely exaggerated or made up entirely in the telling, about narcissism and lusting for women while thinking all women are whores and objects, and actually being called out on objectifying women and being a sexist poo poo, go check out "The Magus" by John Fowles. It's a heavy tome, so fantasy fans will feel right at home. There's also a lovely film adaptation starring Michael Cain. "The worst thing he ever filmed."

There was a list of great books that do what Rothfuss was trying to do, but better

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
Baudolino by Umberto Eco
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
The Egyptian by Mika Waltari
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Autobiography by Benvenuto Cellini

Gormenghast as a series also came up as a excellent example of a great fantasy trilogy.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

sanderson is basically a YA writer but for boys.

A huge factor in his success is that a lot of early work is very of-a-piece with the YA dystopia and fantasy media that was breaking out at the same time he was. For a lot of younger readers his work clicked (and still clicks) as a more "grown-up" version of the things they liked about The Hunger Games or Avatar: The Last Airbender.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

pentyne posted:

There was a list of great books that do what Rothfuss was trying to do, but better

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
Baudolino by Umberto Eco
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
The Egyptian by Mika Waltari
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Autobiography by Benvenuto Cellini

Gormenghast as a series also came up as a excellent example of a great fantasy trilogy.

I think it's come up in this thread before, but one of the problems with a guy like Rothfuss is that it doesn't seem like he reads. Oh, he's probably read Lord of the Rings and the major fantasy novels, he's probably read Dune or at least a synopsis of it, but they don't actually go beyond the fantasy and sci-fi genres and experience what literature can achieve when it isn't constrained to genre.

Gene Wolfe seems like he was phenomenally well-read and Tolkien obviously had to be, but Rothfuss? It's cargo-cult writing.