Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
And while we’re on the topic, Bluey’s parents need to knock it the gently caress off with going all in on how their kids want to play. gently caress you, I don’t want to play Mount Mum and Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

My kids always want to play the Bluey games where I carry them around. Backpackers is the worst when my 6 year old and twin 3 year olds are all scrambling to hang on to me. No I can't stand up while you're all holding on to me. Just once can we play blue mountain?

Alterian posted:

Xand_Man posted:

Just once I'd love do see Mom or Dad Tiger lose their poo poo

New thread title right here.

yes!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Our daughter likes playing octopus, which having a puppy who wants to get in on the action, makes it hard to make sure no one gets jumped on or ran over.

Daniel Tiger kills me, it is too saccharine for me but our daughter loves it. At least with Bluey they show their parents in mostly real situations, there is a newer one where Bandit is talking in the background about getting snipped. If you aren't paying attention you'd miss it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm a basic bitch and think bubble guppies is good. Also at the end of the little OUTSIDE jingle, when the big fish goes GUPPPIEEEES, makes me laugh every time.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Sure but plz change the typo or I'll go insane

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Our son (8) has been asking us questions about Ukraine and Russia and we've been answering to the best of our ability but oh my gosh I was not prepared for this part of parenting.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

sheri posted:

Our son (8) has been asking us questions about Ukraine and Russia and we've been answering to the best of our ability but oh my gosh I was not prepared for this part of parenting.

I haven't looked at it but this is in my wife's stack of therapy books for her patients.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
If #4 had it his way, it would be PAW Patrol on a never-ending loop. :shepicide:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The only Bad Dogs there are, selling out to the cops like that smh

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I never ever thought I would know the paw patrol theme song by heart, but my guy got a little fire truck for Christmas with a button that plays the song. And he loves mashing it.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

remigious posted:

I never ever thought I would know the paw patrol theme song by heart, but my guy got a little fire truck for Christmas with a button that plays the song. And he loves mashing it.

I know many kids' toy songs by heart. PAW Patrol is indirectly credited with naming my family's Rockband 2 band - we had a Pup Pad toy that spoke in English and French, and one of Marshall's clips sounded like "Je suis doofla doofla!" So our RB2 name is Douffla Douffla.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

sheri posted:

lol me trying to explain the holocaust to my 6yo. then they lose interest and go back to listing the characters from the five nights at freddy's franchise

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

My grandfather was a Holocaust survivor and we literally were given copies of Maus and Maus 2 as kids, although I think I was older than 6...maybe in second grade? It's rough and I didn't understand it really but I think it also got the point across a little bit.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Xand_Man posted:

Sure but plz change the typo or I'll go insane

Would you… lose your poo poo?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Dobbs_Head posted:

Would you… lose your poo poo?

No it'd just be a continual annoyance

People with kids with ADHD, what did you find most useful? He's 3 right now so too young to get a diagnosis but Dad and his 4 brothers have it and he's extremely... energetic... for his age.

Looking for book recs. mainly but I'd love any advice yall have.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Ok not a parent but is anyone else perpetually confused that Five Nights at Freddy's is apparently kid-safe? Because every time I read it I think of Freddy Krueger and get deeply concerned about what people are exposing their kids to.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

left_unattended posted:

Ok not a parent but is anyone else perpetually confused that Five Nights at Freddy's is apparently kid-safe? Because every time I read it I think of Freddy Krueger and get deeply concerned about what people are exposing their kids to.

lol "kid safe" is in the eye of the beholder. my kindergartner isn't phased by the graphic novels which portray people getting stuffed into animatronic suits and run through with dozens of metal rods. or nightmare hallucination monsters. my kid is just like "that one is called baby clown and it's in the fourth game i learned that from a youtube." they don't have nightmares or anything, it's just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: they're gonna watch hellraiser one day and yawn

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

left_unattended posted:

I don't let my kids play that one yet. My older one is 9 and he might be ready for that stuff soon. I develop and have worked on violent video games in the past and enjoy shows like Metalocalypse so I'm not squeamish about those things.

My 9 year old came home from school wanting to watch Squid Game because some kids at school got to watch it. Hell no.

They're also not allowed on youtube unsupervised. I've been on the internet way too long to know unfettered internet access to a young kid is a bad idea.

Xand_Man posted:

No it'd just be a continual annoyance

People with kids with ADHD, what did you find most useful? He's 3 right now so too young to get a diagnosis but Dad and his 4 brothers have it and he's extremely... energetic... for his age.

Looking for book recs. mainly but I'd love any advice yall have.

We used to take our oldest on a mile walk before taking him to daycare at that age to get the energy out of him. I know this isn't always possible for everyone. Don't feel bad about getting them into therapy as soon as they're old enough. Our kid's therapist is helping him with coping strategies for when his emotions get the better of him and ways to deal with impulse issues.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 1, 2022

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Alterian posted:

I don't let my kids play that one yet. My older one is 9 and he might be ready for that stuff soon. I develop and have worked on violent video games in the past and enjoy shows like Metalocalypse so I'm not squeamish about those things.

My 9 year old came home from school wanting to watch Squid Game because some kids at school got to watch it. Hell no.

They're also not allowed on youtube unsupervised. I've been on the internet way too long to know unfettered internet access to a young kid is a bad idea.

That reminds me that Elsagate adjacent poo poo hasn't disappeared from Youtube and is surprisingly difficult to suppress or even report once the algorithm locks onto you.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

a podcast for cats posted:

That reminds me that Elsagate adjacent poo poo hasn't disappeared from Youtube and is surprisingly difficult to suppress or even report once the algorithm locks onto you.

I can't recall how much of that was hysteria a la Momo and how much of it was depraved poo poo.

But yeah I too was broken by unfettered access to the early internet at a young age which has made me hypervigilant for my kids.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

citybeatnik posted:

I can't recall how much of that was hysteria a la Momo and how much of it was depraved poo poo.

This video (4 years old) has a pretty good take on the phenomenon without being needlessly alarm-raising.

https://youtu.be/LKp2gikIkD8

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I found Elsagate fascinating.

It wasn't depraved poo poo so much as it was the uncritically reflected subconscious of a small child. So shots, pregnancy and death pair got blended up with shapes, numbers and colors.

Kinda reminds me of improv exercises where you 'transcribe' the contents of an imaginary book. You get a similar sort of aphasic weirdness.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Today my 16 year old called me in a panic from his school's parking lot. He was parked in his car, and was having two crises at once. First, he was having a "big popped pimple emergency." Said he couldn't find any tissues in the car, so he used a Windex wipe on his face and it was really stinging and he didn't know what to do. Second, he forgot to fill up the gas tank and the car wouldn't start because it was on empty. I reminded him that a) we have a first aid kit in the car trunk and b) the nurses at the school health center would be very happy to help him out. We brought a can of gas to his school so he could get home. That was about 7 hours ago and I'm still laughing.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
A few months back I bought my daughter a pair of space themed booties, but I thought one of them was lost to the dryer gods on its very first wash. Well, it just turned up in a sleep sack that we don't use often. So I've got that going for me.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
My 2-year-old’s head smells funny. He’s been bathed and shampooed and there’s no fungus or dandruff/cradle cap that I can tell. It’s just… weirdly malodorous. Can’t really describe it and don’t really know that “weird smell” necessitates a doctor’s visit. I think it’s mainly in one spot, close to his ear. Could I be smelling another ear infection?

E: gently caress, I think it is his ear. But he doesn’t have pain or fever or discharge or any other symptoms

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 2, 2022

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
love those midnight “puked entire contents of stomach onto bed” drills.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
22 month old discovered his nipples.

Like, not in general. But very specifically he plays with them between his bedtime diaper change and pajamas.

He does this by grabbing hold and just pulling as far as they'll go... often both at the same time, and often just idly while just wandering around, so he's pulling on his nipples and walking around...

Not looking for advice it's just... very strange. And I don't know how he's not screaming in agony, because it looks painful. Not leaving any marks, just... why, dude?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Babies/toddlers grabbing hold of bits of their anatomy and yanking until you're sure they'll come off is a theme I think. The ogre toddler's previous habits during diaper changes would leave me wincing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

amethystbliss posted:

Today my 16 year old called me in a panic from his school's parking lot. He was parked in his car, and was having two crises at once.
Pack an empty jerry can in the trunk for next time?

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

DaveSauce posted:

22 month old discovered his nipples.

Like, not in general. But very specifically he plays with them between his bedtime diaper change and pajamas.

He does this by grabbing hold and just pulling as far as they'll go... often both at the same time, and often just idly while just wandering around, so he's pulling on his nipples and walking around...

Not looking for advice it's just... very strange. And I don't know how he's not screaming in agony, because it looks painful. Not leaving any marks, just... why, dude?

Oh, hi me from a year and a bit ago. If he's anything like my kid, he'll stop once he realizes he can do the same thing with his penis. Especially once potty trained with no diaper in the way. The phrase "please stop touching your penis" just rolls off my tongue now.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Lmao two weeks of daycare closure and all the kids in the room are sick again after a single day back.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
We only had to say it once, but my wife definitely said "Please don't chase the cat with your penis!"

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

Babies/toddlers grabbing hold of bits of their anatomy and yanking until you're sure they'll come off is a theme I think. The ogre toddler's previous habits during diaper changes would leave me wincing.

Funniest incident of that for us was when my son escaped from a diaper change and went running to my partner's mom. She thought she was about to get tackle hugged. Instead, part way there he basically went "Oh hey what's this?" and just went to town on himself.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yesterday afternoon, our daughter turned around put her butt on me and pretended to fart. I don't know where she learns such things. :lol:

My wife put her to bed last night and came into our bathroom to get ready for the night. While she was in there, I thought I heard our daughter's door open and shut, it was extremely quiet. I didn't hear any walking or anything so when my wife came out, I said check to see if her door is open. She was sitting right outside her door like a loving ghost and/or creepy demon. My wife about pooped her pants.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Stop putting your waffle on your penis.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Our daughter's done the "i'm going to stand next to the bed while you sleep staring until you wake up thing" and it's loving unnerving as hell.

And i think fart jokes are genetically hard-wired into us.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

Our daughter's done the "i'm going to stand next to the bed while you sleep staring until you wake up thing" and it's loving unnerving as hell.

My parents still give me crap for that, 30 years later. Fortunately my toddler is louder than a herd of elephants when he moves so I don’t have to worry about this.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Currently recovering from the little unicorn sticky note my daughter passed to my wife and me. Written completely unprompted, after a day full of fun and an evening with my folks over.

It says "i heyt my DAD". She said that she meant her *other* dad and not me.

Our soon to be ex therapist has already told us that she has fun over at horsehumper's house so she's clearly doing this for our benefit. Obviously. All just an act.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Baby just discovered today that I have chest hair. I'm not sure what's more painful, the far too strong to be a baby pulling or the billion tiny cuts from razor sharp baby nails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My 7 year old is a wonderful kid a lot of the time. Though as far as comedy and fart jokes she lets em rip, metaphorically and literally. Sometimes however, she goes hard rebel mode and hates any hits to her pride and gets stubborn about learning anything ("I already knew that"), especially things she doesn't already know. I'm trying to help her realize how to be more humble but feel like she's just a stubborn kid the same way I was. Anyone have book recommendations to help a stubborn kid, assuming that'd even what it is?

I'm glad she's strong willed but I don't want her to miss out on opportunities from it.