Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That was exactly the plan. In the early heresy books there's a bunch of references to the Ultra Marines studying a bunch of fields so that they'll be ready to transition to civilian life after the great crusade. There's various levels of this or ridicule of the idea from other legions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I feel like even if the Heresy hadn't have played out like it did, there would have been a second civil war when big E pulled another Thunder Warriors on the Legions. I don't think his plan was for humanity to be ruled by a caste of posthuman monsters.

Just one posthuman monster.

Not necessarily. That's one in-universe reason why he made them sterile, so they couldn't form a self-perpetuating caste.

Once the Astartes had served their purpose, he wouldn't need to purge them Thunder Warriors-style (which would have been tricky given that they were spread all over the galaxy and greatly outnumbered Custodes). He would only need to blow up the geneseed vaults, and get rid of the Primarchs so they couldn't create more. Then the Astartes would slowly go extinct over the centuries.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

NihilCredo posted:

He would only need to blow up the geneseed vaults, and get rid of the Primarchs so they couldn't create more.

I'm sure the Legions would have been completely fine with this course of action.

Demiurge4 posted:

That was exactly the plan. In the early heresy books there's a bunch of references to the Ultra Marines studying a bunch of fields so that they'll be ready to transition to civilian life after the great crusade. There's various levels of this or ridicule of the idea from other legions.

I think the Ultra Marines were mistaken about this tbh, but they were too useful for the Big E to come down on.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
There's certainly plenty of historical examples of warriors becoming administrators, like the Samurai. Competent legions like the Ultramarines would have been good at it, and even the broken ones probably would have largely been fine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kaal posted:

There's certainly plenty of historical examples of warriors becoming administrators, like the Samurai. Competent legions like the Ultramarines would have been good at it, and even the broken ones probably would have largely been fine.

Oh yeah, they definitely could do it but the Emperor also definitely did not intend for them to survive that long.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/02/ghazghkull-thraka-author-nate-crowley-picks-his-favourite-prophets-of-da-waaagh/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I was wondering, do you think if you had been reading the book, it would be a lot worse? I've found the BL readers that are used are so high quality, it's like what the Economist does....but about Space Wizards as opposed to Bond Yields.

The book isn't bad, the bits about the tyranids is pretty good for instance and there's cool bits here and there. It's just a bit on the blander side on the whole.
You could probably just gloss through some parts when reading it compared to listening to the audio version. Or at least just speed read your way through them.
I know I did that for chaos cultist sections for the Navigator books because they were utterly boring in comparison to the rest. That and the main bad guy was insufferable to read.

And apparently Hamilcar is getting an animated Hammer & Bolter short on WH+ going by my twitter feed. No clue when it's out but I doubt anytime soon.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Plus Robute had already built an empire of 500 worlds, created infrastructure, logistics, culture, etc before the Big E turned up. So when he was given the power of a legion (and possibly 2 others) he naturally thought bigger picture and planned for other uses for the hundreds of thousands of superhuman brains with unnaturally long lifespans conditioned for loyalty than "waffle stomping everything non-compliant in the galaxy".

Even Imperium Secondus was bigger picture thinking with himself in the background uncredited. Dude will never get to retire :(

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I just noticed one of the BL Celebration short stories that came out is a Huron Blackheart focused one by our favorite new author Mike Brooks. It's pretty good and it also features the Minotaurs! It reminded me that Brooks has a full length Blackheart novel coming out which I assume will also feature the Minotaurs and I am super pumped for it. We need more Red Corsair and Minotaur content IMO. I love love love that they are giving Brooks (and other new authors) the ability to explore all these parts of the lore that haven't gotten much, if any, love before. So far he has written a Navigator novel, an Ork POV novel, and the Alpharius novel. Not to mention a Red Gabbo novella!

In other news my Sigismund LE is getting here today and I am very excited. I'll report back to the thread on how it is in a few days.

Edit: Oh, and definitely pick up the Ghazghkull novel. It's very good!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Successors: A Space Marine Anthology

https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/bl-celebration-ne/the-successors-a-space-marine-anthology-ebook-eng-2022.html

Is this, as it appears at first glance, all new stuff. Or have they slipped in some older stories.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
gently caress yeah Angels Penitent

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Improbable Lobster posted:

gently caress yeah Angels Penitent

Seconded!

Is this the first time the Exorcists have appeared in fiction? They're one of my favourite chapters, and one Redditor who got to review the anthology says their story is quite good:

quote:

Exorcists: The Empty Place (Graham McNeill): 5/5

I'd never heard of the Exorcists, let alone knew about their wacky "possess-first, smite-later" ethos, but if you feel like you're missing the grimdark part of 40k these days, this little possession horror story delivers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/t4ki15/uncommon_ancestries_a_review_of_the_sucessors_a/

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/bl-celebration-ne/the-successors-a-space-marine-anthology-ebook-eng-2022.html

Is this, as it appears at first glance, all new stuff. Or have they slipped in some older stories.

Most of them this is the first time in print but some of them have been in other releases.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dog_Meat posted:

Plus Robute had already built an empire of 500 worlds, created infrastructure, logistics, culture, etc before the Big E turned up. So when he was given the power of a legion (and possibly 2 others) he naturally thought bigger picture and planned for other uses for the hundreds of thousands of superhuman brains with unnaturally long lifespans conditioned for loyalty than "waffle stomping everything non-compliant in the galaxy".

Even Imperium Secondus was bigger picture thinking with himself in the background uncredited. Dude will never get to retire :(

Did Guilliman build Ultramar to 500 worlds before being found?

I remember it being 13 planets, then expanding it to 500 under Big E's flag, but I could well be wrong.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Sephyr posted:

I remember it being 13 planets, then expanding it to 500 under Big E's flag, but I could well be wrong.

It's unclear to me how many planets were part of the original Ultramar, but after the Age of Strife they had been reduced to 13 specific ones. I could see these as being the core planets that were originally ruled by Guilliman. The 500 Worlds would have needed navigators and legionaries to be absorbed, I think, rather than the pre-contact forces.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Sephyr posted:

To be fair, that probably makes a lot more sense.

Still, he was ruling over an empire that spanned planets with solid infrastructure and logistics so would have been in the best position to absorb the insane resources of the Imperium and make the best possible use of them.

Unlike... you know... finding your demi-god super son is a brain damaged, abused insane wreck after a lifetime of brutal gladiatorial violence leading a blood-soaked rebellion and about to die on a hill hacking armies into kibble and thinking "hey, I should teleport him up to my ship, leave his few friends to die, hand him a legion capable of destroying solar systems and then gently caress off on my next adventure while he rages"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Emps should have met more of the primarchs like he did Ferrus Manus: by getting into a fistfight on a mountain

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I have a review of the two Twice Dead King books released so far.
The first, Twice Dead King: Ruin, benefits from an overall stronger character arc and more interesting plot. Necron vs Necron is more interesting, I feel, than Necron vs Humans. Ruin better captures the horror inherent to Necron existence than Reign.
That is not to say that Reign is bad! It's certainly a good followup, but I feel some of the character changes of the protagonist were not as strongly followed up on as they could have been. Also, the plot of Reign is basically 'And then it got worse' for 4/5ths of the book length without the overall situation substantially changing, which wasn't as gripping as Ruin where the driving force for the protagonist substantially changed over the course of the story. I didn't like that some interesting characters didn't make it out of Reign alive, but I suppose one of them has a drat good reason to be not as dead as initially thought.
The action is generally good in both stories without ever feeling repetative. The lore deep dives are also good. I think the more Necron mind metaphysics present, the more interesting it was to me as a reader.

I'm glad the (minor plot spoilers) monoliths eventually got summoned. I was going to be annoyed if they weren't.

Overall Ruin was a 5/5 book while Reign was a 4/5 book for me.

Safety Helmet
May 7, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

TrackOfWords posted:

Available in Black Library’s The Successors anthology, The Sins of My Brothers is the 11th short story in Peter Fehervari’s Dark Coil series, and serves as both a fascinating companion to his novel The Reverie and a revelatory extension of his short story The Crown of Thorns.

Very excited to see another story by Fehervari! I've enjoyed his portrayal of Space Marines in previous works. His Marines are superheros without the pretension. They rarely talk down to humans and are regularly fascinated by human art and culture. The Marine knows he is objectively superior but also recognizes what was lost in the transition.

He touches on SM and human relationships in The Reverie and I hope he expands further. I'm mostly just psyched to know he's still writing! I enjoy many BL authors, but none more than him.

Safety Helmet fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 3, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I enjoyed the subplot in The Reverie about the space marine captain and his muse. They're growing apart because the space marine doesn't really understand her emotions and keeps unintentionally blowing her off or insulting her.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dog_Meat posted:

To be fair, that probably makes a lot more sense.

Still, he was ruling over an empire that spanned planets with solid infrastructure and logistics so would have been in the best position to absorb the insane resources of the Imperium and make the best possible use of them.

Unlike... you know... finding your demi-god super son is a brain damaged, abused insane wreck after a lifetime of brutal gladiatorial violence leading a blood-soaked rebellion and about to die on a hill hacking armies into kibble and thinking "hey, I should teleport him up to my ship, leave his few friends to die, hand him a legion capable of destroying solar systems and then gently caress off on my next adventure while he rages"

Agreed. Guilliman lucked out big on his landing site, but he did do a lot with what he was given.

Are there any books or materials about him adjusting to the 42nd millenium? I remember reading a quote that was basically him going "This is what our Imperium degenerated into? We should have let horus burn it!" early into the fall of Cadia storyline, but nothing since.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Improbable Lobster posted:

I enjoyed the subplot in The Reverie about the space marine captain and his muse. They're growing apart because the space marine doesn't really understand her emotions and keeps unintentionally blowing her off or insulting her.

I started The Reverie a while back but it was so different from the Black Library stuff I was used to that it through me off, but I need to give it another go. I love the idea of Warhammer horror with a fresh take on SM.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sephyr posted:

Agreed. Guilliman lucked out big on his landing site, but he did do a lot with what he was given.

Are there any books or materials about him adjusting to the 42nd millenium? I remember reading a quote that was basically him going "This is what our Imperium degenerated into? We should have let horus burn it!" early into the fall of Cadia storyline, but nothing since.

The Dark Imperium trilogy has a decent amount of Guilliman coming to terms with what the Imperium has become.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Woof, just got a couple of books from GW directly and they are both banged up. Xenos isn't too bad with blunted corners but my Night Lords Omni looks messed up.

Are GW good about replacing these?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Welp, I finished as much as I'm going to read of the Horus Heresy. Overall it was a great experience. Here are my thoughts.

1. Hours Rising
2. False Gods
3. Galaxy in Flames --- the opening trilogy is an easy 5/5. One of the best science fiction experiences I've ever had.
4. Flight of the Eisenstein --- 4/5. It's tough to play followup to the first three, but it's an interesting look at some of the other legions
5. Fulgrim --- 5/5. I don't remember why I ranked this so high after I read it, since I don't remember much about it other than Fulgrim and Ferris Manus. Apparently I loved it at the time?
6. Descent of Angels --- 5/5. This will vary depending on your feelings toward the Dark Angels. It's a VAST departure from the feel of the first five books, but I loved it.
7. Legion --- 4/5. It's Abnett, it's really good but it ends abruptly. Like I said, it's Abnett.
8. Battle for the Abyss --- DNF. I started this and it was god awfully boring so I stopped.
9. Mechanicum --- 3/5. I've never been super huge on the Mars side of things, so this was just average to me.
10. Tales of Heresy --- 3/5. Very very uneven. Some of it is great and some of it is garbage. One of the better anthologies though.
11. Fallen Angels --- 4/5. Less good than the first DA book, but I still loved it.
12. A Thousand Sons --- 5/5. Absolutely fantastic, one of the standouts of the series.
13. Nemesis --- skipped. Not on my list to return.
14. The First Heretic --- 4/5. ADB telling the fall of the Word Bearers is really good.
15. Prospero Burns --- 3/5. I ranked this higher after I read it, but thinking back it was kind of a dud for me. The whole first chunk of it just did not grab me.
16. Age of Darkness --- 3/5. Apparently I read this? I don't remember it.
17. The Outcast Dead --- skipped. Not on my list to return.
18. Deliverance Lost --- skipped. Might revisit.
19. Know No Fear --- 5/5. Super super good. Made me actually like the Ultramarines, which is a feat.
20. The Primarchs --- skipped most of the anthologies, this included.
21. Fear to Tread --- 4/5. Spun its wheels a bit, but overall I loved it. I might be biased.
22. Shadows of Treachery --- 3/5. Again, apparently I read this? Shrug.
23. Angel Exterminatus --- skipped. Might revisit.
24. Tallarn --- skipped. Probably won't read.
25. Betrayer --- 4/5. ADB writing World Eaters, made me love Angron, which is a feat!
26. Mark of Calth --- more Ultramarines, skipped. Wasn't too interested
27. Vulkan Lives --- Salamanders, skipped. Not my thing.
28. The Unremembered Empire --- 5/5. So so good. One of the best

And then I skipped the next bunch of books because they're either anthologies or just books I wasn't too interested in and didn't seem like they were integral to the overarching story. Might revisit Scars, Pharos, and Path of Heaven.

38. Angels of Caliban --- 3/5. I wanted to finish up the DA trilogy but it was kind of meh.
39. Praetorian of Dorn --- 4/5. Imperial Fists are kind of one dimensional but the story was really fun.
40. Corax --- skipped. Probably won't revisit
41. Master of Mankind --- 5/5. drat this was good. All sorts of insight and flashbacks on the Emperor and Custodes, and some really cool Titan fights.

Then again I skipped a bunch for the same reasons as before.

51. Slaves to Darkness --- 5/5. It definitely feels like a roller coaster that stops when you get to the top of the hill, but I still loved it. I think it's a great place to stop and move on to the Siege of Terra

And I skipped the last couple, though I may revisit The Buried Dagger because I like DG.

Next is to tackle the Siege of Terra!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is Tallarn considered bad? I recall listening to the audio and remember being it being fairly entertaining but it was a while ago.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Count Thrashula posted:

I started The Reverie a while back but it was so different from the Black Library stuff I was used to that it through me off, but I need to give it another go. I love the idea of Warhammer horror with a fresh take on SM.

Did you read any other Fehervari books first? The Reverie is the earliest full novel in the timeline but I can imagine it being a strange starting spot since it's the most recently published one, like a prequel. I'd recommend starting with Fire Caste or reading a few of his short stories if you have access.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 5, 2022

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

Is Tallarn considered bad? I recall listening to the audio and remember being it being fairly entertaining but it was a while ago.

I don't think it's considered bad at all, I just didn't feel like taking a side trip to see how the Guard on Tallarn were doing in the middle of an already too long series about space Marines.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Did you read any other Fehervari books first? The Reverie is the earliest full novel in the timeline but I can imagine it being a strange starting spot since it's the most recently published one, like a prequel. I'd recommend starting with Fire Caste or reading a few of his short stories if you have access.

That's good info, thanks!

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Count Thrashula posted:

Welp, I finished as much as I'm going to read of the Horus Heresy. Overall it was a great experience. Here are my thoughts.

I would recommend returning to Scars and Path of Heaven, both of which are fantastic.

Buried Dagger is weird because half of it is focused on a completely different book. The Mortarion narrative is great! But as it is the Garro story ends up taking a lot of the page time where they could have made Mortarion less of an idiot or given any of the various background Death Guard characters story arcs and I really didn't care about it and it kept interrupting the actually interesting story.

I really loved Angel Exterminatus but that's definitely out of personal bias.

Also, I would recommend the Primarchs series-well, most of it, there's some really crappy ones. But I enjoyed it much more than I did the Siege, and IMO Lorgar, Alpharius, and Perturabo's books are must-reads if you're into the characters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NihilCredo posted:

Not necessarily. That's one in-universe reason why he made them sterile, so they couldn't form a self-perpetuating caste.

Once the Astartes had served their purpose, he wouldn't need to purge them Thunder Warriors-style (which would have been tricky given that they were spread all over the galaxy and greatly outnumbered Custodes). He would only need to blow up the geneseed vaults, and get rid of the Primarchs so they couldn't create more. Then the Astartes would slowly go extinct over the centuries.

I recall a short story that had Malacador explaining that the Legions turning on each other to wipe each other out was part of the plan. The issue is that they had turned on each other earlier then they were supposed to. Magnus being the exception he was going to be the battery for the throne.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Are there any good iron hands books? heresy or 40k?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

gently caress this pre-order bullshit

Just gimme my story about my giant, green boi

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

MonsterEnvy posted:

I recall a short story that had Malacador explaining that the Legions turning on each other to wipe each other out was part of the plan. The issue is that they had turned on each other earlier then they were supposed to. Magnus being the exception he was going to be the battery for the throne.

It's an audiodrama, where Malcador tries to comfort a dying friend by explaining his origins and claiming that yes, they do have a plan, but things went just a bit awry, and afterwards, once the friend has passed away, admits he was lying about some things, but does not specify which parts.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Warden posted:

It's an audiodrama, where Malcador tries to comfort a dying friend by explaining his origins and claiming that yes, they do have a plan, but things went just a bit awry, and afterwards, once the friend has passed away, admits he was lying about some things, but does not specify which parts.

It's the one where someone says that the Emprah was actually a Dark Age of Technology bio-weapon gone bad,? There was a lot of dubious statements on that one iirc

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nuclear War posted:

Wrath of Iron, by Chris Wraight. It’s 40k.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Nuclear War posted:

Chris Wraight's aforementioned Wrath of Iron. He also wrote a tie-in/sequel short story called Flesh. David Guymer is 2 books into a trilogy starring chapter master Kardan Stronos, before he mastered the chapter. They're The Eye of Medusa and The Voice of Mars. I think they're great and I'm eagerly awaiting the third book.

Jonathan Green's Iron Hands is one of the older BL novels. It's not bad but it definitely shows its age. The paired short stories Blessing of Iron and The Memory of Flesh by Anthony Reynolds and Matthew Farrer are both easy recommends. Memory is a sequel to Blessing, they're short stories following an IH sergeant. I also enjoyed Matt Westbrook's Medusan Wing, which is about planes and dogfighting. Not at the level of, say, Double Eagle, but it's competent and has some interesting lore tie-ins. Faith in Iron by Cameron Johnston is another competent short story, this one about an Iron Father rescuing a tech-priest magos.

I'm slowly working my way back into the Heresy but I'm not far enough in to recommend much of that. Fulgrim is okay, I guess, and I liked the Ferrus Manus Primarch book more than most.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 6, 2022

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Next SoT novel is being released September 13, according to Amazon.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Kaal posted:

Now I'm picturing a World Eater working at the DMV.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Finished Brutal Kunnin by Mike Brooks and enjoyed it. There's a part where this big battle is going on with the Mechanicus and some infighting between ork clans. The main ork in the story, Ufthak, grabs a nearby grot named Mogrot and explains that he has a plan. The two of them steal another ork's Dragster and start tearing rear end across the battlefield.

quote:

'Dis woz a great plan!' Mogrot yelled over the rushing wind, and Ufthak sighed.

'Dere's more to da plan dan dis!' he bellowed back. Mogrot looked around at him, his disbelieving eyes watering from the speed they were already going at.

'Dere's more?!'

I just love that Mogrot thinks that the whole plan is just to steal a dragster and drive really fast. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
That would be a pretty good plan tbf