Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Grey Fox posted:

politicians have figured out that they can say whatever sounds good to a particular audience at any given time because nobody actually cares about flip flopping anymore

all that matters is that there are soundbites floating around out there that someone, somewhere can agree with

I actually kinda disagree with that. They used to be able to do that when it wasn't easy to record everything and put it online. Now they can't do that as much anymore because it's easy for people to bring up their statements made to other audiences. Somebody like Trump just powers through that and ignores it but most people aren't able to do that because they have at least some tiny level of self awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

do Republican governors try this hard to serve their masters?

Hochul specifically is doing anything she can to avoid having the right wing news machine label her the next crazy liberal governor since she wasn't elected and wants to cruise into re-election this year without opening any room for someone to run to her right

which is funny because all she has to do is say "I legalized weed in NY" once a day for the next 8 months and she'll win re-election, even if it's not technically true or whatever

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Loucks posted:

letting people do what they want makes commercial real estate investors sad

I couldn’t care less, eventually something will fill the void but let people work at home if they want to and enjoy their families and less commute time.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

not_superiority posted:

yes

either weed or long covid destroyed my short term memory

covid is over, u have long weed

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

I actually kinda disagree with that. They used to be able to do that when it wasn't easy to record everything and put it online. Now they can't do that as much anymore because it's easy for people to bring up their statements made to other audiences. Somebody like Trump just powers through that and ignores it but most people aren't able to do that because they have at least some tiny level of self awareness.

I listened to the full impeachment proceedings the first time around and Gym Jordan sounded like a total loving idiot, completely unhinged.

Every single Republican I heard from thought he was a turbo mic-dropping genius because Fox News cut what he said up into flattering four second sound bites and their target audience doesn't listen to or watch anything else.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

blatman posted:

covid is over, u have long weed

what, like thai stick? i don't think they make those anymore

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

what, like thai stick? i don't think they make those anymore

no one of these

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Somebody like Trump just powers through that and ignores it but most people aren't able to do that because they have at least some tiny level of self awareness.

I think this was a bigger deal than you’re giving it credit for. Lots of other politicians and public figures realized how hard it is to be painted into a corner when you’re willing to just walk through paint.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 360 days!
Midterms are going to be lit, theres no safety measures anymore so variants, infectivity, lethality, injury, etc. are going to ramp up considerably

so many more people dying or getting permanently afflicted, all for democrats to poo poo down their legs and get smoked in elections

Like what the hell is November 2022 going to look like after months of zero covid controls

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
whatever happened to that ultravax that Walter Reed was hyping? Did anything come of that? (lmao)

Apr 7, 2003

tenderjerk posted:

Midterms are going to be lit, theres no safety measures anymore so variants, infectivity, lethality, injury, etc. are going to ramp up considerably

so many more people dying or getting permanently afflicted, all for democrats to poo poo down their legs and get smoked in elections

Like what the hell is November 2022 going to look like after months of zero covid controls

The south is gonna get fuckin rolled as soon as the air conditioning gets turned on

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The south is gonna get fuckin rolled as soon as the air conditioning gets turned on

bullshit, covid is over.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

The Oldest Man posted:

It's worse than that because you straight up cannot reach 'high' on the new metric unless hospital admissions are also high

Also if your county doesn't have a hospital you will never reach high even if everyone in your county fills up the hospitals in nearby counties. It owns

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pillowpants posted:

Goons,

I am ready to declare that a new wave is upon us.

The overall bed usage average has now increased for 9 days in a row from 579 to 585k.
The overall ICU bed usage average has been stagnant for a week.
COVID ADmissions stopped decreasing last week - slight decrease among adults and slight increase among kids.
COVID Hospitalizations totals appear to be leveling out - no longer having 3-4k drops per day, more like 1k-1500.
COVID ICU totals also have stopped dropping ~400 a day to about ~200 a day.

Also

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1499387442431881221?s=20&t=-A-cZpa37a6JhQzOfabZ2w
lmao

insert overlapping_waves.png

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hahaha

Apr 7, 2003

(again, because they got loving rolled last AC season and no one learned anything)

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/ThosChamberlain/status/1499362550047289350

Only registered members can see post attachments!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:iiam:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

chalk up yourself an outline if you say that to someone NOT online fucker

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

McCracAttack posted:

In this situation just say “Uh-huh” and move on. We’re beyond trying to make other people understand anything.

Don't really want to do that though when talking about necessary NPIs around your home and workplace though.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

(again, because they got loving rolled last AC season and no one learned anything)
Evidently covid causes memory loss

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

My extra vulnerable mom is back to eating at restaurants(safely!), my partner went to dinner with friends in their stuffy apartment last night(mildly!), my extremely vulnerable nephew with every comorbidity under the sun has come down with a high fever for the third time in as many months, soon to be followed by his baby sister

hahaha

OVER!

:unsmigghh:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

now that this is over I have to say the worst part was the CDC’s refusal to use a definite article when it referred to itself

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Had enough? Vote Democratic.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mawarannahr posted:

do Republican governors and mayors try this hard to serve their masters?

it's really funny how we can see right before our eyes a conflict between aristocrats and bourgeois being battled purely through the words of one woman

Ebola Roulette posted:

Also if your county doesn't have a hospital you will never reach high even if everyone in your county fills up the hospitals in nearby counties. It owns

wonder if this is going to create a perverse incentive to close hospitals so that you become immune to covid

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
HHS Data POST 3/3/22 (and BNO): 2Omicron2Furious

Yesterday - I posted BA2 Prevalence

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1499036171908747265?s=20&t=-A-cZpa37a6JhQzOfabZ2w

Here are admissions trends for the past 3 days - I did 3 instead of 5 because of bad weekend reporting, but even then the 5 day trends still show 16 states with 10%+ increases.

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1499387442431881221?s=20&t=-A-cZpa37a6JhQzOfabZ2w

Hospitalization Trends over 3 days. Same Caveat about bad weekend reporting, but also the 5 day still has 31 states with increases.

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1499404844729126916?s=20&t=-A-cZpa37a6JhQzOfabZ2w

ICU 3 day trends; Same Caveat about bad weekend reporting, but also the 5 day still has 33 states with increases.

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1499404900723150856?s=20&t=-A-cZpa37a6JhQzOfabZ2w

Now that I've posted these - I said earlier I think this a new wave.
1.The first indication is BA2 on the rise
2. Second indication is that numbers are shooting up for the first time - even with shoddy weekend reporting
3. Third is that the 7 day Bed Usage, ICU bed usage, Admissions averages are up
4. Bed Utilization is up to 77%, after hitting 73% a few days ago. ICU Utilization is up to 75% after hitting 72% a few days ago.
5. Critical Staffing Shortage + 7 HHS field is back up to 1100 after being around 950 for the past week.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
went out for supplies today and I was pleasantly surprised to see more masks than usual, despite covid being over. the cute girl at the weed store (litteraly the only physical person I interact with on a regular basis, no self checkout at the weed store) upgraded from a cloth mask to a 3M aura :)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

Don't really want to do that though when talking about necessary NPIs around your home and workplace though.

lol good luck with that.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

one of my previously full WFH friends keeps complaining in the group chat about how he doesn’t want to get covid now that he’s required to go into the office once a week, but he’s also sending pictures to the group chat of himself drinking at bars. mixed feelings on that one.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

what even does this mean, how the hell do you just vote center of left, is there like a sliding red/blue scale where you drag the cursor so it's barely to the left of the center or something

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Louisgod posted:

what even does this mean, how the hell do you just vote center of left, is there like a sliding red/blue scale where you drag the cursor so it's barely to the left of the center or something

It doesn't MEAN anything, that's the beauty of it

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
We are so totally and completely hosed.

https://twitter.com/evandonovan/status/1499086276519239680?s=21

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

kreeningsons posted:

one of my previously full WFH friends keeps complaining in the group chat about how he doesn’t want to get covid now that he’s required to go into the office once a week, but he’s also sending pictures to the group chat of himself drinking at bars. mixed feelings on that one.

to the best of my knowledge being in the office is substantially higher risk on a basic level (air is stagnantly recirculated, large population in the same air circulation) and i doubt he's spending ~40 hours a week in bars, so it is an increase in risk for him, even if his baseline feels outrageously high to me

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kreeningsons posted:

It's because the cease fire with COVID concerning eating and drinking isn't in effect at work.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Thoguh posted:

It's because the cease fire with COVID concerning eating and drinking isn't in effect at work.

as long as you're sitting at your desk which has been reinforced with plexiglass barriers, COVID will respect your right to eat and drink at work. otherwise, all bets are off

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I had one person at work I thought might be on the same page last week, but he's not even wearing a mask in the halls anymore.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

kreeningsons posted:

your friend is dumb as hell, OP

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Zugzwang posted:

I’m glad that in the middle of a pandemic, the CDC is actively trying to make sure everyone gets infected. Bold strategy, Cotton, let’s see if it pays off for ‘em

CDC members with ties and connections to the for-profit healthcare industry will definitely be getting paid off. Elevated persistent disease in the population with all pandemic benefits rescinded? They're probably as happy as pigs in poo poo.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Lost Time posted:

CDC members with ties and connections to the for-profit healthcare industry will definitely be getting paid off. Elevated persistent disease in the population with all pandemic benefits rescinded? They're probably as happy as pigs in poo poo.

As long as they never have to forgo more profitable elective procedures they'll love it. And they'll never be expected to if the CDC isn't even asking people to wear a mask. Why not stop by and enjoy our gift shop while you wait for a bed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

kreeningsons posted:

He's just saying he doesn't want to go to the office and COVID is a good excuse. I mean, respect, honestly. I don't want to go back either, COVID or no COVID. (But definitely COVID.)