Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Lol Rachel Blevins helping death and destruction waaaaaahhhh what are you doing pointing this out Twitter!

I sense a flight to Russia to continue her terrible career is pending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Ikasuhito posted:

Lets not get into this again.

Seems to be the most relevant avenue of discussion in the English speaking world at the moment, why not?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Wheat futures. Additionally, in the aftermath of various sinkings, including a Lithuanian vessal, insurers will refuse to cover anything operating in the Russian zones. Regardless of sanctions, Russia will not be able to load oil onto their vessels unless they own those ships.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mlmp08 posted:

the DOD brief just dropped and here is how they (don't) characterize it

Here’s the source for what you posted

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/2954139/senior-defense-official-holds-a-background-briefing/

I’m begging anyone who posts news to include a link

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Putin doesn't want any direct neighbors in NATO, right? But if they take over Ukraine, then they will....

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

TulliusCicero posted:

Dude's an actor and comedian: he's got natural instincts for reading an audience and giving them a charismatic performance

The contrast to the sheltered neurotic cold "Manly" dude in his bunker isolated from people is striking

Yeah if nothing else, this whole conflict is showing that sometimes it's actually good to have a former TV personality leading your country.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

Putin doesn't want any direct neighbors in NATO, right? But if they take over Ukraine, then they will....

Because the actual primary reason, cheaper liquefied natural gas exports, would garner a harsher international response. Though as we all see, doesn't seem to be relevant anymore.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah if nothing else, this whole conflict is showing that sometimes it's actually good to have a former TV personality leading your country.
US hasn't had good luck with that yet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crows Turn Off posted:

He's had NATO neighbors for years. There's never been any direct threat from NATO, as NATO is more of a defensive standards organization than an actual military.

So yeah, he'd just have more NATO neighbors. Which is why part of his demands were "NATO Must go no further than West of Poland's Western border with Germany"

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Crows Turn Off posted:

They won't absorb Ukraine, they'll make it a client state. That's the point, to use neighboring nations as human shields in the case of counter-attack. That way the field of battle rolls over lives that Putin sees as expendable.

Somehow this goal is seen as perfectly justifiable by people defending Russia.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Crows Turn Off posted:

They already do thanks to Baltic States + Norway and technically Kaliningrad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Kazakhstan isn't a satellite state like Belarus. They don't have Putin's left nut in their mouth like Lukashenko does. They aren't really comparable.

While that's true, the Kazakh government requested Russian military assistance in country in January to help "restore order." They are very dependent on Russia generally, and are particularly dependent on Russia right now.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

He's had NATO neighbors for years. There's never been any direct threat from NATO, as NATO is more of a defensive standards organization than an actual military.

What do you mean by this? It’s just calibers and threadings?

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

the popes toes posted:

Sharing real time status can mean many things. Is this "directly linked" confirmed? How was it worded?

I would suppose Ukraine doesn't have the institutional knowledge or experience to properly capitalize on a direct feed of raw data. Best setup would probably be a couple of office towers of analysts in the US and elsewhere parsing the reams of data coming in and then presenting the results to the Ukrainian government with recommendations from military strategists.

But obviously I don't know. Maybe they are just feeding satelite imagery directly to Zelensky.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Cimber posted:

FYI, Murdoch is an american citizen, naturalized in 1985.

Things you learn. I stand corrected.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Any reputable sources on that Russian general being killed?

Gimme your best

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

And a defensive treaty and joint exercises and communications drills and a whole lot more.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mawarannahr posted:

And shared Intel, exercises, etc. For the most part NATO is about ensuring cooperation and cross compatibility for common defense. That includes NATO calibers, comms systems, etc. Sometimes there's weapons sales and caching, but it was never an offensive org in the way Russia portrays it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CommieGIR posted:

The containers are stainless steel, those are NRC approved storage methods which are required to be for long term (100+) years, as well as stored within a concrete cask.

So yes, they are stored in concrete.

They are not following the spec on the stainless. 0.75” wall …. But this should be in a different discussion,.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

Gimme your best

I posted these two sources as the most reputable ones I can find. Nobody confirms it right now AFAICT.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-russia-kill-andrei-sukhovetsky-b2027858.html

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/2954139/senior-defense-official-holds-a-background-briefing/

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

DOOMocrat posted:

Seems to be the most relevant avenue of discussion in the English speaking world at the moment, why not?

I may or may not have misunderstood you, so nvm.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

While that's true, the Kazakh government requested Russian military assistance in country in January to help "restore order." They are very dependent on Russia generally, and are particularly dependent on Russia right now.

They may be suddenly finding that being a Chinese client is preferable.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They are not dependant on Russia ANYMORE and if anything goes wrong can ask for China's wing which seems way more preferable ATM

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

And shared Intel, exercises, etc. For the most part NATO is about ensuring cooperation and cross compatibility for common defense. That includes NATO calibers, comms systems, etc. Sometimes there's weapons sales and caching, but it was never an offensive org in the way Russia portrays it.

That was leaving out a lot, otherwise I was going to say the 721 killed in action, 2,111 wounded and 168 missing Turkish troops in the Korean War was too high a price to pay for NATO membership.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

(Not real, but funny.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

Hopefully Dept. Agriculture will reduce subsidies and get US Farmers to plant more to make up some of the difference and help produce relief food for Ukraine/Refugees

There's going to be a fuckload of displaced people who need food and we absolutely have the capacity to produce it, time for us to buck the gently caress up.

Lol okay, I'm gonna explain this for people who don't know farming.

Let me tell you right now there's no "telling US Farmers to plant more". I'm from a farming family - every farmer plants exactly as much as they are able to handle because farmers love making money. There are plenty of advancements in farm tech that have helped yield keep going up - precision planting/fertilizer/better pesticides/irrigation - but as the old chesnut goes they ain't making more land. There's a reason corn and wheat are called cash crops.

Theoretically some land that's being used for other things could be converted to cash crop, but it's almost certainly being used for other things because cash crops don't grow well there . Even if they did plant food crops on that land the yield wouldn't be nearly high enough to make up even a fraction of what's going to be lost. Also all the seeds for this planting season have been ordered, paid for, and in some cases are going into the ground right now. Where are they supposed to get more?

Farming is hard work, a blend of art and science, and involves it's own delicately balanced economy. There's no easy fix for this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sekenr posted:

They are not dependant on Russia ANYMORE

based on?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

Lol okay, I'm gonna explain this for people who don't know farming.

Let me tell you right now there's no "telling US Farmers to plant more". I'm from a farming family - every farmer plants exactly as much as they are able to handle because farmers love making money. There are plenty of advancements in farm tech that have helped yield keep going up - precision planting/fertilizer/better pesticides/irrigation - but as the old chesnut goes they ain't making more land. There's a reason corn and wheat are called cash crops.

Theoretically some land that's being used for other things could be converted to cash crop, but it's almost certainly being used for other things because cash crops don't grow well there . Also all the seeds for this planting season have been ordered, paid for, and in some cases are going into the ground right now. Where are they supposed to get more?

Farming is hard work, a blend of art and science, and involves it's own delicately balanced economy. There's no easy fix for this.

Presurvey already indicated more wheat planting by about two million more acres but that's about all anyone is going to get. Yield is the more important variable, as always.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

Gimme your best

Local sources on Russian deaths (like in this case, a veteran union that is not interested in sowing panic on behalf of Ukraine psyops or whatever) should be considered reliable

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Small White Dragon posted:

(Not real, but funny.)

Is Putin gay? He was married to a woman once.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Small White Dragon posted:

(Not real, but funny.)

-1 Likes. (putin0nther1tz)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Eric Cantonese posted:

I hope that works out. I've been wondering how the naval aspect of this war will unfold.

Scuttled means self-destroyed (eg so it doesn’t fall into enemy hands) so it doesn’t seem like it’s working out for that particular crew at least.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russian language narration for this suggests that those are suspected bandits or infiltrators. In general, POWs is one topic I forgot to mention in the guidelines, so you've tagged it correctly in either case.

Thanks for the translation! I was highly suspect of the ethnic conflict narrative, but I wasn't aware of the mentioned images from a few days back.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anubis posted:

Roughly 50% of Moldova's country wants unification in polls last year, and that was before they were being more directly threatened. I don't believe Russia has any interest in the northern territories and are just saber rattling there but I could honestly see them trying to take all or a big piece of Moldova, if and when the southern campaign turns their way, since it's basically free real estate. This is long standing issues that both countries, outside of the break away regions, have wanted dealt with for some time. And adding NATO troops would further surround Ukraine, giving further security and support.

Add this on to the fact that Moldova has already taken in 100,000 refugees and gee wiz, it might be good to get that area a bit more EU support.

Joining the EU is a different matter from reunifying because Romania is a NATO member and having Russian troops stationed on NATO territory is a great way to start another, bigger war.

There's no evidence that Russia wants to annex Moldova. If they did, they would have done it prior to Romania joining NATO. Their continued presence in Transnistria (which is the eastern part, not northern) is similar to their support of other breakaway regions with Russian-aligned/speaking pluralities, none of which have led to annexation of the countries they belong to, and appear meant to destabilize them more than anything else. Notably, Transnistria is not even recognized by Russia, whereas Abkhazia and South Ossetia are.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Airline software giant ends distribution service with Russia's Aeroflot, crippling carrier's ability to sell seats

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/03/air...sell-seats.html

I wonder if Aeroflot uses Sabre domestically? Tits up before but now, worse. On that front, I'm curious how western cloud providers might be evaluating their options. I'm very sure they don't want to get involved. Would not want to be doing IT stuff in Russia at the moment. "Yes, yes, I know comrade, I keep telling you, open up a ticket!"

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Presurvey already indicated more wheat planting by about two million more acres but that's about all anyone is going to get. Yield is the more important variable, as always.

For reference there's about 250 million available acres of cropland. Note I said cropland - total agricultural acres is a whole different number that includes a lot more things.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

More that NATO has no reason to go on the offensive against Russia under normal circumstances. If a NATO country wants to invade Russia and Russia didn't attack first, they're either sitting down or going it alone.

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty much the only time NATO is a threat is if you want to invade one of its member states. The Cold War was a bit different with everyone constantly paranoid that the other person was going to see them poo poo in the woods and mistake that for preparation for a first strike. The mathematics of MAD are deceptively complex, what with needing to strike a balance point between the other guy believing you're willing to use your weapons vs. about to use your weapons.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

To be honest he is not looking like a guy interested in having sex at all, and has never been
Now, watching...
:nsallears::smugdon:

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

the popes toes posted:

Airline software giant ends distribution service with Russia's Aeroflot, crippling carrier's ability to sell seats

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/03/air...sell-seats.html

I wonder if Aeroflot uses Sabre domestically? Tits up before but now, worse. On that front, I'm curious how western cloud providers might be evaluating their options. I'm very sure they don't want to get involved. Would not want to be doing IT stuff in Russia at the moment. "Yes, yes, I know comrade, I keep telling you, open up a ticket!"

As soon as the EU, Canada and the US closed their airspace it was over for Russia's airlines. I don't see any way for them to survive, if this continues they will all fold and Russia will have to rebuild them from scratch whenever the world opens back up to them. Which could be in decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Probably not - he's been in a long-term, well-publicized affair with an Olympic medaling gymnast, that began when he was still married to Lyudmila.