Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/horizoneMatt/status/1498825477305159682?t=D-gPU-vE7cE5kF16sune5A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Good, good, things are going well.

Just need:

1. Tech to not lose again this season
2. Every team ranked ahead of Tech except Gonzaga and Arizona to lose at least once more in the regular season
3. Purdue to be embarrassed at home to Indiana, and then again embarrassed in the first game of the Big Ten tournament.
4. Providence to win the remainder of their conference schedule and tournament

That's my master plan for how we get TTU as the Big XII champs, sent to FW and San Antonio, and set up for a 2 v 3 rematch against Providence. Thank you for coming to my thesis presentation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If we can't beat Indiana tonight we don't deserve to get in.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
This is rad as gently caress

https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1499137481081602078?s=20&t=m0tHYv6FO2ZyK72pI37vqg

It’s currently at $262,000 Vols fans are awesome

e: Zakai has said that anything above their base expenses they won’t keep and will donate to charity

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 3, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I love Ron Harper like I love family members.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Joey Freshwater posted:

This is rad as gently caress

https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1499137481081602078?s=20&t=m0tHYv6FO2ZyK72pI37vqg

It’s currently at $262,000 Vols fans are awesome

e: Zakai has said that anything above their base expenses they won’t keep and will donate to charity

Glad to see that NIL works.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Actually good point, could this have happened pre-NIL?

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Joey Freshwater posted:

Actually good point, could this have happened pre-NIL?

Kentucky fans raised over $150k on go fund me for Chris Oats' family to buy an accessible van for getting him around to rehab and such before the NIL deals started. That might not count though since I'm not sure if he's officially enrolled in school or on the roster still.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Zeigler is awesome, glad to see Vols fans step up and help his mom

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It wound up at $350k and they finally stopped it saying they’d never need that much

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/WillLH21/status/1500126558312439809

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
First ticket gets punched tonight in the Ohio Valley, where it would be a huge shock if Murray State lost after running the table in conference, but Morehead State is not terrible as these things go and beat a solid Belmont team to get here.

Racers are pretty comfortably in the field so Morehead would be stealing a bid.

tomorrow the Big South final will be on pretty early, coin flip between Longwood and Winthrop so decent chance for a good one there.

elentar fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 5, 2022

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

First ticket gets punched tonight in the Ohio Valley, where it would be a huge shock if Murray State lost after running the table in conference, but Morehead State is not terrible as these things go and beat a solid Belmont team to get here.

Racers are pretty comfortably in the field so Morehead would be stealing a bid.

Don't sleep on this Murray-Morehead game. 10 minutes in and it's pretty electric.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
:lol: gently caress Duke :lol:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

stump collector
May 28, 2007

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I forgot Okie State was banned from the Big 12 tournament this year. Saves ISU from playing on Wednesday at least.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
looks pretty safe to say Longwood will be making their first NCAA appearance, repping the Big South.

The school actually was a women's college until 1976 (Virginia generally went co-ed super late) except for a few scattered non-residential male students who formed essentially a club team. They started out in D3, moved up to D2, never really having much success—only one previous conference championship across all levels (and a lot of those years they were indepedent). Their coach is a dude who played college ball at nearby Hampden-Sydney and then was just a lawyer for a decade and a half while coaching AAU on the side.

Safe to say that a 25-win season (15-1 in conference) and an NCAA berth is pretty far and away something unimaginable even a few years ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Double bye if Iowa loses.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Ohio State poised for yet another early tourney exit. :sigh:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

elentar posted:

looks pretty safe to say Longwood will be making their first NCAA appearance, repping the Big South.

The school actually was a women's college until 1976 (Virginia generally went co-ed super late) except for a few scattered non-residential male students who formed essentially a club team. They started out in D3, moved up to D2, never really having much success—only one previous conference championship across all levels (and a lot of those years they were indepedent). Their coach is a dude who played college ball at nearby Hampden-Sydney and then was just a lawyer for a decade and a half while coaching AAU on the side.

Safe to say that a 25-win season (15-1 in conference) and an NCAA berth is pretty far and away something unimaginable even a few years ago.

That's pretty cool!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Cannot believe Illinois fell into a big ten championship like that, incredible

Fouled a three point shot when up 2 at the end and survived, somehow

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

mastershakeman posted:

Cannot believe Illinois fell into a big ten championship like that, incredible

Fouled a three point shot when up 2 at the end and survived, somehow

As a Michigan guy, I'd like to think it's a positive karma payback from last year's weird percentage-based system with Michigan's cancelled games.

How else could you explain Nebrasketball knocking off two straight ranked teams, on the road, to close out the season?

https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraCB/status/1500581529512251396

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rutgers has 2 byes in the big 10 tourney lol. What a world.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Tennessee and Purdue, destinies seemingly forever entwined, are tied at 9 in the AP poll.

mcmagic posted:

Rutgers has 2 byes in the big 10 tourney lol. What a world.

This is wild for a team apparently still on the bubble. Could be a problem if they can't get a win out of it and there are upsets in mid-major conference tourneys.

Usually around this time of the year, Purdue is like a 1-3 seed in the Big Ten Tourney and I'm looking at other teams knowing that they will beat Purdue no matter how difference the rankings are. This season as a 3, even with the recent losses, I still feel like there isn't a team in the conference that is so specifically head-and-shoulders better than us that I still feel like we could sneak in a tourney championship. Should be fun.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Two bids up for grabs tonight, both coin-flips. The Southern is between Chattanooga and Furman, either of which would be a pretty dangerous 13 seed. Sun Belt is a 3 vs 8 seed match between Georgia State and Lafayette, both of them playing at this point with house money.

Gonzaga-San Francisco could be good too, who knows.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Poque posted:

Tennessee and Purdue, destinies seemingly forever entwined, are tied at 9 in the AP poll.

This is wild for a team apparently still on the bubble. Could be a problem if they can't get a win out of it and there are upsets in mid-major conference tourneys.

Usually around this time of the year, Purdue is like a 1-3 seed in the Big Ten Tourney and I'm looking at other teams knowing that they will beat Purdue no matter how difference the rankings are. This season as a 3, even with the recent losses, I still feel like there isn't a team in the conference that is so specifically head-and-shoulders better than us that I still feel like we could sneak in a tourney championship. Should be fun.

If they don't get in with a 12-8 4th in the conference record with wins over literally every good team in the league i'm personally rioting at the NCAA offices.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Looks like Cream is out at Georgia. Know and of thinking this guy was never a good coach but just happened to coach Dwyane Wade.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

ACC Tournament starts today and it should be pretty chaotic but I don't think any of the Tuesday teams are gonna run the table at least.

Conference finals today:
  • Atlantic Sun, between Jacksonville and Bellarmine, who can't go to the NCAAs yet. if they win then Jacksonville State gets the autobid as regular season champ, despite losing to Jacksonville in the semis
  • Northeast, between Wagner and Bryant. Wagner is a better team by the stats, Bryant is the 1 seed and has never been to the tournament. 16 seed knockout game.
  • Colonial, between Delaware and UNC-Wilmington. Delaware knocked out the best Towson team in decades to get here, UNC-W looks pretty soft but they racked up wins this year without really beating anyone.
  • Horizon, between Northern Kentucky and Wright State. historically bad year for the Horizon, which came out a loser in every round of conference shuffling. winner will be a strong play-in game candidate.
  • West Coast, between Gonzaga and St. Mary's. Both very comfortably in though I guess Gonzaga is playing for the 1 seed overall.
  • Summit, between South Dakota St and North Dakota St. SDST ran the table in conference and is a very fun team to watch. Last hurdle for them before ruining some 5-seed's day.

elentar fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 9, 2022

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Chief McHeath posted:

Looks like Cream is out at Georgia. Know and of thinking this guy was never a good coach but just happened to coach Dwyane Wade.

Crean's biggest victory at Georgia was arguably his part in convincing the high school league to go to a shot clock.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I honestly didn't know Crean had gotten another job.

His year with Oladipo wasn't the worst either, for what it's worth.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Bellarmine wins the ASUN!

Also, presenting reason number 747583648 the NCAA is loving stupid.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

elentar posted:

[*]Summit, between South Dakota St and North Dakota St. SDSU ran the table in conference and is a very fun team to watch. Last hurdle for them before ruining some 5-seed's day.[/list]

SDST.

:mad:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

apologies, correcting

very much looking forward to the Jackrabbits in the tournament

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

elentar posted:

apologies, correcting

very much looking forward to the Jackrabbits in the tournament

Just giving you a hard time. ESPN made the same mistake except they used the SDSU logo for the game today lol

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Only final tonight is in the Patriot where Colgate goes for their 3rd bid in 4 years against Navy, which hasn't gone since 1998. Almost every other tournament will be up and running today though (MAC, Big West, American start tomorrow, Ivy is just a four-team weekend deal)

Also forgot to note that this will now be Bryant's first NCAA tournament. Their basketball history isn't as interesting but they have been in one national final before at the DII level, losing to Virginia Union in 2005. Institutionally they started out as a franchise of a 19th-century private, for-profit chain teaching accounting and other business stuff, essentially the University of Phoenix of its day. (They're still running that chain as Bryant & Stratton in several states and it is a huge money pit and student loan trap to this day.) This Bryant split off in the 1870s and rattled around for a few decades before going non-profit, eventually selling their prime Providence real estate to Brown and moving to land outside the city donated by the inventor of Tupperware. I have no idea what to do with this info other than pass it along.

a neat cape posted:

Just giving you a hard time. ESPN made the same mistake except they used the SDSU logo for the game today lol

Oh no worries, I get very mildly irked every time they manage to somehow screw up "NC State" or "NCSU", least I can do is get others right

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pike getting paid again. Well deserved. I guess they were worried about Maryland or Louisville

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The mighty Northwestern Wild Cat has won its first tournament game since 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This Vanderbilt-Georgia game might be the worst college basketball game I've ever watched.