Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Szmitten posted:

Am I dumb and naive for finding it strange for Ukranian officials to ask for no-fly zones they know can't be granted and for insisting the west acted too late and are abandoning them while receiving supplies from them? I feel like it only fuels the anti-Nato/pro-Putin right/left messaging.

He has to convince Ukrainians to fight and not hope for rescue; it's entirely reasonable for him to prioritize a domestic audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Also for a bit of dark comedy to break things up this is a pro watch. Watch till the end for a goddamn Shamalyanian twist :dogstare:

You will not be disappointed

https://twitter.com/skbozphd/status/1499298691156705282?t=jjfCW7m7KW_8gNKclouNdg&s=19

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Just drove by the RUs embassy in Warsaw, someone came in a truck a dumped a load of gravel at the main gate

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Worth noting most of the Russian AAs have coverage well into Poland.

And while the past week or so might bring these claims into serious question, S-400 is supposed to be absolutely world class state of the art. Supposed to be.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I'll also note that we've seen a lot of evidence from Syria that the capabilities of the S400 are nowhere near what Russia has claimed.

Which would fit right in with what we're seeing about their ground forces as well.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Szmitten posted:

Am I dumb and naive for finding it strange for Ukranian officials to ask for no-fly zones they know can't be granted and for insisting the west acted too late and are abandoning them while receiving supplies from them? I feel like it only fuels the anti-Nato/pro-Putin right/left messaging.

It's desperation/shaming them into doing more. It's perfectly understandable and probably works on some levels even if it doesnt get NATO involved directly.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Szmitten posted:

Gives a rallying cry of no one is going to defend Ukraine but Ukraine. it gives NATO cover to give material but not escalate and gives Russia something to bargin in a peace deal. No No-Fly Zone so it looks like Russia once something in a peace deal.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

By asking for far right-of-arc things that he knows can't be delivered Zelenskyy keeps up pressure on Western governments to do something and for that something to be as meaningful as possible.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Szmitten posted:

It's fueling calls and public pressure for NATO/EU to "do more", and leaders in those countries are trying to find ways to do more that don't involve direct conflict to convince their own people that they are doing more. Always ask for more than you think you can get.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think even Russian propagandists are not shameless enough to bring up Aidar as an example of what they’re trying to portray. It was officially disbanded due to problematic elements, and later re-established after spooks vetted them for people who shouldn’t be near a gun.

welp:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1499754275462950914

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheRat posted:

And while the past week or so might bring these claims into serious question, S-400 is supposed to be absolutely world class state of the art. Supposed to be.

Yeah, thusfar there's questions if they have even tried to use the S-400 in Ukraine, or if it even worked.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

KitConstantine posted:

Apparently Russia is officially trying to push the line that Zelensky has fled. I don't think it will work.

If there was any doubt he was a Russian asset:

https://twitter.com/GeorgePapa19/status/1499742646994186248?t=LxgK-kzwzRXduvmBbqccHw&s=19
The Italian media has been weirdly pushing the Russian line this whole time. Anyone have any insight into that?
What exactly are Italian media reporting according to that trumpist felon? That article is about something completely different, only at the end it says in one or two sentences 'Volodin says Zelensky fled, UA side did not confirm it.'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GABA ghoul posted:

Don't know how credible this is, but Kubela has also talked about reported rapes recently

https://twitter.com/motytchak/status/1499713177633837057?t=VOSfvtLmbHK_VKM9NkfP_g&s=19

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1499713113586868226?t=JIu4EXFXbHxhwv12yCGDZg&s=19

Occupation is gonna be hell for Ukrainians

loving gross assholes. Hope the people start giving the occupiers the light post treatment.

Alchenar posted:

By asking for far right-of-arc things that he knows can't be delivered Zelenskyy keeps up pressure on Western governments to do something and for that something to be as meaningful as possible.

i mean its been working. they are being showered in weapons/supplies and cash and intelligence and russia is now hosed economically and soft power wise.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ha, look at that terrible framerate.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jarmak posted:

I'll also note that we've seen a lot of evidence from Syria that the capabilities of the S400 are nowhere near what Russia has claimed.

Which would fit right in with what we're seeing about their ground forces as well.

This might very well be true. It might also be true that Russia and Israel didn't want to shoot at eachother.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, thusfar there's questions if they have even tried to use the S-400 in Ukraine, or if it even worked.

I've not seen it mentioned once so far by the war reporters/bragging videos, but I suppose it would be very difficult to report on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Szmitten posted:

I mean, yeah, they are asking for heaven and earth to be moved for them under any possible pretense because they are under attack. "This is politically impossible at this time" doesn't really go very far when shells are raining down on your city.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean its been working. they are being showered in weapons/supplies and cash and intelligence and russia is now hosed economically and soft power wise.

This bears worth repeating: Russian soft power was almost second to none prior to invading Ukraine. They could've easily kept that up.

The amount of advantages they threw away for an ill fated invasion is.....insane.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

At this point everything demonstrated about the numbers and capabilities of their so called advanced weapons, and their lack of training, coordination, communication, and logistics, unavoidably lead to the conclusion that a conventional war between Russia and the USA would be roughly akin to the fight between the human militaries and the aliens in PYF invasion movie.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

The idea that NATO needs to destroy S400 sites in Russia to enact a limited NFZ requires you to believe that S400 sites in Russia can keep 5G aircraft from operating over Poland but Patriots in Poland can't keep 4G aircraft operating just on the other side of the Ukrainian border.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Latest estimates I've seen are the S400 can only pick up F35s within 20mi, and IIRC the F22 is stealthier. In addition to that Poland is host to a substantial Patriot net that could engage over the border.

NATO needs more than just fighters to enforce a no fly zone.

Jarmak posted:

This is exactly the danger posed by the continued assertions in this thread that we've seen an incompetent and incapable Russian military. We are seeing their ground forces executing a plan that is in line with their reported doctrine and ability and you've just used to ignore the risks of Russian AA systems to NATO aircraft.

If the popular conception of this conflict ends up being "oh yeah Russia is just totally inept" some very stupid decisions are going to be made in the future.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

ronya posted:

He has to convince Ukrainians to fight and not hope for rescue; it's entirely reasonable for him to prioritize a domestic audience

Als to the second point, I thought it was more along the lines of Ze saying something like "The West is trying to help us but because of politics and logistics it was, unfortunately, too late to deter Putin. It would've been better if they acted sooner but that just wasn't feasible at the time." being reframed by biased media as "Zelensky blaming the West for not acting sooner and stopping Putin before the invasion."

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Jarmak posted:

Becasue the S400s in Syria are operated by Russian forces hence they will not use them to shoot down Israeli planes.

There is 0 assessment to be made of their operational capability if they haven't been even fired.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Jarmak posted:

The idea that NATO needs to destroy S400 sites in Russia to enact a limited NFZ requires you to believe that S400 sites in Russia can keep 5G aircraft from operating over Poland but Patriots in Poland can't keep 4G aircraft operating just on the other side of the Ukrainian border.

The Russian's would also do the exact same thing and attack AA systems in Poland or other NATO states that present a threat to them! This is why a NFZ is a bad idea and a massive escalation and not something can just happen E-Z-P-Z

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Servetus posted:

It's fueling calls and public pressure for NATO/EU to "do more", and leaders in those countries are trying to find ways to do more that don't involve direct conflict to convince their own people that they are doing more. Always ask for more than you think you can get.

I watched the NATO press conference. While there were very firm denials that a no fly zone would be implemented and "No NATO planes, pilots, or troops" was the bottom line he got a bit cagey when asked if NATO **or non NATO allies** were now willing to sell planes to Ukraine to fly themselves. "We can't say exactly what military support you are providing"

Not a confirmation, not much of anything really, but it's a contrast to the heated denials of any such thing the first time it was reported as an option.

Remains to be seen.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

NATO needs more than just fighters to enforce a no fly zone.

If you're talking about other aircraft then no it absolutely doesn't. It probably doesn't even need to put fighters in the air.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CommieGIR posted:

This bears worth repeating: Russian soft power was almost second to none prior to invading Ukraine. They could've easily kept that up.

The amount of advantages they threw away for an ill fated invasion is.....insane.

Yeah. It’s why they are a great power along with nukes. Now all they have is nukes and fear.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mokotow posted:

Just drove by the RUs embassy in Warsaw, someone came in a truck a dumped a load of gravel at the main gate

On reflection I think it was fertilizer

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

NTRabbit posted:

At this point everything demonstrated about the numbers and capabilities of their so called advanced weapons, and their lack of training, coordination, communication, and logistics, unavoidably lead to the conclusion that a conventional war between Russia and the USA would be roughly akin to the fight between the human militaries and the aliens in PYF invasion movie.

I think this is exactly why everyone started dogpiling Russia as soon as Putin let his rear end hang out. Real paper tiger poo poo (except this paper tiger also has nuclear ICBM's but I digress)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'm assuming that the 2 B-52's doing doughnuts over Romania is just sabre rattling..

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Senator Narusova keeps the quixotic quest for truth

https://twitter.com/ilya_shepelin/status/1499753134603784196?t=AYZQi8UwqDl6247Qd0NIfA&s=19

"Video of Narusova's speech about the killed conscripts

- Yesterday the conscripts, who were forced to sign a contract or were signed for them, were withdrawn from the combat zone in Ukraine. But after only four of a company of a hundred men remained alive"

Just so you know, she is a widow of Putin's boss in early 90's, Anatoly Sobchack, mayor of St Petersburg, so she is protected from harm or investigations.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

It is well established at this point that Putin wants to take Zelensky out and has boots in Kiev. Of course they want to bait him into making another public video from some historic site in Kiev - they have probably staked them out to either assassinate him outright or track him to his compound for a strike

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Szmitten posted:

It's an indication that they're pretty worried about losing their remaining AA and aircraft. Supposedly, Russia has been holding the majority of its airforce in reserve, but the question is if they simply don't have the maintenance and supply capacity to get all of it in the air. But if the Russians can establish air supremacy, things will go badly, and that may only be a question of time.

I wonder if there are any realistic escalations of Western military support, that fall short of a NATO no-fly zone. The supply of planes seems to have become a no-go, and Western planes being flown by Western pilots who have volunteered for the Ukrainian Air Force would be an escalation of that. Other than that, certain European nations (Poland? France?) entering into a bilateral defensive treaty with Ukraine would be less escalatory than full NATO intervention, but still pretty Clancy, so I'll stop there.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 4, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Just so you know, she is a widow of Putin's boss in early 90's, Anatoly Sobchack, mayor of St Petersburg, so she is protected from harm or investigations.

Forgive me for not understanding the internal politics, how does this protect her from harm? Is it a form of respect from Putin towards his former boss?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

man headlines like this remind me why some on the left became pro-Russia

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

FishBulbia posted:

Yeah, that's a yikes from me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FishBulbia posted:

Because they're morons?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Taeke posted:

Als to the second point, I thought it was more along the lines of Ze saying something like "The West is trying to help us but because of politics and logistics it was, unfortunately, too late to deter Putin. It would've been better if they acted sooner but that just wasn't feasible at the time." being reframed by biased media as "Zelensky blaming the West for not acting sooner and stopping Putin before the invasion."

For what it's worth, he's 100% right that the US limited its aid; e.g., withdrew forces or degraded shared intel in order to mitigate provocation.

At some point US intel suggested that the Russian buildup throughout 2021 was really serious and instead of shows of force, the US switched to a strategy of de-escalating whilst accusing Russia of planning an attack.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

SirTagz posted:

You know, if Finns and Swdes wanted that protection, they could have it by just joining NATO - they would be welcomed with open arms. Making claims of "protecting" states that do not want it sounds quite imperialistic and agressive for a defensive alliance

Sweden and Finland have defense assurances and obligations through the EU. It is not as if Europe is necessarily completely dependant on NATO for collective security, even if discourse tends to lean that way

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

KitConstantine posted:

Clouds finally cleared enough to get a clear picture of the column north of Kyiv - still a parking lot. And you can see where ambushed equipment had to be dragged off the road in a few areas to keep moving forward.

https://twitter.com/_esaliba/status/1499733391259885578?t=An3_CiXO_M5So8TLlctPQA&s=19

Are they moving at all, or have they largely run out of fuel and are just a vehicular graveyard of misery, hunger and dysentery at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TheRat posted:

Forgive me for not understanding the internal politics, how does this protect her from harm? Is it a form of respect from Putin towards his former boss?

Yes, he doesnt touch some people out of strange honor type deals made in the 90's - Yeltsin family, Sobchacks, Anatoly Chubais