Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

jassa posted:

Never gonna happen.

why not? it might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Cat Machine posted:

The lanterns are gonna float up the dreams of Wano’s people and give Luffy what he needs to beat Kaido for good and it’s gonna be sick

I still feel like before this ends, Onigashima is going to look like a sky boat itself. Between the place being on fire, the land crumbling away more & more, and the frequent cuts back to the festival... it's going to be Wano's 'cherry blossom' moment.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Lpzie posted:

why not? it might.

Because Luffy is the man who'll become the Pirate King. Duh.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Since Luffy kept repeating “this is my last G4” and desperately clinging onto the form after taking blows it’d feel strange for him to be in fighting shape after this. Unless it’s that classic trope of a hidden reserve even he didn’t know he had.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its been a while since luffy ended a fight in his basic form. I'd like that to happen.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Just wanna say that this panel made Kaido my favorite villain in One Piece. Amazing

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Pour one out for this CP0 guy, cause Kaido is gonna turn him into some bloody meat paste

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
absolutely disgusted that nobody has mentioned flirty Kaido yet

in a chapter filled with incredible moments, that was my favorite

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm not reading all those spoiler bars,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghMQJo0Ocfk
Murphy just read 3 1/2 hours of theorycrafting videos and her mind has been blown.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hey everyone don’t worry when I’m drunk i also think I know a ton about science but it turns out I’m just dumb.

Seriously tho, what does Kaido know about what magic devil fruit rubber can do?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Guy A. Person posted:

Maybe it's less "rubber shouldn't be able to do [spoiler]this[/i!]" and more "[i]rubber shouldn't be able to do this!" i.e maybe Kaido isn't talking about the physical properties of rubber so much as wondering why the rubber man can do something that he recognizes as something else.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Maybe it's just an expression of incredulity at Luffy's cool abilities. There's a ton of things Luffy can do that rubber shouldn't be able to do. Why do his giant balloon limbs full of air hit like they're solid? Why does he get tiny after having gotten big? This stuff has always run off of cartoon logic, and it's fine and kind of funny to have a drunken villain getting confused by that.

Maybe there's more to Luffy's fruit, and maybe it'll awaken soon in an interesting way, and maybe this is vague foreshadowing to that end. But the key word there is vague. I don't feel there's a lot to actually discuss on this subject right now. Maybe he's indicating something, maybe he isn't. Who knows.

I think if Oda ends up doing something with Luffy's fruit, he'll probably do something cool with it and I'll be on board when I see the cool thing. Currently there's just some vague foreshadowing, without any of that obviously cool stuff yet so it doesn't feel like there's a lot to discuss yet.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
maybe he just didn’t expect rubber to turn into mountain levelling blows that come faster than every move in the arc that isn’t beam blasts

lol at yamato dodging another attack like that too

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Re: fruit and prophecy stuff, I'm basically okay with whatever Oda wants to do with that. He has such a proven track record of using tropes in fun and creative ways that I can give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's okay if Luffy is a prophesized hero, because he has been discounted and underestimated and disrespected the whole time. It's not a case of the whole thing being a foregone conclusion, because people are only just now thinking it might actually be him. And they think that because of what he's done, not the circumstances of his birth or whatever.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm sure we're about to learn way more about CP0 guy moving forward but hoenstly it would be funny if Kaido just destroyed him next chapter and we never even learn his name

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I want to believe that the prophecy is a misdirection. My hope is that this is Shanks misleading the WG (remember, he had that meeting with the Gorosei) to distract them long enough so he can get to Laugh Tale, but anything could be I guess.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Cat Machine posted:

The lanterns are gonna float up the dreams of Wano’s people and give Luffy what he needs to beat Kaido for good and it’s gonna be sick

I feel like the lanters are going to float up and detonate the arsenal, but who is to say that that's not the same thing?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wondered a while ago if awakening would allow Luffy to absorb damage and fire it back out again, and that the final hit could involve everyone hitting Luffy to give his last attack enough of a boost to smash Kaido through the skull and send him flying over the horizon like Luffy promised he would do. Could still happen! Especially if everyone comes to the roof to see him defeated, but he gets up again, plus the samurai could get the final hit to avenge Oden while still keeping Luffy as the one actively forcing Kaido out of Wano.

Then the lanterns could trigger the explosives, which everyone would be far away from at that point, and Momo would be able to catch them all and get his big hero moment.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Green Intern posted:

I feel like the lanters are going to float up and detonate the arsenal, but who is to say that that's not the same thing?

I thought that most or all of the bombs fell out the bottom of Onigashima into the hole with Big Mom.. there was that massive explosion after her fall (silenced by Law's room powers so the people in the city didn't hear it).... if not, why hasn't Yamato thrown all the bombs out the bottom of Onigashima into the hole with big mom?

We all kind of knew that Luffy was going to face some major setback just now, lots of story essential stuff hasn't happened yet (Kaido's flashback especially, but also big plot moments for Hiyori, Yamato and Momonosuke, the people of Wano actually becoming aware of the conflict going on over their heads and being invested in it's outcome, probably other really obvious stuff that isn't popping into my mind right now). I think Luffy is definitely going to demonstrate some new ability (whether it's a "gear 5" or an awakening of his devil fruit) to end this fight, it didn't really make sense for him to beat Kaido using the same abilities that have worked on lesser antagonists in the past.

It does feel like it's all coming to an end in the next 10 chapters though :) great time to be a One Piece reader!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Guy A. Person posted:

Hey everyone don’t worry when I’m drunk i also think I know a ton about science but it turns out I’m just dumb.

The whole name of the fruit is "I am rubber and you are glue, whatever you say bounce off me and sticks to you" fruit. So the user is rubber but also whoever he fights becomes glue.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Love CP0 getting involved. All this yonkou stuff is a sideshow, the real final boss is the WG deep state.

Have to respect the CP0 guy too, gets stabbed through the back by drake, takes him out anyways, goes upstairs and instantly decides the fight.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Everyone's talking about CP0 guy getting immediately pasted/beaten down, but I don't think so.

1. Oda is way too good a writer to introduce these guys so long ago (think they appeared on Dresserosa first?) and have them be built up as this major threat for so long just for them all be nameless mooks whose only purposes are to be smacked around. There's no stakes then and it was pointless from the beginning.

2. I see that last panel as this guy having some kind of regret for what he is doing and a deeper connection to parties present. Think he's going to be talking more than fighting. He absolutely knows one of the two personally in some way. If combat does occur which is reasonable to assume, I'm thinking he might be backed into a corner and forced to use an ability that would reveal his identity (DF power, signature fighting style, etc).

3. Alternatively this would be a good opportunity for Oda to implement the "Worf effect" by having his mystery villain with unknown, but clearly present, connection to the Gorosei just absolutely wreck shop on Kaido for a while to demonstrate this next echelon of power weilded by the Elders.

4. The cop out would be a high ranking rebel who has, yet again, infiltrated the highest levels of government. Are there any of those guys unattended for?

Also it's Coby/Helmeppo

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I wondered a while ago if awakening would allow Luffy to absorb damage and fire it back out again, and that the final hit could involve everyone hitting Luffy to give his last attack enough of a boost to smash Kaido through the skull and send him flying over the horizon like Luffy promised he would do. Could still happen! Especially if everyone comes to the roof to see him defeated, but he gets up again, plus the samurai could get the final hit to avenge Oden while still keeping Luffy as the one actively forcing Kaido out of Wano.

Then the lanterns could trigger the explosives, which everyone would be far away from at that point, and Momo would be able to catch them all and get his big hero moment.

Gotta store up potential energy BotW style to launch the Luffy Boulder into the stratosphere.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Re Kaido being confused about Luffy's arms rebounding like that: I think what someone earlier in the thread theorized is right, Luffy is probably unintentionally awakening his fruit, he's turning the air just beyond of his fist into rubber so his fist bounces off it, and that's how it's zig zagging.

It's funny how until Kaido mentioned that, I never thought about it, but it is odd.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Starsfan posted:

I thought that most or all of the bombs fell out the bottom of Onigashima into the hole with Big Mom.. there was that massive explosion after her fall (silenced by Law's room powers so the people in the city didn't hear it).... if not, why hasn't Yamato thrown all the bombs out the bottom of Onigashima into the hole with big mom?

We all kind of knew that Luffy was going to face some major setback just now, lots of story essential stuff hasn't happened yet (Kaido's flashback especially, but also big plot moments for Hiyori, Yamato and Momonosuke, the people of Wano actually becoming aware of the conflict going on over their heads and being invested in it's outcome, probably other really obvious stuff that isn't popping into my mind right now). I think Luffy is definitely going to demonstrate some new ability (whether it's a "gear 5" or an awakening of his devil fruit) to end this fight, it didn't really make sense for him to beat Kaido using the same abilities that have worked on lesser antagonists in the past.

It does feel like it's all coming to an end in the next 10 chapters though :) great time to be a One Piece reader!

Nah, that big explosion was caused by a missile/torpedo shaped bomb which fell down with her. The rest of the firework-shaped bombs are still up there with Yamato.

I half expect the act to end with Hiyori playing the shamisen as she has for all the others, as she walks toward Orochi. Then Denjiro steps out of the shadows, hands her father's other sword to her while taking her shamisen, and she decapitates Orochi as the curtains drop.

Honestly, none of that other stuff needs to progress any further this act. Next chapter could resolve the immediate situation with the CP0 agent's interference, have the people in the flower capital finally notice Onigashima, resolve Hiyori/Orochi, and then end the act. Act 4 could start with the Kaido flashback, the possible awakening of Luffy's fruit, and then kick off everything else.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Crazyeyes posted:

Everyone's talking about CP0 guy getting immediately pasted/beaten down, but I don't think so.

1. Oda is way too good a writer to introduce these guys so long ago (think they appeared on Dresserosa first?) and have them be built up as this major threat for so long just for them all be nameless mooks whose only purposes are to be smacked around. There's no stakes then and it was pointless from the beginning.

2. I see that last panel as this guy having some kind of regret for what he is doing and a deeper connection to parties present. Think he's going to be talking more than fighting. He absolutely knows one of the two personally in some way. If combat does occur which is reasonable to assume, I'm thinking he might be backed into a corner and forced to use an ability that would reveal his identity (DF power, signature fighting style, etc).

3. Alternatively this would be a good opportunity for Oda to implement the "Worf effect" by having his mystery villain with unknown, but clearly present, connection to the Gorosei just absolutely wreck shop on Kaido for a while to demonstrate this next echelon of power weilded by the Elders.

4. The cop out would be a high ranking rebel who has, yet again, infiltrated the highest levels of government. Are there any of those guys unattended for?

Also it's Coby/Helmeppo

Izo, who's not as strong as Zoro let alone Luffy, still managed to take one of them down.

This guy protested when asked to interfere with the battle, saying they were asking for the impossible. He had to use an underhanded tactic to intervene and still relied on Kaido to do the actual damage to Luffy. He might be a threat to the rest of the Strawhats, but no way is he Emperor-level.

That said, the other CP0 guy hasn't done anything of note yet, so who knows what's up with him?

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Crazyeyes posted:

yeah

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jassa posted:

Izo, who's not as strong as Zoro let alone Luffy, still managed to take one of them down.

This guy protested when asked to interfere with the battle, saying they were asking for the impossible. He had to use an underhanded tactic to intervene and still relied on Kaido to do the actual damage to Luffy. He might be a threat to the rest of the Strawhats, but no way is he Emperor-level.

That said, the other CP0 guy hasn't done anything of note yet, so who knows what's up with him?

Izo is "not as strong as Zoro" but that's cause Zoro is like one of the top fighters in the world right now, after he just took down King. And Izo is still a commander of one of Whitebeard's ships who needed to sacrifice himself to take down a single CP0 guy who had already defeated a Supernova and one of the Numbers.

Also I think CP0 in general is more about subterfuge than straight up brawling, it's weird that people think these guys are being Worfed because they lose their fights (well I mean one of them lost a single fight) and that makes them irrelevant, when the 1 and 2 guys under an Emperor have lost their fights. I don't think "needs to be on the fighting level of an Emperor" is the same as "is a viable threat and important to the story" (especially given that they just accomplished their exact mission, on screen).

(this is as much a reply to Crazyeyes and the other sentiments about CP0 as it is to you jassa, I am just piggybacking off this post :))

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Guys One Piece is good and i think this may be the end of act three if it’s still goes for the 5 act structure

Asuron fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 4, 2022

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
yall seem a little nuts to me rn. i originally thought the wg was referring to tama, but now that we've had 1. whos who specifically getting jailed for losing the fruit 2. the wg going "omg that awakening was only a rumor even to us" and 3. kaido explicitly going "wtf rubber shouldn't be able to do this" in one single arc i think we're being beaten over the head with the idea that luffy isn't just the rubber man

i dont like it but it seems like the case

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Asuron posted:

Guys One Piece is good and i think this may be the end of act three if it’s still goes for the 5 act structure

lmfao i honestly forgot we are STILL IN ACT THREE

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

I don't think intervening in an Emperor level fight to rob Kaido of his honorable victory and loving everything up for everyone counts as "just getting smacked around." He's done something very, very important here, in terms of how this story is going to go.

You're right he was introduced ages ago to have a significant role in the story, but I think that role was what we saw this chapter.

There definitely could be more to him, but if he gets taken out in a single blow from Kaido next chapter, I would not be surprised, and I don't think it would be anticlimactic.

The World Government doesn't care about honorable fair fights- as far as they're concerned this guy is responsible for finally getting rid of Luffy.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

I feel like y'all are taking this line too literally. It read to me more as Kaido not expecting Luffy to be able to do creative poo poo like snakeman with his devil fruit. It's not like Kaido is an expert on the physical properties of rubber, or even devil fruits.

Hopefully the official translation clears it up a bit.

I think it ties into the same things Katakuri and Doffy said when they encountered Gear Fourth. They're shocked what it can do and seems to transcend being just rubber. Whether it's Awakening or not remains to be seen, but it's more to illustrate just how much more nuanced Gear Fourth is than 2nd and 3rd.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I just envisioned where this might go, which never goes well for me with Oda, but--
As he mentioned when he beat Luffy last time, Kaido knows that the enemies' spirits will never be broken unless they see Luffy's defeat for themselves. I think from here, Kaido will call out to everyone to "Stop fighting or else the Straw Hat dies". From there, we recreate the Oden execution scene with his nine crewmates, further continuing the parallels.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
I think it's easy to sometimes lose perspective of the "power level" thing as well, now that we're approaching the endgame of the series. Concentrated entirely on Onigashima right now is literally some of the strongest fighters in the whole world. I don't think any random fight between most of the individuals here would go down easy; the only exceptions being maybe the Yonko themselves. And even then, a whole point of this arc has been that there are rookies strong enough to put up a fight against them.
Anyway, I haven't felt CP0 being overpowered here has lessened the general threat of them in any way. To the rest of the world that isn't a former Commander of a Yonko's army or a "Worst Generation" Supernova, these guys would've been an overwhelming opponent.

On the rubber fruit thing, I don't think it's feasible at all for Luffy to have actually been using a different fruit all along. I mean, it's Oda's story and he can make that the twist if he wants to. But it would seem weird when so much of the series has been based on rubber puns, matchups like Enel, and scenes like Luffy refusing to be crushed because he's "rubber". It would be really clunky for that to become something else entirely.
People using seemingly 'useless' fruits in odd and creative ways has been a theme of the series from the beginning. It was a whole part of the Katakuri fight; ie, Katakuri being like Luffy, having a fruit that on the surface has limited combat potential, and then creating devastating attacks through clever use of it and his own combat ability.

We'll just have to see how it plays out.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Guy A. Person posted:

Izo is "not as strong as Zoro" but that's cause Zoro is like one of the top fighters in the world right now, after he just took down King. And Izo is still a commander of one of Whitebeard's ships who needed to sacrifice himself to take down a single CP0 guy who had already defeated a Supernova and one of the Numbers.

Also I think CP0 in general is more about subterfuge than straight up brawling, it's weird that people think these guys are being Worfed because they lose their fights (well I mean one of them lost a single fight) and that makes them irrelevant, when the 1 and 2 guys under an Emperor have lost their fights. I don't think "needs to be on the fighting level of an Emperor" is the same as "is a viable threat and important to the story" (especially given that they just accomplished their exact mission, on screen).

(this is as much a reply to Crazyeyes and the other sentiments about CP0 as it is to you jassa, I am just piggybacking off this post :))

Yeah I have no problem with them being a threat due to subterfuge and underhanded tactics, I just don't see it making sense narratively (or logically) for there to be another group of people who can go 1-on-1 in an open fight with Pirate Emperors. We still have the Marine Admirals, Garp, Blackbeard & crew, and possibly the Five Elders and Im. I bet I'm missing some others too.

If even half of the CP0 agents we've seen were Emperor-level or stronger it makes it a lot harder to believe they'd even tolerate the existence of the Emperors, let alone fear them as a world power. The WG and Marines could each send a few of their strongest in a joint operation against them at pretty much any time.

Zakutambah posted:

On the rubber fruit thing, I don't think it's feasible at all for Luffy to have actually been using a different fruit all along. I mean, it's Oda's story and he can make that the twist if he wants to. But it would seem weird when so much of the series has been based on rubber puns, matchups like Enel, and scenes like Luffy refusing to be crushed because he's "rubber". It would be really clunky for that to become something else entirely.
People using seemingly 'useless' fruits in odd and creative ways has been a theme of the series from the beginning. It was a whole part of the Katakuri fight; ie, Katakuri being like Luffy, having a fruit that on the surface has limited combat potential, and then creating devastating attacks through clever use of it and his own combat ability.

Based on my earlier observations of Luffy's 'voice of all things' ability seeming stronger each time he's KO'd, I have a rough theory his DF could be something which ties into that. Maybe he can speak to the 'essences' of objects and in some cases convince them to change their form or properties. Transmutation of self (and when awakened, other things) I suppose.

jassa fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 4, 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fecha posted:

I just envisioned where this might go, which never goes well for me with Oda, but--
As he mentioned when he beat Luffy last time, Kaido knows that the enemies' spirits will never be broken unless they see Luffy's defeat for themselves. I think from here, Kaido will call out to everyone to "Stop fighting or else the Straw Hat dies". From there, we recreate the Oden execution scene with his nine crewmates, further continuing the parallels.
Man, that's going to be cool and terrifying if it goes that way. Kaido victorious comes down with Luffy and there's just no one left who can oppose him. Even with all his lackeys defeated, he could regain total control just like that, and set up a public execution of Luffy. That's kind of too good a setup not to use- not just paralleling Oden, but giving Luffy another chance to laugh as he thinks he's about to die.

I have no idea how things are going to be turned around after this. The island is so close to the Flower Capital. I guess Yamato and Momonosuke are still able to fight, but they've both already had their time to stall Kaido earlier in the arc.

There is the magic pill that makes your injuries go away temporarily that Zoro took. I'm not sure how satisfying it would feel if Luffy bounced back due to something like that, but it's there.

Marco's there, and I know he can't just magically heal people, but maybe he can sacrifice himself or something with his phoenix powers.

I really have no idea where things are going to go next and it's very exciting.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Ah, so it's a mystery forum page

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

tbp posted:

lmfao i honestly forgot we are STILL IN ACT THREE

Act 3 is forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm