Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Somewhat tangential but what quantity of "semi-luxury" (?) imported goods like coffee, curry powder, graphics cards, things that while not necessary to daily survival are taken for granted in modern life above the poverty line, would Russia have stockpiled in country? Because with the sanctions and the Ruble crash they'll be facing severe shortages on these things they can't produce themselves soon, and that'll lead to a noticeable drop in quality of life for many people. While this may be offset by social media bans, and the people most affected are not Putin's base, the consequences of the war are going to affect the daily lives of even apolitical Russians very soon, probably in a very severe way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Gros Tarla posted:

So, what happens when it collapses? They pack up their poo poo and go back home to try again in a decade?

I'm not sure what the implications of the Russian army running out of cash, thus leaving the country technically undefended.

If I recall correctly, they have to sell all of their houses and hotels in order to try and pay their debts.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

That Bellingcat prediction reminds me of the JP Morgan prediction of a 35% GDP contraction for Russia. I suspect it's overly optimistic (from a pro-Ukraine standpoint). But I would still think the effects of the sanctions and other moves have taken some kind of toll.

Just to be technical, that's was a 35% quarter contraction, and 8% or so annual i.e. if it continued for the whole year it would be 35%.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

That Bellingcat prediction reminds me of the JP Morgan prediction of a 35% GDP contraction for Russia. I suspect it's overly optimistic (from a pro-Ukraine standpoint). But I would still think the effects of the sanctions and other moves have taken some kind of toll.

Fortunately, it's a prediction that will bear out quite soon. I was rather skeptical when I saw it, but we'll know soon whether it was based on anything other than optimism and speculation.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

No Fly Zone is a no go, but do agree with the polls: We need to bite the bullet and cut off Russian gas and oil.

Maybe Biden's hoping to get the Iran Deal back on so he can mitigate the shock of that announcement some. It'd take a while for Iranian oil to make a difference, and it couldn't "replace" Russian stock on the global market, but it'd probably help psychologically if nothing else.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Telsa Cola posted:

The army or the country because god drat.

Yes. Longer answer is army first, then client states, then possibly government.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Somewhat tangential but what quantity of "semi-luxury" (?) imported goods like coffee, curry powder, graphics cards, things that while not necessary to daily survival are taken for granted in modern life above the poverty line, would Russia have stockpiled in country? Because with the sanctions and the Ruble crash they'll be facing severe shortages on these things they can't produce themselves soon, and that'll lead to a noticeable drop in quality of life for many people. While this may be offset by social media bans, and the people most affected are not Putin's base, the consequences of the war are going to affect the daily lives of even apolitical Russians very soon, probably in a very severe way.

i remember a russian poster in this thread already noted that they had bought a big bag of coffee because they figured it would be the last they'd see for a while

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

I'll believe this only after it happens. I want Ukraine to win and yeah they've been kicking rear end and the Russian army is making GBS threads razors in bed but I'd sooner expect NATO to send Zelensky a loving Mechagodzilla.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I am very skeptical of "by Sunday", but there has to be a time limit of some sort. They have to pay (and feed) their soldiers in some way right? How is that supposed to work with a rapidly imploding economy?

e:

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Bellingcat has to be referring to literal front line ammunition and supplies. That's unrelated from sanctions. So I guess no more arty shoot shoot and missiles from sunday on, because its simply not there in sufficient quantities.

Now this I could believe with all their "convoys stuck in the mud" snafus.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 4, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Grammarchist posted:

Maybe Biden's hoping to get the Iran Deal back on so he can mitigate the shock of that announcement some. It'd take a while for Iranian oil to make a difference, and it couldn't "replace" Russian stock on the global market, but it'd probably help psychologically if nothing else.

What's the scuttlebutt on that? I feel like that whole dialogue just disappeared from the media radar given Biden's other problems so I figured nothing good was happening.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

No Fly Zone is a no go, but do agree with the polls: We need to bite the bullet and cut off Russian gas and oil.

It sounds like we are very much headed in that direction.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

An update on the "russian army collapse": apparently the Bellingcat prediction said "another 10 days or two weeks" till they run out of logistical supplies or money and that was said in an interview on March 2nd. So, take it for what you will, but I don't know where nexta tv got the Sunday figure from. Hasn't nexta tv already been posting some wild claims before? Just take that account (heck, and all accounts) with a slab of salt.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's because we've never really enforced one on a county that could reasonably punch back and punch back at the homeland if they wanted to. I expect there is little understanding of the risk.

Very briefly, friends of mine have been involved a long, long time in conflict gaming at a high level, where actual decision makers are brought together to walk through various scenarios. The tendency is to underestimate the risk the other side escalates. In many gaming scenarios the Soviets would escalate to tactical nukes because they assumed NATO wouldn't go strategic. I see a real risk that if NATO attempted to enforce a NFZ that this would get very hot very quickly.

Putin is wayyyyy more invested in this than anyone other than Ukraine.

Don't keep ratcheting up military options, in short.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Gros Tarla posted:

So, what happens when it collapses? They pack up their poo poo and go back home to try again in a decade?

I'm not sure what the implications of the Russian army running out of cash, thus leaving the country technically undefended.

The Russian army can't technically run out of cash since Russia has its own currency. In terms of the real economy Russia can afford (in the technical sense) the resources to do this war for quite some time - but they probably logistically can't sustain the push they're doing now for a long time. That said with the way Putin is doing things internally in Russia, he could presumably convert to a "war economy" and just pour resources into the army. Russia can't match the tremendous spigot of arms and money flowing to Ukraine from the west though, and Ukraine is both huge and only slightly less than a third of Russia's population. When the populace is this united it's almost impossible to imagine a successful occupation that's not an enormous drain on your resources.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Bellingcat has to be referring to literal front line ammunition and supplies. That's unrelated from sanctions. So I guess no more arty shoot shoot and missiles from sunday on, because its simply not there in sufficient quantities.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Gros Tarla posted:

Time for the evil western warmongers to carve up that sweet sweet lebensraum

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Desumaytah posted:

I'll believe this only after it happens. I want Ukraine to win and yeah they've been kicking rear end and the Russian army is making GBS threads razors in bed but I'd sooner expect NATO to send Zelensky a loving Mechagodzilla.

And here I thought I could never become a saber rattling warhawk.

Don't tempt me with a good time, dude.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Charlotte Hornets posted:

:nms: https://news.sky.com/story/sky-news-teams-harrowing-account-of-their-violent-ambush-in-ukraine-this-week-12557585

Sky News reporters drive into Bucha near the frontlines NW of Kyiv. Get ambushed in their car, chaotic scenes on the video. Camera operator takes 2 bullets but is unscathed due to body armor. Get out of car into safety.

Holy smokes, this was tense.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1499844253786288133

I don't want to restart NFZ chat but the poll gives you a sense of where the American public is at (it almost certainly shows that many Americans probably don't understand the implications of a NFZ).

Years of Bush and Clinton treating no-fly zones as a quick fix salve for all our problems have broken the collective brains of the average American. People somehow believe that they are peacefully imposed and maintained.

Shooting down planes is an act of war you idiots!!!!!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I find it hard to believe that the Russian army would collapse like that. Certainly not as a result of sanctions – those will play havoc with their economy, but that mainly affects their eternal trade relations and access to spare parts. Soldiers will get paid in their own currency, tough poo poo if they can't buy anything with it.

Similarly, a collapse starting Sunday is ridiculous. They pre-staged a ton of supplies (see convoy).

I'd take that news with a bucket of salt tbh.

(That said, this armchair general wonders if the phenomenon in HOI4 where front lines can hold quite long and taking out supplies doesn't seem to have an immediate effect, until suddenly positions collapse rapidly, is accurate to real life)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

What's the scuttlebutt on that? I feel like that whole dialogue just disappeared from the media radar given Biden's other problems so I figured nothing good was happening.

It’s going well apparently. Biden seems to realize letting the moment by moment reporting often blows up in your face like with BBB.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

jaete posted:

I think the Russian connection thing in fact goes back in history much further, further even than the fall of the Soviet Union. I read somewhere that in the 1950s when the cold war was getting started, USA and USSR both decided to forbid directly doing business with one another. But because rich people wanted to do business anyway, in some way, London UK became the place for that. Hence the historically very large banking sector of the UK, which is still over-large w.r.t. rest of the UK economy, and Russian influence

This went both ways. IIRC the titanium for the SR-71 was purchased from the USSR through a kerjillion shell companies. The Russians didnt know until after the Cold War

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Eric Cantonese posted:

35% contraction is believable for me simply because gas and oil have become untouchable despite being unsanctioned and russia's central bank sure is making moves based on existential threat to an economy (stock market closed indefinitely! We can shut down banks at any time!) i do not believe russia is 3 days away from defeat.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Currently on a plane from Moscow to Cairo. Flight was supposed to be direct, but right before departure the airspace near Rostov was closed completely. We got rerouted to Минеральные воды and the plane is refueling there.

They say we'll be on our way to Cairo in an hour, currently just chilling on the airfield. Check out this nutty route:

For what it's worth, the situation at Шереметьево airport was pretty relaxed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vampire Panties posted:

This went both ways. IIRC the titanium for the SR-71 was purchased from the USSR through a kerjillion shell companies. The Russians didnt know until after the Cold War

That is correct, we sourced Titanium from Russia through shell companies.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Any indications what that would mean, outside of the nebulous 'higher prices?' Are there any US industries dependent on a specific oil product produced by Russia?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

If a termite mound is injured, the termites can build back. But if a country falls, how can it rebuild with scant resources? We're McKinsey & Co. We can show you how.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TheRat posted:

Looks like the Russians released a few propaganda videos of their own today:

I didn't see any gore but I'm gonna spoiler it for some very very toasty Ukrainian armour and blown out residental areas:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1499794198328922114

Can we get a ban on posting Russian propaganda? I get that most of the content here is Ukrainian propaganda but there's a difference between propaganda that consists of factual reporting confirmed by outside sources vs the propaganda of an aggressive invader

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

HappyHippo posted:

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1499844253786288133

I don't want to restart NFZ chat but the poll gives you a sense of where the American public is at (it almost certainly shows that many Americans probably don't understand the implications of a NFZ).

the first one is loving crazy when you consider that gas is already at $4 a gallon. i never thought i'd live to see americans willing to sacrifice high gas prices for a country we can't find on a map.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

PharmerBoy posted:

Any indications what that would mean, outside of the nebulous 'higher prices?' Are there any US industries dependent on a specific oil product produced by Russia?

We only get 3% of our oil from Russia so not really. The biggest issue is going to be price speculators driving the price higher by absurd amounts, not the actual availability of oil.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

the popes toes posted:

If a termite mound is injured, the termites can build back. But if a country falls, how can it rebuild with scant resources? We're McKinsey & Co. We can show you how.

A map of Ukraine's natural resources spontaneously materialises in mayor Pete's office

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the first one is loving crazy when you consider that gas is already at $4 a gallon. i never thought i'd live to see americans willing to sacrifice high gas prices for a country we can't find on a map.

They won't. They want it without any coconsequences

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PharmerBoy posted:

I don’t believe so.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

35% contraction is believable for me simply because gas and oil have become untouchable despite being unsanctioned and russia's central bank sure is making moves based on existential threat to an economy (stock market closed indefinitely! We can shut down banks at any time!) i do not believe russia is 3 days away from defeat.

Idk if it’s 3 days. But shits not going well for Russia and as of today, I’d rather be in Ukrainian side then Russia.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

PharmerBoy posted:

Oil is the mother of all fungible commodities, which is both fortunate and unfortunate in this situation. Fortunate in that it means that it's very unlikely there's a super-specific byproduct you can only source from a manufacturer in Russia. Unfortunately it means the energy price hit will be global, and a supply shock of this size will both be inflationary and affect a large range of things (because oil prices affect so much production and transportation). With Russia and Ukraine being a major exporter of grain you'd expect a serious supply shock to both oil and food prices, which historically isn't great for the political stability of developing countries.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Russian oil is something like 3% of US oil imports, cutting that off would barely even be a blip compared to the other economic chaos that's happening right now.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Bellingcat says that Russia only has enough resources to wage the war until this coming Sunday...
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1499807262084325379?s=20&t=GDdKLs_u4JaA3p5E4WZ9_Q

People seems to agree that Russia can't keep this up for months, let alone years, with the kinds of losses they are taking, they likely wouldn't be bringing in what looks to be old, run down hardware on a slow train from the far eastern shores if they weren't feeling some pain, but for a country of that size to run dry in less than two weeks seems absurdly optimistic.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 4, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s because Putin is an outside threat and Ukraine is the plucky little power fighting off the big monster. Etc.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

Supposedly an agreement is "close" with a few sticking points. Some envoys believe it could happen next week. American and Iranian diplomats are more guarded and emphasize that talks could still fail, but that's probably posturing to each other. Israel is mad, naturally, but nobody's paying attention to them right now for obvious reasons. I imagine that will change once it happens and Fox News gets going on it.

https://www.reuters.com/world/we-are-close-uk-envoy-iran-nuclear-talks-says-europeans-fly-home-2022-03-04/

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Russian oil is something like 3% of US oil imports, cutting that off would barely even be a blip compared to the other economic chaos that's happening right now.

Oil prices are global though (though not identical due to transportation costs, taxes etc), even a net exporter will face higher prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

They are not willing to sacrifice high gas prices, as soon as the prices rise everyone will start bitching

Anyways gas prices arent that bad. With inflation im pretty sure gas was actually a lot more expensive in the early 2010s