Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Young Freud posted:

It may very well be, but apparently Grozev confirmed it.

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1499872184382234636

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

mdemone posted:

No, that part just got confirmed this afternoon by the White House.

Does someone have a link to this? Curious on the verbiage used and by whom. Reference to sharing air track data with Ukraine.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

KillHour posted:

Everyone I know who is in favor of a NFZ knows this means "go to war with Russia" and they don't care. Specifically, I also think we should stop all imports and exports of any kind to and from Russia, regardless of the cost to our economy. Furthermore, if that doesn't stop Russia from continuing to invade, I agree that the United States should go to war with Russia and blow any Russian planes and tanks in Ukraine to hell. So, I guess I agree with 3/4 of the American public on that one.

Russia has become the next Nazi Germany and if we don't bite the bullet now, it's going to be worse later.

I don't know about you but I don't like a best case scenario of living in a post nuclear fallout hellscape.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Russia is kind of losing in the sense that it's very clear now that whatever unrealistic goals Putin had in mind, apart from NATO membership, they can't achieve using the military. The truth is Putin doesn't actually need a full victory to show at home. His core electorate are fairly uninformed and blindly support him, no matter what. If on Monday all propagandists start saying that the war was really only about NATO, that's what they're going to accept, mission accomplished. The majority of Russians who don't support Putin are simply disenfranchised and nihilistic, so nobody cares what they think. And the opposition media are crushed, and Putin's politically active detractors won't even be able to effectively utilise his apparent failure.

Of course, it's just me hoping there's a possible offramp. Putin might as well nuke Poland tomorrow.

Putin doesn't have a core 'electorate', Russia isn't a democracy.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

Everyone I know who is in favor of a NFZ knows this means "go to war with Russia" and they don't care. Specifically, I also think we should stop all imports and exports of any kind to and from Russia, regardless of the cost to our economy. Furthermore, if that doesn't stop Russia from continuing to invade, I agree that the United States should go to war with Russia and blow any Russian planes and tanks in Ukraine to hell. So, I guess I agree with 3/4 of the American public on that one.

Russia has become the next Nazi Germany and if we don't bite the bullet now, it's going to be worse later.

Seriously.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Paladinus posted:

Russia is kind of losing in the sense that it's very clear now that whatever unrealistic goals Putin had in mind, apart from NATO membership, they can't achieve using the military. The truth is Putin doesn't actually need a full victory to show at home. His core electorate are fairly uninformed and blindly support him, no matter what. If on Monday all propagandists start saying that the war was really only about NATO, that's what they're going to accept, mission accomplished. The majority of Russians who don't support Putin are simply disenfranchised and nihilistic, so nobody cares what they think. And the opposition media are crushed, and Putin's politically active detractors won't even be able to effectively utilise his apparent failure.

Of course, it's just me hoping there's a possible offramp. Putin might as well nuke Poland tomorrow.

I like the first sentence because it sounds like Putin is doing all of this to impress NATO so they will finally let him join.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

I don't know about you but I don't like a best case scenario of living in a post nuclear fallout hellscape.

I genuinely don't believe that saying "Ukraine is on our side and if you keep your poo poo there we're going to blow it all up" is going to cause Putin to say "Well if I can't have Ukraine, I'm murder-suiciding the world." Maybe he will, but that's a hell of a leap.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
It seems like people ITT generally think Putin won't let Russia's borders change without deploying nukes, but I'm not sure why China wouldn't demand outer manchuria back if they're going to keep putting up with his bullshit.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Either he's saying that the Russians are using up their supplies and on Sunday they'll get resupplied in which case, no poo poo that's how supply lines work, or they won't get resupplied and it will be catastrophic.

You can't really downplay the implications of this without making the statement completely banal.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Putin possess a “core electorate” of people who will shoot others before they shoot him. He maintains this through a careful web of the three Ps: prison, propaganda, and poison.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://mobile.twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1499872184382234636 Apparently he was misquoted. This does sound more realistic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

Worse means nuclear Armageddon. You understand that, right?

Like you can go "I don't believe it" but that is the entire idea behind MAD and if you are wrong everyone dies.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 4, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Nexta has been just twisting words and posting trash unsourced takes a lot. And went completely wild on nuclear fear even after like two different Ukrainian officials and the IAEA said it was handled last night.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

They're certainly suffering a substantial degree of attrition in their armored ranks, which is verifiable in the actual footage we've seen. That's well, well removed from being two days from running out of things like gas and food and collapsing entirely. These forces have been doing exercises in the region for months, some for years, and they're only a few dozen miles from their home territory. Russia has vast stores of war material. The logistical buildup was done over many months as well. The notion that they're running out of basic supplies already is just not in line with reality.

yeah, i agree. it seems like there is a disconnect between what russia is actually strugging with (bring material to the front in a timely manner) and what people want (russia literally being unable to supply its army and forced to withdraw). the former is obviously fixable with time, the latter seems incredibly unrealistic to me. this is a country that lost 9-12 million soldiers in world war 2, that is 20% of the world's arms market, that has one of the largest refining capacities in the world. they have a shitload of guns, bullets, and tanks. i think again it is not a question of whether russia can win the war - it clearly can, it's a much bigger country - but whether they are willing to pay the price needed to do so. obviously, when they gently caress up, that raises the price.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Chalks posted:

Either he's saying that the Russians are using up their supplies and on Sunday they'll get resupplied in which case, no poo poo that's how supply lines work, or they won't get resupplied and it will be catastrophic.

You can't really downplay the implications of this without making the statement completely banal.
It's the later. But people have been interpreting it a bit to impressive because they read it as "Also, there won't be any new supply lines regardless of logistics, because the supplies in Russia are used up."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Worse means nuclear Armageddon. You understand that, right?

This has been said before, but if Putin says "Let us have Ukraine or we use nukes" and gets it, he's going to keep doing the thing that worked. There are a lot of steps between shooting down airplanes and MAD.

Moreover, I'm not on board for letting a lunatic genocider hold the trolley problem over our heads as he ethnically cleanses Eastern Europe.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/iaponomarenko/status/1499795764897325057

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Nenonen posted:

But at that point his partner in crime had conquered France and now Germans told him that Finland was no longer in USSR's sphere. (DUN DUN DUUNN)

That actually didn't happen, the Germans fed a bunch of lies to Finnish foreign office, and we swallowed it, hook, line and sinker. Researchers now have access to the records about the meeting where the Germans claimed they had told Stalin via Molotov not to occupy Finland. In truth, the Soviets were protesting German troops movement through Finland to northern Norway in that meeting, there was no discussion about Soviets occupying Finland.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KillHour posted:

Russia is barely able to invade Ukraine, and is largely surrounded by NATO countries to its west. Invading those would trigger WWIII, and Russia would not win WWIII (but neither would we). So that's not going to happen. Comparing it to Nazi Germany is ridiculous.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chalks posted:

I definitely think it's the latter. They've been using up and losing supplies in Belarus and Rostov-On-Don at an incredible rate that they'll be exhausted in the immediate theater. They can get resupply from other regions, but it could take up to a week to get resupplied and I'm guessing that those units already in Ukraine can't exactly hold out for a week with low ammo, low fuel, and low food supplies. And the sanctions are going to make things harder, especially on the financial front.

We have to remember they were already having logistical issues waiting around in Belarus and Rostov, even before kicking off the special military operation.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

This has been said before, but if Putin says "Let us have Ukraine or we use nukes" and gets it, he's going to keep doing the thing that worked. There are a lot of steps between shooting down airplanes and MAD.

Moreover, I'm not on board for letting a lunatic genocider hold the trolley problem over our heads as he ethnically cleanses Eastern Europe.

There may be a lot of steps, but if NATO is at open war with Russia then they can be taken very, very quickly. No one intends to start a nuclear war, but rapid escalation can take things out of people's hands. Hell, it makes it way more likely that one will start by accident.

Also, what would a no-fly zone even do, really? We can't shoot down artillery shells and we can't stop their rockets and missiles. Their air power is not the main source of Ukraine's misery

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1499872184382234636 Apparently he was misquoted. This does sound more realistic.

This is still a complete disaster for the Russian army. If Ukraine Air Force is genuinely still functional in reserve, I would say there's a non-zero chance that Ukraine literally routes Russia back over the border. If it even lasts that long - if i were a Russian artillery crewman, looking at the dwindling stacks of supplies with no idea how or when they'll be renewed, knowing that there's effectively a death sentence on me from Ukraine special forces, I'd be thinking about running now

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Brave, the entire place could be shrapnel soon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

No there are not!! That is the point of Nukes. They are the great equalizer. If a war starts then nukes are going to come into play. The threat of Nukes is key.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

KillHour posted:

gambling that we can have a hot war without nukes is wildly irresponsible at best and suicidal at worst. a nfz isn't just shooting down planes, it's bombing anti-air defenses and dealing with attacks lobbed against your own air bases to stop you from doing more bombings.

the us strategy is to economically strangle russia while strengthening our alliances and maintaining the nuclear umbrella. in the long run, russia will lack the material to be a serious threat to the world. we can methodically win a struggle against them without shooting down their planes - after all, we did it already once before.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

This is still a complete disaster for the Russian army. If Ukraine Air Force is genuinely still functional in reserve, I would say there's a non-zero chance that Ukraine literally routes Russia back over the border. If it even lasts that long - if i were a Russian artillery crewman, looking at the dwindling stacks of supplies with no idea how or when they'll be renewed, knowing that there's effectively a death sentence on me from Ukraine special forces, I'd be thinking about running now

We're seeing plenty of abandoned mobile launchers and SPAGs with loaded racks and ammo bins, so we know that they're already doing that.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

tractor fanatic posted:

Also, what would a no-fly zone even do, really? We can't shoot down artillery shells and we can't stop their rockets and missiles. Their air power is not the main source of Ukraine's misery

This - even if we interdicted the most stringent no-fly zone in the world, its not really going to mean anything against GRAD rocket artillery.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like it is absolutely unfathomable to me that you think Putin is crazy enough to go on an ethnic cleansing invasion of Europe and get into direct conflict with NATO but not crazy enough to kill himself and everyone else if he fails.

That is a *very specific* kind of crazy

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

This - even if we interdicted the most stringent no-fly zone in the world, its not really going to mean anything against GRAD rocket artillery.

It'd be a different story if the Ukrainian airforce had been knocked out but now a no fly zone would probably be a wash anyway.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
There seems to be this impression that Putin is running the whole show and the rest of the Kremlin is being subjugated by him somehow… How accurate is that? Surely one person can’t wield this much sway alone? In a week he has absolutely decimated Russia and now it will have to slide further into authoritarianism (at pace) to maintain the status quo. And everyone in Russia is powerless to stop him?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Do wars redraw alignments? Guess they do.

https://twitter.com/vtchakarova/status/1499799181631926272

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

35% contraction is believable for me simply because gas and oil have become untouchable despite being unsanctioned and russia's central bank sure is making moves based on existential threat to an economy (stock market closed indefinitely! We can shut down banks at any time!) i do not believe russia is 3 days away from defeat.

What i WOULD believe is that russia's immediately actionable logistical supply for the forces in Ukraine anywhere at or above an absolute redline level of being able to support forward holdings is three days away from collapse to under that redline.

So not "russia is 3 days away from defeat" but

"russia is 3 days away from being unable to replenish and sustain artillery operations in [verylargenumber]% of forward operations"

or

"russia is 3 days away from telling its front line to start 'locally sourcing' food supplies"

or

"russia is 3 days away from instructions to ration small arms ammunition"

all of which could turn into "russia is 3+x days away from having to demonstrate critical weakness" which could come in the form of substantive retreats, or withdrawal of specific operations which require specialized supply, or just in general anything that predates Ukranians being able to amass and silently stage a Tet Offensive style shock to current russian holdings.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

Russia is barely able to invade Ukraine, and is largely surrounded by NATO countries to its west. Invading those would trigger WWIII, and Russia would not win WWIII (but neither would we). So that's not going to happen. Comparing it to Nazi Germany is ridiculous.

I'm not saying they're as strong as Nazi Germany (although everyone thought they might be until they showed their entire rear end by being incompetent) but they sure as hell are going to cause a lot of pain and misery and the longer we let it go on, the more of a humanitarian crisis this is going to be.

tractor fanatic posted:

There may be a lot of steps, but if NATO is at open war with Russia then they can be taken very, very quickly. No one intends to start a nuclear war, but rapid escalation can take things out of people's hands. Hell, it makes it way more likely that one will start by accident.

What we can do is counter-battery the gently caress out of them and make it very clear they cannot win an inch of ground. I'm aware that we will incur losses but doing nothing is not an option I can live with.

Edit: Anyways my point isn't to get into a debate on whether we should (because I am outnumbered and will obviously lose and probably end up probed), but to clarify that when people say that they are in favor of a war, they know what that means. There's a specific kind of fallacy that people fall into where "a position I disagree with is popular" turns into "everyone else doesn't understand / is mislead / is stupid."

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 4, 2022

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

King Salman must have gotten covid

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Chalks posted:

It'd be a different story if the Ukrainian airforce had been knocked out but now a no fly zone would probably be a wash anyway.

And you have to take all these pesky things out

https://twitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1499831157503967235?cxt=HHwWhoCy4bifvNApAAAA

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

If I had a high chance of getting shelled by Russian artillery I'd probably want to do so wearing a cool pair of stolen Ray-Bans. Capitalism is a gently caress, no need to cry over spilt profits

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dog Friday posted:

There seems to be this impression that Putin is running the whole show and the rest of the Kremlin is being subjugated by him somehow… How accurate is that? Surely one person can’t wield this much sway alone? In a week he has absolutely decimated Russia and now it will have to slide further into authoritarianism (at pace) to maintain the status quo. And everyone in Russia is powerless to stop him?

I mean Donald loving Trump manages to convince an overwhelming number of people to support him unambiguously. Donald Trump. And he is an inept cartoon of a man in a country he had far less control over.

That is how dictators thrives. They surround themselves with the loyal and kill the disloyal. They control narrative and power to the point where going against them is suicide.

It isn't just Putin but him and those loyal to him, who hold thd majority of money, influence and power.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

This is probably just PR from someone who needs a new image. He also says that “I believe the Saudi media should criticize the government’s work, the government’s plans… because that’s healthy.” while literally chopping journalists up. Specifically there's been talking about sanctions towards him personally. He probably doesn't want to get caught up in the sanction-stuff going around, so he wants to appear to be a reformer.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KillHour posted:

I'm not saying they're as strong as Nazi Germany (although everyone thought they might be until they showed their entire rear end by being incompetent) but they sure as hell are going to cause a lot of pain and misery and the longer we let it go on, the more of a humanitarian crisis this is going to be.

Turning all of Europe into an exponentially worse humanitarian crisis isn't going to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

It's not looting, it's scavenging for supplies in an active warzone

Jesus