Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

That shot down Su34 was apparently carrying some gently caress off huge bombs
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1500076486086254595?t=s3Mt9ZdzLaIBQOV8p0F0lg&s=19
:stare:
Glad they didn't go off when the plane came down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Edit: wtf

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1500076486086254595?t=s3Mt9ZdzLaIBQOV8p0F0lg&s=19

why don't they make the whole plane out of the fragmentation bomb

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Does that make it 3 SU-34s shot down?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

KitConstantine posted:

They lost like US$150mil in aircraft in the last 24 hours. That seems like a lot.

edit - apparently those are fuel air bombs too

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

so on the whole, the chances of ukraine just holding out and beating back the invasion in the long run are still incredibly slim, right? i know nothing about military stuff except nukes

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

KitConstantine posted:

It was taken by the Russians and then taken back by the Ukrainans some time last night

In other news Putin looking in odd places for a sympathetic audience

Same, girl. Same.

video and some translation

https://twitter.com/mjluxmoore/status/1500100487445635072?s=20&t=8NYX8IWAMZnPJkitSslaug

https://twitter.com/mjluxmoore/status/1500101608306360322?s=20&t=8NYX8IWAMZnPJkitSslaug

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

gay picnic defence posted:

They lost like US$150mil in aircraft in the last 24 hours. That seems like a lot.

You could exchange that number with an infinite because they can't replace it. Ever. It's gone.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

edit - apparently those are fuel air bombs too

Remember Russians claiming air superiority like 5 days ago?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

KitConstantine posted:

That's a pretty standard size for air delivered munition, the US equivalent is Mk. 83 bomb and way bigger bombs also exist

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

so on the whole, the chances of ukraine just holding out and beating back the invasion in the long run are still incredibly slim, right? i know nothing about military stuff except nukes

The consensus appears to be moving to "if they can hold on for couple more weeks, Russians won't be able to go on"

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this

raverrn posted:

Hey, look how close his is to people. Wonder what changed?

To get that close to Putin you have to go through a 14 day quarantine first. Hence the long tables. This meetup was planned a long time ago.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Obfuscation posted:

That's a pretty standard size for air delivered munition, the US equivalent is Mk. 83 bomb and way bigger bombs also exist

Fair enough.

Summary of Putin's remarks today:
https://twitter.com/samagreene/status/1500104937224744961?t=9p0uP0ThgWvK_IL7HQq8Yg&s=19

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

That second to last bullet point... is he literally saying "let's decriminalize corruption"?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

lilljonas posted:

Just a guess, but Ukraine can’t answer the question of what actions will have what effects on the various sanctions that hit and are hitting Russia. Russia can talk to Ukraine about cease fires and peace talks, but not sanctions, as it’s not Ukraine deciding the sanctions.

Edit: afaik there’s not any official word from Nato or EU thay they will immediately end sanctions if peace is declared. Just that Russia will have to stop their aggressions for ending sanctions to be an option at all.

euro sanctions are both more severe and more directly affecting the russian economy given previous trade ties. if that were true we would see a simultaneous dispatchment to brussels, right?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

steinrokkan posted:

The consensus appears to be moving to "if they can hold on for couple more weeks, Russians won't be able to go on"

The next week is going to get into the grindy bits of the war. It seems like some fronts have been established, now they need to hold out.

Speaking of, have we seen anything to the Ukraine armored and mechanized units?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shibawanko posted:

The outcomes of wars aren’t always binary. The odds of decisive Ukrainian victory are low but there is gradients of loss. If invasion is too hard Russia might grab some land claims then pull out. Not a great outcome but things other than total loss could happen.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

How do you know how much of this can be believed if he's saying known falsehoods re the conscripts?

Shibawanko posted:

In the absence of the economic sanctions I'd say yes, however I think with the sanctions in place and potentially getting harsher there's definitely a limit to how long Russian can afford to stay in Ukraine before there's some serious instability in Russia that will need to be addressed.

I think they can potentially hold out in the north until the end of the mud season as it is playing havoc with Russian logistics and preventing their formations from maneuvering freely, concentrating them on roads where their numerical advantages are nullified somewhat.

It's more concerning in the south as the ground is firmer so Russia can more easily outflank defensive positions and destroy them. They also don't seem to be having the same logistical problems here, probably due to the lack of mud. Larger cities can potentially hold out for quite some time though so I'm not sure if we'll see any quick breakthroughs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Cages started popping up around the time russian concerns about the potential of drones kicked into high gear, too. so there's clearly a bunch of concern going around about top-down missiles whatever the source.

From photos it looks like Russians started having them last year, maybe taking lessons from the Artsakh conflict? At the beginning of this war I recall there were reports of them having weird extra long exhaust pipes in the rear which was thought to be meant to mess with Javelin's guidance system. I just don't think Javelin works that way, while it uses IR imaging it's not just a dumb heat seeker like Stinger, it uses pattern recognition algorithms to stay on target.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

the holy poopacy posted:

That second to last bullet point... is he literally saying "let's decriminalize corruption"?

As long as he gets a cut.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

KitConstantine posted:

Usually when people clap for an airplane landing the landing is smoother.

The way this war is going is crazy. I see myself hoping the ukrainians can actually do it, they might be able to hold the freaking Russian army.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Stereotyping air stewardesses as not being very intelligent is quite offensive Vlad :colbert:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Perestroika posted:

But aside from the simple material cost, it also comes with a very significant practical drawback: They give the tanks a much higher and distinctive profile, making them that much easier to spot from a distance.

on a modern battlefield covered in sensors, satellites, drones, etc. sticking some extra garbage on top of your vehicle doesn't do much to make it more visible

Trump posted:

Didn't the US Army have a lot of trouble with unarmored Humvees, forcing the troops to strap all kinds of poo poo on their vehicles until proper kits arrived/they got MRAPs?

yes, soldiers the world over have a long history of tacking extra bullshit onto their vehicles for a slight chance at making it more resistant to enemy shells. a 0.5% increase in armor doesn't sound like much unless it's your rear end in that seat!

here are some american tankers from ww2 just slapping concrete on the front of their tank in an attempt to defeat anti-tank rounds. does it help? no. does it make the guys inside feel a little better? yeah

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
:nms:
:nws:

Ukranian media agency Strana.ua showed photo of killed Denis Kireev, Ukranian representative on peace talks. Previously it was reported that he was arrested by SBU and accused of treason, but this information is still not confirmed.
:nms:

Do not click the link if you want to see his dead body (actually it's the 2nd photo, first link goes to one of him at the negotiations).

Note for future movie: The only guy on the Ukrainian side who wore the suit, was the traitor.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

KitConstantine posted:

It was taken by the Russians and then taken back by the Ukrainans some time last night

In other news Putin looking in odd places for a sympathetic audience
https://twitter.com/Reevellp/status/1500095341600849924?t=GSk5hVR7ThyTi3nukFYuJg&s=19

Same, girl. Same.

This is probably related to it being the 8th of march on tuesday. Putin supposedly repeatedly said during this interview that they're almost done with destroying all the military infrastructure in Ukraine to demilitarize it. Seems a little risky to set expectations for this to be over soon.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Trump posted:

Didn't the US Army have a lot of trouble with unarmored Humvees, forcing the troops to strap all kinds of poo poo on their vehicles until proper kits arrived/they got MRAPs?

“You go to war with the army you have” - Russian Army proverb. Probably.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

evilweasel posted:

Not Russia’s most embarrassing airborne defeat today:

https://twitter.com/tsybulskaliubov/status/1500075457798189057?s=21

Germany should send more cucumber jars.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

KingColliwog posted:

Usually when people clap for an airplane landing the landing is smoother.

The way this war is going is crazy. I see myself hoping the ukrainians can actually do it, they might be able to hold the freaking Russian army.

Don't get too enthusiastic. You are seeing what the Ukrainians want you to see and are getting a skewed view of the war. The Russians still are advancing and they have a lot of assets still left in Russia.

However, if the Ukrainians can hold out for another two weeks or so then they might have an actual shot, as the Russians would have burned through most of their war materials and their economy is going to poo poo the bed.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

here are some american tankers from ww2 just slapping concrete on the front of their tank in an attempt to defeat anti-tank rounds. does it help? no. does it make the guys inside feel a little better? yeah

Zimmerit cosplay?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's got to have been more than a few people in Ukrainian institutions who were sypathetic/cosy with Russia in anticipation of being rewarded when the time came and those guys have got to be sweating bullets right now.

Dante posted:

This is probably related to it being the 8th of march on tuesday. Putin supposedly repeatedly said during this interview that they're almost done with destroying all the military infrastructure in Ukraine to demilitarize it. Seems a little risky to set expectations for this to be over soon.

One hilarious outcome would be for Putin to just declare 'mission accomplished' and withdraw. Nobody in Russia is going to openly contradict that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Alchenar posted:

One hilarious outcome would be for Putin to just declare 'mission accomplished' and withdraw. Nobody in Russia is going to openly contradict that.

"Not all of our armed forces will be returning. Some of our armed forces will be remaining in the independent regions of Donetsk and Luhansk to enforce order."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seems Russia is losing a fair number of aircraft today

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Cimber posted:

Don't get too enthusiastic. You are seeing what the Ukrainians want you to see and are getting a skewed view of the war. The Russians still are advancing and they have a lot of assets still left in Russia.

However, if the Ukrainians can hold out for another two weeks or so then they might have an actual shot, as the Russians would have burned through most of their war materials and their economy is going to poo poo the bed.

I'm not really, it's just starting to become a possibility in my mind. Actual hope. You would have told me that the Ukrainians would do that well on the first day of the war and I would have dismissed it completely.

I can' t even begin to imagine how this feels for the people fighting on the ground. I'm sure plenty of soldiers thought there was little to no hope when this began. With all the horrors and suffering that the Ukrainians are going through, I hope they manage to get out of that as a free united country at least, so they can build a brighter future.

Can't remember the last time I looked at a conflict and it was cartoon level of good VS evil.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 5, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Think they lost quite a few yesterday as well.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Alchenar posted:

There's got to have been more than a few people in Ukrainian institutions who were sypathetic/cosy with Russia in anticipation of being rewarded when the time came and those guys have got to be sweating bullets right now.

If he does, say, retreat to pre-way borders, I would expect the EU/NATO to flood the country with more military equipment & civilian aid, while still keeping the sanctions against Russia up. He'd never be able to set another foot into Ukraine again, NATO would be right on his borders, and his economy would be in tatters. Massive, massive loss for him.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

So to translate this:

1) we are planning to introduce martial law after some obviously false flag operation very soon
2) Russia has not destroyed any significant part of Ukraine's military equipment and we are annoyed by it
3) We have sent many conscripted people to battle. Some we just forced to sign in first
4) If there is foreign planes around we will nuke everyone
5) There is no proof of Ukrainians forcing anyone to fight, instead they seem to be very eager to defend their country. This was also surprising for me
6) We support in state level a lot of nazi organisations and will continue to do so
7 ) The decision to attack was easy as we were drunk af
8) we intend to introduce command war economy to Russia
9) all use of foreign currency will be met bit 9mm in the head
10) we intend to leave pensioners to die from hunger

I guess only 4 needed no translation from Putin-speak to normal

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

euro sanctions are both more severe and more directly affecting the russian economy given previous trade ties. if that were true we would see a simultaneous dispatchment to brussels, right?

I suspect that the Russians assume that Brussels (both EU and NATO) are just doing what Washington tells them. It would be like to them if we sent a delegation to talk to Minsk - a waste of time because Luka doesn’t decide poo poo.

It’s probably also not accurate, certainly not for the EU decision making at least.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Rinkles posted:

Russian General: Somethings wrong with our bloody aircraft today.

My guess: It took this long for the first load of Stingers to be deployed.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ukraine has had 8 years of training and planning for this. They knew full well the Donbas conflict was just the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

evilweasel posted:

Not Russia’s most embarrassing airborne defeat today:

https://twitter.com/tsybulskaliubov/status/1500075457798189057?s=21

That woman would make an incredible pitcher