Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

At least the comments are calling him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Liberal Pravda going to be doing overtime these next few months to create spin for the new Sleepy Joe junk science policy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
More YLE

quote:

The VE against hospitalization for 5-11 year olds (48%) looks scary in this study. But, these events were really rare (only 35 total hospitalizations among vaccinated 5-11 year olds). Because of this, the study has statistically low confidence that 48% is the “true” VE. In fact, the study showed that the “true” number lands somewhere between 0 and 75%. So, we need much more data to confidently assess the presence (or absence) of waning against hospitalizations.

Uhhh I’m not sure you want to suggest to your readers that actually everything is cool because the ninety‐five‐percent confidence interval includes seventy‐five percent efficacy.

It also includes zero, and even seventy‐five ain’t great.

quote:

There were a lot of numbers in this report, so I put together the figures below to help sort out the story. The first figure displays VE against ED and UC visits:
  • Delta: VE was very high but slightly decreased over time
  • Omicron: VE was suboptimal and significantly decreased over time

Point of order: anything less than VE of one is suboptimal. It is optimal that no children should be hospitalized of or with COVID.

quote:

For 5-11 year olds, this story is a bit muddled because hospitalizations are rare (which is good news) and we are at the mercy of time to see waning. More data is greatly needed, but for now it looks like VE against hospitalization is holding up.

You just printed the numbers, graphed them, even, and I would not characterize the picture they paint as “holding up”.

The headings on this chart are a case study in how not to frame public communication.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Super excited to wear an N95 as I carry my seven month old in to daycare on Monday where she will spend 8 hours surrounded by maskless staff members with maskless parents coming and going. I am really struggling with understanding what the point is to continue to keep her as safe as we can outside of daycare when due to the CDC having surrendered to COVID she’s gonna have a huge amount of exposure there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

At least the Sleepy Joe shift with libs confirms what we already know.

it was never about "believe science" but rather libs being their usual politics as team sports mindset with the mask wearing.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 360 days!
The cool thing about those apocalyptic HK numbers is that is a populace that is generally amenable to universal masking

Can't wait to see what BA.2 it looks like here with every safety measure removed :allears:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Normally I'm happy to sit back and cheer as the human race destroys itself but this is starting to feel uncomfortably like a Twilight Zone episode

or more accurately the movie, what with the senseless death that happened during filming

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
What is going on in HK?

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/05/asia/hong-kong-covid-crisis-intl-hnk-dst/index.html posted:

Hong Kong bet on zero-Covid. Now it's facing a 'preventable disaster'

Hong Kong (CNN)Morgues are nearly at capacity, hospitals overwhelmed and, as fears grow of a citywide lockdown, panicked shoppers have stripped supermarket shelves bare.
(..)
The city's leader Carrie Lam said the city is facing an "unprecedented challenge" and insists nobody could have predicted the latest wave. But according to Hong Kong University clinical virologist Siddharth Sridhar, the situation was a "predictable and preventable disaster."
(..)
At Queen Elizabeth, one of Hong Kong's largest hospitals, patients sit in a sparse, windowless observation room while they wait for a bed in an isolation ward. Two nurses, who asked not to be named because they fear repercussions for speaking out, told CNN last week the observation room smells of feces -- there are no restrooms, so patients are forced to use bedpans.

The nurses say staff shortages mean there's often a delay in checking on patients as more arrive for care, and there are too many people wanting treatment and not enough beds.
(..)
The hospital's morgue is overflowing and some bodies are being stored for hours at room temperature, according to one of the nurses.
(..)
"It's so packed and spread so thin for manpower, you have like one nurse seeing 20 patients," she said last week. "What we're seeing here is nothing I've ever seen before."
(..)
With a sharp increase in Covid-19 deaths due to the cold weather, the "storage space in hospital mortuaries has reached full capacity," the statement said.

In a briefing Tuesday, health officials said they are adding refrigerated containers and expediting the construction of a new mortuary to provide at least 800 extra units. To date, Hong Kong has recorded 1,554 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic, up from 213 at the end of December 2021.
(..)
"Our healthcare system is at the edge of collapse," the Hong Kong Doctors Union said in an open letter in February.
(..)
As of this week, 78% of the population -- excluding those aged 3 to 11 -- are double vaccinated, but just 48% of people aged 70 or older have received two doses. At the start of this year, just 25% of people age 80 or over had been vaccinated.
(..)
Dr. Ramanan Laxminarayan, the founder and director of the Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics and Policy, says Beijing believes its Covid policy is superior to other countries.

"It's the narrative that China will always be free of Covid that will be problematic for China going forward," he said. "A theory based on this idea that you can keep Covid out of your population forever just defies any sort of logic." [:rubby:]
(..)
Zeng Guang, chief epidemiologist at China's Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said this week that the zero-Covid policy won't remain unchanged forever -- but added there was "no need to open the door at the peak of the global epidemic."
(..)
For Hong Kong, there's an unprecedented health crisis ahead, and then little light at the end of the tunnel -- even if the city opens up, another wave is inevitable, said virologist Sridhar.

"We're just waiting for either the next wave or a shift in stance from the powers that be."
Answer:
1) China's COVID Zero policy
2) ?
3) Mass death in HK

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 360 days!

Pingui posted:

What is going on in HK?

Answer:
2) ?
3) Mass death in HK

this could never happen here

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

tenderjerk posted:

this could never happen here

If it did, no one could have predicted it.

Edit: This may seem like a minor point if you are dead. But it is actually very important to determine which set of PMC's get to sit at the end of the table. If you think about it, careers ended by taking responsibility for inaction/actions is the true victims of COVID.

If that doesn't pull at your heart strings, check your privilege and be better.

Pingui fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 5, 2022

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

yeah seems like the only difference between hong kong now and new york during the first wave is that kushner did new york deliberately

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pingui posted:

What is going on in HK?

Answer:
2) ?
3) Mass death in HK

god I really should be numb to it by now but it's always so gross to see people take glee in covid zero policies running into problems

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Srice posted:

god I really should be numb to it by now but it's always so gross to see people take glee in covid zero policies running into problems

Everybody hates a winner.

Seriously. It's not just a glib throwaway line. People genuinely hate seeing other people win while they themselves are losing.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
For anyone getting their hopes up on Ocugen getting approval:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/04/world/fda-bharat-biotech-vaccine.html posted:

The F.D.A. rejects an India-made Covid vaccine for those under 18.

The American pharmaceutical company Ocugen said on Friday that the Food and Drug Administration had rejected its application seeking emergency authorization for an India-made Covid vaccine for those ages 2 to 18.

The vaccine, made by the Indian pharmaceutical company Bharat Biotech, has not yet been tested in the United States, nor has it been authorized for any age groups in the United States. It is not clear if the vaccine has a path forward with American regulators, when the country already has a surplus of authorized doses.

A clinical trial in India that enrolled those ages 2 to 18 found that two doses of the vaccine generated strong immune responses and did not cause serious side effects. Another large-scale clinical trial in adults in India found that the vaccine provided good protection against Covid, with very strong protection against severe disease. Both of those studies were conducted pre-Omicron, when earlier versions of the virus were circulating.

The vaccine is widely used in India. It has been authorized in about 20 countries as well as by the World Health Organization. Ocugen has a deal with Bharat to try to bring its vaccine to the U.S. market.

Pfizer makes the only Covid vaccine authorized in the United States for those ages 5 to 17. There are no vaccines currently authorized for younger children, but those ages 6 months through 4 years of age could become eligible for Pfizer’s vaccine as soon as next month.

Representatives of the F.D.A. did not immediately return a request for comment on Friday. The agency generally declines to comment on medical products it has declined to authorize.

Ken Inchausti, a spokesman for Ocugen, said the company is “disappointed” by the agency’s decision. The company said in a news release that it still wants to try to find a path forward for the vaccine to be made available for 2- to 18-year-olds in the United States. Ocugen’s stock fell 23 percent on Friday.

Ocugen is continuing to seek full approval for the vaccine in the United States. The company has said it plans to soon start enrolling adult volunteers in the United States for a clinical trial that will evaluate the immune response generated by the vaccine.
:theroni:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

“You know those people who walk around wearing gear that protects them from a thing that killed two thousand Americans today, acting like they know something you don’t? I’m trying to figure out why they’re so hosed up and awful.”

The run up to the end of the totally unenforced mask mandates around here is weird. I guess ours was tied to hospital capacity, so what’s actually being celebrated here is the fact that there might be a hospital bed for you once you’re hospitalized, so long as you beat the rush. It feels more like a new iphone release date when you hear people talk about it, though, a big exciting event that will allow you to do exactly what you were already doing but slightly faster.

The main big point I’ve seen has been “well cloth masks don’t actually do anything and that’s what people wear so mask mandates are stupid,” which is a masterclass in motivated reasoning. All of a great sudden, the liberals are admitting that n95s are the bare minimum, but they say the guy next to them won’t wear one, so logically nobody should have to wear anything. You can wear a mask if you want, of course, until a few more op eds from npr and the atlantic about how masks are destroying society make the rounds, but a lot of them don’t know that they’re going to think that yet, and the ones that do are being pretty quiet so far.

The other big one has been “lol it’s so stupid that we have to wear a mask for a few seconds while we walk into a bar or restaurant.” Yeah, that is stupid. It is stupid to walk into an enclosed space where dozens of other people are spraying virus everywhere with every single breath. It is infinitely more stupid to look at that situation and decide that the stupid part is the masks at the door, and cheer at their absence.

One of many frustrating things about covid is the way that bad ideas sort of accumulate and calcify, if that’s the word for it. One little drop of stupidity leaves a residue that other stupidity can pile up on, until we end up with these massive, immovable stalagmites of failure, monuments to our collective inability to loving think about anything. Restaurants and bars were closed, that was smart. Then the stupidity drip got in there and said we can’t pay people to not work and made it so they should be open, but safely, so space the tables out. Drip drip drip, they can’t make a profit at that capacity, let’s work toward letting them operate at full capacity. Drip drip drip, how does it make sense to have mask mandates in a setting where you have a hundred people maskless in a room? Drip drip drip, the waitresses that don’t wear masks now that they’re optional get better tips. Drip drip drip, only bandits wear masks, there oughta be a law.

I am going to cling to this new work from home job with a desperation and appreciation typically only found between shipwreck survivors and floating boat parts. I liked being a cook because I liked trying really hard to make excellent food that sustained whoever came into the restaurant. I don’t think I can want to do that in the same way now.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

Super excited to wear an N95 as I carry my seven month old in to daycare on Monday where she will spend 8 hours surrounded by maskless staff members with maskless parents coming and going. I am really struggling with understanding what the point is to continue to keep her as safe as we can outside of daycare when due to the CDC having surrendered to COVID she’s gonna have a huge amount of exposure there.

all mitigations reduce risk. full stop.

licking door knobs once a week is still better than licking door knobs 24/7

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

fosborb posted:

all mitigations reduce risk. full stop.

licking door knobs once a week is still better than licking door knobs 24/7

You'd think this would be a common place belief, because it's undeniably true, but talk to a significant number of Americans and they'll happily tell you that masks aren't 100% and are therefore a waste of time

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I think I see Ocugen's problem...

https://www.inquirer.com/health/expert-opinions/covid-19-pandemic-immunity-boosters-normal-20220304.html posted:

Getting back to normal life means understanding what COVID-19 immunity really is
Let’s learn to accept that the goal of COVID vaccines is to prevent severe and not mild illness, and stop talking about frequent boosting.
(..)
Paul A. Offit, M.D. is the director of the Vaccine Education Center at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, a professor of pediatrics at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, and a member of the FDA Vaccine Advisory Committee.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

has anyone checked the CDC's stance on licking doorknobs? asking for a friend

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Uhhh I’m not sure you want to suggest to your readers that actually everything is cool because the ninety‐five‐percent confidence interval includes seventy‐five percent efficacy.

Nononono, you're misinterpreting the statistics.

What they're saying is: "not many kids are hospitalized with covid, anyway, so gently caress the ones who are!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Paul A. Offit, M.D. is the director of the Vaccine Education Center

More like “Vaccine Re‐education Center”

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thoguh posted:

yup! poo poo sucks.

lotta giving up that will not change unless things get sharply worse. it's getting tough to ctrl+f "coronavirus" or "covid" on a lot of news sites, now. consent manufacturing is complete.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

For anyone getting their hopes up on Ocugen getting approval:

:theroni:

hahaha loving jesus gently caress

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

post COVID posted:

has anyone checked the CDC's stance on licking doorknobs? asking for a friend

they have a system based on the hospital overflow risk now

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

T-Paine posted:

You'd think this would be a common place belief, because it's undeniably true, but talk to a significant number of Americans and they'll happily tell you that masks aren't 100% and are therefore a waste of time

that’s how Americans treat every single issue because we are a society of coddled babies

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
report back from school. in the single day of masks optional,

the kindergarten class is about half masked and the teacher still wears her mask unless "we're all together on the carpet, then she takes off her mask so we can hear her" was that new today? "oh no, shes always taken off her mask so we can hear her. we once had snack time all together on the carpet too!"

the 4th grade class is down to 3 kids still wearing a mask, well, 2. "Blake took his mask off half way through the day." their teacher -- who hasn't made them wear a mask outdoors, in the gym, or anytime at their desk (using airplane rules) -- of course had no mask yesterday, didn't make anyone put their masks back on despite obvious parent intention, and, "are you suuuure your parents want you to keep wearing your mask?"

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There was a dashcam vid posted in CSPAM (forget which thread) not too long ago from Florida, dude gets mad about getting cut off so he takes his gun out of the center console (lol) and starts blasting through his own windshield and passenger window at the guy who cut him off.

Then he saved the video of himself being a loving menace because he thought it was exculpatory

there's some brain poo poo going around

A very intelligent person I know - Democrat all her life, made lots of money got COVID in 2020. Then she met Q, and then she ruined her life with a viral video of a psychotic break over masks. I’ve seen a lot of this on a lesser scale - but this is what I’m scared of. I’m already an ugly as gently caress goon, but if mind goes I’m useless.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Dustcat posted:

lmao

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

fosborb posted:

report back from school. in the single day of masks optional,

the kindergarten class is about half masked and the teacher still wears her mask unless "we're all together on the carpet, then she takes off her mask so we can hear her" was that new today? "oh no, shes always taken off her mask so we can hear her. we once had snack time all together on the carpet too!"

the 4th grade class is down to 3 kids still wearing a mask, well, 2. "Blake took his mask off half way through the day." their teacher -- who hasn't made them wear a mask outdoors, in the gym, or anytime at their desk (using airplane rules) -- of course had no mask yesterday, didn't make anyone put their masks back on despite obvious parent intention, and, "are you suuuure your parents want you to keep wearing your mask?"

This is sort of what I've been seeing in northeast ohio. I see more high school students in masks compared to younger kids.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
my kids were a few of the only kids who kept their masks on all day yesterday despite extreme social pressure, or are becoming practiced liars

either way, learning life-long lessons, exactly what school is for

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
It's hosed up that some of that social pressure is coming from teachers. Sorry.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

fosborb posted:

my kids were a few of the only kids who kept their masks on all day yesterday despite extreme social pressure, or are becoming practiced liars

either way, learning life-long lessons, exactly what school is for

A good lesson to learn early is that no one actually cares about you, especially when it costs someone who matters a dime

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

I think I see Ocugen's problem...
I haven’t been following him during the pandemic; thought he was one of the good ones?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

They aren’t at high risk anymore because the CDC said “high is low now” Rob

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Real Mean Queen posted:

One of many frustrating things about covid is the way that bad ideas sort of accumulate and calcify, if that’s the word for it. One little drop of stupidity leaves a residue that other stupidity can pile up on, until we end up with these massive, immovable stalagmites of failure, monuments to our collective inability to loving think about anything. Restaurants and bars were closed, that was smart. Then the stupidity drip got in there and said we can’t pay people to not work and made it so they should be open, but safely, so space the tables out. Drip drip drip, they can’t make a profit at that capacity, let’s work toward letting them operate at full capacity. Drip drip drip, how does it make sense to have mask mandates in a setting where you have a hundred people maskless in a room? Drip drip drip, the waitresses that don’t wear masks now that they’re optional get better tips. Drip drip drip, only bandits wear masks, there oughta be a law.

Whole post is good, and this is just spot on. I wish I had more to add other than "loving hell."

Grats on the WFH position and I hope it works out well for you.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Btw American media that has mentioned Shane Warne dying so far only mention a heart attack. Not a single mention of Covid yet today. Lol.

They did the same poo poo when Meat Loaf died.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dustcat posted:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1500119989084463106

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

being able to predict the future in the US is getting boring. so happy mask mandates are being dropped.