Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Also, I have finally read the Russian text for the alleged FSB analyst's leak. I must agree with Fatherboxx, this is either Pulitzer's Prize in military fanfic writing, or a legitimate account of the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

the popes toes posted:

This is odd? Earlier reports of aircraft give-aways were poo-poo'ed for various reasons. One was that it was a provocation too far. Perhaps it's just being bruited by the West as "look what we're thinking about doing, get your rear end to the table" kind of thing?

https://twitter.com/Dimi/status/1500243529792167936?cxt=HHwWgIC53dXi99EpAAAA

Could be the US struck a deal with Poland to trade F-16s for MiGs, and said "Don't worry, we'll handle the delivery." The US is probably a lot less worried about antagonizing Russia than Poland is right now.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Is that a TOW or something? It's the wrong flight profile for a Javelin.

Javelins get all the press, but Ukraine also has a domestic anti-tank system, the Skif. I assume this is it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

the popes toes posted:

This is odd? Earlier reports of aircraft give-aways were poo-poo'ed for various reasons. One was that it was a provocation too far. Perhaps it's just being bruited by the West as "look what we're thinking about doing, get your rear end to the table" kind of thing?

I think the calculus is changing considerably with this conflict. Where initially the west may have been intending to send some token aid, now it looks like there's a real prospect of Russian defeat. While there's some progress in the south there doesn't seem any realistic prospect of Kiev and other northern cities falling anytime soon.

Fighters probably made zero sense if it was looking like Russian bombers were ranging all over the country unchallenged and able to bomb any new planes on the ground, but now it looks like Ukraine can sustain air operations from the western part of the country for the foreseeable future so bolstering that would make sense.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Bremen posted:

The US is probably a lot less worried about antagonizing Russia than Poland is right now.
To be honest, I believe it is exactly the opposite. The US is being labeled the aggressor by Moscow. The US handing over materiel that significant would result in Moscow announcing that their objective analysis was correct. In effect, it would be a greater provocation were the US to provide airframes directly to Ukraine. Best left to Poland.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

the popes toes posted:

To be honest, I believe it is exactly the opposite. The US is being labeled the aggressor by Moscow. The US handing over materiel that significant would be result in Moscow announcing that their objective analysis was correct. In effect, it would be a greater provocation were the US to provide airframes directly to Ukraine. Best left to Poland.

Oh, I'm sure it would make Putin gnash his teeth far more. I just think the US is less worried about what he would do about it, both because of distance and being more dismissive of Russia as a threat (conventional or nuclear).

But yeah, starting to think Ukraine might actually win also probably has a lot to do with it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

the popes toes posted:

To be honest, I believe it is exactly the opposite. The US is being labeled the aggressor by Moscow. The US handing over materiel that significant would be result in Moscow announcing that their objective analysis was correct. In effect, it would be a greater provocation were the US to provide airframes directly to Ukraine. Best left to Poland.

The bigger issue is that Ukraine doesn't have any pilots that know how to fly American jets. They can fly a MiG-29, though, so swapping out with Poland is the only way to make it work.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s honestly beginning to look like Ukraine might be limiting flights to the east to minimize the chances of blue-on-blue via the seven gajillion MANPADS.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

MrYenko posted:

It’s honestly beginning to look like Ukraine might be limiting flights to the east to minimize the chances of blue-on-blue via the seven gajillion MANPADS.

Seems needs to make the MANPADS per capita wikipedia page

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Party like it's 1914 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Yser
Or 1574 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Leiden

Except the invading force is in even worse shape than those two battles because they're doing this in winter which has been a no-no since, like, Viking times. If the water won't hurt 'em the ice (too thin to carry a tank, but enough to break any speedy amphibious attack) sure will.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also, I have finally read the Russian text for the alleged FSB analyst's leak. I must agree with Fatherboxx, this is either Pulitzer's Prize in military fanfic writing, or a legitimate account of the situation.

So, unless I'm misudnerstanding... Analysts were asked to come up with an assessment of an invasion of Ukraine. Thinking this was one of those edge case things they painte a quick and dirty rosy picture so superiors wouldn't yell at them. But then those superiors went ahead and actually did it?

Of course that's probably way too simplistic and I might be misunderstanding things (should get to bed).

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Dante posted:

Seems needs to make the MANPADS per capita wikipedia page

Honey, I told you not to leave the MANPAD there. Put it in the barn. And store it on the side. You've already ruined one reticule. Kids, time for kasha!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Randarkman posted:

So, unless I'm misudnerstanding... Analysts were asked to come up with an assessment of an invasion of Ukraine. Thinking this was one of those edge case things they painte a quick and dirty rosy picture so superiors wouldn't yell at them. But then those superiors went ahead and actually did it?

Of course that's probably way too simplistic.

Yeah that seems like the deal. Nobody took this seriously so all the plans were half-assed and overly rosy because, wtf, who would possibly be dumb enough to order that

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah that seems like the deal. Nobody took this seriously so all the plans were half-assed and overly rosy because, wtf, who would possibly be dumb enough to order that

Was that assessment written before the incursion or after, as a criticism?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Bremen posted:

Could be the US struck a deal with Poland to trade F-16s for MiGs, and said "Don't worry, we'll handle the delivery." The US is probably a lot less worried about antagonizing Russia than Poland is right now.

The US doesn't act isolated in this, any act from the US will be perceived as an act by NATO.

Didn't the proposal fail because the aircraft would have been based in Poland? Maybe the situation changed and they can now safely operate from Ukraine air strips. Actually it wouldn't surprise me if they've spent the last couple of days preparing dirt strips in the western parts of the country for this specific purpose.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

the popes toes posted:

Honey, I told you not to leave the MANPAD there. Put it in the barn. And store it on the side. You've already ruined one reticule. Kids, time for kasha!

:911::ukraine:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Putin has a lot more non nuclear options for dealing with poland than the us. Its a lot less agressive to be scared about your neighbor than just being a belligerant superpower

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Poland has not been in the mood for twenty years, and they have been building up hard since the Crimean invasion. They have beefy brigades and have been heavily modernizing. France and Germany have been falling behind on their requirements for years and their brigades are in a pretty sad state. When it comes to numbers and organization, Poland has arguably the most respectable military in Europe at the moment, and they're modernizing at a pretty blistering rate. God help them, Romania really tries and puts up numbers but they're having understandable difficulties in modernizing.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

the popes toes posted:

So if Ukraine is going to be a repeat of Afghanistan, how long until the US invades it?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Poland has not been in the mood for twenty years, and they have been building up hard since the Crimean invasion. They have beefy brigades and have been heavily modernizing. France and Germany have been falling behind on their requirements for years and their brigades are in a pretty sad state. When it comes to numbers and organization, Poland has arguably the most respectable military in Europe at the moment, and they're modernizing at a pretty blistering rate. God help them, Romania really tries and puts up numbers but they're having understandable difficulties in modernizing.

I thought France had a pretty great military from what I've seen/read over the years. I have no real knowledge on the matter though, is my perception wrong?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KingColliwog posted:

I thought France had a pretty great military from what I've seen/read over the years. I have no real knowledge on the matter though, is my perception wrong?

Their military is decent, even during World War 2 it wasn't so much the military but High Command that was garbage. Rather ironic given what is going on right now with Russia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Of course that's probably way too simplistic and I might be misunderstanding things (should get to bed).

It was more like analysts being asked to write up an assessment of a regime change without invading, with a few contingency best case scenario things like “our troops capture Ukrainian government people and facilities in Kyiv in 1-3 days and get them to enact a reform”. Which they did with all the poo poo like “200 VDV troopers could land in the Independence Square and walk into president’s administration”, to avoid superiors going ballistic on them over troops being lovely or analysts not being able to figure things out, etcetera.

It’s a very stereotypical display of the locally common “if you’re the boss, I’m the fool, but if I’m the boss, you’re the fool” business axiom.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

God help them, Romania really tries and puts up numbers but they're having understandable difficulties in modernizing.
The fact Romania lost a MiG-21 the other day really shocked me - more for the fact that anyone in Europe was still flying them.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

KingColliwog posted:

It is large, well equipped and has nukes. No one really knows (case and point: Russia), but they seem to be the class of the EU.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the popes toes posted:

Was that assessment written before the incursion or after, as a criticism?

Before, that assessment was a feasibility “study”.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

From what I understand they are pretty good, and more importantly have got loads of combat experience from various operations in Africa.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

KingColliwog posted:

They've gotten much better in recent years, but they were falling into disrepair after the Soviet breakup where they agreed to split their required brigade numbers with Germany. They weren't even meeting their required # of brigades then, and what few they had were pretty underequipped and mostly motorized (as opposed to mechanized).

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Before, that assessment was a feasibility “study”.

From the forceful language, it sounded as if the author was told "we're probably going to do this" rather than "just for a study, do this".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
"rozjebane ruskie gowno"
https://streamable.com/syn7s6

bunch of destroyed vehicles from a Russian column

:nms: dead Russian soldier at the end

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the popes toes posted:

From the forceful language, it sounded as if the author was told "we're probably going to do this" rather than "just for a study, do this".

No, it doesn’t read like that at all in Russian.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, it doesn’t read like that at all in Russian.

That's good to know, thanks.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

So it's the opposite of the preparation for the war with Finland (generals thinking it will be s disaster, Stalin optimistic) but with the same result

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deuzVsKMsTA

its russo japanese war all over again. holy gently caress.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This is well made, I'm presuming pre war? Or is it in the last week?

https://twitter.com/michaelidov/status/1500268356699504640?s=20&t=aUYnLBnOsoXLoXUhUhjWhw

In other questions, why is no one on either side getting some paint and bushes and using camouflage? I've seen some Russian tanks with a pathetic amount of white stripe over them, but the Ukrainian's are doing it either. As a wargamer, I am disappointed there's no cool paint jobs or even trying to cover up tanks or helmets with vegetation.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
At least the PLA knows it sucks

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Rinkles posted:

"rozjebane ruskie gowno"
https://streamable.com/syn7s6

bunch of destroyed vehicles from a Russian column

:nms: dead Russian soldier at the end

That's a lot of wrecked poo poo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Comstar posted:

This is well made, I'm presuming pre war? Or is it in the last week?

https://twitter.com/michaelidov/status/1500268356699504640?s=20&t=aUYnLBnOsoXLoXUhUhjWhw

Iirc, that's from around 2014, the last time Russia invaded them.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Shibawanko posted:

is it likely that the war will accelerate the move away from fossil fuels?

Sadly the result of an fossil fuel shortage isn't going to be shifting to renewables, it's going to be allowing drilling in protected areas, countries loosening restrictions on fracking and rubber stamping new pipelines.

If Oil and Gas becomes really expensive, that's just an incentive to drill for more not less.

It might at least get some countries to start thinking about finally building some Nuclear plants instead of loving about being scared of it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

That's a lot of wrecked poo poo.

The guy giving the tour says he's 50% Ukrainian, 25% Polish, 25% Jewish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Are they shelling the Russians with their own captured artillery?

Because if so :lol: