Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Bremen posted:

I gave this a shot and it was decent? I mean it's not going to be declared a masterpiece, but for a web serial I had no issues with it. It's a VRMMO story about a murder victim stuck in a game while her body is technically alive on life support that just doesn't use litrpg stats but has spatial storage items and there's nothing really wrong with that.

OTOH why the author thought it was fun to give us thousands of words about the MC going stall to stall in a market buying basic equipment for an alchemy lab I have no idea, but they seem to have gotten better and learned they can skip over the boring parts later.

I don't know if I'll continue now that I'm caught up but it was a decent enough way to pass the time.

Yeah it's just decent at most? I only wrote as much as I did because I thought that person's reasons for dismissing the story were silly, this story definitely isn't on my list of favorite stories. But I don't regret reading it because it had interesting ideas like varying signifiers of power being used instead of a numeric display of how many levels the person has. For example, auras for humans, rune tattoos for I forgot who, and number of tails for kitsune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ar'Kendrithyst Patreon: The Darkness is getting more and more sane, and also way more scary.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Yeah it's just decent at most? I only wrote as much as I did because I thought that person's reasons for dismissing the story were silly, this story definitely isn't on my list of favorite stories. But I don't regret reading it because it had interesting ideas like varying signifiers of power being used instead of a numeric display of how many levels the person has. For example, auras for humans, rune tattoos for I forgot who, and number of tails for kitsune.

That part makes a lot of sense to me. Having actually played a VRMMO, replacing as much of the traditional interface with real (or rather digital) signifiers is a very good thing, because text interfaces don't work so great in VR and take you out of the experience. For example in the game I played a paladin could call lightning bolts by holding their hammer over their head, and making potions involved having a cauldron change colors as you altered the temperature and throwing ingredients in at the right colors.

The actually details like the economics in the game didn't really make any sense, and of course the tech was basically magic, but some of the details about what a "less gamified" VRMMO would be like seemed reasonable enough.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pirateaba commissioned a piece of artwork of the Beware of Chicken cast visiting the wandering inn and its exactly as great as that sounds.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lol yeah it rules

though in my head I think imagine Chunky as the size of a small car

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think he can change size? Otherwise how he'd fit inside the house most of the time?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Lone Goat posted:

lol yeah it rules

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Megazver posted:

I think he can change size? Otherwise how he'd fit inside the house most of the time?

Doesn't a stream run through the house too? I thought that's how Washi can do the dishes, being a fish and all.

They live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, square footage doesn't seem like a problem.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Chunky can change size yes although mostly that seems to be in the range between large for a boar to large for a bus

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Doesn't a stream run through the house too? I thought that's how Washi can do the dishes, being a fish and all.

They live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, square footage doesn't seem like a problem.

I mean, yes, you can build a house that has rooms the size of a concert hall.

It would just kinda suck to live in.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sad about PracGuide ending, but it was good. Very indulgent, but in a way that felt earned. I did kind of lol at it basically giving Catherine All The Ships. I'm not sure how I felt about the Cordelia one. I think Cat has more chemistry with Cordelia than literally anyone else (in a way that could go either way), but it didn't seem to fit well with existing alongside the Akua romance (Indrani thing is easier to overlook since it's basically just a "friends with benefits" situation). If it was something more built-up over the course of the series I probably would have liked it more (since as mentioned I feel like Cordelia was the best potential romance).

Speaking of which, I feel kind of bad for Cordelia with Catherine leaving at the end, since it seems like Cordelia was the closest thing Catherine ended up having to an actual spouse?

I liked Hanno marrying the Praesi Lady. Wish I could know the full story of that (aside from the Lady in question proposing to him after he saved her). And Hanno's kid being in Masego's class. Also extremely indulgent, but I don't mind. Hanno dying was somehow sad even though it was just a blurb in the epilogue.

One other minor thing is that I'm wondering how in the hell Catherine beat Hye in a 1v1 duel. I guess Hye not having her Name means she wouldn't have her "adapt to anything" aspects anymore (since that seemingly saved her in many different fights against Named, like the one we see her do against some Revanants in an earlier Interlude).

I'm looking forward to EE's next series (Pale Lights). I'm sure it will also be good.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Catdelia was built up by the fact that the 2 of them could never meet without one of them giving a 200 word essay on how the other totally isn't attractive but... followed by another 500 words about their personality. Not to mention the way Cordelia immediately started worming her way into Cat's friend group the moment it was politically feasible, culminating in Akua getting all territorial in Serolen. The two of them then being so useless as to not admit to being in a relationship til literal decades after effectively getting married is kinda sad but very, very them.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 1, 2022

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Hye loses because the narrative is that she's part of the Age of Wonders and that has passed. She narratively can't win against the Warden of the Age of Order. It's a little hand wavy, but so are a lot of the story deaths in Prac Guide.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

asur posted:

Hye loses because the narrative is that she's part of the Age of Wonders and that has passed. She narratively can't win against the Warden of the Age of Order. It's a little hand wavy, but so are a lot of the story deaths in Prac Guide.

Yeah it's like Cat says. The end was never in question, and Hye probably knows it. She's been surpassed and the only person she ever really loved is dead anyway. Might as well go out on your own terms instead of dodging the Emerald Swords forever.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I love TUTBAD. I love the Luggage. Also shame on Alfric, doubting Mizuki's description. She was the one who saw it, she would hardly lie about something like that.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I love TUTBAD. I love the Luggage. Also shame on Alfric, doubting Mizuki's description. She was the one who saw it, she would hardly lie about something like that.

Discworld reference. Also, Mizuki literally going full Beavis and Butthead about fire was hilarious.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 1, 2022

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I missed that first one.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Wonder what the creepy Crawly was?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

asur posted:

No, I get that and why there'd be a ton of narrative weight on Cat's side. I just want to know the details, since I don't know if we've ever seen post-Night Catherine doing 1v1 fights against very strong "duelist" types.

It's often interesting seeing exactly how a story-guaranteed outcome comes about.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Ytlaya posted:

No, I get that and why there'd be a ton of narrative weight on Cat's side. I just want to know the details, since I don't know if we've ever seen post-Night Catherine doing 1v1 fights against very strong "duelist" types.

It's often interesting seeing exactly how a story-guaranteed outcome comes about.

I think one of the most weirdly satisfying things about the final chapter was that it didn’t feel the need to give any details about anything that happened. In a story about the structure of stories, the epilogue was simply the events that followed the conclusion. The sun set upon the Age of Wonders, the Age of Order rose from its shadow, and whatever comes next is a tale for another time.

“But how did Catherine defeat Hye Su?” is a question asked to your grandfather as he tucks you into bed, turning out the lights with a knowing smile. “Maybe tomorrow,” he might say. “Maybe tomorrow.”

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

blastron posted:

I think one of the most weirdly satisfying things about the final chapter was that it didn’t feel the need to give any details about anything that happened. In a story about the structure of stories, the epilogue was simply the events that followed the conclusion. The sun set upon the Age of Wonders, the Age of Order rose from its shadow, and whatever comes next is a tale for another time.

“But how did Catherine defeat Hye Su?” is a question asked to your grandfather as he tucks you into bed, turning out the lights with a knowing smile. “Maybe tomorrow,” he might say. “Maybe tomorrow.”

No, I agree that this is best and that it would have been really dumb to have a serious fight scene in the final epilogue chapter.

I still wanna know tho

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

“We need to figure out how to get the chest to stop following us,” said Isra. It was sitting in the doorway of the dining room. It was, thankfully, party bound, but it was going to be a troublesome thing, because what they would ideally have liked would have been to have it follow instructions and sit in a corner of the house when it wasn’t in use.

I'm sorry, Isra, but that's not how it works.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I only just now realized that the horrifyingly smutty Everybody Loves Large Chests is probably fanfiction of Terry Pratchett's Luggage.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
In case anyone is interested, EE did a Reddit AMA on PGTE and the questions and answers were collected here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BOdiwYai__8j2dnk-rX2qn4aTNLINwzx5rYBJoEeOrg/edit

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
EE is right; Princes’ Graveyard is definitely the best arc.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I just read the entirety of Worm in 3 days and i think i may have burned out my retinas in the process. It's just so long.

And yet the first real thought I have about it is that some parts of it could have used some fleshing out or more time to breathe.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 6, 2022

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

I just read the entirety of Worm in 3 days and i think i may have burned out my retinas in the process. It's just so long.

And yet the first real thought I have about it is that some parts of it could have used some fleshing out or more time to breathe.

Yikes! I read it over a couple of weeks while alone over a winter break, basically 13 hours a day. You read faster than i did.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

Yeah it really would have served better as half a dozen or so much more fleshed out novels that functioned well on their own along the lines of ASOIAF or Harry Potter or whatever. As one giant whole it is both too much and not enough.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

cock hero flux posted:

Did you even sleep? I took at least a week to read it and I was practically a zombie.

Agreed on pretty much everything everyone else has said.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bremen posted:

Did you even sleep? I took at least a week to read it and I was practically a zombie.

Agreed on pretty much everything everyone else has said.

Not really. I have a pretty bad insect phobia so going straight from reading Worm all day into trying to sleep didn't really work.

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah it really would have served better as half a dozen or so much more fleshed out novels that functioned well on their own along the lines of ASOIAF or Harry Potter or whatever. As one giant whole it is both too much and not enough.

Thinking about it I don't know how well this would work. I think the reading experience kind of requires it to be this one long continuous, bloated THING. The overall narrative structure is carefully building up an intricate, beautifully layered house of cards and then throwing a bowling ball at it and destroying it, then picking up all the cards that didn't get too bent or crushed and building another one. Over and over again. I don't know that there are points in there that you can cut it and go "okay, this is book 1, this is book 2, etc." and have it work for a reader who is going to take breaks between books. The only point I can think of that would naturally fit would be the timeskip, which I also think is the weakest part of the whole thing because it's the only time where the house of cards gets rebuilt offstage.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Book 1: the initial stuff -- start in media res with Lung, Taylor and her 'undercover informant' plan, difficulties with her dad, climax with bank raid and Taylor getting named by the PRT
Book 2: the underworld stuff -- tensions with her father, going all-in on the Undersiders as BB gets increasingly tense, Lung re-match, climax with Gala and the reveal of Coil
Book 3: this is the one where you'd probably have to do the most work on, but you'd climax with Leviathan after driving Taylor to her lowest point and perhaps leaving it as an open question if she re-joined the Undersiders

You could separate it into about nine books pretty easily. It'd still require a ton of editing, though, like giving Taylor some mini-arcs in each novel and otherwise restructuring and redeveloping a lot of the first 8 arcs into three books of like 80,000 words each. But then you'd hopefully end up with three trilogies that would end with an Endbringer fight, and the last one would be a bit of a fake-out because it's Scion and not the Simurgh.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 7, 2022

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Just started reading Trailer Trash. Wow.

Heavy spoiler, if you want to start this I suggest going in blind.

I didn't really expect the repeat, and so it hit me really hard. This is how you do time loop ! I think I was right about my earlier reaction to Mother of Learning, it's just so much better if there's some loss and actually emotion involved, and not just a bit of confusion and an endless training montage.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

MonikaTSarn posted:

I didn't really expect the repeat, and so it hit me really hard. This is how you do time loop ! I think I was right about my earlier reaction to Mother of Learning, it's just so much better if there's some loss and actually emotion involved, and not just a bit of confusion and an endless training montage.

I hadn’t heard of and wasn’t planning on reading this so I clicked the spoiler and now I’m definitely going to read it. Is this the one you’re talking about?

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

blastron posted:

I hadn’t heard of and wasn’t planning on reading this so I clicked the spoiler and now I’m definitely going to read it. Is this the one you’re talking about?

Yes. Read it, and don't read my next spoiler until you start on book 2.

Just one chapter further and it isn't actually a time loop book at all ! Or is it ? I just don't know anymore

Edit:

And of course I fall for a years--old Aprils Fools joke next. This thing is a rolercoaster !

MonikaTSarn fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 7, 2022

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It put out a new chapter today but I should have waited another four months to read it so that I could binge two chapters in a row

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Argue posted:

It put out a new chapter today but I should have waited another four months to read it so that I could binge two chapters in a row

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MonikaTSarn posted:

One of my favorite stories, it is just unfortunate that the author has a bunch of irl stuff going on and can only update sporadically.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
is this the serial that has evanescence as the most popular musical act of all time

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

is this the serial that has evanescence as the most popular musical act of all time

Yeah, I was the one who commented on that, but the serial itself is good and I'd recommend at least trying it out. The author is fully aware about it being a wish fulfillment thing, and it isn't quite as "indulgent" as serials like that usually are.