Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

not_superiority posted:

this really is the crux of the bullshit and i hate aaallll of it. i wish we had the cdc that was in contagion tbh

I searched the thread for contagion while I'm now 10 minutes into the movie, this is gonna be a good night :rubby:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wish we had the almost everything that was in Contagion.

The populace, the Information Warriors, the law enforcement, the virus’s R0.

One of the very few things that is actually worse in Contagion is the IFR, but to be clear that is a big difference.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Fenarisk posted:

Just got done at the pediatrician for our son's 6 month shots and checkup, and she passed on some info on what they have seen these past 2 months:

1) Kids of all ages post infection from covid in December are coming in almost biweekly with infections, the immune system seems to be absolutely shot, especially in babies under 1 year old but still prevalent across all ages except for over 12.

2) She hasn't seen a single "mild" case for any kid under 2, she equates it to a mix of flu and rsv symptoms but only had to send very few to the hospital, though the effects afterwards feed back into point #1.

3) She said as much as it's important at 6 to 9 months for babies to see people and socialize for proper development, her reccomendation is to do it outdoors and from a distance at a park or something and keep people at a distance still.

Glad we gave such a good pediatrician who takes this seriously (they hand out and make everyone wear n95 who can), but man that info ain't good :smith: She even mentioned she foresees it getting really, really bad by the time April hits due to schools having no masks here in the Chicago suburbs.
loving hell

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Soap Scum posted:

judging from gradenko's Philippines updates and some convos with my friends there, I've gotten that sense that Philippines politics is like a bizarroworld fun-house mirror reflection of US politics in a lot of ways. not that I disagree with you, just an observation from the last couple years of following

but idk maybe gradenko thinks that's crazy talk, curious what you think

That's pretty accurate. I can do a longer effortpost later but we're basically on a six to twelve month delay on political trends relative to the US

It's frankly a miracle that our COVID policy has been as comparatively effective as it was. It's still worse than it could have been but they didn't (yet) throw us to the dogs entirely

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

so you know how the Democratic governors are lifting all these mandates because of stupid focus groups?

what are the chances that these focus groups were infiltrated by pro business chud operatives trying to screw the Dems by feeding them bad information

Pingui posted:

Why would pro business chud operatives infiltrate a focus group of pro business chuds?

Steve Yun posted:

polls show that the majority of Americans want mask mandates, so it’s really weird that focus groups are saying that mask mandates are unpopular

Pingui posted:

Edit: at the same time, there is also a lot wrong with polling. Like wfh people are both more likely to want a mask mandate and more likely to pick up the phone. Many sides.
pro business liberals and chuds have the same bottom lines and goals
and pushing out a lovely poll that will push that narrative will happen

reminds me, i hate listened to pod save america to hear the awful post-biden-sotu takes and they kept saying how the speech was loved and adored and cited this poll that consisted of only folks that were 'on the fence' and that either voted for biden or considered it or some such bullshit

anyway number rules all and covid is over

:theroni:

edit yea this,

Thoguh posted:

The focus groups are Trump to Biden voters. They aren't representative of Americans. They are representative of idiots.

Tzen fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 6, 2022

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

nexous posted:

another customer at the store asked me to remove my respirator because it was distressing to see

I did not acknowledge her

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Lol yeah, I got that poo poo at Costco when I had my 6200 on. “You’re scaring my kids!”
:krad:

edit,

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I think I terrified some poor woman at the gas station today with my caver doom mask that I upgraded with the huge black filters.
:getin:

Tzen fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 6, 2022

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I’m just going to move heaven and earth if necessary to not go to Costco on a Saturday ever again. I’ll take PTO to go on a weekday if necessary. I don’t want to deal with these people and their poo poo anymore.
i now do all my costco shopping on weekdays an hour to 30 min before closing time
it's just not worth the stress otherwise

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gab_H_R/status/1500284929636278274

So that is kinda weird that the virus can still be detected even long after you've been dead for more than a month.
hahah jesus christ

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

I am a broken record on this but as someone that you will almost never see at a store in a mask, it is this. You won't see me because I do not go. Since last May I have been to the grocery store one time, takeout pickup one time, and that is it. Everything else has been curbside or delivery. You aren't seeing Americans in masks because masked Americans are noping out.
even with what i know, i can't do curbside, i need to hand pick the poo poo i buy for some dumb reason
i've only done curbside pickup once during this pandemic, in the early 2020s when a business was curbside only
i haven't caught the plague yet, thank you based secure click

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

lol I'm trying real hard to not live blog this movie

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

tangy yet delightful posted:

I searched the thread for contagion while I'm now 10 minutes into the movie, this is gonna be a good night :rubby:
lmao you're loving in for it i'm excited for you

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol I'm trying real hard to not live blog this movie
hahah loving do it

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

I wish we had the almost everything that was in Contagion.

The populace, the Information Warriors, the law enforcement, the virus’s R0.

One of the very few things that is actually worse in Contagion is the IFR, but to be clear that is a big difference.
i'd like just the visualization of death
people instantly dropping dead in horrific fashion would I loving HOPE cause a better government response
lol
hope?
lmao

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tzen posted:

hahah loving do it

it's on netflix btw thread, it wasn't on there last time I checked somewhere after this pandemic started thru till now

I'm assuming netflix got it for cheap to put up now that the pandemic is OVER

much like everyone still going around maskless 47 minutes into CONTAGION and taking poo poo all for precautions, pre-potential-RIP to the lead investigator in MN that was investigating this deadly disease with apparently no precautions

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

oh no it mutated to an Rnought of 4 (FOUR)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Just had an idea for a bit

Ukrainian Emily Oster and she's demanding schools be reopened in Kyiv because the chances of getting hit by Russian artillery is remote

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

gonna go sleep now and have excellent Contagion/Covid dreams

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Oh I forgot I had another movie to recommend this thread! As The Wind Blows.

It's a little animated piece about an elderly couple living in the English countryside, in an alternate timeline where London got nuked. It explores the breakdown between government communication and population preparedness for catastrophic disasters. Be warned it starts a bit slow, it's got some slightly weird very 70s-y bits, and it's also relentlessly grim (especially if, like me, you have elderly parents who are half following barely-understood and insufficient government directives).

Idk if it's on streaming because I :filez: all my media. It might be on YouTube? Anyway, worth watching if you can track it down.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ukrainian Emily Oster and she's demanding schools be reopened in Kyiv because the chances of getting hit by Russian artillery is remote

I'm pretty sure that if you take the absolute worst casualty numbers from both sides that you are still less likely to die from violence on the front lines of Ukraine than you are to get COVID at an Applebees.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

tenderjerk posted:

The cool thing about those apocalyptic HK numbers is that is a populace that is generally amenable to universal masking

Can't wait to see what BA.2 it looks like here with every safety measure removed :allears:

I'm not sure they'll be much different.

Over the last year, we've seen several highly effective pandemic containment efforts fail. Vietnam. New Zealand. South Korea. Now, Hong Kong.

The thing they all seem to have in common is the sudden catastrophic nature of their failure. Month X: doing fine. Month X+1: case numbers almost dead vertical, and tons of news about the collapse.

OTOH, the US never had a pandemic containment effort worthy of the name. Never.

So we're liable to see dramatic case increases, sure.

But we were never in a place where the pandemic was under even the most transient control, so we don't have as far to fall.

How do you fall from elevation zero?

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

Pingui posted:

What is going on in HK?

Answer:
1) China's COVID Zero policy
2) ?
3) Mass death in HK

Disagree.

BA.2 is going on.

It was that one straw too many that breaks the camel's back.

Money quote:

quote:

Since January, Hong Kong’s case numbers have roughly doubled every three days.

The cases appear to be almost all Omicron—specifically, Omicron BA.2, the subvariant the World Health Organization warns is 30% more transmissible than Omicron’s original strain.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

T-Paine posted:

You'd think this would be a common place belief, because it's undeniably true, but talk to a significant number of Americans and they'll happily tell you that masks aren't 100% and are therefore a waste of time

Of course they will.

You cannot expect anything better from a population that is innumerate by choice.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

bi crimes posted:

BA.2 is definitely going to gently caress the US up, right? is it not over here yet? I’ve been sticking my head in the sand and not paying attention until an alarming amount of people around town stopped wearing masks again

My brass is on BA.2 growing to 2/3 of the total "new case" numbers in the US in two weeks' time, i.e., by the weekend of March 19-20. I'll be amazed if it takes 4 more weeks, rather than 2.

Whether we get a major wave out of this or not depends on the degree to which these results hold true.

H/T to Nocturtle for posting this back on Feb 28.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

CPU Abuser posted:

Disagree.

BA.2 is going on.

It was that one straw too many that breaks the camel's back.

Money quote:

It also lines up with New Years celebrations, the same as the original 2020 diaspora. Indoor parties are unsafe yet people just can’t stop having em.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

Zugzwang posted:

This person must have previously been through a lot in life that miscalibrated their horribleness meters.

4 letters: COPD

Living with chronic asthma and seasonal bronchitis (1 month sick, every spring and every fall) will do that to you, with a fair degree of efficiency.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

Goreld posted:

It also lines up with New Years celebrations, the same as the original 2020 diaspora. Indoor parties are unsafe yet people just can’t stop having em.

It most certainly does line up.

But the connection with BA.2 does not require inference. It's a result of direct observation. Read the piece in the OP, or just read those few sentences I cited.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

Kylaer posted:

I am absolutely certain that the majority of Americans don't want mask mandates, because the majority of Americans don't wear masks. Something is off with the polling.

Bingo.

I never trust the results of polls when they are contradicted by the evidence of my eyes.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I think you're getting a certain amount of selection bias by going off of how many people you see unmasked vs masked, the people who still care enough to mask are also likely limiting their exposure to the public

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

A Bakers Cousin posted:

You can buy 99% iso alcohol on amazon for a reasonable price these days. I use it to clean weed glass but its lab grade stuff.

You don't want 99% alcohol for disinfection, for anyone reading this. You'd need to water it down to about 70% (50-90% is good for disinfection)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

CPU Abuser posted:

Disagree.
(..)

That was a sarcastic summary of the article's framing.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh no it mutated to an Rnought of 4 (FOUR)

lmfao

our imagination was so limited

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
gently caress it, why not...

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-03-experts-balkans-measles-outbreak.html posted:

'A question of time': experts fear Balkans measles outbreak
(..)
Vanja's position is increasingly common in Montenegro which has the lowest measles vaccine uptake globally with just 23.8 percent of infants inoculated in 2020 with the first of two shots, according to World Health Organization data.

The dramatic decline in inoculation rates has public health experts bracing for an imminent measles outbreak in Montenegro and its nearby Balkan neighbours where vaccination uptake has also plummeted, largely due to a rise in misinformation, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"The risk of a measles outbreak is high," Dragan Jankovic, an immunisation official with the WHO, told AFP.

"Importation of the measles virus is only a question of time... as soon as it is imported into a susceptible population, an outbreak will start."

In neighbouring North Macedonia, 63 percent of children were inoculated with the first shot of the combined measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine, while in Serbia 78 percent have had the jab.
(..)

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Whenever I'm out I always overhear kids telling their parents that they think my mask is cool

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HazCat posted:

Oh I forgot I had another movie to recommend this thread! As The Wind Blows.

It's a little animated piece about an elderly couple living in the English countryside, in an alternate timeline where London got nuked. It explores the breakdown between government communication and population preparedness for catastrophic disasters. Be warned it starts a bit slow, it's got some slightly weird very 70s-y bits, and it's also relentlessly grim (especially if, like me, you have elderly parents who are half following barely-understood and insufficient government directives).

Idk if it's on streaming because I :filez: all my media. It might be on YouTube? Anyway, worth watching if you can track it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pJKdTqYijY

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

HazCat posted:

Be warned it starts a bit slow, it's got some slightly weird very 70s-y bits, and it's also relentlessly grim (especially if, like me, you have elderly parents who are half following barely-understood and insufficient government directives).

Oh hey that's my mom to a T! I'll watch this to torture myself.

My dad died a year before COVID appeared, and was the most stubborn man who ever lived. He almost certainly would have been sucked into all the Q poo poo and I would have gone further insane a few years ahead of schedule trying to argue with him. Not glad he's gone but I can finally understand being glad someone didn't live to see something.

I still talk to him sometimes even though I know it's just a void listening. About as effective as talking to some of my living family, really.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I’ve been kind of involuntarily Osterizing stuff in my head for a while now.

Did you know that almost no American children actually die OF starvation? On top of that, these free school lunches create a horrible division between the students who have to pay to eat and the students that get everything handed to them. Most insidious of all, these so called free lunches foster a culture of dependency that does irreparable damage to the kids who most need to learn to hustle. End the food for children mandates, it’s gone on long enough.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Anecdotally, my one year old is perfectly well and happy and hitting all of his milestones despite spending the first year of life in a bubble. Guess I’m just a crazy person, sacrificing his socialization to make certain he doesn’t catch an autoimmune-kamikaze of diseases.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ran into an old acquaintance who told a funny story about going to a birthday party for kids. She was thinking it was a bad idea the whole time, but expected cupcakes and instead a cake was brought out. And the birthday kid did an intentional fake sneeze onto it

So she had to drag her crying kids out while they demanded cake and got told no they had to go buy some at a store

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Struensee posted:

You don't want 99% alcohol for disinfection, for anyone reading this. You'd need to water it down to about 70% (50-90% is good for disinfection)

70% is easily purchasable as an FYI for anybody wondering if watering things down is annoying (it isn't but again youcan just buy 70% iso for quite cheap at amazon or a pharmacy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1500459270327914499?s=20&t=HYm1A9Tmwsx5vCFxuGzPBA

I'm beyond sick of this framing and holy poo poo the comments are bad for my blood pressure. "Only unvaccinated people die and that's their fault, or if they were vaccinated they're such a tiny minority that it's not worth it for ME TO PUT MY LIFE ON HOLD!! I demand you tell me your medical condition so I can decide if I will deign to value your life! Stay in a cave forever if you're scared!"

A sea of nearly identical, heartless sentiments from assholes who certainly don't think of themselves as such with Ukraine flags and Build Back Better in their bios and usernames.

It's not that they aren't privy to the same information as I am. It's that they're refusing it.

Yeahhhh I'm back to thinking of this casual dismissal of human lives as evil.