Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gbut posted:

Just got my ender 3 V2 and initial benchy came out great. I was expecting more fiddling involved tbh.

This is the first time I've done a 3d print since working with some stratasys powder devices more than a decade ago. And I'm excited to print some tool organizers myself.

The first print is the best one you’ll ever get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ToxicFrog posted:

it'll need actual design work

I can't imagine this will actually be useful to anyone, but in case anyone wants it, I built these in OnShape, so they're available for grabbing/mangling. The tool holder trays, at least, were somewhat sensibly designed, maybe. Maybe not. The drill chuck & center drills rack, that one was a weird approach, it's not pretty. It may get a full redesign if I ever decide I need to reprint it.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Bad Munki posted:

It’s actually just fluorescent paint glopped in there :ssh:

To my old and bad eyes it looked exactly the color of the orange trays in the next pictures :v:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I've heard that nail polish is good for painting in things like that (not on ABS though)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

I can't imagine this will actually be useful to anyone, but in case anyone wants it, I built these in OnShape, so they're available for grabbing/mangling. The tool holder trays, at least, were somewhat sensibly designed, maybe. Maybe not. The drill chuck & center drills rack, that one was a weird approach, it's not pretty. It may get a full redesign if I ever decide I need to reprint it.

Yeah, in my case I'm trying to make a replacement for this:

Specifically, for the clear plastic tray. And I need something that has the same overall form factor, or I'd just print out a desktop tray for everything.

Everything else in the kit is either metal, reasonably durable hard plastic, or thick cloth, so I wonder why this part and this part only is so flimsy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Probably because that part is only meant to hold things while it’s on the store shelf, with the expectation that the other bits get integrated into whatever storage solution you have at home. Tool box, tool chest, workbench, etc.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Bad Munki posted:

Man, it seems like sometimes I’ll go a month or two without touching the printer at all, and then suddenly I’m on it all day every day.

Anyhow, really pleased with how some storage caddies for my lathe tooling & accessories is coming together. Couldn’t stand the parts hanging out loose in the drawer.

I have another of the tool holder trays on the way, in yet another color. Willfully going for the clown aesthetic on my color selection here.

dope, yeah custom storage/displays is one of the best applications for this stuff.
i have a corner of one room turned into a little personal museum for the archeological specimens/fossils/minerals/coins I've collected, one of my low-priority projects is putting together a simple 3D scanner so I can digitize my collection and then easily produce bespoke display mounts + information cards to suit each STL without having to pull a million dimensions and manually design the assets for each display

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Anyone running a UPS backup for their printers? I was 2.5 hours into a 19 hour print* and had the power go out right before bed, I assume due to the storm going on outside. I set it back up and as I was laying in bed the power went out again; decided to call it for the night. Since I can only do prints this long on the weekend (and only on the ones where I'm going to be home the whole time) it's pretty annoying!

I've heard of printers with a "resume" function, but don't see it anywhere on my Ender 3 Pro with Marlin. Not sure how useful it'd be; the 2.5 hour print had a big mark where the hot nozzle had stopped.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Power off resume is only vaguely functional. Even if the firmware side works perfectly, it's still going to end up with the print falling off the build plate (or being yanked off by the nozzle that's partially melted a little volcano in the print). Not that there aren't success stories, but it's always going to turn into a worse print that potentially wastes a bunch of filament as well as time.
I use a UPS, it's a giant Eaton that I got cheap and replaced the battery. Just about any UPS is going to be helpful for a printer, though the bigger the better.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Not a proper UPS, but I do use a beefy surge protector that seems to have some limited buffering capacity in that regard, I dunno what exactly- I get occasional power flickers that would reboot my Mars Pro plugged directly into the wall, with this it weathers them just fine as long as it isn't out for more than a second or so.

I know for resin printers you ought, in principle, to be able to recover a print if it drops out at a known layer transition that isn't mid-exposure, and if you don't move the build plate. You can definitely pause a program between exposures essentially indefinitely, it backs the head off and everything, and there's no reason you couldn't use a diagnostic program like UVtools to tweak your build file to start a print at a desired layer if it got shut off mid-pause. No idea if there's any way to retrieve the last printed layer after a crash, though. I've never had so much invested in a print that it was worth it to try a restart from a power-off crash, historically I've just eaten the loss and restarted the print from scratch.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I would think you would need a really beefy UPS for any kind of printing off of it. Quick googling suggests an average Ender 3 power draw is 125 watts.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Probably because that part is only meant to hold things while it’s on the store shelf, with the expectation that the other bits get integrated into whatever storage solution you have at home. Tool box, tool chest, workbench, etc.

Normally I'd think so, except that plastic bit fits neatly into a hard plastic locking shell which, in turn, straps to the fabric...thing that holds all the other tools and also folds around itself to form a compact carrying case. It's clearly meant to be deployed like that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Anyone running a UPS backup for their printers? I was 2.5 hours into a 19 hour print* and had the power go out right before bed, I assume due to the storm going on outside. I set it back up and as I was laying in bed the power went out again; decided to call it for the night. Since I can only do prints this long on the weekend (and only on the ones where I'm going to be home the whole time) it's pretty annoying!

I've heard of printers with a "resume" function, but don't see it anywhere on my Ender 3 Pro with Marlin. Not sure how useful it'd be; the 2.5 hour print had a big mark where the hot nozzle had stopped.

I put my printers on some UPSes as I've been upgrading my computer ones. I've got the Ender 3 and Maker select each on some Cyberpower 685VA ones and the Sunlu S8 on a Cyberpower 1000VA one from like 2003. The 685VA were the smallest ones I could buy with Automatic Voltage Regulation back in the day where it'll use battery power if there's a voltage droop like a brownout. None of them are going to survive more than a few minutes with the power out since the printers are using ~150W or so (more when heating up initially I assume) but it helps with small power disruptions and gives me a slim chance to continue through an outage. When I had a bad battery on one of the 685s I tried using the 1000VA for the Sunlu and the Ender 3 at the same time but it would get overdrawn and shriek and turn off when the second printer started warming up its bed, so for now it's one per printer and I replaced the battery so they're all set up.

I have a lot of power outages here in NJ because trees take out the lines north of me and I'm near the south of my power provider's grid, meaning large storms have a good chance of knocking out the power. We have a generator but it takes some time to get it hooked up and running and I typically wait a couple of minutes just in case it's a short outage. I could probably set it up in time to keep a print going if I really wanted my print not to fail but it would involve a lot of rushing around to get everything set up. I started buying UPSes after Hurricane Isabel in '03 killed my computer's power supply as well as the power supplies in a couple of the TVs in the house which were pretty expensive to have repaired.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Finally redid some wires, figured out an extruder was running backwards, and I am finally printing on the voron.

Holy poo poo I will never use another printer again. Just throwing some loose pla on and it's just powering through a test cube. Minor issue with overheating I think but that was because I set the electronic cooling fans to 50% because I thought the airflow was good enough

Time to throw the sides on and print some abs parts.

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 5, 2022

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Thanks guys. There is a used/"like new" 1200w one for sale near me on Marketplace for $100 so I may see if the guy takes $80. Little brownouts (and sometimes longer ones, but can't do much about that) seem to happen a bit more living in a country town.

Random question: does anyone else's pet seem weirdly attracted to their printer? My cat has a habit of coming up and sitting on the chair near it when it's in use. She can't actually see up onto the table to see what's going on, and with the enclosure/distance it wouldn't be providing any heat... maybe she finds the noise of the stepper motors soothing or something?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
My cat likes it, and tired to sit inside my voron while it was being built as it was an enclosed space

They are also fascinated by the remains of prints and I think they are also attracted to pla

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Don't let your cats dig the skirts out of the trash and eat them. That's roughly a $1200 abdominal surgery.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Next time just print a cat coffin, hth

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

insta posted:

Don't let your cats dig the skirts out of the trash and eat them. That's roughly a $1200 abdominal surgery.

Goddamn, there is a lot wrong with my cats but they have never tried to eat print castoffs.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
Took some modifications to the scad you sent me, but I got that bracket to fit for my pallet on my ender 3v2. Can't wait to try out the pallete tomorrow. Got a prusa mk3s+ on the way says estimated delivery is week of the 14th. This hobby started with a cheap 60 dollar printer from Amazon and has grown quickly.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

insta posted:

Ugh I need a closed garbage can. I have no solid evidence yet but I have found half a PLA bounding box downstairs.

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

Trying out some Jessie pla for the first time, printed a few things and like it a lot already. Their vanilla bean is my favorite of the colors I picked out, definitely gonna pick up some more. A+++++++

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Any recommendations for a food-grade filament (for toddler toys), preferably no sheen?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

gbut posted:

Any recommendations for a food-grade filament (for toddler toys), preferably no sheen?

prob not a good idea.

PETG is what soda bottles are made from, so its generally recommended for food safe stuff, but :

1) Colorful stuff and different manufacturers dump a ton of extra chemicals in it to make it look nice , print easier, etc. Don't put it in your mouth.
2) You probably printed other stuff before that. Your bowden through hotend through nozzle as all the residue of all the previous prints on it. Think of it like the cheese slicer at the deli. Cheese , and only cheese is cut on it. Not even once.
3) the stacked layers on an FDM printer leave very small little recesses where bacteria can grow. Sanitation will be a bit of an issue.

ABS is also an alternative, but all the above issues also apply. I have cookie cutters made from PETG but i cover it in saranwrap first.

Stick with BPA free tested stuff.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro
SLA question:
A friend of mine is moving out of the country, and is willing to just give me his Elegoo Mars + Mercury (which is a fantastic score imo).

I'm a bit nervous about the fumes, though. I could set it up in a grow tent in our spare bedroom and try to duct out through the window. This would be a bit inconvenient, but doable.
We also have a utility room with a bit of dryer duct that's been orphaned since we moved the laundry. It's still there, and still runs outside; I think it would be pretty easy to run some flexduct to that.

Am I being overly paranoid? :ohdear:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Roundboy posted:

prob not a good idea.

PETG is what soda bottles are made from, so its generally recommended for food safe stuff, but

PET. PETG is a different though related material.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

gbut posted:

I absolutely would not 3D-print anything for a toddler to play with, both for the reasons Roundboy stated and also because you cannot guarantee that your particular design/print won't break in a way that leaves sharp edges.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Points taken. I was "researching" it a bit and saw some recommendations about coating in epoxy and other post processing techniques, but I guess it's not quite there yet, and it's better to be safe then sorry.

Thank you.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Althalin posted:

SLA question:
A friend of mine is moving out of the country, and is willing to just give me his Elegoo Mars + Mercury (which is a fantastic score imo).

I'm a bit nervous about the fumes, though. I could set it up in a grow tent in our spare bedroom and try to duct out through the window. This would be a bit inconvenient, but doable.
We also have a utility room with a bit of dryer duct that's been orphaned since we moved the laundry. It's still there, and still runs outside; I think it would be pretty easy to run some flexduct to that.

Am I being overly paranoid? :ohdear:

No, it's good to be concerned about resin toxicity because your system can become reactive to it at any time through exposure. There's stl files for window outlets that connect to common flexible ducts/hoses if you want to make your own.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gbut posted:

The issue is the FDM, not the filament. The printing process does not create easily-cleanable surfaces. If you coat it with resin you’ll still wind up with little pockets and valleys for stuff to grow in.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
If you really wanna make toys for a toddler, use the 3d printer just to make the tooling to produce the toy in an appropriate, child-safe/food-safe material, like printing a mold and casting silicone into it.
As a rule, nothing you directly print will be foodsafe or ‘hygienic’, even if the material is fine the actual print is an incredibly porous structure that’s impossible to sanitize effectively. FDM, resin, it doesn’t matter. would assume any topcoat or sealant over the print will fail rather quickly given the wear and tear kids put on toys.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Alternate theory: print your kid small intricate toys to toughen them up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

withak posted:

Alternate theory: print your kid small intricate toys to toughen them up.

This is why I print exclusively with iocane-impregnated filaments.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Well, they are born with microplastics embedded in them these days, how much could it actually hurt?

Thank you for stopping me from inadvertently damaging my offspring.
:doh:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Damage your offspring by showing them that they can print their own printer upgrades. Then show them tinkercad.

Wait. That is me that can't stop.

So the voron has been running a rpi zero 2 for a couple days of solid printing and tests, all PLA. Today I decided to start tuning for abs and I also happened to add a new thermistor because I had it and more info is awesome.

Now I keep getting klipper crashing/stopping with various errors. The pi temp never gets above 35c with a bed @100c above it. My USB webcam now starts to stutter and lag behind, eventually freezing. I just ended up removing it and the new thermostor

I also had the pi almost run out of space with 3fb free normally. Full reboot and it's back, but I occasionally get a problem. Fingers crossed my overnight goes fine. But research shows it's a mcu timing issue, but I am positive I have it set fine. Top shows the links not cpi bound at all.

I sometimes catch klipper or moonraker topped out on resources on the stst page, but Its only a brief moment. Logs aren't really showing anything. Where should I be looking?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Damage your offspring by showing them that they can print their own printer upgrades. Then show them tinkercad.

Wait. That is me that can't stop.

So the voron has been running a rpi zero 2 for a couple days of solid printing and tests, all PLA. Today I decided to start tuning for abs and I also happened to add a new thermistor because I had it and more info is awesome.

Now I keep getting klipper crashing/stopping with various errors. The pi temp never gets above 35c with a bed @100c above it. My USB webcam now starts to stutter and lag behind, eventually freezing. I just ended up removing it and the new thermostor

I also had the pi almost run out of space with 3fb free normally. Full reboot and it's back, but I occasionally get a problem. Fingers crossed my overnight goes fine. But research shows it's a mcu timing issue, but I am positive I have it set fine. Top shows the links not cpi bound at all.

I sometimes catch klipper or moonraker topped out on resources on the stst page, but Its only a brief moment. Logs aren't really showing anything. Where should I be looking?

Too much power draw on the pi maybe?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Has anyone in here built the Formbot Voron 2.4 kit? Thinking about pulling the trigger and either using the printed forward to get the printed parts or a seller off of etsy/ebay for them.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

mattfl posted:

Has anyone in here built the Formbot Voron 2.4 kit? Thinking about pulling the trigger and either using the printed forward to get the printed parts or a seller off of etsy/ebay for them.

I have. Search the history for what I replaced, but it wasn't a huge amount. Mine was an earlier 2021 kit, a later 2021 kit was much improved. It's also make sure it's a 2.4R2 kit, as while the improvements aren't enough to make me go rebuild a good working 2.4, they're a definite improvement.

I'd suggest if you had a few extra dollars, look at the LDO kit, if only because the extra included bits are really worth it.

Klicky should have been official 2.4R2. Prove me wrong.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

snail posted:

I have. Search the history for what I replaced, but it wasn't a huge amount. Mine was an earlier 2021 kit, a later 2021 kit was much improved. It's also make sure it's a 2.4R2 kit, as while the improvements aren't enough to make me go rebuild a good working 2.4, they're a definite improvement.

I'd suggest if you had a few extra dollars, look at the LDO kit, if only because the extra included bits are really worth it.

Klicky should have been official 2.4R2. Prove me wrong.

I've seen the LDO kits, but it looks like no vendor will have it until after April and I'm an impatient person lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

mattfl posted:

I've seen the LDO kits, but it looks like no vendor will have it until after April and I'm an impatient person lol

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with the Formbot kit as I experienced it, mine is a solid reliable machine. Some things could have been better, use your brain, you'll be fine.