Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Joementum posted:

cool. I just checked the website and it says we can order more “starting this week”. I tried ordering some and it told me to check back “this week”, so I guess I’ll try again tomorrow.

at least we know there’s no rush since covid is over

reorders are live now, fwiw. I just placed mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

i will never stop loving russians and their vantablack sense of humor

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Shiroc posted:

The ways in which so many things are breaking or moving backwards would be fascinating if it wasn't real life. How do you gently caress up so badly that it destroys existing systems and knowledge?

e content: I keep looking at various systems and trying to clock where they are in their decay by what form they take, it passes the time

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

How reusable are Readimasks before the adhesive becomes risky? Seems like it might be hard to judge.

I hope to be able to report back for both oily goon skin and non-goon skin soon.

My assumption would be "don't trust that you can reuse these," but I Am Not A Sanitarian.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cheesus posted:

Anyone else finding themselves in a situation where their spouse is buying into the Biden propaganda and those irritating and increasingly uncomfortable facts are becoming more meaningless? If so, how are you handling it?

Thankfully I'm not in this situation, but I really don't see how there's any way around this. You're never, ever going to stop someone who wants to give up, and your exposure risk will inevitably be the same as your spouse's. Are you going to mask up at home around them for a few days after every time they go out? There's just no tenable solution for someone you're cohabitating with.

Pretty clear that COVID is absolutely top tier when it comes to relationship stressors. I bet that fact is going to push down mask usage as hard as anything else right now.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Cheesus posted:

Anyone else finding themselves in a situation where their spouse is buying into the Biden propaganda and those irritating and increasingly uncomfortable facts are becoming more meaningless? If so, how are you handling it?

Not open Biden, but we definitely have differing levels of "done with this."

It's getting harder the more society gives up. You barely see mentions of COVID in the news, now, unless it's thirst for China failure.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
my partner works as a para at a public k-12 school so she has to more or less do whatever the administrators and kids are swinging towards... and I don't really blame her for being under those circumstances. There is no doubt that we are days or weeks away from the school being completely maskless.

We both think it's important to work at public schools and do this kind of work so it's hard to decide to switch careers at this point.

but starting to get the sense that the true believers working in education are going to be more like true bag holders

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fly Molo posted:

destruction of existing systems and knowledge is a constant, ongoing problem. it’s the natural trend towards entropy of any complex system

when renewal and maintenance keep up with the destruction, business as usual continues. when circumstances (invasion, pestilence, famine, etc.) disrupt that repair cycle, even the ‘normal’ rate of decay suddenly becomes visible and horrifying

Why science fiction is really just fantasy

we can barely manage the poo poo we have now, the idea of humanity being able to build and maintain more complex systems like interstellar ships, even if the technology for FTL travel existed, is pure fantasy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We’ll steal the mass relays from the Protheans.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

my partner works as a para at a public k-12 school so she has to more or less do whatever the administrators and kids are swinging towards... and I don't really blame her for being under those circumstances. There is no doubt that we are days or weeks away from the school being completely maskless.

We both think it's important to work at public schools and do this kind of work so it's hard to decide to switch careers at this point.

but starting to get the sense that the true believers working in education are going to be more like true bag holders

Teachers always have been

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

My SO had over 15 years of experience in public education and loved her job. She quit last year for a permanently remote and horrifically evil marketing position rather than go back in.

I told her I thought it was a bad idea at the time but I was wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

My SO had over 15 years of experience in public education and loved her job. She quit last year for a permanently remote and horrifically evil marketing position rather than go back in.

Both political parties have outright told working people, especially working people with kids, that they're expected to catch covid 3-4 times a year for the foreseeable future and too fuckin' bad, thems the breaks.

I don't blame anyone for extricating themselves from that situation into remote work by any means possible.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

we can barely manage the poo poo we have now, the idea of humanity being able to build and maintain more complex systems like interstellar ships, even if the technology for FTL travel existed, is pure fantasy.

You're reading the wrong sci-fi stories. Our future is more likely like right out of the 40k Warhammer. A entire civilization full of pain and suffering, misunderstanding how things work that was invented by much smarter people in the past.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

we've reduced ships lost in the jump to hyperspace tunneling from 100% to 99.98%, buddy - we're 10 years away at most from a reliable process!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

I think one of the reasons I'm still doing in person work in school is because I'm new to this district and no one knows what to do with me. They're always in crisis mode because of covid. I sort of realized recently I can do whatever I want and if they fire me I don't think I'll have a hard time finding a teaching position.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Less than half of all students are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at nearly 75% of all Chicago public schools, with schools on the South and West sides continuing to post particularly low rates, new data shows.

And at nearly 50 schools, 10% of students or less are fully vaccinated as of Feb. 22, according to a WBEZ analysis of vaccination data for the district’s nearly 650 schools.

Though COVID-19 cases have dropped in recent weeks, and the student vaccination rate has grown, the disparity in vaccination rates is a major concern as Chicago Public Schools is poised to lift its mask mandate. CPS CEO Pedro Martinez said this week that masks will become optional in the “near future,” with more details to be shared early this week.

The Chicago Teachers Union opposes lifting the mask mandate. Its president said in a letter to Mayor Lori Lighfoot on Friday that there would be “consequences” if the district goes mask optional without bargaining with the union. It didn’t specify what the consequences would be. Universal masking is required under the safety agreement reached between the union and CPS in January. The district last week said its new masking policy would be drafted in collaboration with the union.

good times

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/audrawilliams/status/1500669564711014401

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

my main insight into the teaching profession, a friend of mine from college that's in my TTRPG group, just finished a data science crash course and is getting offers

his district's mishandling of covid and their monomania for test scores even at the expense of literal lives has finally broken him

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

the sweatpants one is bad but at least reads as "meant to be a joke." the dog one is straight evil lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I'm pretty sure I'd choose to live on the street over working for a company that treated me this way.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Greg Legg posted:

https://youtu.be/rfyOihhAD4A

My anti vaccine friend sent this to me overnight and then got mad at me when I told him that no one is stopping him from eating ivermectin if he wants to. I'm just venting because I don't get it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

the sweatpants one is bad but at least reads as "meant to be a joke." the dog one is straight evil lol

No way the dog one lasted an entire work day without getting smashed.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

lol dicks

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
On this day, 8 future workplace shooters were born

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

lol

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

$20 that the marketing motherfuckers who made this created all this while at home and are still working at home

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

was 400 a week a month ago, covid is loving over

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

McCracAttack posted:

No way the dog one lasted an entire work day without getting smashed.

i can't get over that one. i dont even have a dog, just cats. its just insanely vicious

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
https://mobile.twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1500835912225370112

State leaders haven't forgotten the premature celebrations last year, as they make the exact same mistakes they made last year.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Had a dream last night about covid. I think my subconscious is working out where things are going. Now that "omicron is mild" and every positive is a home test that doesn't get reported so you can't know how prevalent covid is in your community, everyone will treat it like it's just another cold-like illness. In my dream, I'd been a houseguest of a relative who dropped on us a day into my stay that he'd had 2 positive home tests a day before we got there.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

EMPLOYEES: Veterinary science has discovered that every time you leave for work, your dog assumes you've died and goes into mourning, only to suffer emotional whiplash upon your return, the stress of which shortens its life by up to 5 years. Welcome back!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dxt posted:

State leaders haven't forgotten the premature celebrations last year, as they make the exact same mistakes they made last year.

The haven’t forgotten them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

dxt posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1500835912225370112

do you remember
the 21st day of December
covid changed the lives of spider-man lovers
while killing them right awayyy

Apr 7, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

i can't get over that one. i dont even have a dog, just cats. its just insanely vicious

For a very great number of people life isn't "gently caress you got mine," it's just gently caress you. We're mentally ill great apes that take great pleasure in inflicting needless harm on each other.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

mastershakeman posted:

My cat starts to sit waiting for me to start working in my home office after a few days WFH, it's so sad on days I have to go in. (I have to go in conditionally depending on where I am in a project).

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
since malaria is endemic to specific regions I ain’t doing poo poo when I travel there

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why is anyone worried about nukes?

We’re past the peak.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Why is anyone worried about nukes?

We’re past the peak.

I want to laugh at this but there are so many unironic "well ackshually, nuclear war isn't that big of a deal" takes out there right now that I just - actually no wait I'm laughing again

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ukraine proves that the Zero Nuke strategy is unsustainable.

This isn’t 1984. Warheads are down and we have missile defense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
good thing everything is over and there is nothing to worry about