Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

T-Paine posted:

You start out in 1984 by saying, “Homo, homo homo.” By 2022 you can’t say “homo”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced gender reassignment for kids, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, gays get hurt worse than straights.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the trans thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “homo, homo.”

quoting this so I can find it later

and also covid is over, which makes it weird that case counts keep going up in my idyllic little county

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

ba.2 update still in beta?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

toggle posted:

making a very exciting rollout in hong kong rn apparently

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

whenever i read an article about the hong kong covid outbreak the comments section always has someone named Glenn or some poo poo with an upvoted comment that says "you can't beat covid! china's turn to suffer :twisted:! life, death, taxes, and covid!"

the funny part is that both parties in the US agree unanimously on this.

the extra funny part is that same analogy was a common public perception of measles, it was thought to be as inevitable as life and death. until the US eradicated it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

toggle posted:

unpatched release that'll be taken seriously a few months after release with lots of planned DLC.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

kreeningsons posted:

whenever i read an article about the hong kong covid outbreak the comments section always has someone named Glenn or some poo poo with an upvoted comment that says "you can't beat covid! china's turn to suffer :twisted:! life, death, taxes, and covid!"

the funny part is that both parties in the US agree unanimously on this.

the extra funny part is that same analogy was a common public perception of measles, it was thought to be as inevitable as life and death. until the US eradicated it.

The only thing the US is going to eradicate any time soon is itself

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Judakel posted:

china needs to rein in the unruly hker

u bet ur rear end mainland is trying their damndest

https://www.ft.com/content/209e06e8-8d64-4ebe-9b2d-9244e378e707

quote:

February 18 2022

Some Chinese cities have offered rewards for information about people smuggling after 15 individuals illegally entered Zhuhai, in southern Guangdong province, by boat from Hong Kong. At least four of them had Covid-19 and later travelled to other parts of China, according to Chinese media reports.

Fences and other fortifications along Hong Kong’s long land border with Shenzhen, Guangdong’s second-largest city, were originally built to stop illegal immigration from China into the territory. But it is relatively easy to travel by boat between Hong Kong and many cities in Guangdong, whose long coastline and river networks are difficult to police.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

After I told my parents that it was silly to visit Austria (my niece/sister/grandma live there), niece and sister have covid, and probably exposed my grandma a few days before her 93rd birthday.

Bonus point sfor them talking down to be about how I was overreacting and people need to live their life.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just spotted my boss, who was "out sick" all last week, wearing a lovely cloth mask.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Masks off at America's museums.

https://twitter.com/DCist/status/1500869012875579393

Kind of cool that these national community spaces will now be effectively off-limits to those at risk of severe disease or the immunocompromised. (Not that attending even with mask mandates was that great an idea, but still.)

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Regarding understanding COVID long-term impacts and their effect on the labor market, I found the analysis summarized in this previously posted news report useful. A key plot:

Estimating that half the US labor force or ~100 million workers was been infected by Oct 2021 is very plausible. Estimating 30% have "long COVID" is in line with PASC research, though estimates do vary a lot (maybe 10%-60%). However one big question is how severe is long COVID for your average worker, is it minor or completely debilitating? The author eventually very roughly estimates ~1.1 million people out of work due to long COVID at any given time. This is suggested as a possible contributor to the ~10 million unfilled positions in the job market.

Coming at it from a different angle, this analysis calculated an additional 1.2 million people in the civilian institutional population with a registered disability in 2021 compared to 2020.

The implication is a large fraction of these people have a new disability due to long COVID. I don't know how long it takes to get registered as disabled, and what fraction of disabled people successfully register, but it suggests around 1 million people workers developed a disability in 2020-2021 due to long COVID. This is the conclusion of the article.

Both of these analysis point, in a handwaving manner, to on the order of 1 million of the 100 million American workers infected in the first two years of the pandemic experiencing severe enough long COVID symptoms to either temporarily/permanently drop out of the labor force or be registered as disabled. A COVID infection having a >1% chance of inducing a
"significant" disability seems like a real possibility. Compare this with PASC research, which suggests >10% of COVID infections result in some type of "long COVID".

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 7, 2022

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pingui posted:

Unsurprising, but here is an illustration:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/06/how-much-covid-death-toll-is-function-peer-pressure/ posted:
How much of the covid death toll is a function of peer pressure?

We are at a new place in the pandemic, one much like the last two springs when it seemed like the virus might be in permanent decline. Keeping it there means tracking increases in cases and, if necessary, informing people about when and how they might be at risk. It means supporting those at higher risk and understanding that many Americans are at higher risk.

If we’re going to increasingly shift responses to the individual level, it means respecting individual choices. It means freedom for people to choose to wear masks if they want to and political leadership that’s fine with those choices.

You would be justified in feeling skeptical about the prospects of this happening.
lmao

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Why science fiction is really just fantasy

we can barely manage the poo poo we have now, the idea of humanity being able to build and maintain more complex systems like interstellar ships, even if the technology for FTL travel existed, is pure fantasy.

Actually. we can't manage the poo poo we have now.

We're hell on wheels when it comes to improving our tools.

But managing the geometrically increasing complexity of the world our tools have made? Not so much.

That, in two sentences, is our terminal dilemma.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this time the virus is in PERMANENT decline

it's OVER

as per current data cases will be down to 0 in the USA by april. it's done. the decline is permanent

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

empty whippet box posted:

it's OVER

as per current data cases will be down to 0 in the USA by april. it's done. the decline is permanent

:)

That one doesn't really need a "sarcasm" tag.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

it's OVER

i can't wait for our first negative case and death day

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

[placeholder for kurt vonnegut slaughterhouse five quote except it's bodies being wheeled out of freeze morgue trucks, nurses miraculously closing the holes in their swiss cheese lungs and dissolving blood clots, and these people reporting straight back to applebees where the virus is sucked out of their bodies over appetizers by a small group of selfless volunteers, a cycle that repeats until the virus is concentrated in just one person who spits it into a bat's mouth that flies safely back into a cave never to contact humanity ever again and the world is back to normal]

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I want to drop people like this in the middle of the jungle to test thier fitness for survival

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kreeningsons posted:

i can't wait for our first negative case and death day

so if we wait long enough, all the people who died will come back to life!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

That feeling when you're not a walking heart attack and stroke

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

kreeningsons posted:

[placeholder for kurt vonnegut slaughterhouse five quote except it's bodies being wheeled out of freeze morgue trucks, nurses miraculously closing the holes in their swiss cheese lungs and dissolving blood clots, and these people reporting straight back to applebees where the virus is sucked out of their bodies over appetizers by a small group of selfless volunteers, a cycle that repeats until the virus is concentrated in just one person who spits it into a bat's mouth that flies safely back into a cave never to contact humanity ever again and the world is back to normal]

:911: but it's a rona ball shedding a single tear

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

"official". Has the excess deaths eclipsed spanish flu yet

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

SARS-CoV-2 is associated with changes in brain structure in UK Biobank

is this good?

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

Cheesus posted:

Anyone else finding themselves in a situation where their spouse is buying into the Biden propaganda and those irritating and increasingly uncomfortable facts are becoming more meaningless? If so, how are you handling it?

Tracking probable exposure timeframes in my calendar to adequately assign blame if and when we catch it because of "got to live your life" activities, because the deterring effectiveness of a family member recently having a pretty severe case a month ago has apparently already worn off. You know, healthy relationship stuff. :rubby:

Nocturtle posted:

The possibility that SARs-COV-2 potentially persists in certain tissues and bodily reservoirs is something I hadn't paid attention to in the past, in part because the acute phase of the disease was bad enough but also because the majority of people appeared to fully recover from infection and presumably cleared the virus. However observations of potential viral persistence keeps coming up in PASC research with speculation that this could help explain long-term symptoms in at least some people. Here's one example, from a review article:

There are many others, and people itt have sporadically posted similar observations too.

The prospect that someone infected with SARs-COV-2 could potentially be permanently infected is a possibility I can't evaluate, as I'm not a virologist or immunologist or knowledgeable at all. However it appears to be more than a theoretical possibility at this time, and if it turns out to be true the current normalization of "non-severe" infections is even more horrendous.

Also would be bad news for China's zero-COVID strategy if every former COVID patient is a potential new patient-zero.

Hmm, persistent coronaviruses. Let's see if there's precedent for that...

vet.cornell.edu posted:

Most cats infected with a FCoV eliminate virus following infection, but some cats may develop a persistent infection. These cats are generally asymptomatic, can shed large amounts of virus in feces, and serve as a continual source of infection for other cats in the environment. Continual circulation of FCoV within a cat population may increase the chance that a virulent FIP strain might emerge. While the pathogenesis of FIP is poorly understood, it is now believed that detection and removal of persistently infected and shedding cats in a multi-cat household can reduce the risk of FIP emergence within that population.

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/animal-health-diagnostic-center/veterinary-support/disease-information/feline-coronavirus

lol and lmeowo

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

kreeningsons posted:

covid goes.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

how much of back to work is justifying real estate purchases vs. management needing to see their fiefdom instead of just doing nothing and letting the money roll in from excess labor

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

dxt posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1500835912225370112

State leaders haven't forgotten the premature celebrations last year, as they make the exact same mistakes they made last year.

"Predictable and manageable" well we're halfway there.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

zegermans posted:

how much of back to work is justifying real estate purchases vs. management needing to see their fiefdom instead of just doing nothing and letting the money roll in from excess labor

it's always gonna be whatever serves accumulated capital best, but por que no los dos?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

went to Target this morning in the DC burbs, still like ~80% customers wearing masks but workers were probably 50/50 to 2/3

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

it's because labor must never be seen as having the upper hand so daddy biden needs to step in and "crack" the "whip"

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
I'm sure there's not many of them, but I bet there are people who like going to the office. Pathetic, stupid, loser people, but people nonetheless

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wrex Ruckus posted:

went to Target this morning in the DC burbs, still like ~80% customers wearing masks but workers were probably 50/50 to 2/3

must be nice

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

T-Paine posted:

I'm sure there's not many of them, but I bet there are people who like going to the office. Pathetic, stupid, loser people, but people nonetheless

when we were pushed back into the office full time, I definitely overheard people talking about how great it was that they could "go home" now

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Iron Crowned posted:

must be nice

it's because we hate FREEDOM around these parts

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
The preschool that I support dropped their mask mandate and both of the kids I was there to work with are out sick. Huh.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kreeningsons posted:

it's because labor must never be seen as having the upper hand so daddy biden needs to step in and "crack" the "whip"

lol yeah

hope you enjoyed the enhanced unemployment and the stimulus checks if you got any of it, because they will never happen again.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

zegermans posted:

I thought it was letting workers know their place.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

T-Paine posted:

They're just called parents.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Joementum posted:

FYI, I just successfully ordered four more tests (aka two boxes lol) from covidtests.gov

thanks, brandon
:same:
even though I'm still sitting on about 8 tests, may as well get a few more

also lol I haven't seen any free n95s in any of my drugstores this past week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
HHS DATA

Since COVID Is you know, over, these numbers and maps will clearly show that right? Especially since this update is including weekend numbers which are notorious for just missing information.

BNO
March cases: 38,842
March Deaths 6,663

Total Beds: 768,660 (its been bouncing between 765 and 790 for a month)
Beds Used: 574,415
7 DAy Average: 576,662
COVID Beds: 34,077

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1500897196878663687?s=20&t=8HeGRByubgZx5KF2nQevwA

Total ICU Beds
ICU Beds Used: 57,408
COVID ICU Beds Used: 6,313

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1500897676736413696?s=20&t=8HeGRByubgZx5KF2nQevwA

COVID Admissions: 7,226
Adults - 6,590 (-200 from a week ago)
Kids - 636 (up 103 from a week ago)

Per Admissions - COVID is over!
https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1500897196878663687?s=20&t=8HeGRByubgZx5KF2nQevwA