Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The next step is clearly to get McKinsey run the invasion into Ukraine. Maybe setup an M&A process for Kazakhstan.

In Phase 1, we will analyze the current state of Russo-Ukrainian control.
In Phase 2, we will develop a strategy which will help you realize your vision for a pan-slavic Russian Empire.
In Phase 3, we will socialize this strategy with key stakeholders. Because you're an autocracy, this phase will be very short because it's basically just a meeting with Putin where we tell him what he wants to hear.

Also, due to current economic uncertainty fees for our professional services are due prior to project start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Apparently that Russian ship got lured into an ambush position by smaller boats and was sunk by a MLRS barrage. hosed up if true.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Barrel Cactaur posted:

That's around 6000 liters of fuel each. A full tank on one of these trucks is 300, and that moves them 100km for 35 liters on roads.

7 is fairly bad

11,000 gallons of fuel. At $3 a gallon they just blew up about 5 million rubles worth of fuel.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Play posted:

That did not look like any compression artifact I've ever seen, frankly. Compression would've blurred everything to make it difficult to see what happened, especially zoomed in, whereas this was actually quite clear.

the uncompressed video is also public, twitter was the one doing the compression. it's not a question if it was the result of compression or not, because we can compare the uncompressed to the compressed

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

a podcast for cats posted:

Apparently that Russian ship got lured into an ambush position by smaller boats and was sunk by a MLRS barrage. hosed up if true.

If this were a wargame it would be disallowed.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

evilweasel posted:

because of how these firms operate it basically means the firms in russia are gonna change their logo and name, and that's it

Each country is its own legal entity, so they can do this. It basically means cutting all of the Russian partners loose and removing access to global services: HR, IT, payroll, finance, etc. If you're a Big 4 employee in Russia, you're effectively unemployed immediately.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

evilweasel posted:

the uncompressed video is also public, twitter was the one doing the compression. it's not a question if it was the result of compression or not, because we can compare the uncompressed to the compressed

Don't almost all videos have some level of compression, otherwise they'd be absolutely enormous? But yeah, whatever it was it wasn't compression artifacts.

Either way, seems totally plausible to me that it was a remote meeting staged to look like an in person meeting. It's not really a big deal either way, just an amusement really.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

Too long with the warning :(

lol

Would abbreviating it help?

Jast saw it that works

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Anyone in tech from Europe know anything about Hetzner hosting company? People in the comments say they are sketchy/have weak security but it's waaaay outside my area.
https://twitter.com/MFA_Ukraine/status/1500899289580584962?t=TeE8MrwZ50lNrL-TCDDefQ&s=19

Weird time for this website to go down though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Relevant Tangent posted:

It seems to me that with a fantasist such as Putin in charge there's no real advantage to Ukraine in accepting realpolitik arguments.

That's the trouble with realpolitik: it only works when both sides believe in it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://twitter.com/RepDeanPhillips/status/1500131161770766336

Didn't see this here recently and I've been pretty careful to read basically everything. Marco stepping in it like the absolute LARPing goober he is

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In these dark times I think it will sooth minds to think of the more peaceful times when Putin would dance with then-foreign minister of Austria at her wedding. In 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVuM7963n20

quote:

In August 2018, she married entrepreneur Wolfgang Meilinger, 54, at a ceremony in the small town of Gamlitz, near the border with Slovenia. During the wedding, she danced with Vladimir Putin, who was in attandence, and subsequently performed a deep curtsey. Pictures of her gesture, a European foreign minister bowing in front of Putin, were widely published in Russian and international media, and sparked major outrage and criticism due to her perceived naivety.[11][12] In 2019, after a vote of no confidence ended the First Kurz government, she left political office.

In 2020, Kneissl started to contribute opinion articles to RT. She has been labeled as an advocate for the political agenda of the Kremlin.[13] Shortly before the Russian invasion of Ukraine, she dismissed intelligence reports suggesting that invasion as Western "war hysteria", blown up by the media.

In March 2021, Kneissl, who had disclosed financial problems at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic,[14] was reported to have been nominated by the Russian Government to the Board of Directors of the state gas company Rosneft.[15][16]

There are no signs of her resignation, just like Gerhard Schröder who is also staying in Rosneft.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

It's okay they have plenty of boats

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

Likely this is just more tough talk, but now Russia is apparently going to consider supplying arms to Ukraine via Poland to 'risk drawing NATO into the conflict.'

Proxy wars are only good when Russia does them, obviously.

https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/1500883158857916419?s=20&t=JPXoMaYdZrLFDvyOTdy6gw

Yeah, unless the war enters a new phase down the line of irregular warfare, and Ukraine gets to use NATO countries as staging areas for Ukrainian guerillas or something I really can't see this being anything but rhetoric. Not that NATO would even allow that scenario to begin with imo.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Weird to watch russia apparently adopt retroactive GWB-style War Of Liberation bullshit.

They'll be finding the WMD's any day now

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Threadkiller Dog posted:

No,.I think I did that once in Civ 2

Ukraine just needs a phalanx unit

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PerilPastry posted:

Yeah, unless the war enters a new phase down the line of irregular warfare, and Ukraine gets to use NATO countries as staging areas for Ukrainian guerillas or something I really can't see this being anything but rhetoric. Not that NATO would even allow that scenario to begin with imo.

"Beware, our military current struggling to handle militia and guard units could turn its gaze on you!" - Lavrov

Somewhere, a bunch of EU/NATO/US commanders just started laughing for no reason. That's the thing: Both Russia's soft power AND its military image is utterly destroyed, even if they win this in the long run.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No,.I think I did that once in Civ 2

Ukraine just needs a phalanx unit

I've love to see the US provide them some Point Defense systems.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kavros posted:

Weird to watch russia apparently adopt retroactive GWB-style War Of Liberation bullshit.

It's perfect, because they can say "aha, but where were you in 2003 when--" while all their fuel trucks get blown up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kavros posted:

I think it's fairly deliberate. When your position had no merit, just highlight the other side's hypocrisy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's the trouble with realpolitik: it only works when both sides believe in it.
Well, both side have to believe in it, AND have an accurate understanding of the power of the other side.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Kavros posted:

Russia has a charming history of "we suck, so does America, who cares" -- I'm always reminded of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_you_are_lynching_Negroes

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

In social media news Telegram is one of the last independent social media sites standing in Russia, and the government there has reportedly been wavering on whether to pull the plug on it or not. The founder and CEO of Telegram is from Russia originally and put out a wishy-washy statement earlier in the war. Seems like his position has firmed, and he's pro-Ukrainian.
https://twitter.com/etbrooking/status/1500891610019676171?s=20&t=YNPZExzM3nduCVK3Wa06Cw
I didn't know this guy had founded VK.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It's okay they have plenty of boats

hosed up in the impressively ingenious sense of the word.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There's an interesting snippet from the UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss where she admits they've been planning for this since the end of last year.

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1500900513705041931

e: Sorry, I wasn't aware that it was known about back then. My bad.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 7, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Play posted:

Is dressing up in the other side's uniforms like, acceptable overall? Are there any treaties or anything preventing that?

It's explicitly a war crime and it would also probably understandably have them treat you like a spy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KitConstantine posted:

In social media news Telegram is one of the last independent social media sites standing in Russia, and the government there has reportedly been wavering on whether to pull the plug on it or not. The founder and CEO of Telegram is from Russia originally and put out a wishy-washy statement earlier in the war. Seems like his position has firmed, and he's pro-Ukrainian.
https://twitter.com/etbrooking/status/1500891610019676171?s=20&t=YNPZExzM3nduCVK3Wa06Cw
I didn't know this guy had founded VK.

There's some concern Telegram is tapped by the Russian intelligence groups, so there may be an ulterior motive here to get Ukrainians on Telegram...

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

I hope someone goes down there with a dive camera and takes pictures of the wreck because I want Oryx to add a new category.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 7, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Obviously, no one wants to find out but I'm sure people must be wondering about the state of Russia's nuclear arsenal if their regular military vehicles are so poorly maintained.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

freeasinbeer posted:

Yes; either the Russians don’t grok how much the rest of Europe has unified against it, or it’s banking on the it’s NATOs fault/one sided pacifists gaining ground as gas prices go up or Europe’s economy suffers.
Thanks. For a second there I thought the Russians really wanted to provoke NATO with that stupid 'threat'. Using tough talk hoping to spook the fearful has always been Russia's modus.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Play posted:

Is dressing up in the other side's uniforms like, acceptable overall? Are there any treaties or anything preventing that?

no, you can be executed for that under the geneva conventions

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Play posted:

Don't almost all videos have some level of compression, otherwise they'd be absolutely enormous? But yeah, whatever it was it wasn't compression artifacts.

Either way, seems totally plausible to me that it was a remote meeting staged to look like an in person meeting. It's not really a big deal either way, just an amusement really.

Just to clarify, the previous poster means the uncompressed original video is out there and Putin's hand doesn't pass through the microphone in it, so we know with complete certainty that it *is* a compression artifact.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Anubis posted:

11,000 gallons of fuel. At $3 a gallon they just blew up about 5 million rubles worth of fuel.

Knowing the incredible state of the military-industrial kleptocracy, I'll take the under on 11,000 gallons.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

In Phase 1, we will analyze the current state of Russo-Ukrainian control.
In Phase 2, we will develop a strategy which will help you realize your vision for a pan-slavic Russian Empire.
In Phase 3, we will socialize this strategy with key stakeholders. Because you're an autocracy, this phase will be very short because it's basically just a meeting with Putin where we tell him what he wants to hear.

Also, due to current economic uncertainty fees for our professional services are due prior to project start.

Here is a invoice of $5,000,000 and pretty PowerPoint slides.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I was leaning in on military sim = "video game", rather than the veteran part. Just a joke anyway.

I was an advisor on Full Spectrum Command (a recreation of the Ft. Brag military operations in an urban environment training thing). Company commander stuff.

The thing I learned from that? Small drones are very useful for knowing where people are. We had them as a “2020 option” in thje sim and it changed the results greatly.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

fuctifino posted:

There's an interesting snippet from the UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss where she admits they've been planning for this since the end of last year.

That was when they first learned that Russia planned to occupy Voronezh and Rostov.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Forgive me if this question is inappropriate, but I watched all of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXEvbVoDiU0

And I really enjoyed listening to an informative, mature look at the war / military history / economical history.

Are there other channels on youtube with content like this? I'd go looking myself but it's very difficult to parse what's worth my time and what isn't, especially in political youtube.

Yeah, that was a good watch. Shout out to the guy with the Jean Luc Picard portrait in the background.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

PerilPastry posted:

OMG the same Russian Ambassador to the UK who made the ~implications~ about NATO earlier today is now whining about how his office is getting threats.
https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/1500903516075929617?s=20&t=wJO_pAN6jCV4RU39CrRxYQ
Farcical

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

fuctifino posted:

This isn’t news though? Even the Wikipedia page says Russia has been planning this since 2021.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021-2022_Russo-Ukrainian_crisis

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Play posted:

evilweasel posted:

no, you can be executed for that under the geneva conventions

The US went pretty hard on this during the Battle of the Bulge in WWII after it caught Germans putting on US uniforms and engaging in sabotage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Greif

quote:

Pernass, Billing, and Schmidt were given a military trial at Henri-Chapelle on 21 December and were sentenced to death; they were executed by a firing squad on 23 December. Three more Germans were also tried on 23 December and shot at Henri-Chapelle on 26 December, seven more men were tried on 26 December and executed at Henri-Chapelle on 30 December, and three others were tried on 31 December and executed at Huy on 13 January 1945. These executions were carried out by the U.S. First Army. All of these commissions were appointed by Lieutenant General Courtney Hodges, commanding general of the U.S. First Army pursuant to authority delegated to him by General Omar Bradley, Commanding General of the Twelfth U.S. Army Group on the instructions of General Dwight Eisenhower, commanding the European Theater of Operations, United States Army.

The team's leader of Operation Greif, Günther Schulz, was tried by a military commission sometime in May 1945 and executed near the German city of Braunschweig on 14 June. It is not known why his trial was delayed until May 1945, and it is unclear who ordered his death sentence to be carried out. His execution was carried out by the U.S. Ninth Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Ukraine sinks Russian Naval ship using motorcycle and road flags