Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Crazypoops posted:

I want to drop people like this in the middle of the jungle to test thier fitness for survival

I want to drop people like that in the middle of an industrial meat grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

GOP media interactions are coordinated and centrally controlled, if Florida is doing this while Texas is embarking on the transgendered teen abduction campaign you’ve got to figure that the party leaders have decided lgbtq hate is a winning strategy that is going to work for them and they’re going to start leaning a lot harder on it before too long.

zegermans posted:

It's not really a secret that they're running the same playbook on the transgendered that they ran on the gay/lesbian community

I know that this is pages ago, which isn't quite the same eternity in this thread that it used to be but still, but it is just 'transgender' not 'transgendered'. It isn't a verb except with chuds or when trans people are making weird jokes amongst ourselves.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Wrex Ruckus posted:

went to Target this morning in the DC burbs, still like ~80% customers wearing masks but workers were probably 50/50 to 2/3

what the hell, I’m guessing this is why the poo poo out of DC doesn’t align with reality.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

I went to get a Covid test today for the first time in a few months. Last time I went to this location they were just doing the saliva tests; this time it was either saliva or nasal swab and you could choose. Is there any significant reason to choose one over the other? (I ended up doing the nasal swab because I drank too much coffee this morning so my saliva was cloudy as poo poo even though I gave it over 30 minutes and drank water :sludgepal:)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So this is the first week my workplace in Florida plaguelands removing the mask requirements for both vaccinated and non-vaccinated people(Only Medium level!)

I was the only person in the whole department with a N95 after the whole new and improved CDC "Believe Science" guidance was rolled out.

Perfect timing for BA.2 becoming the most common strain over the next few weeks.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

this is some absolutely unhinged poo poo lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shiroc posted:

I know that this is pages ago, which isn't quite the same eternity in this thread that it used to be but still, but it is just 'transgender' not 'transgendered'. It isn't a verb except with chuds or when trans people are making weird jokes amongst ourselves.

Sorry!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Shiroc posted:

got it thanks

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Ah, those halcyon days.

https://twitter.com/typemitchell/status/1500510939308777481

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Clocks posted:

this is some absolutely unhinged poo poo lmao

If you think that's unhinged then get a load of today's Florida news: https://twitter.com/KirbyWTweets/status/1500872946214129703

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

McCracAttack posted:

If you think that's unhinged then get a load of today's Florida news: https://twitter.com/KirbyWTweets/status/1500872946214129703

look the virus is a very strong negotiator okay

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

McCracAttack posted:

He’s going to recommend against all vaccines soon for kids, mark my words.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Please only get the vaccine if you're already sick. I'm a doctor.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Just yesterday I was thinking about that guy who made it rain on the streets of Miami in Joker makeup. I wonder how many times he's caught it now.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hahaha my god

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 360 days!

McCracAttack posted:

tired: we're gonna redefine covid metrics
wired: we're gonna redefine "healthy"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nocturtle posted:

Coming at it from a different angle, this analysis calculated an additional 1.2 million people in the civilian institutional population with a registered disability in 2021 compared to 2020.

The implication is a large fraction of these people have a new disability due to long COVID. I don't know how long it takes to get registered as disabled, and what fraction of disabled people successfully register, but it suggests around 1 million people workers developed a disability in 2020-2021 due to long COVID. This is the conclusion of the article.

It takes a very long time and has a fairly significant failure rate. Just for clarity's sake, I am not personally disabled, I am on the other side of the desk working in Medicaid related administration for a local government. Most of my coworkers are experienced as Medicaid and Medicare frontline staff though I am not.

Usual rule of thumb is that you apply, wait about six months, get denied, apply again, then there's a non-trivial chance of success but also a chance that you get denied again and have to keep reapplying several more times. On top of this it's quite common for people to try and work through a disability, and also if a disability is partial it may not show up in those stats as many people with partial disabilities do not consider the (difficult, often humiliating) process of fighting their local government to be worth the effort. So at a glance I'd suspect this analysis 1) lags the rate at which people became disabled by COVID by a year or more 2) reflects, generously, 1/3 or less of the people who became disabled by COVID (just scan this thread for people talking about coworkers who continue to show up even with severe respiratory and memory problems that they've developed in the last two years).

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

No worries. Its a language thing but it's important with the propaganda being pushed against trans people. Instead of being trans being something people just are, the chuds want to push being trans as something being 'done to' children in order to drive it as a nefarious ideology. Since libs are dumb as gently caress when not outright transphobic themselves, they will happily embrace this kind of turn.

e:

McCracAttack posted:

This ties back to covid where vaccines are also something "done to" kids now and that they must be protected from.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
dont already have Polio? Dont get the vaccine.

Don't already have the Measles? Dont get the vaccine.

lmao Florida truly is going to bring back all childhood horrors and a whole generation of kids is gonna loving get polio and the measles and covid etc and be crippled forever.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
shocking revelations

https://twitter.com/SaskiaPopescu/status/1500731435996614656?t=W1O1SDEWHGA_bCFBofjL8g&s=19

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Just imagine living in or visiting Florida lmfao. That’s what they want and that’s what they’re going to get when they’re last in education and first in pediatric deaths.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

McCracAttack posted:

are there any healthy children in Florida?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

McCracAttack posted:

The Rabies and Polio State

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

also an ancedote about the state of the labor market - I have a bachelor's in chemistry, and posted a resume trying to get chemist jobs almost a decade ago on monster, and I gave up on that career path cuz I sucked at it and went into social science academia. That resume stopped getting hits before I started grad school, over 9 years ago.

I've gotten 6 requests to interview for chemist positions based on that resume since new years. I can only imagine the quality of lab techs must have loving cratered if a guy who hasn't had relative job experience in a decade is looking attractive.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

McCracAttack posted:

Jesus, and I mean Jesus H. loving Christ.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
My chud sister only got her kids the regular vaccinations when the school forced her to

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

i can't wait to escape this state

Glumwheels posted:

Just imagine living in or visiting Florida lmfao. That’s what they want and that’s what they’re going to get when they’re last in education and first in pediatric deaths.

ha ha, yeah! imagine! imagine the poor souls unlucky enough to be born there!

:smith:

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

I've been unemployed for 2 years and out of an office for 5 and this is making me see red and want to take a swing at people.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We're mentally ill great apes that take great pleasure in inflicting needless harm on each other.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mdemone posted:

Jesus, and I mean Jesus H. loving Christ.

You know next up with other vaccines like MMR

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

The demon sperm doctor was hired by DeSantis to do exactly what he’s doing and drive a wedge on COVID issues and show how Florida is standing up against COVID misinformation etc.

However, it doesn’t matter because lots of people are not vaccinating their kids regardless what he and other say. In Florida it was never going to be mandated or suggested. It’s going to still come down to parents who care about their kids be those who don’t and are surprised when their kid dies or winds up with diabetes down the road or whatever other long COVID issues.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Nocturtle posted:

The possibility that SARs-COV-2 potentially persists in certain tissues and bodily reservoirs is something I hadn't paid attention to in the past, in part because the acute phase of the disease was bad enough but also because the majority of people appeared to fully recover from infection and presumably cleared the virus. However observations of potential viral persistence keeps coming up in PASC research with speculation that this could help explain long-term symptoms in at least some people. Here's one example, from a review article:

There are many others, and people itt have sporadically posted similar observations too.

The prospect that someone infected with SARs-COV-2 could potentially be permanently infected is a possibility I can't evaluate, as I'm not a virologist or immunologist or knowledgeable at all. However it appears to be more than a theoretical possibility at this time, and if it turns out to be true the current normalization of "non-severe" infections is even more horrendous.

Also would be bad news for China's zero-COVID strategy if every former COVID patient is a potential new patient-zero.

Covid is stored in the balls, like ebola

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

WampaLord posted:

i can't wait to escape this state

ha ha, yeah! imagine! imagine the poor souls unlucky enough to be born there!

:smith:

I've lived in various parts of the southern US my whole life and even lovely states like Florida are full of people who want things to change and don't deserve the treatment their government inflicts. The Georgia election results in 2020 even showed those folks might be in the majority but voter suppression and general Republican fuckery keeps things the way they are.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
My SIL and BIL sent their 8 year old back to in-person school today after two years of home schooling and actual agonizing about the situation, with the rule that she has to keep her mask on at all times and that they'd take her out of school every day for lunch.

SIL apparently has been part of a lawsuit against the district to make masks mandatory, and they'd hired a lawyer who had been been successful in the past. The CDC redefinition just destroyed their case.

Update halfway through day 1 - her daughter and the teacher are the only people in the class wearing masks and there's no distancing / ventilation efforts at all. Cafeteria is apparently packed with unmasked kids sitting shoulder to shoulder, no doors or windows open and no CORSI cubes.

Thank god the adults are back in charge though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

I've lived in various parts of the southern US my whole life and even lovely states like Florida are full of people who want things to change and don't deserve the treatment their government inflicts. The Georgia election results in 2020 even showed those folks might be in the majority but voter suppression and general Republican fuckery keeps things the way they are.

no, you see, once a state votes 51% republican, you can feel free to write off everyone who lives there as a worthless chud who's getting what they voted for

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

I'm fascinated that even when I post stuff about masks on social media with few/no tags and no followers I still get people coming out of the woodwork to tell me how over covid is and how sad, fake, and/or funny my opinions are. How are they even finding me? Bots with algorithms I guess?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WampaLord posted:

no, you see, once a state votes 51% republican, you can feel free to write off everyone who lives there as a worthless chud who's getting what they voted for

well most of the rest of the voters are liberals so yeah

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

No, we deserve every last bit of it, trust me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joethesurly
Mar 10, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

my partner works as a para at a public k-12 school so she has to more or less do whatever the administrators and kids are swinging towards... and I don't really blame her for being under those circumstances. There is no doubt that we are days or weeks away from the school being completely maskless.

We both think it's important to work at public schools and do this kind of work so it's hard to decide to switch careers at this point.

but starting to get the sense that the true believers working in education are going to be more like true bag holders

I don't want to sound too doomer but... Do not be cowed into doing important public services without the protections for you and your loved ones. We are currently going through a huge purge of public services, either through old school "starve the beast" defunding or tossing hot button social issues into institutions like frag grenades. No party is willing or able to stop this, leaving people like you who want to do real good to burnout, go broke, or in the case of COVID getting maimed or killed.

With that in mind, definitely keep an open mind to do jobs that provide for your community AND keep you safe (plague safe and financially)... But in y'all's position now you can be surprised what you can do by pushing hard. Saying "I need to wear a N95/respirator for my health and safety, no I will not eat while watching 300 kids" is not a impossible stance for most schools to work around, and will really lower your chances of getting COVID even if everyone else is mask free. And if they can't even bend a little for that.... you know they do not have your long term interest in being a asset to your kids/community in mind.

I say all this because you, your partner, and people like you are immeasurably important. And people like you are dying/being disabled at a rate that is simply unforgivable. Protect yourself so you can be there in the future.

All I can think of a 27 year old teacher in my area that died of COVID last month. She had a newborn child (Sorry for the wonky url)
https://kdhnews.com/news/education/kisd-teacher-new-mom-dies-after-covid-19-battle/article_88525b06-8dd9-11ec-a1be-73928106f0ea.html

You got to be firm on your safety and wellbeing, because you can't help anyone in the back of a freezer truck.