Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
The act of being born in Florida confers a birthright guilt that can only be assuaged by suffering the fate of being a Floridian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1500629804504264706?t=4o8gguvCypAnneIDV5YI7g&s=19
https://twitter.com/CDCDirector/status/1500642120620773377?t=SX15dkflQsTax8y2bdnzKQ&s=19

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

WampaLord posted:

no, you see, once a state votes 51% republican, you can feel free to write off everyone who lives there as a worthless chud who's getting what they voted for

I grew up in Florida and Georgia so I feel this hard

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

T-Paine posted:

The act of being born in Florida confers a birthright guilt that can only be assuaged by suffering the fate of being a Floridian

so Florida is purgatory

yeah, this tracks

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

T-Paine posted:

My response to this is 99% of black people in the south aren't there because they wanted to get away from harsh winters.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I hope they all get infected and suffer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’ve posted about this previously but one of the metrics I track at my job is childhood immunization

https://www.ncqa.org/hedis/measures/childhood-immunization-status/

Numbers for 2021 aren’t final but they are bad

For some reason the anti-Covid vaccination poo poo is being deliberately pushed into abolishing all childhood vaccination. It’s an intentional strategy.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

my partner works as a para at a public k-12 school so she has to more or less do whatever the administrators and kids are swinging towards... and I don't really blame her for being under those circumstances. There is no doubt that we are days or weeks away from the school being completely maskless.

We both think it's important to work at public schools and do this kind of work so it's hard to decide to switch careers at this point.

but starting to get the sense that the true believers working in education are going to be more like true bag holders

Is the para position through the school or is your partner contracted by the school district. Is it a union position.

Otherwise, I feel this, sorry. I don't know if I'm a true believer anymore. It's hard for me to take school wide initiatives like social emotional learning and positive behavior interventions and supports seriously. Nobody wants to discuss how difficult it is to keep these schools open while this virus is spreading. It makes me feel crazy.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

McCracAttack posted:

If you think that's unhinged then get a load of today's Florida news: https://twitter.com/KirbyWTweets/status/1500872946214129703

my friends sister has decided over the last 5 years that owning the libs is her personality and 6 months ago moved from Wisconsin to Florida with her kid and husband. Grandma made sure that before the kid got out of reach he'd gotten his two shots and I can say for certain that if she hadn't that kid would never have gotten vaccinated.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I’ve posted about this previously but one of the metrics I track at my job is childhood immunization

For some reason the anti-Covid vaccination poo poo is being deliberately pushed into abolishing all childhood vaccination. It’s an intentional strategy.

“For some reason”

We know the reason, the republicans are looking for whatever socia issues they can to drive wedges between people and have latched on to the anti-vaccine movement which wasn’t just about covid but all vaccines. So they’ve now become the party against childhood vaccines too and they’re elevating that Kennedy moron.

But also the CDC did everything possible to aid them by losing peoples trust.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Greg Legg posted:

Nobody wants to discuss how difficult it is to keep these schools open while this virus is spreading. It makes me feel crazy.

yeah, Covid responses make me feel like I’m being gaslit all the time

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

trump was mainlining antivax way before covid

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

“For some reason”

We know the reason, the republicans are looking for whatever socia issues they can to drive wedges between people and have latched on to the anti-vaccine movement which wasn’t just about covid but all vaccines. So they’ve now become the party against childhood vaccines too and they’re elevating that Kennedy moron.

But also the CDC did everything possible to aid them by losing peoples trust.

Killing your own voting base with misinformation seems counterproductive to me but I’m not a big smart fancy political strategist

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Greg Legg posted:

Nobody wants to discuss how difficult it is to keep these schools open while this virus is spreading. It makes me feel crazy.

viruses spreading is just part of life, and always has been, there's nothing anyone can do about it and we've always gotten along fine before. tra-la-la-la-la

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

I've lived in various parts of the southern US my whole life and even lovely states like Florida are full of people who want things to change and don't deserve the treatment their government inflicts. The Georgia election results in 2020 even showed those folks might be in the majority but voter suppression and general Republican fuckery keeps things the way they are.

in 2010 or 2011 i went to Lakeland loving Florida on a business trip for an internship and met a local girl who was basically the first person to introduce me to any leftist thought. wonder how she's doing.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

we actually had a measles outbreak in 2019 due to small communities of parents deliberately refusing to vaccinate their kids with anything because of the prevalence of this antivaxxer sentiment

lol again with the bizarroworld reflections. this sounds exactly like crunchy hippie moms here and, also, the NHL i guess

quote:

vaccine stuff

sigh, unfortunately antivax sentiment does make more sense to me in the context of ph after dengvaxia, but i'm glad that it's on the mend, so to speak. i'm a little surprised duterte himself got on board but, well, better than the alternative

quote:

face shield stuff

ohhhhhhhhh lol so that's the reason. my closest friend there was understandably extremely eye-rolly about the requirement but never explained the suspected grift going on to motivate it. incredible lol

quote:

mask stuff

yeah i guess it's good that one pretty noticeable difference in my not-so-great understanding of ph vs. us politics is the lack of "oppositional-defiant personality disorder as a political ideology" which has led to much greater acceptance of masking (despite the several official exemptions you noted). i also wonder -- without solid evidence to back me up -- if people in countries whose health care systems are under-resourced (less oxygen, fewer beds, etc.) are more likely to be active proponents of masking because they see that as their "last line of defense," whereas rich country residents see the ICU as their "last line of defense" as if they're entitled to it -- as stupid as it is.

anyway, thanks for the ph update as always. btw, what do you think the actual honest-count-of-votes would look like right now for the presidential election (specifically bbm vs. leni)?

Soap Scum fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 7, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

WampaLord posted:

no, you see, once a state votes 51% republican, you can feel free to write off everyone who lives there as a worthless chud who's getting what they voted for

I feel like i wear myself out reminding people that a very very good amount of people in the south straight up legallly cannot vote because states like MS have literally given 25% of the black men there felonies over dumb racist bullshit. It's incredibly difficult to get the ability to vote back too in many states. I think Florida still requires you to "pay all the restitution" which could be insane poo poo.

this also leads into - anyone who says stupid poo poo like VOTE needs to get punched in the tits/nads repeately cause it literally cannot fix these problems.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 7, 2022

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Killing your own voting base with misinformation seems counterproductive to me but I’m not a big smart fancy political strategist

Republicans don't need votes to win elections. If they let 10,000 CHUDs die that just means they have to suppress 11,000 more votes.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

trump was mainlining antivax way before covid

many such cases

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CDC hosed up by playing politics rather than sticking to cold risk numbers.

They started treating themselves as a risk acceptance / risk management agency. They aren't. They are capable of providing data used in the calculus of risk acceptance. Nothing more.

The obvious problem, of course, is that providing just that rate of risk information means that the public can double check their data and call any agency making the actual risk acceptance decisions (the White House, for example) on their bullshit. There is a very specific reason why this administration moved our risk acceptance decisions largely away from other agencies and into the same house that can see and massage the raw data.

As an aside, if you work for a company that starts to shuttle risk acceptance stakeholders anyway from a distributed model through the business and towards a concentrated area or sphere of influence, just make sure that your resume is up to date.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 7, 2022

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

They do whatever it takes to get into power then change the rules to keep themselves in power, they don’t care if 100k chuds die if they make it harder to vote or give power to election boards and legislature to just overturn the vote counts.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tl;dr risk acceptance work had to be moved into the CDC at the last minute because other agencies have some very strict frameworks for what constitutes acceptable risk in the workplace

that was a legal can of worms that Capital could not risk opening

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Glumwheels posted:

They do whatever it takes to get into power then change the rules to keep themselves in power, they don’t care if 100k chuds die if they make it harder to vote or give power to election boards and legislature to just overturn the vote counts.

It's not so different than the "Scorched earth" nature of capitalism

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Chicago rolling back the mask mandate in schools that teachers won during the January lockout
https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1500920874446241794?s=20&t=93ZIcxW2DW0DSfegOApx0Q

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Atrocious Joe posted:

Chicago rolling back the mask mandate in schools that teachers won during the January lockout
https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1500920874446241794?s=20&t=93ZIcxW2DW0DSfegOApx0Q

It's a shame that 21st century Chicago politicians will only play hardball when it comes to opportunities to screw the common citizen :obama:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

his pinned tweet is amazing https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1498396200042651655

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Atrocious Joe posted:

never negotiate with liberals

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

I mean, gently caress it, why not? Anyone who survives into adulthood is going to be crippled from COVID anyway, what's one more maiming going to do?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Wasn't feeling well and took a sick day today, everything going on in the world plus covid and work bullshit is so loving grinding and fatiguing, even doing computer touchering

and hanging over it all is that if you lose your job, you lose your health insurance

I'm so loving tired, America is such a callously cruel place

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

ex post facho posted:

Wasn't feeling well and took a sick day today, everything going on in the world plus covid and work bullshit is so loving grinding and fatiguing, even doing computer touchering

and hanging over it all is that if you lose your job, you lose your health insurance

I feel you. I think it's the coldness of the cruelty that gets to me. Like if you're going to try and maim and murder me, at least have the honesty to do it to my face. At least the fascists on 4chan are honest and open that they want me and everyone like me to suffer and die. I'm sick of Biden and Wallensky gaslighting me while they twist the knife.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

kreeningsons posted:

woke up today with some loving sinus thing after spending last week in the office during an inspection from our regulators, which means there were 3x more people than normal there. as usual my mask discipline is 110% and i had my envo on at all times.

ihealth rapid test is negative.

that means what, like a 50% chance i don't have covid?

kreeningsons posted:

oh cool my gf has also had a sinus thing since wednesday, she just never told me

update my PCR and her two rapid tests were negative. i guess it was something else. it doesn't give me a lot of confidence that something less than the fastest spreading disease known to man, has somehow gotten to me.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

ex post facho posted:

:same: though I didn't take a sick day and kinda wish I had.

Hope you get to do some things that bring you comfort today.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

case rates in my small-ish, very very blue city have doubled from ~30 per 100k to ~65 per 100k in the last few weeks

the largest university system here responded by dropping its mask mandate today lol everything is SO STUPID

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Soap Scum posted:

case rates in my small-ish, very very blue city have doubled from ~30 per 100k to ~65 per 100k in the last few weeks

the largest university system here responded by dropping its mask mandate today lol everything is SO STUPID

it's really odd how a really high risk of being killed or knocked out of commission for four to infinity weeks has been redefined as "low," now.

and people just accept it! it's stunning! we're so stupid!

Insanite fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 7, 2022

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Insanite posted:

it's really odd how a really high risk of killed or knocked out of commission for four to infinity weeks has been redefined as "low," now.

the justification that they sent to anyone affiliated with the university made absolutely NO reference to case counts, trends, risk levels, or anything else. it was very literally: "the city said that we could, so we did" (but with a few more words to sound formal and poo poo)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1500864765895143427

Place yer bets!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Insanite posted:

it's really odd how a really high risk of killed or knocked out of commission for four to infinity weeks has been redefined as "low," now.

My expertise is antiquity, although I'm reasonably knowledgeable about a lot of history, but has there ever been in all of human history a time when there was a plague and the collective reaction of the affected society was to at best do nothing and at worst start actively trying to spread it around? I'm unable to think of any. Like obviously lots of pre-modern societies had some unusual - to put it mildly - ideas about what caused disease and how to get rid of it, but 'I bet if we murder the local Jews God will stop the black death' is at least showing an awareness that the Black Death is bad and should be avoided and that steps should be taken to combat it, even if those steps were insane and murderous.

Like I am honestly unaware of any precedent. It's straight up autogenocide.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

hey look i found a picture of the administrators

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

57% of people who have not yet contracted the virus as far as they know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

57% of people in the US have never gotten COVID? Lol I have felt like a weirdo for having avoided it so far.