Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

Aw man, my lil buddy has FIV and I worry about keeping him healthy. Given the number of cat owners out there I'm surprised it's still semi-difficult to find much info regarding covid outcomes in domestic animals. Or maybe I'm just bad at finding it.

the CDC cleared it all up for everyone so it didn't need to be discussed

1) don't put a mask on your cat
2) don't wash your cat in bleach
3) wash your hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kylaer posted:

Unless masks are actually banned, your statement isn't true. Someone who is immunocompromised and/or at risk of severe disease can visit a museum while wearing an elastomeric respirator and be completely safe. It doesn't matter how much covid would wreck you once it gets inside you if it never gets inside you, and covid is not magic. It must obey the laws of physics. It cannot pass through a P100 filter.

I'm terribly disappointed that the discourse in this thread has shifted from "Only trust your respirator" to "You can't trust your respirator."

Most people are really uneducated about PPE, there never was anything from authorities as to PPE education, it's just "wear a mask, now don't"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Hadlock posted:

Besides hong kong are there any other active BA.2 outbreaks? Is that what's going on in Utah right now?

Denmark; for the last couple of months...

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

My expertise is antiquity, although I'm reasonably knowledgeable about a lot of history, but has there ever been in all of human history a time when there was a plague and the collective reaction of the affected society was to at best do nothing and at worst start actively trying to spread it around? I'm unable to think of any. Like obviously lots of pre-modern societies had some unusual - to put it mildly - ideas about what caused disease and how to get rid of it, but 'I bet if we murder the local Jews God will stop the black death' is at least showing an awareness that the Black Death is bad and should be avoided and that steps should be taken to combat it, even if those steps were insane and murderous.

Like I am honestly unaware of any precedent. It's straight up autogenocide.

during the Plague of Venice 1629-1631 the city's burgeoning capitalists kept trying to make people live life as normal until they couldn't ignore it anymore.

Manzoni's "The Betrothed" has a great section on the same plague in Milan at a street's eye view.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kylaer posted:

Unless masks are actually banned, your statement isn't true. Someone who is immunocompromised and/or at risk of severe disease can visit a museum while wearing an elastomeric respirator and be completely safe. It doesn't matter how much covid would wreck you once it gets inside you if it never gets inside you, and covid is not magic. It must obey the laws of physics. It cannot pass through a P100 filter.

I'm terribly disappointed that the discourse in this thread has shifted from "Only trust your respirator" to "You can't trust your respirator."

Only trust your respirator but people feel a lot less pressure to unmask if they have an option available where they can choose activities where other people will be wearing masks. Plus if everyone else is masked the overall risk of their being clouds of COVID floating around are a lot lower so you're putting less stress on your own mask seal.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Iron Crowned posted:

Most people are really uneducated about PPE, there never was anything from authorities as to PPE education, it's just "wear a mask, now don't"

Right, but it's doom crew posters in this very thread who are saying it. Unless I misunderstood op's point, which is possible.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

we have got to get to the bottom of this

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Back from Costco, like 1 out of 30 people masked

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Thoguh posted:

Only trust your respirator but people feel a lot less pressure to unmask if they have an option available where they can choose activities where other people will be wearing masks. Plus if everyone else is masked the overall risk of their being clouds of COVID floating around are a lot lower so you're putting less stress on your own mask seal.

First point is certainly true, but it's an alternative fact; a mask unworn offering no protection doesn't have any bearing on what a worn mask provides. Second point isn't true. It doesn't matter how much covid is in the air if you're wearing an elastomeric with P100 filters, none of it is getting through your filter. Look at the track record of that TB hospital where there has never been a case of a worker catching TB in two and a half decades with universal elastomeric use.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Back from Costco, like 1 out of 30 people masked

CDC approving the "Mother may I" sure is working out great.

So a few weeks until BA.2 becomes the dominant strain?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

we have got to get to the bottom of this

Done.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

So far a grand total of 0 people in my life, friends or otherwise, are comfortable seeing me or hanging out with me in a respirator(husband was briefly on board, but prefers N95s). I mean I guess I could go to the museum or the zoo if I wanted to be alone and to feel like one of the exhibits. I used to enjoy doing more stuff alone, actually. But I don't enjoy being stared at or pestered when I'm just trying to look at a cool bird.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

etalian posted:

CDC approving the "Mother may I" sure is working out great.

So a few weeks until BA.2 becomes the dominant strain?

it's about 8-10% of cases as of 2/26, and those are reported cases which means it's a lagging indicator.

the Nowcast is waiting to update for last week's totals.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Kylaer posted:

First point is certainly true, but it's an alternative fact; a mask unworn offering no protection doesn't have any bearing on what a worn mask provides. Second point isn't true. It doesn't matter how much covid is in the air if you're wearing an elastomeric with P100 filters, none of it is getting through your filter. Look at the track record of that TB hospital where there has never been a case of a worker catching TB in two and a half decades with universal elastomeric use.

Impressive redtext/post synergy

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Kylaer posted:

Can't you be infected with covid through your eyes?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I simply would like to have the options other than "wear a big respirator that stands out a huge amount" and "not be able to do anything without accepting a risk of catching COVID" but I guess maybe that's just me.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

facetoucher cat posted:

Can't you be infected with covid through your eyes?

no. there was research showing that the virions would have to be traveling at dumbass speeds* to lodge in your eye goop

* I am a physicist; this is a well-known technical term

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Kylaer posted:

You're talking about ideal circumstances. I'm saying we're going from a situation where it is a shared responsibility to minimize spread to one where the onus is only on the mask wearer. And not only that, other people going masks off makes the background risk of a personal mask failure go up exponentially. Especially since most people don't have elastomerics and are probably lucky to have a supply of N95s.

I only in my respirator trust as someone at risk of severe disease, but I'm also not going to sit and watch Batman for 2 hours in a confined space with maskless people just because I am capable of doing so under ideal circumstances. A mask is just one NPI among many. That's the stupid part about my post, really. People who don't want to get sick weren't going to museums before they went masks optional either.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nocturtle posted:

Looking at the raw BLS data is interesting:

American workers without a disability:

American workers with a disability:

Definitely looks like the total labor force without disability is down ~2 million since the start of the pandemic, while the number of workers with disability is up roughly 1 million.

This is super handwaving, but it's compatible with at least 1% of the 100 million infected US workers registering a disability post COVID infection and maaaaybe up to another 1% dropping out because they're no longer able to work. Or maybe died. Given that there are apparently ~10 million unfilled positions at present it doesn't look like this drop in labor participation could be entirely explained by job losses from pandemic related economic disruption.

This is fantastic insight, thanks. One million workers developing a significant disability post COVID infection is probably the lower bound, given that's the number that were actually recognized.

I'm going to guess that if we were to view disability as a real phenomena e.g. actual loss or impairment of function, 10-20 million might be the realistic estimate so far. Americans are devastatingly unwilling to acknowledge that they're disabled, I had a client who was insistent on looking for work as a janitor and not filing for disability when he was regularly passing out from hypotension. Americans generally only file for disability when they already can't hold a job for an extended period of time, and employers are so horny to rewind to 2019 that they're willing to accept workers showing up to work basically drunk on hypoxia.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

My expertise is antiquity, although I'm reasonably knowledgeable about a lot of history, but has there ever been in all of human history a time when there was a plague and the collective reaction of the affected society was to at best do nothing and at worst start actively trying to spread it around? I'm unable to think of any. Like obviously lots of pre-modern societies had some unusual - to put it mildly - ideas about what caused disease and how to get rid of it, but 'I bet if we murder the local Jews God will stop the black death' is at least showing an awareness that the Black Death is bad and should be avoided and that steps should be taken to combat it, even if those steps were insane and murderous.

Like I am honestly unaware of any precedent. It's straight up autogenocide.

I watched steamy 17th century nun drama Benedetta recently and it dealt a lot with the plague. for sure, the collective reaction of the town to the plague was to seal off the walls and murder any plague bearers that attempted to enter. the institution of the catholic church was not in line with this and through their influence successfully infiltrated the town and started a small outbreak, though. i'm not sure how much of this is fact because the entire story is steeped in mysticism and legend. the movie was pretty good though.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Thoguh posted:

I simply would like to have the options other than "wear a big respirator that stands out a huge amount" and "not be able to do anything without accepting a risk of catching COVID" but I guess maybe that's just me.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

lol, terrifying :rubby:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

Does evushield even work anymore? Sorry if posted already

It essentially does not work on Omicron Classic. I've seen two directly conflicting studies one saying it works still on BA.2 and one saying it does not. It still worked somewhat on Delta, hard to say if it will work on hypothetical Deltacron variants if they show up.
In general, study size for evusheld was not huge, and wasn't specifically targeting immunocompromised people, yet it's only being given to immunocompromised people. So study size for them was extremely small.
It also brings up questions of what happens if a new mRNA vax comes out that you want... your cells will pump out spike proteins that could be neutralized by the evusheld instead of producing an immune response. Of course a new vax would presumably be spikes that evusheld are not a good match for.

All that said, I went ahead and got my first dose a few weeks ago. FDA has since doubled up the dosing and told people who got 150mg ea to go back and get a second to bring them up to 300mg ea. So I'm headed back Friday for that.
It's definitely a last line of defense thing, not at all a magic bullet. But most people who qualify for it probably understand that and are not heading to Applebees anytime soon.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

mdemone posted:

no. there was research showing that the virions would have to be traveling at dumbass speeds* to lodge in your eye goop

* I am a physicist; this is a well-known technical term

So someone sneezing in your face or rubbing your eyes?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7882915/

Also I'm loling bc my ex is a physicist and used that term

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Thoguh posted:

It's certainly not just you. I don't like wearing the respirator. But I wear it, because what you describe are exactly the two options I have. There are no others. I could wear Auras, I suppose, they're also very good, but I'm partial to being able to seal-check quickly and easily with an elastomeric.

Teenage Riot posted:

Impressive redtext/post synergy

I am nothing if not consistent.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

facetoucher cat posted:

So someone sneezing in your face or rubbing your eyes?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7882915/

Also I'm loling bc my ex is a physicist and used that term

I can't find that paper I was referencing, but I seem to recall they found that unrealistic speeds would be required.

the article in your link talks about a guy who "wore his mask perfectly on a plane" and still popped.

that ain't eyes. that's probability.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
My favorite technical term for fast speeds is "mach oh my god"

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

listen... gently caress this guy... i hope i am never in his situation... but gently caress this guy

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Strep Vote posted:

lol, terrifying :rubby:

"just the flu"

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

kreeningsons posted:

I watched steamy 17th century nun drama Benedetta recently and it dealt a lot with the plague. for sure, the collective reaction of the town to the plague was to seal off the walls and murder any plague bearers that attempted to enter. the institution of the catholic church was not in line with this and through their influence successfully infiltrated the town and started a small outbreak, though. i'm not sure how much of this is fact because the entire story is steeped in mysticism and legend. the movie was pretty good though.

Wtf why did nobody tell me Paul Verhoeven made a lesbian nun movie??

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Tulip posted:

also an ancedote about the state of the labor market - I have a bachelor's in chemistry, and posted a resume trying to get chemist jobs almost a decade ago on monster, and I gave up on that career path cuz I sucked at it and went into social science academia. That resume stopped getting hits before I started grad school, over 9 years ago.

I've gotten 6 requests to interview for chemist positions based on that resume since new years. I can only imagine the quality of lab techs must have loving cratered if a guy who hasn't had relative job experience in a decade is looking attractive.
Yes, my previous and current employers (both make wet chemistry-based medical tests) are having a super fun lols time finding lab techs. Director-level people are having to get into the labs for the first time in years. Some people my last job hired had zero pipetting experience because covid hit in their last two years of college so they never had any in-person labs.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
well, My University Employer has just announced we're going mask-optional, test-optional next week, and as an instructor, i'm not allowed to require masks in the classroom

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

HoAssHo posted:

what you don't follow jizzwitch on Twitter

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Petey posted:

well, My University Employer has just announced we're going mask-optional, test-optional next week, and as an instructor, i'm not allowed to require masks in the classroom

I thought my university was being stupid by going masks only on during class but yeah just open up let it rip

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Petey posted:

i cant require you to wear masks, but everyone who does gets one free pass on any exam

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

pissinthewind posted:

i cant require you to wear masks, but everyone who does gets one free pass on any exam

:hmmyes:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

HoAssHo posted:

oh yeah that's the other reason to not take this movie as historical fact lol

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04569-5

Covid makes brain bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This updates tomorrow regarding BA.2

I wish it did state by state instead of HHS region (because i disagree with the HHS region breakdown) but it matches with the maps i've been doing of admissions and hospitalizations.