Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wukong peeing on Buddha's hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

It's very funny that you think Journey to the West could be read in a week.

I mean, you would have to spend literally the entire week reading but I’m not technically wrong!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i was actually gonna ask if any of you knew if wukong had lightning invulnerability as an ability. i guess if he did it'd have been discussed but one thing that keeps feeling weird to me is how, despite all this nonsense about potentially luffy's fruit being non rubber / something else, we had a moment in this very arc where he boldly exclaims that he is rubber (after big mom smacked him with a lightning bolt) which would be an odd writing choice if a year later oda just said "btw not actually rubber"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i reckon he's gotta still be rubber man right? even if his awakening does something super special. it's so iconic to the series that it'd be super bizarre if we were wrong this whole time, hell, it's even part of the meta-narrative. luffy is as resilient as he is mentally and physically because he's rubber.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Luffy ate a Pokemon Zoan fruit and is part ground type.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
That was my point earlier. Too much of the series is built upon Luffy being a "rubber-man", for his fruit to suddenly be something different now.
I'm convinced it has to be a fake out. This isn't Bleach lol.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Zakutambah posted:

That was my point earlier. Too much of the series is built upon Luffy being a "rubber-man", for his fruit to suddenly be something different now.
I'm convinced it has to be a fake out. This isn't Bleach lol.

i'm glad i'm at a point in reading this story where i do more or less trust oda implicitly. like i don't really like the idea of it being anything more than a random paramecia because of reasons i've talked about a few times in here, but by the same token, i'm confident whatever oda ends up deciding will work out really well.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

tbp posted:

i'm glad i'm at a point in reading this story where i do more or less trust oda implicitly. like i don't really like the idea of it being anything more than a random paramecia because of reasons i've talked about a few times in here, but by the same token, i'm confident whatever oda ends up deciding will work out really well.

I more or less commented the same earlier. It's Oda's story, and honestly overall it's a fantastic one. I personally think it'd be weird to change Luffy's fruit at this point, but if anyone could and make it a satisfying change somehow, it'd be Oda.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
What if Luffy actually ate the Tree Tree Fruit: Rubber Tree Model?

Ever think about that? He may be a tree man!

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
It turns out that Luffy's fruit has whatever secret awakening power that's incredibly dangerous to the World Order, but much like that sword Zoro kept asking for, Luffy just casually doesn't use it in the intended way and infuriates everyone who wants it for themselves

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
let's be real: how much time has kaido spent thinking about rubber? how should he know what it can do? just a drunk asshoel.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

tbp posted:

i was actually gonna ask if any of you knew if wukong had lightning invulnerability as an ability.

Sorta. He has a ton of abilities that are broad. So just from the onset he's basically a sentient magical rock that's in the shape of the monkey and rocks are mostly lightning resistant. He then learns how to be immortal and one of the downsides is he has to face a calamity once every 500 years. The first calamity is lightning but the teacher who taught him immortality also taught him how to do the 72 transformations to avoid them. Then lastly he has like 5 more forms of immortality including erasing his name in the book of dead.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Kaido was forced to get a Phd while imprisoned by the WG, sorry to spoil his flashback

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Kild posted:

Sorta. He has a ton of abilities that are broad. So just from the onset he's basically a sentient magical rock that's in the shape of the monkey and rocks are mostly lightning resistant. He then learns how to be immortal and one of the downsides is he has to face a calamity once every 500 years. The first calamity is lightning but the teacher who taught him immortality also taught him how to do the 72 transformations to avoid them. Then lastly he has like 5 more forms of immortality including erasing his name in the book of dead.

is any of this poo poo readable as a modern reader or will i end up bored as hell like the time i tried to read the bible

because tbh that sounds sick

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tbp posted:

is any of this poo poo readable as a modern reader or will i end up bored as hell like the time i tried to read the bible

because tbh that sounds sick

It's a classic adventure story, like Robin Hood, the Odyssey, or the twelve labours of Hercules. Definitely a lot more lively and snappy than the Bible. Only thing is that it's got a very episodic structure, so it can get a bit samey if you marathon it. Find a decent modern translation and give it a whirl.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a classic adventure story, like Robin Hood, the Odyssey, or the twelve labours of Hercules. Definitely a lot more lively and snappy than the Bible. Only thing is that it's got a very episodic structure, so it can get a bit samey if you marathon it. Find a decent modern translation and give it a whirl.

okay yeah that works, i like the old western epics well enough. i wonder if i'll find any cool ideas for hwere OP might go

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I'm thinking Luffy might be already awakening his fruit without realizing it in Snakeman form. We all joked that he'd turn everything into a bouncy house, but what if he's turning the air into rubber and bouncing his fists off it, and that's why we get the hosed up trajectory for it?

I really hope Luffy secretly isn't really a rubber man or that it has some super special powers when awakened, and the elders asking CP0 to interfere is just because of Luffy personally, not his fruit and that CP0 still has to take out whoever the actual fruit user is. But if there's anyone I'd trust this plot beat to, it'd be Oda.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It'll actually turn out to be the gobu gobu no mi and he's had the goblin fruit all along.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I thought it was a weird choice by Oda to have Luffy turn into a antisemitic caricature from the Harry Potter movies for the Blackbeard fight.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
What if the importance of the gomu gomu no mi comes from joyboy? Maybe the wg know some of what he wanted to do and just know that he wanted a rubber person? Then shanks also found out and stole the fruit, then luffy ate it and he just kind of had to hope this kid would fulfill the prophecy.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Last Celebration posted:

hosed up to insinuate one of the greatest folklore antiheroes of all time is inferior to Luffy.

Guess I'm hosed up, then.

Maybe Roger had the Sun Wukong fruit and Luffy doesn't and Luffy's just better than both of them.

We are straight up witnessing the birth of a new insane myth in the time we're allowed to be alive because Oda is absolutely that good and Luffy's gonna kick that sorry monkey's rear end.

I hope Dragon has the Wukong fruit and Luffy beats his own dad's rear end without even recognizing him.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 8, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Famous enemy of revolutionaries: Monkey D Luffy

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Luffy will meet Dragon and say "Thanks for looking after my brother Sabo" while picking his nose and not really caring that much about him otherwise.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Because reverence for the past ain't all it's cracked up to be and it's important to recognize that modern art can indeed surpass the classics because art is otherwise pointless.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No I meant why do you want Luffy to beat up his Dad who will have the powers of the Monkey King Sun Wukong from Journey to the West and also Luffy will fight this battle without recognising his father.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I finally switched to the official shonen jump thing, why do fanslations love slurs so much?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Because they don't like admitting that their favourite comics are written for children.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Slur=/=swearword.

Must be an old fanslation if they're going that hard. Of course it still happens but I can't remember anyone dropping an actual slur in the last few hundred chapters at least.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I only remember Luffy getting the power of a black guy

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm in the first 200, Some of these have dates dating back a decade or so.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When I read One Piece the first time there was a decent stretch where the fan transactions for a bit had Usopp call everyone a fucker all the time.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

that's just how early scanlations were back in the day to a degree. I'd recommend just dropping the $2 on Shonen Jump but I don't remember whether you're in America or not

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

what the gently caress is this tear of posts lmfao

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i love SA

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

bobjr posted:

When I read One Piece the first time there was a decent stretch where the fan transactions for a bit had Usopp call everyone a fucker all the time.

*in 4Kids Usopp voice* That Kuro sure is a fucker!!!

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Funky Valentine posted:

*in 4Kids Usopp voice* That Kuro sure is a fucker!!!

He really is.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

need the new chap. this wait time poo poo is getting annoying. weeks feel longer and longer these days.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Boba Pearl posted:

do yourself a favor and pay the $1.99 a month for Shonen Jump online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Shonen Jump online is really solid.

I’ve been in the spoiler shame cone for a few months but I’m going to try to detox this week. Got a feeling it’s going to be a wild chapter.