Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mash: It was super cool watching Mash immediately go for fullpower only to have time rewound on him.
But I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to this fight.

Earthchild: It's okay guys. I'm going to keep hate shrug reading this, I'll let you know when it gets cancelled. This is such a weird series, I want to see this slowmotion trainwreck unfold. So many words that do nothing to get the world moving. But it seems like next chapter we'll get to see the child being active. So far the "lead" has been such a ...doormat. I really want to see this cancelled so we can look back on it and decide what went wrong....actually might be easier to say what went right.
I mean that Waste branch.
:commissar: "We're not going to save her because she's dead."
:commissar: "Oh, she just deflected debris. She's done that loads of time actually. Guess we'll go save her now, because the doormat is here and really wants it...or something."
That's some genius writing right there.
Still, someone read a one shot or a story idea and thought this was a great idea and I want to find that little glimmer.

Sakamoto: Is so good. Love the random bandanna guy showing up.

Undead: Stuff is happening.

Shugomaru: Has become my favorite currently running gagmanga.

Elusive Samurai: That was a fun chapter actually. Good to see the kids be kids. And I love the uncle who's a book vs the man no one can read. i want them to meet.

Ayashimon: Man, I love the artwork in this series sometimes. It's so dark and gritty yet still perfectly easy to follow. And some of those powers are dumb, :allears:

Doron: Seriously, if you aren't reading this because it started so similar to Ayashimon then you should really give this another chance. This was a fine chapter. Really neat how the lead is the inverse in all ways compared to everyone else. We were talking about smart shonen protags, well here we have a perfectly average shonen protag. He's not dumb, he's not smart. But he is strong.

Witch Watch: How the drawback came into play was fantastic. And honestly, the situation was actually terrifying. Needing to breath but can't. suffocation is horrible.

Roboco: Yes, I do hate it when you suddenly discover you've been pronouncing something wrong. :(

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I got to say how Doron handled Dora's problem is kinda neat.

Mashle: is that Godot from Ace Attorney?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Darth TNT posted:

Mash: It was super cool watching Mash immediately go for fullpower only to have time rewound on him.
But I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to this fight.

Earthchild: It's okay guys. I'm going to keep hate shrug reading this, I'll let you know when it gets cancelled. This is such a weird series, I want to see this slowmotion trainwreck unfold. So many words that do nothing to get the world moving. But it seems like next chapter we'll get to see the child being active. So far the "lead" has been such a ...doormat. I really want to see this cancelled so we can look back on it and decide what went wrong....actually might be easier to say what went right.
I mean that Waste branch.
:commissar: "We're not going to save her because she's dead."
:commissar: "Oh, she just deflected debris. She's done that loads of time actually. Guess we'll go save her now, because the doormat is here and really wants it...or something."
That's some genius writing right there.
Still, someone read a one shot or a story idea and thought this was a great idea and I want to find that little glimmer.

The first chapter started with an interesting set-up but then it fast forwarded past the interesting part. The question is if that was the intent of the author or if the editor just wanted to move the story to the point it was more standard generic Shounen.

Also yeah, him joining up with waste makes no sense. Honestly the whole family spiel from the director makes it seem like the protagonist is just a rube falling for cheap propaganda even though that is probably not the intent. Nothing implies that Waste actually gives a poo poo about hurting or abandoning people if it gets in the way of their objects.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't get why people read series they don't like.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean what are we gonna do, read Black Clover?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Black Clover has a really cool bird, to be fair.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The first chapter started with an interesting set-up but then it fast forwarded past the interesting part. The question is if that was the intent of the author or if the editor just wanted to move the story to the point it was more standard generic Shounen.

Also yeah, him joining up with waste makes no sense. Honestly the whole family spiel from the director makes it seem like the protagonist is just a rube falling for cheap propaganda even though that is probably not the intent. Nothing implies that Waste actually gives a poo poo about hurting or abandoning people if it gets in the way of their objects.

Even if you write things so he has to join up with the organization, this is a freebie source of narrative tension. If he doesn't like them and they don't feel comfortable with him, you get a lot more drama out of even simple scenes, and more room for interesting character developments.

Burying the hatchet immediately loses that and gains nothing.

I'm going to put a good chunk of blame on the editor here. He's got a track record, after all.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

To be fair, he's only buried the hatchet with one part of the organization so there's plenty of room for HQ or the [INSERT OTHER COUNTRY HERE PROBABLY THE USA] branch to cause drama.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Meanwhile in Undead Unluck, the phenomenons of Thirst, Insects, Gravity, Slicing, and Magma were just killed and their rules no longer exist in the world.

This also means Andy weakened himself as he can’t cut or slice things anymore.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Black Clover has a really cool bird, to be fair.

not anymore

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Black Clover has a lot of cool characters.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Getting huge Timetravel Ghostwriter vibes from Earthchild

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Meanwhile in Undead Unluck, the phenomenons of Thirst, Insects, Gravity, Slicing, and Magma were just killed and their rules no longer exist in the world.

To be fair they did say they were going to use other ones to kind of cludge together those concepts because no gravity could definitely cause problems.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't actually like undead unluck very much, but i appreciate how weird it gets.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't actually like undead unluck very much, but i appreciate how weird it gets.

It's still interesting to me how Chainsaw Man and Undead Unluck had similar big setting metaphysics reveals at about the same time. Only Chainsaw Man made it creepy and more of a background element, while Undead Unluck is just going "The concept of gravity no longer exists. Fight scenes are going to be in midair for a bit."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't get why people read series they don't like.

I'm very interested in Earthchild. It seems like such a novel idea, but so far the execution is :psyduck: So I keep reading it, because curiosity is on Mars.

Who is the editor and why does he/she have trackrecord?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like how Cloth freaked out at all the bugs dying and just not much happened except a swamp appeared. And hey, he may not be able to cut or slice any more, but he can still chop something in two. :v:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I greatly dislike Andy as a character, but the way the series handles its story and powers is pretty interesting. So yeah, same.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I'm very interested in Earthchild. It seems like such a novel idea, but so far the execution is :psyduck: So I keep reading it, because curiosity is on Mars.

Hikaru Taguchi. He did Samurai 8, Red Hood, and Agravity Boys, and is the latest editor on MHA. Three cancelled titles so far, including a U-19. (Agravity Boys managed a year, but it was in a period when a lot of titles were getting surprisingly long runs.)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Hikaru Taguchi. He did Samurai 8, Red Hood, and Agravity Boys, and is the latest editor on MHA. Three cancelled titles so far, including a U-19. (Agravity Boys managed a year, but it was in a period when a lot of titles were getting surprisingly long runs.)

Thanks. Also :roflolmao: Earth Child is well and truly up a creek without a paddle then isn't it?
Well Agravity Boys and recently Red Hood managed to get a closing special green lit. So maybe this series can manage that as well.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Earthchild and Red Hood both seem to have the problem of an interesting premise being torpedoed by a chapter 2 swerve.

"Ah, so it's about a young boy teaming up with a veteran to learn the trade of hunting werewolves with neat designs. I wonder where they'll go next..." *stays put for an arc then goes to school*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Earthchild is also repeating the mistake of Red Hood of taking way too long to get to the story. Like Red Hood should have condensed that entire opening to just one chapter with the main character leaving town at the end of chapter one or the start of two.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

chiasaur11 posted:

Explains a lot this imo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah i was gonna say the issue with Red Hood for me wasn't any particular swerves. it was that they planted their butt in the town for another handful of chapters with some grunt villains, completely killing the momentum. Earthchild has the problem in reverse where there's so much momentum, things are glossed over and create tonal and structural whiplash. i don't actually know if you could slow burn the dad material and get away with it, so it probably would've been better to just cut to the kid and this stuff could come later as flashbacks and/or recontextualized.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so does the kid actually retain memories from infancy, or what? the narration is very odd.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

dogsicle posted:

yeah i was gonna say the issue with Red Hood for me wasn't any particular swerves. it was that they planted their butt in the town for another handful of chapters with some grunt villains, completely killing the momentum. Earthchild has the problem in reverse where there's so much momentum, things are glossed over and create tonal and structural whiplash. i don't actually know if you could slow burn the dad material and get away with it, so it probably would've been better to just cut to the kid and this stuff could come later as flashbacks and/or recontextualized.

Yeah, the standard way of handling this (inasmuch as there’s any standard way of handling such a non-standard beginning) would be an immediate time skip to make the kid the main character. That’s what happens after the first chapter of One Piece, for example.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

Upon Googling it, Taguchi became Horikoshi's editor around the time chapter 284 got published, which was during the climax of the fight against Awakened Shiggy. I imagine Horikoshi must've created an outline of the rest of the arc with his previous editor's help since it was fairly solid, aside from Mirio getting his Quirk back offscreen. But the chapters that came after that had a very noticeable decline in quality and pacing, which could be put under Taguchi's shoddy skill as an editor.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk if it was that recent then I'm not convinced this editor is the problem with mha

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm dissapointed to hear that Mirio got his powers back. I dropped MHA after the liberation army went down and I'd agree that the change in editor isn't likely the reason the story's quality degraded even further.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Having to fight a couple more werewolves may not have been a good idea, but what really, really killed Red Hood I think was the decision to ditch the premise of the one-shot and introduce a bunch of gimmicky good-guy characters and a big exam arc where no monsters were fought at all. It felt like you could see people's interest in it just drain away while that went on, and it lasted months. The author is a former assistant to Hori so he could have taken away the wrong lessons from MHA, but if it was that editor's idea then yeah, he's no good.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah if you look at the survey numbers for red hood it’s pretty clear that the biggest drop in readers happened the moment people realized we were getting a loving training arc less than 10 chapters in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

I like how Cloth freaked out at all the bugs dying and just not much happened except a swamp appeared. And hey, he may not be able to cut or slice any more, but he can still chop something in two. :

I don’t think he can chop thing’s anymore. He impales Magma, and shatters Slice with blunt force.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

late catching up but I can't believe they dropped a titular line in witch watch lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

late catching up but I can't believe they dropped a titular line in witch watch lol

I mean, if Attack on Titan did it, I can't be surprised by any manga doing a title drop.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Sakamoto Days: It's a bit weird for the movie director guy to be foiled because his camera was soaked. Thought they'd have to fight him more or something. Here's hoping he makes a comeback later.

Doron Dororon: I got a laugh at the chapter being named 'Plot'. Chapter does a good job showing you the casual cruelty of these Mononoke and making you wanna see them get slashed to pieces. The samurai who begged for the Mononoke to let the kids go knowing that those left behind will still be monster lunch was a real hero. Dude tried the best he could under that situation.

High School Family: The punchline at the end where students stayed up all night only for them to realize it was a weekday and they still had to do a school day was the best way this could've ended. :allears:

Ayashimon: Raining hogs on someone was a cool way to end the fight. Gonna guess the author's saving for later a power-up for Ten where he realizes the floor can be considered a ceiling too. Also, Maruo's smile is the absolute best. Dude is living his best life.

Akane-Banashi: It's nice how they actually considered Akane's mom's feelings in all of this. The master feels guilt over not being able to protect Akane's dad and understands that the mom would have problems accepting Akane's career choice. Yet the mom shows maturity by explaining that she really doesn't approve, but she also understands because she went through a similar thing where her parents didn't approve of her job. And while the dad didn't let on how he feels about it, he still trusts the master to look after Akane. This is a really good manga and I hope it gets staying power.

Earthchild: Goddamn, for someone who wants us to trust Waste, the author keeps tripping over themself and making the organization into the absolute worst. As soon as the dad showed how exhausted he was, they did not hesitate telling him to let them take the kid away from him. And not a few panels later, they've made these armbands that restrains the baby's power. How the gently caress can you keep making Waste look like the baddies and expect us to think they're allies? :psyduck:

I dunno if anyone reads it, but Kajiki Chef is a completely by-the-book series, which kinda sucks since the premise of hunting and cooking up monsters should normally be pretty cool. It also did a thing recently where the cruel and abusive father was 'ooooh~ he was just so strict because he cared about youuuu~ Like, goddamn the dad's first scene is slapping the kid and calling him useless! He keeps making the kid do grunt work and all the flashback shows him being critical and dismissive of a young child's attempts at cooking. The other workers even talk about how the dad had adopted the MC and literally named him '18' because he's supposed to become the 18th head of the restaurant.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1503035989198921729?t=-q63SKRah995gMTnTG4Phw&s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, I assume no one’s translated the first chapter yet?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Earthchild: Goddamn, for someone who wants us to trust Waste, the author keeps tripping over themself and making the organization into the absolute worst. As soon as the dad showed how exhausted he was, they did not hesitate telling him to let them take the kid away from him. And not a few panels later, they've made these armbands that restrains the baby's power. How the gently caress can you keep making Waste look like the baddies and expect us to think they're allies? :psyduck:

It’s hilarious. They don’t quite look evil as more completely and utterly incompetent.
Well, we’ll trust you to raise the kid.
Oh you’re suffering? We’ll take the kid from you?
Oh you don’t want that. Guess we’ll give you the bracelets we made that block powers. :shrug:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I dunno if anyone reads it, but Kajiki Chef is a completely by-the-book series, which kinda sucks since the premise of hunting and cooking up monsters should normally be pretty cool. It also did a thing recently where the cruel and abusive father was 'ooooh~ he was just so strict because he cared about youuuu~ Like, goddamn the dad's first scene is slapping the kid and calling him useless! He keeps making the kid do grunt work and all the flashback shows him being critical and dismissive of a young child's attempts at cooking. The other workers even talk about how the dad had adopted the MC and literally named him '18' because he's supposed to become the 18th head of the restaurant.

the dad stuff was brief enough i don't think it impacts much. though from the beginning the series was unremarkable outside of the art so my expectations have always been tempered. it and Magilumiere getting those catch-up releases definitely helped since it quickly got from the standard setup to the real appeal of the series: weird little creatures doing cool stuff (what the dog gonna do...)

the more recent Iza stuff makes me think she could join the Shinsengumi weirdos in being fun enough to sustain a series

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Kaijiki is absolutely by the numbers but at least they're using that as an excuse to go ham on visual.

Darth TNT posted:

It’s hilarious. They don’t quite look evil as more completely and utterly incompetent.
Well, we’ll trust you to raise the kid.
Oh you’re suffering? We’ll take the kid from you?
Oh you don’t want that. Guess we’ll give you the bracelets we made that block powers. :shrug:

I'd absolutely put it as a U19 if not for the fact that all the ranked newcomers are warming the back of the magazine regardless of their quality this time around.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 13, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Good chapter.

Ayashimon: A biker's worst nightmare - their ride being ruined.

Elusive Samurai: Oh, so the entire thing was fated to fail (because history is proof that it never succeeded), and the actual mission is the escape. That's clever. I also dig Toshiyuki getting into a fleeing stand-off with the new dude, with his petty pride on the line.

Mashle: I'd say the chapter's meh but I refuse to give dogsicle satisfaction.

Roboco: Great chapter, what a chad.

Sakamoto: Heck yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I look forward to the Akanebanashi training arc.