Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like some supply lines are still open to Kharkiv. Hopefully humanitarian supplies are making it in as well. The shelling there has been intense
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1501218815572684806?t=QgdUztUaz6RTJ8oSHswmvA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s tragic or not is a matter of opinion. Whether or not someone died from radiation poisoning succumbed from a nuclear power plant meltdown is a matter of fact.

It should probably be pointed out that the technician in question did not die from radiation poisoning, but rather died of lung cancer seven years later.

https://time.com/5388178/japan-first-fukushima-radiation-death/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 8, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smax posted:

Seems like a good excuse to crosspost this from the TFR thread.

:utruck:

Oh that is lovely. :)

:ukraine: :utruck: :blyat:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kaal posted:

It should probably be pointed out that the technician in question did not die from radiation poisoning, but rather died of lung cancer seven years later.

https://time.com/5388178/japan-first-fukushima-radiation-death/

where and how they got that cancer is a total mystery

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/WorldTravelDiva/status/1500964148267601927

Uh? What the gently caress?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ijyt posted:

where and how they got that cancer is a total mystery

Radiation poisoning is an acute sickness where the patient dies within days after exposure. It's a fundamental misconception to conflate that with cancer.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That has to be a bot account

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I don't think this is a radical change in Zelensky's position, the sticking point is still Putin's willingness to accept it. (It also depends on where exactly the borders get drawn; I suspect that even if Russia fails to secure a big breakthrough in the next few days and Russia's negotiating position starts to budge Putin will still try to grab some of the newly occupied territory in the southeast.)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

the popes toes posted:

And for a temporary respite. All proceeds going to Ukraine? I'm in.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1501210493427621893?cxt=HHwWioC9na6_r9UpAAAA

I have a couple Cobi sets, they are fine as long as you're not expecting Lego quality.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

prolonging the pandemic to own the russkies

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

Anyone else perplexed by this threads eagerness to climb over themselves to proclaim "yes Ukranians did well today but here's 10 fantasy reasons why Russia will still win, regretfully".

:jerkbag:

There are valid reasons to reinforce seriousness and credibility of the devastation Russia can inflict on Ukraine. Whether if everyone has those reasons in mind is a different question, answering which would require posting about posters.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

New article from Oryx about the use of the Bayraktar in Ukraine and their relationship with Turkish defense companies. Warning: contains photos of drone strikes aftermath
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1501160398099304450?t=P41Kpr_7u6oRAS6zgH0GKA&s=19
It'll be interesting to see if his insinuation that Turkey may provide more advanced systems ends up becoming reality

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Eh, it sounded to me like you were “downplaying those deaths” by essentially saying that that person’s life didn’t matter anyway because he was gonna die cause he had cancer.

I’m all for nuclear power and agree it’s one of the safest and most reliable energy sources we have, it just felt gross reading your comment cause of how it sounded.

They very clearly meant just to highlight that the terminally ill Fukushima employee made an explicit decision to sacrifice themselves. If you throw a pot plant out of your 12th floor window, does it prove that windows are lethal to plants?

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

I will admit to trying to guard myself against crushing sadness.

The optimism is what keeps the crushing sadness away for my part. What is happening every single day is a tragedy. What Putin has made Russia, the birthplace of some of my friends and colleagues, do to a neighboring nation and people, saddens me greatly. Regardless of how this war ends. Not to mention the numerous individual tragedies. The horror is already here. It will of course be even worse if Ukraine is subsumed into this new dystopian Russian Empire, but still the tragedy has already stuck. Hoping that somehow the worst outcome doesn't come about, that there will some small triumph of hope, seems to me, the better option.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thats lovely as gently caress. like yeah thats gross that they didnt support it but send them the loving shots assholes.

the holy poopacy posted:

I don't think this is a radical change in Zelensky's position, the sticking point is still Putin's willingness to accept it. (It also depends on where exactly the borders get drawn; I suspect that even if Russia fails to secure a big breakthrough in the next few days and Russia's negotiating position starts to budge Putin will still try to grab some of the newly occupied territory in the southeast.)

yeah basicaly it becomes the old status quo with the wording changed and Ukraine gets into the EU probably.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There are valid reasons to reinforce seriousness and credibility of the devastation Russia can inflict on Ukraine. Whether if everyone has those reasons in mind is a different question, answering which would require posting about posters.

Don't you find it tiring tho, every bit of good news immediately has multiple people going "actually"

doesn't seem healthy, mandatory breaks for people posting too much in just this thread tbh

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
More long-term 'wins' for Putin: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60664799

quote:

The European Commission has outlined a new energy roadmap designed to cut reliance on Russian gas by two thirds in just a year.

The plan envisages ending reliance on all Russian fossil fuels "well before" 2030.

In the short term, gas should be sourced from the US and Africa while some countries may need to use more coal in the months ahead.

The EU also proposes a massive ramping up of renewables, biogas and hydrogen.

While carbon emissions may rise in the short term, the longer-term aim is a speedier transition to sustainable sources.

edit: forgot to link source

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 8, 2022

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

The other issue here is that the gas price might drive a wedge into the US/EU alliance, when it comes to sanctions against Russia. The price for natural gas has exploded in the EU and is roughly 10x as high as in the US, which is a huge disadvantage for any EU business.

Short time the EU should be able to manage until spring. Long term this might not be sustainable, especially once those prices start to affect consumers. If people can no longer afford to heat their apartments, the popular support for the sanctions might start to crumble.

The prices are all ready directly affecting consumers(even pre-invasion). The rising cost of food and consumer goods will come at a later stage probably.

I am paying my gas & electricity invoice quarterly. The invoice from oct-dec was ~1800$. oct-dec previous year was ~750$.
Not looking forward to the jan-mar :shepicide:
We are lucky though, and can handle it just fine. Many people aren’t and will have serious trouble paying their heating and utilities. The government will however probably help out and cut some of the fuel tax,etc.

Edit: Living in Denmark

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Nenonen posted:

EU and UK are going to reduce the use of Russian oil and gas, but not stop it completely. EU's stated goal is to reduce Russian gas imports by 2/3 by the end of 2022.

Meanwhile German government made a demand to OPEC to increase oil production in order to balance the market.

What leverage does the west have with opec to do this? That wouldn’t lead to say backfiring and reducing production out of spite?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ukraine could enter into a mutual defense pact with NATO, where both sides pledge to support each other with non-nuclear forces in case of Russian invasion. And Ukraine would presumably be getting a lot of weapons and assistance. But there would be no NATO bases and installations, and no NATO troops and aircraft and ships stationed in Ukraine, I think. Such a scenario might be palatable to some Russian leaders (but probably not Putin). And would probably also be acceptable to Ukrainians. But I'm pretty sure that EU membership is a red line for the Ukrainians, and for Putin as well. So a compromise is still difficult to envision.

This is absolutely hosed up, wtf.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

New maps just dropped.

Comparing current Russian positions vs March 1st. The fourth image directly compares where Russia has made advances vs where Ukraine has pushed them back
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1501213722634764296?t=D7ofp6tOHD3VY-ngZPrwnw&s=19
Most uncontested Russian gains are in the south and further east, but it hasn't been a uniformly uncontested advance.

Note: the lines are darker on newer maps because the creator got complaints that the old ones were hard to read. The darker red doesn't indicate higher levels of control

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

What leverage does the west have with opec to do this? That wouldn’t lead to say backfiring and reducing production out of spite?

Maybe they'd like a few yachts and Italian villas that we've recently acquired?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Zelensky is going to address the UK parliament at 5pm GMT today so we'll get a sense there what he's feeling.

It's unfortunate that Zelensky couldn't bump off all the Tories on the front bench during the address as that would remove a lot of russian money from circulation for sure. :blyat:

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

:ughh:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The oil market is tricky. When you're an oil producing nation, the price needs to be at this Golidlocks level where you aren't too low that you're foregoing profit, but you're not so high that you're killing economic growth to an extent that will eventually lead to lower demand and prolonged periods of lower oil prices where you have to wait for consumer economies that are out of your controlto pick back up again. Your oil also has to flow at a steady, reliable rate to protect you from big swings. Sometimes OPEC even kicks into overdrive to drive down prices to an extent that will kill competition (like the US shale producers).

OPEC has had extensive experience with this dynamic and I could see the EU and the West basically pointing out that this will eventually bite OPEC nations in the rear end if they don't increase their production to offset Russia getting frozen out. Whether OPEC sees enough room for price to grow before they really turn on the pumps is not something that I can predict, though.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

The oil market is tricky. When you're an oil producing nation, the price needs to be at this Golidlocks level where you aren't too low that you're foregoing profit, but you're not so high that you're killing economic growth to an extent that will eventually lead to lower demand and lower oil prices. Your oil also has to flow at a steady, reliable rate to protect you from big swings. Sometimes OPEC kicks into overdrive to drive down prices to an extent that will kill competition (like the US shale producers).

OPEC has had extensive experience with this dynamic and I could see the EU and the West basically pointing out that this will eventually bite OPEC nations in the rear end if they don't increase their production to offset Russia getting frozen out. Whether OPEC sees enough room for price to grow before they really turn on the pumps is not something that I can predict, though.

Yeah. Leverage only exists if OPEC is willing to consider quid pro quos. "What's in it for us?" is perfectly reasonable question.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

the popes toes posted:

On the NATO thing. This conflict is not about NATO. While it may seem reasonable to analyse Putin's adventure in those terms, it's a convenient distraction from his actual purpose of empire building and preventing Western liberal influence from souring his brand of kleptocracy with a Soviet of oligarchs.

I think this is true and not widely appreciated enough. Concern about NATO expansion or Russia wanting "Defence guarantees" were always smokescreens. It's about impressing the domestic audience via a show of strength, and intimidating the Ukrainians back under Russian control via acts of brutality, in that order.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
SCOOP that everyone has been talking about for the past four days

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/davekeating/status/1501209610354577410

Thread on proposed EU gas strategy.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Oh that is lovely. :)

:ukraine: :utruck: :blyat:

Hahahaha

As a Latvian, I can certify that one should never trust a Lithuanian with any business questions.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

KitConstantine posted:

In other news the UN has decided to get mealy mouthed about exactly what kind of situation Ukraine and Russia are involved in
https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1501195568592441345?t=Vt3e6ob0ot8pzboZv3T33w&s=19

Apparently thats fake.
https://twitter.com/UN_Spokesperson/status/1501219942737264647

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

What the gently caress is a non-NATO security guarantee? If the goal is to not be puppeted by Russia, then that guarantee is going to have to look a lot like NATO membership without being in NATO.

This isn’t exactly the Century of Critical Thinking.

China gets to keep saying Taiwan isn’t a country, Russia gets to say Ukraine isn’t a member of NATO.

Just, you know, they won’t attempt another land grab due to the implication.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

Don't you find it tiring tho, every bit of good news immediately has multiple people going "actually"

doesn't seem healthy, mandatory breaks for people posting too much in just this thread tbh

I don’t think that these posts add anything to the conversation, but I don’t have any significant reasons to moderate their appearance either.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Not quite fake
https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1501230517030510592?t=XXpAOWPFS6fXreRXtfdkyA&s=19

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

MadJackal posted:

This isn’t exactly the Century of Critical Thinking.

China gets to keep saying Taiwan isn’t a country, Russia gets to say Ukraine isn’t a member of NATO.

Just, you know, they won’t attempt another land grab due to the implication.

The issue is more that it's pretty unclear that NATO would want to extend a security guarantee to Ukraine, which is a non-member with lots of internal issues. If anything EU membership and the less committal defense policy there is more likely, but Putin probably wouldn't accept EU membership either.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The EPML ATC feed is just some US military folk chatting with eachother. I can sometimes hear the Blackhawks that are outside. Can someone here figure out how to let them know they're broadcasting to the internet? I tried calling the Airport ATC and the guy said they'd let them know but nothing has happened. https://www.liveatc.net/hlisten.php?mount=epml2&icao=epml

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I think this will get walked back. Coming down hard on countries walking the tightrope between starvation and mere hunger (because of fertilizer shortages) isn't a useful bargaining strategy. Nor humane. So this kneejerk reaction will get swiftly moderated I believe.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Biden announcing the Russian oil ban now
https://twitter.com/StateDept/status/1501232573254619141?t=BpK0S03I481Y8EtEAjQRaw&s=19

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

the popes toes posted:

And for a temporary respite. All proceeds going to Ukraine? I'm in.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1501210493427621893?cxt=HHwWioC9na6_r9UpAAAA

Poland will (rightfully) be kicked out of NATO for this attack on Danish sovereignty.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dante posted:

The issue is more that it's pretty unclear that NATO would want to extend a security guarantee to Ukraine, which is a non-member with lots of internal issues. If anything EU membership and the less committal defense policy there is more likely, but Putin probably wouldn't accept EU membership either.

If Ukraine survives this with territory mostly intact and can settle the border issue then I think NATO membership probably got a hell of a lot more likely. A) because popular sentiment in Europe is going to make it a lot harder to block, and b) because frankly Ukraine will get money to rebuilt its armed forces and Russia will not.

This was all predicated on a rapid Ukrainian collapse. Putin needs to keep going until he gets something he can call a win and doesn't have any off-ramps but there's no way any future Russian leader will ever contemplate something like this again, particularly if Ukraine is in NATO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Good to hear.

Also to give an idea about EU petrol prices after the start of the war...over here,was:
  • 1.4€/L in April
  • 1.55€/L in October
  • 1.86€/L today
A gallon of gas is about 4$ in the US and it's about 8.1$ over here :v: