Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

BigRed0427 posted:

What the gently caress is Habitat Burgers?

It's Habit. West coastish burger chain. They are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

The French could study their.... French made optics.

French are the only who can study those optics, because Armata production is stalling specifically due to sanctions on optics exports.

Despera posted:

Man the US-Poland jet trade is confusing

The idea is that NATO send its stock of planes familiar to Ukrainian pilots to Ukraine, and US makes up for the shortfall with similar American planes disbursed to the respective NATO countries. In practice, this deal has been super-confirmed at least thrice, by now, to no measurable outcome.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

PerilPastry posted:

Poland seems to be all over the place, honestly.

https://twitter.com/PremierRP_en/status/1500345167211114497?s=20&t=Wh1k_aSz74pBXGTUSvgkUg

Unless the plan was to add another layer of plausible deniability by handing them over to the US without even thinking to check if they were ok with assuming the risk of escalation themselves.

Check the dates of what you guys post.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Willo567 posted:

So will the Polish jet fighters being sent to U.S. air bases to give to Ukraine cross Putin's red line?

As Vladimir Putin, I’d like to ask you to be less anxious.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Also, that vociferous tweet by the Polish PM is 2 days old. poo poo changes by the hour with this conflict.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

nine-gear crow posted:

Gorbachev brought Russia Pizza Hut, and Putin takes it away.

By undoing glasnost, perestroika and détente, Vova is trying to make people feel nostalgic for the Soviet Union of 1989 so they would re-elect Gorbachev while he still lives, which was always his secret goal.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

BigRed0427 posted:

What the gently caress is Habitat Burgers?

Mid range west coast (mainly) burger place. Nicer than a McDonalds, probably about on par overall with a Johnny Rockets (without the theming) if you’re familiar with them. They’re fine.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Trump posted:

Check the dates of what you guys post.

Pretty sure that was their point. They said it's fake news then, now they're saying the opposite.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brown Moses posted:

Start of an interesting thread on how Russians are debunking fakes they've created themselves and blaming the fakes on Ukraine:

https://twitter.com/CraigSilverman/status/1501306537607843849

This is just your Mossad-paid attempt to disinfo the Russian attempt to disinfo the Ukrainian attempt to disinfo. I'm not stupid!

(This message was sponsored by МИД РФ)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ravenkult posted:

Pretty sure that was their point. They said it's fake news then, now they're saying the opposite.

That entire conversation is from 2 days ago. It’s genuinely misleading to quote it today.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

mostly the latter. in theory you always want to get your hands on a working example of the newest cutting edge hardware from around the world. in practice, nearly all of what russia is fielding here ranges from reasonable but older hardware to comically outdated junk. i think there are more tank enthusiasts worried about the fate of some rare tank variant that should be in a museum, than there are CIA guys trying to get the newest tank model.

If you wanted to get your hands on the newest russian tank equipment and electronics, you'd have to steal the tank, figure out what it's missing, then case all the nearby pawn shops

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
The Polish jets being on the move is great news. Hopefully they arrive in Ukraine sooner rather than later.

Slovakia has 13 MiG29s and Bulgaria 15 in service, so there might be more to come too. Bulgaria's 15 in particular are due to be replaced by F16s in 2024 anyway so should be workable under a similar deal in theory.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1501252691133149188?cxt=HHwWiMC50cvXwtUpAAAA
I asked how his spirits were holding up. Answer: "Now is not the time for crying; now is the time for laughing."

He meant at Russia's military performance and its enormous losses in manpower and firepower in the field.

"They have lost far more than they expected. That is why they started peace negotiations on the second day of the war."

"Yesterday, they lost 30 helicopters in the vicinity of Kherson where our marines destroyed them. The government announced this. Frankly speaking, it's true."

"There was also some evidence for the loss of two aircraft in the airspace around Kyiv."

"Our mood: Everything is OK. We are defending our soil, our Motherland. We have nothing to lose. They are conquerors. They are the fascists. And we will win. I have no doubt."

I asked about all the Russian deserters abandoning their undamaged tanks, BTRs, air defense systems. Where did they go and where are they now?

"They fled into the woods. Sometimes they're marodyory [looters, marauders]. Even according to our interceptions we can determine many are robbing civilian houses and occupying them."

He also confirmed the majority of Ukraine's Air Force is still in tact, on Day 12, including fixed wing and rotary aircraft. I asked how many operational Bayraktar TB2 drones Ukraine has in its arsenal. He laughed. "OK, Michael, can I just say: 'It's enough.'"

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
The former defense minister of Georgia is now fighting in Ukraine, with some pretty expensive gear:

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1501285838193410051

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1501293013879844865

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Its not much, like we import 7.5 million barrels, of which Russia is like 300k.

Where are you getting that number from? Seems to be about 8% of US imports.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sir John Falstaff posted:

The former defense minister of Georgia is now fighting in Ukraine, with some pretty expensive gear:

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1501285838193410051

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1501293013879844865

How many enemies of the Russian Federation are taking their shot to punch Putin in the dick?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fame Douglas posted:

Where are you getting that number from? Seems to be about 8% of US imports.

if it's about 8% of yearly imports, it's probably a monthly figure

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

How many enemies of the Russian Federation are taking their shot to punch Putin in the dick?

The number of politicians coming out of nowhere to personally kick in the Russian military is :stare:

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1501303979153711108?cxt=HHwWiICzlfmA2tUpAAAA

Someone already flexing with the Panzerfaust 3 AT weapons.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

if it's about 8% of yearly imports, it's probably a monthly figure

7.5*12 is only 90 million, which is far from accurate as well.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Djarum posted:

What most don't realize is that most aircraft have artificial limits put upon it to limit the stress on it. For example with both the F-18 and F-15 there are ROC and G limits that are there to limit the stress on the plane. A big issue we are seeing is that with so many planes were used in Iraq and Afghanistan for the last 20 years that you are seeing issues with them due to a mixture of plane old use and in a combat situation you are often forced to break the rules on the airframe to get yourself out of problems.

We saw a major replacement of the wings on the A-10 a few years ago and the Navy and Marines are pushing for the same on the F-18s to get another 15-20 years out of them before the F-35 and F/A-XX are able to replace them entirely.

The Air Force evidently has their NGAD prototype flying, which is the replacement for the F-22. The Air Force is looking to have that going by 2030 and starting to retire them. We shall see. Remember the F-22 was supposed to start production in 1994 and really only got started in 1997 with any real numbers coming out around 2000.

Oh huh, I didn't realize there were new planes expected in the next decade. I was going to ask if it made sense to restart production of the F-22 since there are so few of them.

I wonder what'll be different about the sixth generation of jet fighters.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That entire conversation is from 2 days ago. It’s genuinely misleading to quote it today.

I was driving at the point ravenkult said. Apologies if it caused confusion. It truly wasn't my intention.

Blut posted:

The Polish jets being on the move is great news. Hopefully they arrive in Ukraine sooner rather than later.

Supposedly they'll require some refitting so I imagine it'll be a while. Russia's also stated they'd regard hosting Ukrainian planes or offering them airfields as engaging in the conflict so if the US wants to skirt away from that line I suppose they'll have to work out the kinks of transporting them by land. Sounds like the White House is mindful of that fact:

"The White House is now working out the practicalities of carrying out a deal, including the crucial question of how the Ukrainians would physically be able to get their hands on the planes.

'There are a number of challenging practical questions, including how the planes could actually be transferred from Poland to Ukraine."

(Sorry for the Daily Mail link)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10583491/Russia-warns-countries-supplying-Ukraine-jets-regarded-participants.html

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Shes Not Impressed posted:

That's Coca Cola, Pepsi, and McDonalds.

This sounds ridiculously toxic

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

OddObserver posted:

Did this stuff get the sort of cultural formulation where it makes a difference?

Pepsi sure did. Russia's demand for Pepsi is / was insatiable. Back in 1971, when the Ruble couldn't be converted to any other currency by the banks (parallels!) Russia would trade physical goods for shipments of Pepsi. This is why PepsiCo was paid in surplus warships, giving it history's largest private military fleet. They were mostly submarines.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Blut posted:

Slovakia has 13 MiG29s and Bulgaria 15 in service, so there might be more to come too. Bulgaria's 15 in particular are due to be replaced by F16s in 2024 anyway so should be workable under a similar deal in theory.
Bulgaria, Slovakia, and Poland are NATO members. If any of them thought they might be getting additional Russian stuff in the future, they're not thinking that now.

I'm pretty sure all Russian military gear was due to be phased out sooner or later anyway, so transferring it to Ukraine is just moving up the timetable.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Mystic Mongol posted:

Pepsi sure did. Russia's demand for Pepsi is / was insatiable. Back in 1971, when the Ruble couldn't be converted to any other currency by the banks (parallels!) Russia would trade physical goods for shipments of Pepsi. This is why PepsiCo was paid in surplus warships, giving it history's largest private military fleet. They were mostly submarines.

I love poo poo that sounds like you're shitposting so hard but then we have to check Wikipedia anyway

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lmao Ukraine is defending Kyiv from the Nazi menace with panzerfausts.

What a loving wild war we love in

Hahahahahaha my loving profile keeps changing and I keep laughing.

God damnit I wanted gently caress you Russia gangtag for more than 30 seconds.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Has there been any confirmation that Ukraine sank a warship? Because that sounds like a big deal

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

This "Call up a Russian" campaign enraged demon lady "Putin's iron doll" Olga Skabeyeva and her "strange people are calling us on the phone!" rant during a news show was pretty funny.

Anyway, the vid in the tweet is pretty good.
https://twitter.com/callrussia/status/1500877989432725513?cxt=HHwWksC4tYqlmNQpAAAA

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

CommieGIR posted:

The number of politicians coming out of nowhere to personally kick in the Russian military is :stare:

Some day, far in the future, when the USA finally decays enough there will be an equally long line of people frothing at the bit to kick our balls in.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

surf rock posted:

Oh huh, I didn't realize there were new planes expected in the next decade. I was going to ask if it made sense to restart production of the F-22 since there are so few of them. I wonder what'll be different about the sixth generation of jet fighters.

The F-22 production tooling has largely been scrapped, and the plane itself lacks a lot of the modern digital features that would allow it to be upgraded. It's a great plane, but very much a product of the Cold War. Restarting production and doubling our current fleet is estimated to cost at least $50 billion, which is nearly as much as it cost to build the ones that we have.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So what is the basis for tankies saying the Ukraine military is filled with Nazis?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Someone on this forum is doing a weird charity donation-matching thing where instead of giving money to war refugees they're donating it to Jeffery.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Mystic Mongol posted:

Though famously Zhukov was a Coke man, and President Truman got Coca Cola to develop crystal cola so they could ship Coke to Zhukov without him looking like a Western stooge.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

You can send Trump too, he wanted to show everyone how tough he was on Russia

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/anders_aslund/status/1501315627386118145

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Chairman of our Senate Jurisprudence Committee is fighting in Ukraine right now. He’s still an active parliamentary, and didn’t hand in his mandate before departure.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

how does this affect the russian on the street?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

how does this affect the russian on the street?

It makes them even more serfs of the state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

So what is the basis for tankies saying the Ukraine military is filled with Nazis?

There's a whole battalion full of pretty terrible people, so the whole country needs to be cleansed, no other way around that.