Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Xeom posted:

Why gas the situation further? I can only imagine people here believe one of two things.
1. Russia will fold. In my mind a wild a crazy move is more likely than this. People pushed into corners rarely respond rationally. We are already beyond rationality sadly.
2. Nuclear war will not be a big deal. I really don't know how to respond to this.

Russia isn't backed into a corner. Russia is standing on their neighbors lawn shooting through their windows while demanding they surrender. No one is keeping them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
There's literally a full-on another thread in D&D for clancy chat where Xeom can RP his/her post-apocalypse cannibalism strategies.

No reason for these drive-by derails.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The steady propaganda stream of imagery, vids, statements, art - all of it, is remarkable. And contrasted with "Ukrainians are shelling themselves" by the Russian establishment makes them seem amateurish and ham-handed in comparison. At least you could depend on the Soviets for great propaganda art.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Yureina posted:

I'm not sure where you are getting that impression. It's not bloodlust to cheer for a nation fighting for its freedom and independence against a foreign aggressor.

As for how this will all end? I'm not sure. I do agree with you that the chances of Putin backing down are fairly low and that the best (if unlikely) outcome is that he is taken down from within. But is Putin willing to actually go nuclear? I'm less sure of that. The instant he does that, his chances of remaining in power drop to zero because people really will get bloodthirsty and want his head over that. If it turned into WW3 and the future of humanity was at stake? I'd consider enlisting myself but I'm probably too old at this point (34). At this point the best I can do is hope that cooler heads prevail and that someone in a better position than I is able to do something to put an end to all of this. I'm not really seriously entertaining the idea of nuclear war though. If I was, I'd probably be stressing myself out far far more than would be healthy.

Edit:

Thank you!

In your mind what is the situation where Putin is over thrown between a first volley and a full on exchange. How much time do you think elapses between those two moments?

You've sanctioned the Russian people and destroyed what little lives they had. Why do you think they will side with you? "The west" clearly had the option to go after mostly oligarchs, but did the most they could to leave those people untouched while still punishing the main Russian economy. Do you think this could back fire at all?

What is this "fighting for the future of humanity". I'm very curious here.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Xeom posted:

Listen, I'm on the other side of things here

I'd love to know what exactly this means

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Xeom posted:

I probably won't respond, but I'm curious to hear some viewpoints outside of chain posting.

I do no believe Russia will start a nuclear war over military actions in Ukraine. Furthermore allowing Russia's invasion to go uncontested increases the chance of nuclear war, not decreases it. Setting the precedent of a nuclear armed country can invade a neighbour without repercussions will quickly lead to more nuclear armed states.

Also NATO being unwilling to intervene in Ukraine due to the threat of Russian nukes raises the question of what would occur if the same thing occurs in the Baltic states. Yes it is a different circumstance but imagine the counterfactual in with the west did nothing, Russia was more successful, and Ukraine less. In this case Russia may be emboldened enough to think they could get away with a invasion of the Baltic states in the future and actually cause a all out war with NATO.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Apparently withdrawals of up to 10k are OK, but over that must be in Rubles. Is this as much of a meltdown moment as finance people are making it sound?

Yeah, this is essentially a declaration of establishment of a foreign currency black market for any goods above the threshold. A not necessarily correct, but imo intuitive, analogy here would be to say that demand for rouble has been reduced, and therefore the price of it must fall.

KitConstantine posted:

According to the Ukrainian Armed Forces they're coming back to take another swing.
https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1501319860168454145?s=20&t=emQts8543ubmvreZgq4XTA
*puts on a mustache* "Wagner? Who is Wagner? We are Liga"

They did open an recruiting office closer to Ukraine a few days ago, in Rostov-on-Don.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Xeom posted:

In your mind what is the situation where Putin is over thrown between a first volley and a full on exchange. How much time do you think elapses between those two moments?

You've sanctioned the Russian people and destroyed what little lives they had. Why do you think they will side with you? "The west" clearly had the option to go after mostly oligarchs, but did the most they could to leave those people untouched while still punishing the main Russian economy. Do you think this could back fire at all?

This is literally impossible. There is no way to "go after the oligarchs" without impacting the Russian people. The Russian people depend on the same economy the oligarchs do. You want a golden unicorn.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Xeom posted:

"The west" clearly had the option to go after mostly oligarchs, but did the most they could to leave those people untouched while still punishing the main Russian economy. Do you think this could back fire at all?

[Citation Needed]

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Victis posted:

I'd love to know what exactly this means

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Xeom posted:

I think you have a somewhat unrealistic image in your head of the economic consequences. For the short-term effects on average citizens we're mostly talking a recession that'll be less severe than the COVID one, and real interest rates that are high - but not the highest of the previous decade. Some luxury import goods will be unavailable shortly when they run out of stock. The long-term effects on the economy are worse, but average people won't feel them in quite some time unless they have investments in the russian stock market. The decidedly non-average people that do are having a rough time. This seems more like prepper fanfiction.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Xeom posted:

Man you're like the fifth person today to parachute in from somewhere, probably that other forum that shall not be named, and start up with this crap. It's just tiring after a while.

They already said that Putin being overthrown was unlikely. But it gets more and more likely the deeper we get into this and the more Russians begin to realize that their country has been made into an international pariah and severed from the global economic system. Your assertion that the west could've gone after oligarchs but decided to go after normal Russians is complete bullshit. The sanctions WERE targeted, as much as was possible, at oligarchs and Putin himself. This is actually still ongoing, the seeking out and seizure of oligarch assets abroad. But at the end of the day, if you want severe sanctions that will make clear to a country that what they're doing is not acceptable, they are going to affect the economy as a whole to some extent. There is simply no way around that.

I do not think it will backfire, no. The only person of concern here is Putin. If he pulls out of Ukraine, the sanctions are gone. If someone topples him, the sanctions are gone. If he basically does anything other than what he is doing right now, invading a neighboring country without cause and murdering innocent people, the sanctions are gone. Anyone with half a loving brain should know who to blame. Other countries aren't being sanctioned, because they are peaceful and no run by a narcissistic madman with revanchist aspirations. Russians will see that nearby countries are still prosperous, are not locked out of the global economy, have currency that still buys things at a rational rate, and they'll know, or should know, why this happened.

And if they can't figure that out, I'm going to spare them less thought than the people currently being murdered and made into refugees in Ukraine.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Antillie posted:

[Citation Needed]

Yeah haven't they seized a bunch of assets from the super rich?

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Russian debt talk:

There is an important distinction here. Right now the debt they are about to default on is foreign held debt, not bonds held inside Russia.

While any default is extremely bad, it will take longer for Russia to default on its internally held debt, which would be the thing that literally spells the Russian government is completely insolvent and will no longer be able to pay for anything at all.

What's the result of defaulting on the foreign debt, outside of the obvious reputation loss and likelihood that foreign investors will stay away for a generation or so?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

the popes toes posted:

The steady propaganda stream of imagery, vids, statements, art - all of it, is remarkable. And contrasted with "Ukrainians are shelling themselves" by the Russian establishment makes them seem amateurish and ham-handed in comparison. At least you could depend on the Soviets for great propaganda art.

yeah, Russia is going heavy on the W bush iraq invasion poo poo mixed with soviet era mobster mentality of just lie about everything because gently caress it.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Xeom posted:

I did not state that Putin using nukes would lead to an internal revolt. I said that him doing so would likely piss enough people off around the world that it would become a vested interest to see Putin removed from power by any means necessary. In other words, I'm talking about foreign intervention. I'm operating under the assumption that once a nuke goes off then a larger exchange is inevitable. If the world is hosed already, the least that can be done is to kill the guy who started it. With that said, a post-apocalypse is not a world I want to live in. I do not want to see any nukes get used.

As others have already stated, sanctions that only hit the oligarchs and not the Russian economy as a whole are basically impossible. I'm not happy about it, but it is the way things are. In any case I'm not in a position to actually do anything about it. But do you know what I would like to see? I'd like to see Putin and his thieving cronies fall. From there a new Russian government would emerge that, hopefully, would be less interested in invading its neighbors and more interested in the welfare of its people. I see that as a potential opportunity that the west, unfortunately, missed in the 1990's. The final result I want to see is for Russia to become an ally and perhaps to join NATO and the EU eventually. Such a wish is impossible with Putin in charge. But with someone else and after a more magnanimous peace where Russia can get some help in rebuilding their economy after all this? That is what I'd like to see. Whether or not this will come to pass is, obviously, another matter entirely.

As for that last bit... if we found ourselves in WW3, I would consider it to be a major failure for the entire world that should have learned its lesson after WW2. At that point I think I would want to do whatever I could in order to try to help end such a conflict in the hope that once it was over humanity would finally learn its lesson. That is what I meant by fighting for humanity's future. If things really did get that bad I would want to try to do something to help fix it, rather than to post online as the world burns as you put it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

BoldFace posted:

Wind turbines are really ugly.

Naw, but they do have some kind of bizarre 1960's sci-fi novella quality to them. Especially how recent ones look smaller than they are somehow, like giant small fans.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Sax Mortar posted:

What's the result of defaulting on the foreign debt, outside of the obvious reputation loss and likelihood that foreign investors will stay away for a generation or so?

You’ve got it right there. The Russian government, were it allowed, could also not “borrow” any more money by selling bonds to other countries or foreign investors, but they aren’t allowed.

It will also further devalue the ruble and it’s going to suck for any foreign investors or institutions holding Russian bonds.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1501357706027933698

Another one bites the dust.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Xeom posted:

If you are truly curious, and not just being silly, you might find it enlightening to find some older Eastern Europeans and ask them if they think this concerted effort is useful, and why. And relate those answers to the nearly global condemnation and agreement for the sanctions. With a modicum of effort, you might find some answers. You know, it's not just a few slobs in this thread that feel there should be a proportionate response - it's a sizable portion of the globe.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Officer down, VDV embarrassed, two great tastes that taste great together! From the second tweet:

quote:

The 33rd Motorized Rifle Regiment was recently reformed in Kamyshin and its tank battalion came from the VDV's 56th Air Assault Brigade, along with Agarkov, which was transferred into a regiment and moved to Fedosia. Agarkov was a career VDV officer.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Sax Mortar posted:

Cuts off their access to foreign money (because no-one will loan them any when they're defaulting left and right). They need money for the war, piles and piles of the stuff and what they get through energy revenues isn't even enough to cover their normal expenditures much less a mass armed conflict. So they have to maintain with the reserves they have which absolutely cannot last. Once the reserves are up the real meltdown begins - Russia will be unable to acquire any foreign goods or services, their own currency will be valueless and there will be nothing they can offer their civil service/ police/army to keep them loyal or keep the wheels turning.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1501334216851828737

This is going to end up an utter farce even by Borrell’s standard. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn later down the road that his “JETS WILL BE ARRIVING WITHIN THE HOUR” announcement screwed the pooch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

christ, thats nuts. i am just imagining if the US hosed up this bad(instead of our usual slow burn gently caress ups) we were were losing generals/Officers everyday.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Sax Mortar posted:

Assuming Russia can access the foreign bond market in the future it's would mostly just be a higher interest rate (a risk premium to account for higher default risk). That said while their bonds would technically be in default, they could potentially pay them off after the situation normalizes. This situation isn't driven by financial circumstances directly, so it's unlikely that they would get a higher interest rate just for that. They would probably get a higher interest than otherwise as a risk premium for "what if Putin goes crazy again" as long as Putin is the president though. Russia is not only a large economy, but it's a net exporter that accumulates lots of foreign reserves. The government bonds aren't that important for the Russian economy. If you get sizeable defaults in the private bond market since they're legally not allowed to pay them, that could cause more long-term issues for certain companies.

Often Abbreviated posted:

Cuts off their access to foreign money (because no-one will loan them any when they're defaulting left and right). They need money for the war, piles and piles of the stuff and what they get through energy revenues isn't even enough to cover their normal expenditures much less a mass armed conflict. So they have to maintain with the reserves they have which absolutely cannot last. Once the reserves are up the real meltdown begins - Russia will be unable to acquire any foreign goods or services, their own currency will be valueless and there will be nothing they can offer their civil service/ police/army to keep them loyal or keep the wheels turning.
Russia has its own currency. They don't have to "maintain with reserves" or anything like that to run the country. These sanctions will probably cause a recession of around 6-8% of GDP, which is bad, but it's not a short-term apocalypse or anything.

Dante fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 9, 2022

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh look it's fascist daft punk

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER

freeasinbeer posted:

The Wagner group, named after hitlers favorite composer is lead is lead by this guy:

They are the ONLY authorized PMC in Russia and are funded by an oligarch close to Putin. They were sent to Assassinate the JEWISH president of Ukraine but were wiped out. They also commit war crimes in Syria and Africa.

Is it possible to stop posting this wagner mother fuckers big stupid face every page.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

bowmore posted:

oh look it's fascist daft punk

Draft Punk?

.... I'll see myself out.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

christ, thats nuts. i am just imagining if the US hosed up this bad(instead of our usual slow burn gently caress ups) we were were losing generals/Officers everyday.

I have to wonder how many of these officer kills are by Ukraine forces, and how many are fragged by their own troops at this point...

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Look guys we went over this and it's clearly Russian Equilibrium :mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4weEXyoXZKs&t=17s

PITT posted:

Is it possible to stop posting this wagner mother fuckers big stupid face every page.

My local newspaper has fallen in love with this picture as well, so tired of seeing his dumb face.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Dante posted:

Assuming Russia can access the foreign bond market in the future it's would mostly just be a higher interest rate (a risk premium to account for higher default risk). That said while their bonds would technically be in default, they could potentially pay them off after the situation normalizes. This situation isn't driven by financial circumstances directly, so it's unlikely that they would get a higher interest rate just for that. They would probably get a higher interest than otherwise as a risk premium for "what if Putin goes crazy again" as long as Putin is the president though. Russia is not only a large economy, but it's a net exporter that accumulates lots of foreign reserves. The government bonds aren't that important for the Russian economy. If you get sizeable defaults in the private bond market since they're legally not allowed to pay them, that could cause more long-term issues for certain companies.

Russia has its own currency. They don't have to "maintain with reserves" or anything like that to run the country. These sanctions will probably cause a recession of around 6-8% of GDP, which is bad, but it's not a short-term apocalypse or anything.

How exactly is Russia going to get by when cut-off from the various import markets, even if it had the means to pay for the vast basket of goods they cannot produce under autarky? I’m unable to pull the figures right now, but something like more than 90% of Russian consumer goods are imported, right?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

waydownLo posted:

How exactly is Russia going to get by when cut-off from the various import markets, even if it had the means to pay for the vast basket of goods they cannot produce under autarky? I’m unable to pull the figures right now, but something like more than 90% of Russian consumer goods are imported, right?

Simply put, they'll import them from elsewhere.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Xeom posted:

Listen, I'm on the other side of things here and it seems, to me, as if America has lost its mind and were back at 2002-2003 bloodlust levels again, except this time with nuclear war as the finale.

Fascinating. Which country is America invading on false pretenses to "liberate" it? I'm decidedly against it. The world should join in condemnation and sanction of such an act

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

the popes toes posted:

Simply put, they'll import them from elsewhere.

I would assume black markets will be much more of a thing moving forward

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

waydownLo posted:

The countries that have sanctioned Russia represent roughly a third of its domestic imports, two-thirds are from other countries. Russia unsurprisingly trades a lot with Asia, and China specifically. Imports as a percentage of GDP are about 20%, so a third of that is around 5-8% of their GDP that is directly affected. Furthermore Russia is lucky in that they produce the mother of all fungible export goods, oil&gas - which they will be able to continue to sell even the non-sanctioning world (though probably at a discount at this current situation). Foreign currency isn't a problem for a huge oil exporter. Russia isn't a small open economy, it's the 6th largest domestic market in the world. They have a large domestic manufacturing industry like all other large economies do with domestic markets (due to transportation costs). Russia spent the majority of the last century behind the iron curtain being heavily sanctioned by the west, it's not like a country turns to dust due to that. The west is primarily important to Russia as an export-market for oil and gas.

Dante fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 9, 2022

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Dante posted:

A currency has to be exchangeable for something. They need a source of foreign currency to prop up the ruble and keep it from freefalling, and to purchase goods and services from overseas. They get some foreign currency from energy but not nearly enough, and their expenditures just exploded. They are currently running down their reserves and once those are gone there's no backstop. Their currency won't have value, inside or outside Russia.

This isn't a new situation, it's just one we haven't seen happen to a major economy in decades. Wars are ruinous.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Dante posted:

The countries that have sanctioned Russia represent roughly a third of its domestic imports, two-thirds are from other countries. Russia unsurprisingly trades a lot Asia, and China specifically. Imports as a percentage of GDP are about 20%, so a third of that is around 5-8% of their GDP that is directly affected. Furthermore Russia is lucky in that they produce the mother of all fungible export goods, oil&gas - which they will be able to continue to sell even the non-sanctioning world (though probably at a discount at this current situation). Russia isn't a small open economy, it's the 6th largest domestic market in the world. Russia spent the majority of the last century behind the iron curtain being heavily sanctioned by the west, it's not like a country turns to dust due to that. The west is primarily important to Russia as an export-market for oil and gas.

Yes, but the Russian middle class is set to not exist any longer; and we aren’t talking about going back to old Soviet “second world” conditions either. They are hosed.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

quote:

My local newspaper has fallen in love with this picture as well, so tired of seeing his dumb face

I can't say I blame them. Dude looks like a Moore era Bond villain's right hand man.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

the popes toes posted:

After seeing the absolute poo poo-tier quality of Russian disinformation over the last few weeks, I think we can all agree that they do not work well under pressure or any semblance of a deadline.

Also, that’s a lovely pic and all but good god, is that magazine in backwards?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cenodoxus posted:

After seeing the absolute poo poo-tier quality of Russian disinformation over the last few weeks, I think we can all agree that they do not work well under pressure or any semblance of a deadline.

Also, that’s a lovely pic and all but good god, is that magazine in backwards?

I think they are just playing to the lowest common denominator either chuds or tankies and they think it worked because they got away with poo poo and now "suddenly" it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Often Abbreviated posted:

A currency has to be exchangeable for something. They need a source of foreign currency to prop up the ruble and keep it from freefalling, and to purchase goods and services from overseas. They get some foreign currency from energy but not nearly enough, and their expenditures just exploded. They are currently running down their reserves and once those are gone there's no backstop. Their currency won't have value, inside or outside Russia.

This isn't a new situation, it's just one we haven't seen happen to a major economy in decades. Wars are ruinous.
A currency is primarily propped up by its own domestic market and the fact that the state demands you pay taxes in the domestic currency. The exchange rate of your currency is important for trade, and how much impact it has on the real economy depends on the structure of your economy (its exposure to trade, generally smaller the larger your economy is). The ruble is in freefall, and that's very bad if you're an industry that relies on imports (aeroflots), for consumers who consume a lot of import goods/vacations etc. It's not so bad for export-industries though! Your exports are now cheap for foreign customers to buy. That's why countries get mad when other countries attempt to devaluate their currency. Notably Russia sells oil&gas and will therefore be able to continue to trade with most of its trading partners, accumulate foreign reserves etc. The economic situation in Russia is bad and going to get worse, some industries will basically be unable to function. That said this is a recession, not the apocalyptic scenario that it gets described as. If China/Asia joined in on the sanctions, that would be very very bad, but there's no indication of that happening.

ZombieLenin posted:

Yes, but the Russian middle class is set to not exist any longer; and we aren’t talking about going back to old Soviet “second world” conditions either. They are hosed.
GDP per capita for Russia is slightly less than Oman. The median daily income is around $16 compared to Germany's $48. There's a "middle class" in Moscow and St.Petersburg that enjoys a western standard of living, but the actual Russian middle class is much more comparable to the chinese middle class really. The average Russian consumer isn't fretting about the iphone being unavailable for sale or the cost of their imported luxury consumer goods.

Dante fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 9, 2022