Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

How loving stupid do they think their own citizens are?

I think it's not so much "stupid" as "broken down and intimidated" with a dash of "nationalistic"

The dam is starting to break though
https://twitter.com/ilya_shepelin/status/1501513137589309441?t=PG476Tu6UcUPw0P9GpEFGQ&s=19
Tweet translation (digital):

quote:

On the channel of the Ministry of Defense Zvezda, a gray-haired warrior offered to honor the memory of the guys who are dying in Ukraine. But we can't talk about our losses) The warrior was shut up by the SS hysterical host: — SHUT UP! OUR GUYS DON'T DIE THERE! THEY WILL DESTROY THE FASCIST RESPECT! TRIUMPH OF RUSSIAN WEAPONS

Shouting match translation:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This seems like big news in terms of the sustainability of the sanctions regime, especially if the Saudis follow suit since the two tend to be in alignment. I just wonder what the US promised (presumably further assistance in Yemen?) to get it.

https://twitter.com/BeckyCNN/status/1501591607786844167

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is google still a thing in russia?

Jokes about...

Ukrainians
Stierlitz (famous from a TV show https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stierlitz)
Vova
Czechs
Junkies
Estonians
German
Russians
Putin

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Anyone else getting this ad on somethingawful?

Seems extraordinarily lovely.

Yep, I though it was unrelated but apparently it's an actual ad for brainwormed tankies

Yudo
May 15, 2003

PerilPastry posted:

Glad to be corrected. The vibe I'm getting is a number of countries have now soured on the idea of providing "offensive weapons" which by some arbitrary standard seems to include aircraft but not stuff like Javelins.

Are the Ukrainians trained for the Polish SAMs? Supposedly Patriot batteries require hundreds and hundreds of hours of training so I imagine they're off the table.

Again, you may be correct: Ukraine could no longer have the infrastructure to keep fighters in the air. In a vacuum, a modernized MiG-29 is competitive with most 4th generation fighters, particularly if they were given better avionics and radars. A stock MiG-29 from the late 70s or early 80s would get demolished in a beyond visual range engagement, which is to say they are death traps.

Patriots for sure are off the table (in my opinion); however, Poland and Ukraine both operate the Soviet era SA-6 and SA-8, which are, depending on the version, antiques to not very good. Perhaps that is why Poland offered up the MiGs: better those than dinosaur SAMs. I could have sworn Poland upgraded some S300s--which the Ukrainians would also know how to use--but I appear to be mistaken.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Jeffery already posted and said it was fine.

I mean, I said it seems really lovely, not illegal. The forums actually leaning into some weird russia vs ukraine cosplay thing seems gross.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Deteriorata posted:

Anhydrous ammonia would be a liquified gas in a tanker. They can hold about 5 tons each, so 80 tons would require at least 16 of them.

If I was Ukraine fighting a war with the world's 2nd/3rd largest military, I'd probably use those trucks for fuel for fighting vehicles, or food for troops, rather than chemical attacks that would instantly turn needed allies against me.

But then again, I'm not there, so maybe the Russians are telling the truth. They are not telling the truth

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Renaissance through violence of war. Pretty sure that's come up before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, I said it seems really lovely, not illegal. The forums actually leaning into some weird russia vs ukraine cosplay thing seems gross.

I know. He said he didn't see a problem with it and compared it to people ironically using the Confederate Flag. Not saying I agree, just that it has been addressed already.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Sinteres posted:

This seems like big news in terms of the sustainability of the sanctions regime, especially if the Saudis follow suit since the two tend to be in alignment. I just wonder what the US promised (presumably further assistance in Yemen?) to get it.

https://twitter.com/BeckyCNN/status/1501591607786844167

Of course they'll increase production. Oil is at the sweet spot where they can make obscene profits but not expensive enough that North American shale fields will get invested in.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

DO things need to be illegal to be moderated. The answer is obviously no.

The Confederate response by Jeffery was particularly stupid, since somebody posting a Confederate flag to mock pro-BLM posters e.g. in the aftermath of a large police crackdown would be immediately banned, or I hope so.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KitConstantine posted:

I think it's not so much "stupid" as "broken down and intimidated" with a dash of "nationalistic"

https://twitter.com/ilya_shepelin/status/1501513137589309441?t=PG476Tu6UcUPw0P9GpEFGQ&s=19

Hahaa christ that dude knew exactly what he was doing, respect

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

Of course they'll increase production. Oil is at the sweet spot where they can make obscene profits but not expensive enough that North American shale fields will get invested in.

Literally yesterday they seem to have refused a call with Biden, so it's hard to imagine there wasn't some kind of concession made to get this announcement now from the UAE ambassador to Washington specifically.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Literally yesterday they seem to have refused a call with Biden, so it's hard to imagine there wasn't some kind of concession made to get this announcement now from the UAE ambassador to Washington specifically.

Hunter Biden's laptop

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Alchenar posted:

Yeah gosh why would people in one of the largest wheat producers on the planet need nitrates.

And 80t sounds like a lot, but it is only around 1500-2000 acres worth. Ukraine has something like 60 million acres of farmland.

So yeah, if the ammonia actually exists (almost certainly it down not) it is pretty much guaranteed to be fertilizer.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

Ah yes, the ol' "preemptive justification" move
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1501623178514374664?t=NomqLKge6YFatjfTpv-IDg&s=19
They're barely even trying to hide it anymore. Russia knows the west won't do poo poo. So here's your warning for yet another atrocity that's going to end up in this thread.

They are just preparing to make some delicious salmiakki. Just need some hydrochloric acid.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Der Kyhe posted:

Finnish National Railways company added extra shifts to trains running between Helsinki and St. Petersburg and Moscow, because they are fully booked into infinite with people deciding to rather live in EU, than in the Best Korea in making.

People always flee from the winning country in a war, right?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dominoeffect posted:

Out of curiosity, what are your very real reasons to avoid it?

Just as I said, player base is not simply toxic gamers, but also people with political opinions (self-selecting to people who like Russia or tanks). As a video game it used to be quite decent back in my time with it, excluding somewhat pay-to-win business model.

TulliusCicero posted:

Real question:

Would Russia even try a chemical/ WMD attack on Ukraine? Like the West ignored them helping Assad gas his own people, but there is no way that Europe would tolerate seeing a gas attack on a European city right?

...They aren't that stupid enough to go to that level of provocation are they?

I wish I’d have reasons to discard the possibility of Syria-style chemical attack in Ukraine.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Anyone else getting this ad on somethingawful?

Seems extraordinarily lovely.

There’s a QCS thread about it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sinteres posted:

I wonder if the moves to thaw relations with Venezuela and get more of their oil on the market made a difference.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

mobby_6kl posted:

Yep, I though it was unrelated but apparently it's an actual ad for brainwormed tankies

I think it's more likely that the Z banner ad was intended to mock the CSPAM thread. There have been tons of avatar/redtext purchases too.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Wasn't that Saudis, though?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Rad Russian posted:

Aeroflot already stole $10 billion worth of leased planes (most are owned by a company in Ireland). Not even sure how Ireland can recoup.

The article I read said that even if these planes are repossessed later, their maintenance records are no longer internationally tracked/recognized so they will not be airworthy in western countries in a month or so and will be worthless to the companies that actually own them. They won't be able to lease them out or sell them again as they will be considered high-risk with no maintenance records.

That'll show those dastardly NATO members.... Ireland?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

Hilarious and bad for them if true, RIP that guy. Also something eerie about old grey guys telling the truth and young strapping guys threatening the truth with death without knowing anything.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mmkay posted:

Wasn't that Saudis, though?

It was both. They're very closely aligned.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

ImpAtom posted:

Hunter Biden's laptop

HUNTER'S CHINESE DIAMOND

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Willo567 posted:

What is wrong with people? Do they want this to escalate to WW3?
There are always going to be peripheral figures who don't understand the stakes. Thankfully everyone who matters seem to know the score - everyone from Biden, Blinken, Johnson and, in particular, Stoltenberg have made statements that it's just not going to happen. Preventing the war escalating past Ukraine seems to be NATO's absolute first priority.

To quote Blinken
"“[The] president's been very clear about one thing all along as well, which is we're not going to put the United States in direct conflict with Russia, not have, you know, American planes flying against Russian planes or our soldiers on the ground in Ukraine,” Blinken said.

“The president also has a responsibility to not get us into a direct conflict, a direct war with Russia, a nuclear power, and risk a war that expands even beyond Ukraine to Europe. That's clearly not our interest. What we're trying to do is end this war in Ukraine, not start a larger one,” he added.""
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/597060-blinken-on-no-fly-zone-discussions-were-trying-to-end-this-war-in

Stoltenberg:
"“The only way to implement a no-fly zone is to send NATO fighter planes into Ukrainian airspace, and then impose that no-fly zone by shooting down Russian planes,” Stoltenberg said. He said allies believe that “if we did that, we would end up with something that could end in a full-fledged war in Europe.”
(...)
But, Stoltenberg said, “we are not part of this conflict, and we have a responsibility to ensure that it does not escalate and spread beyond Ukraine, because that would be even more devastating and more dangerous.”"
https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-business-europe-antony-blinken-jens-stoltenberg-0ce4ac5076a0338facab78bf624a6d3b

GaussianCopula posted:

Scoring cheap points while not having any responsibility to take action themselves.

People remember NFZs from Libya and Iraq as something that is a rather riskfree and cheap military action to take in cases of bloodlusty tyrannts. If we translated it properly into "do you want NATO to destroy Russian military assets in Ukraine, Russia and Belarus, thereby becoming an active participant in the current war" the question would not even be debated.
Gaussian puts it better than me.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Or maybe's that just the outward appearance they want to give, because 'helping America vs Russia' isn't very popular with their subjects and international partners. Actions speak louder than words in this case. I won't rule they've been given some incentives behind the scenes, but there really is an awful lot of money to make from increasing production. Covid wasn't good for their bottom line. And in times like these having investment money to spare can buy a lot of future clout and wealth. I think there's more than one non-Western nation out there trying to figure out how to fully exploit the sanctions on Russia - having an extra windfall of petrodollars is going to come in pretty handy for that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hahaa christ that dude knew exactly what he was doing, respect

For your context, this is the official TV channel of Russia’s Ministry of Defence.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fritz the Horse posted:

I think it's more likely that the Z banner ad was intended to mock the CSPAM thread. There have been tons of avatar/redtext purchases too.

Hadn't noticed!:laugh:

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/PaulSonne/status/1501602336036331530?s=20&t=EHyq7tfzfaPYnJlp7VxebQ

The best and brightest.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

PerilPastry posted:

There are always going to be peripheral figures who don't understand the stakes. Thankfully everyone who matters seem to know the score - everyone from Biden, Blinken, Johnson and, in particular, Stoltenberg have made statements that it's just not going to happen. Preventing the war escalating past Ukraine seems to be NATO's absolute first priority.

To quote Blinken
"“[The] president's been very clear about one thing all along as well, which is we're not going to put the United States in direct conflict with Russia, not have, you know, American planes flying against Russian planes or our soldiers on the ground in Ukraine,” Blinken said.

“The president also has a responsibility to not get us into a direct conflict, a direct war with Russia, a nuclear power, and risk a war that expands even beyond Ukraine to Europe. That's clearly not our interest. What we're trying to do is end this war in Ukraine, not start a larger one,” he added.""
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/597060-blinken-on-no-fly-zone-discussions-were-trying-to-end-this-war-in

Stoltenberg:
"“The only way to implement a no-fly zone is to send NATO fighter planes into Ukrainian airspace, and then impose that no-fly zone by shooting down Russian planes,” Stoltenberg said. He said allies believe that “if we did that, we would end up with something that could end in a full-fledged war in Europe.”
(...)
But, Stoltenberg said, “we are not part of this conflict, and we have a responsibility to ensure that it does not escalate and spread beyond Ukraine, because that would be even more devastating and more dangerous.”"
https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-business-europe-antony-blinken-jens-stoltenberg-0ce4ac5076a0338facab78bf624a6d3b

Gaussian puts it better than me.

I just worry that the stupid, moronic public who has no idea what a no-fly zone actually entails pressures the U.S. or NATO as a whole to implement one, and when people are told what could happen (war with NATO and Russia), they claim we're already at war with Russia.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

OddObserver posted:

Renaissance through violence of war. Pretty sure that's come up before.

Speaking of, I was stopped dead in my tracks by the eerie renaissance quality framed by the window in this sad photo of a train evacuee. Sorry I don't have an attribution.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

Ok, so what are your thoughts on the matter? Given that there are neo-nazis pretty much everywhere in Russia and Eastern Europe (and Western Europe, and the US, etc), I would certainly like to know what point you're trying to make. Are you actually suggesting that Putin is both technically and morally correct about de-Nazifying Ukraine (despite Russia's use of their own neo-Nazi forces and support for right wing/neo-nazis in general all over the world)? Just curious about what you are trying to get at with the posts you continue to make about the existence of Ukrainian nazis.

e: I promise I'm not trying to bait you into a probe or anything, you can respond however you wish.

I want to add another point of view to all this, and I'm not a regular poster nowhere here, nor in c-spam. I'm mostly a lurker.
From a Central European point of view, there's something else I'm forced to consider - obviously, there's absolutely no way the aggression can be justified. Still, I can't deny there are plenty of potential bad outcomes with the course of action NATO chose to pursue, while respecting the thought that there probably would've been other, and probably worse, with "lighter" (wrt answering to the aggression) courses anyway.
I can find primarily two - the first is that if, as a European, I already find myself at odds with social policies put into action by Hungarian and Polish governments, any setup towards Ukraine applying for EU membership and sidestepping critical analysis on its official and accountable position on such issues is extremely dangerous. To be honest, this stopped being a talking point shortly after the war began but has been in the talks for a bit too long for comfort, and the narration built around the heroic people of Ukraine felt a bit instrumental in such setup;
the second one is that whatever the outcome will be, since NATO can't establish any logistic operation within Ukraine, whatever weapons and know-how corruption will be able to weasel into the hands of organized crime will be a gift to organized crime. That's an issue that Eastern Europe will have to deal with.

That being said, I don't see how keeping these concerns somewhere in my opinion sphere justifies Putin's war, nor alters the final considerations on how NATO should handle this situation, and I understand it's a eurocentric point of view on a US-centric board, so please take this into account as well.

Char fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 9, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

"Find me the imbecile who ordered our troops to invade Ukraine and sack him"

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 9, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cocaine Bear posted:

That'll show those dastardly NATO members.... Ireland?
Well now they're going to ask Gerry to get involved

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

People always flee from the winning country in a war, right?

I'd be so angry if I were Russian. Just trying to live your life and then the boss man decides to start an unwinnable war, thereby also completely destroying the economy in the process

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

PederP posted:

Or maybe's that just the outward appearance they want to give, because 'helping America vs Russia' isn't very popular with their subjects and international partners. Actions speak louder than words in this case. I won't rule they've been given some incentives behind the scenes, but there really is an awful lot of money to make from increasing production. Covid wasn't good for their bottom line. And in times like these having investment money to spare can buy a lot of future clout and wealth. I think there's more than one non-Western nation out there trying to figure out how to fully exploit the sanctions on Russia - having an extra windfall of petrodollars is going to come in pretty handy for that.

Edit: Actually nvm, this is turning into a bit of a derail that's only tangentially related to the conflict but I'd be happy to discuss it in the ME thread.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

After thorough investigation, we have found that actually all the conscripts signed up for contract service and therefore no conscripts are in Ukraine

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Alchenar posted:

"Find me the imbecile who ordered our troops to invite Ukraine and sack him"

Quite the invitation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sinteres posted:

This is all speculation, but from that perspective, wouldn't it make more sense for them to keep prices high to grab money hand over first right now and then flood the market once competitors come online to prove that they can make investments in super expensive oil bad plays? Especially if you assume Russia's going to find a way to export more of their oil somewhere in the long run and the crisis highs will eventually come down.
An additional factor is that at this point electric vehicles are the future which is going to change the market landscape. This seems to be baked in and is unlikely to be reversed, although it may be sped or slowed. Making fuel cheaper is going to slow it, as well as meaning that the UAE makes more money total from their oil resources, which will be much less valuable if nearly all motor vehicles are electric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

KitConstantine posted:

I remember this one. Showing coffins draped in the American flag was by necessity admitting that people were dying in the Iraq war and thus "Disrespecting their memory" by making people acknowledge the bodycount.