Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

deoju posted:

Thanks for the info.

No worries. No amount of lead is good for you, but adult consumption is generally less consequential. It's possible to get acute lead poisoning, but if you were hand sanding I doubt you breathed enough that it's going to give you brain or organ damage. You'll probably be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One weird trick to protect against giant hornets.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Aw, cute l'il honeybees!

The 'ol spicy honeypot

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's one way to ensure nobody fucks with the switches, I approve.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

By popular demand posted:

That's one way to ensure nobody fucks with the switches, I approve.

Lockout tagout Ant Man style

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Platystemon posted:

Gotta watch out for those Federal Pacific Sting-Lok panels

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Platystemon posted:

:yikes:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Platystemon posted:

How do you even begin to un-bee that thing? It looks industrial so I don't think someone is going to be happy if their power was down for more than a few minutes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zil posted:

How do you even begin to un-bee that thing? It looks industrial so I don't think someone is going to be happy if their power was down for more than a few minutes.

Call a bee keeper. They will take the queen, the rest will follow the queen. Then it's like any other sticky mess.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Then it's like any other sticky mess.

aka, facilities tells some guy making minimum wage to grab a mop and bucket and wipe it off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s like the Armageddon problem. Do you train an electrician to handle bees or train a beekeeper to handle electric hardware?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Facebook Aunt posted:

Call a bee keeper. They will take the queen, the rest will follow the queen. Then it's like any other sticky mess.

Also FYI:

If you're having a problem finding a beekeeper just search for honey brands near your area.

I collected a business card at a honey stall at a farmers market.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jeherrin posted:

I found some load-bearing crushed beer cans used as shims under radiator pipes when I renovated my flat in Glasgow, Scotland.

A cut open and flattened out can of Castrol GTX used to "level" two busted floorboards is the "best" I've found.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
For a while I had a couple of dudes specializing in hive/swarm removal in my youtube recs on the regular. Way more interesting and entertaining than I would have thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgOYLDf5Wv8

Like, I'm mildly phobic, and that's still a really neat video.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Glad I'm not the only one that breaks out into hives at the thought of doing electrical work.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the important thing to remember? bees nuts haha got em

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Empty Sandwich posted:

the important thing to remember? bees nuts haha got em

Oh, Honey, no

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Equally as bad as the one earlier where they didn't even remove the toilet paper roll before painting.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Cotter pin is still split, it's good.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Blue indicates a training grenade. Look at the handle.

Also, can't afford black marble? Just paint your granite! https://v.redd.it/v44hrsbngrm81

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

kid sinister posted:

Blue indicates a training grenade. Look at the handle.

Also, can't afford black marble? Just paint your granite! https://v.redd.it/v44hrsbngrm81
In this case, blue just indicates what color the room used to be

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

https://imgur.com/gallery/ByspKer

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Groverhaus upgrade opportunity

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Okay those Loss edits are just incomprehensible now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PurpleXVI posted:

I remember once while we were doing some renovations at this kinda mansiony-looking place, we found some ancient newspapers, narrating the uncertainty and upheaval of mandatory public schooling's introduction in Denmark. Stuff like that is kind of interesting.

Superman comics in the newspaper under the carpet. I think as cheap insulation.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Platystemon posted:

Groverhaus upgrade opportunity

A new kind of ground loop

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/tdx6b5/steam_gurgling_and_a_smokey_smell_coming_from_the/

quote:

For context, I’m bodge fixing an old fence post. It’s a chicken wire fence and the stray post is pushing into my neighbours lawn.

So I’ve wrapped some metal wire around the post, drilled through the a metal rod and intertwined it. Here I am whacking the rod in with my lump hammer when about 15 inches down it makes a good loud gurgle and starts emitting steam for about 10-15 seconds, not just from the rod hole but about a foot either way, and bubbling with a sort of acrid slightly smokey smell. Perhaps a hint of sulphur I suppose.

What is happening? It’s made me nervous to hit it again and I’ve backed off!

I’m 99% sure it’s not a pipe. We have a 30m long, narrow back garden and this is about 18m down. Our water and gas are all supplied from the front of the house and our back garden looks out over a long stretch of field.

Edit: video link posted below. I’m not digging / touching it. The fire service are on their way and the local council are looking at records of any works/service pipes in the area.

https://i.imgur.com/gmQn7LJ.mp4

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Dug into hell and satans pissed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

“Steam”?!?!

Gonna guess he hit some electrical line and it’s cooking the mucky soil?

e: Looks like he posted an update. Sure enough, he hit the mains, or a branch right off it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zil posted:

Dug into hell and satans pissed.

“Hang on. I need to make a few calls to Washington.”

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Isn't there a loving phone number to call for this exact thing?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
That number only works before you dig. If you call after you start digging it's just a room full of people on speakerphone that laugh at you.

hence the name

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

811 is the preventive number
911 is the abortive number

But also it sounds like he’s in the UK or something so the actual number would be 01189998819991197253

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 14, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

811 is the preventive number
911 is the abortive number

But also it sounds like he’s in the UK or something so the actual number would be 01189998819991197253

And it changes on the weekends for some reason.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dareon posted:

For a while I had a couple of dudes specializing in hive/swarm removal in my youtube recs on the regular. Way more interesting and entertaining than I would have thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgOYLDf5Wv8

Like, I'm mildly phobic, and that's still a really neat video.

Man, I can't imagine casually grabbing a handful of bees to see what kind of mood they're in.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Man, I can't imagine casually grabbing a handful of bees to see what kind of mood they're in.

My understanding, as a non-expert, is that bees are only really dangerous when you disrupt their hive. Swarming bees (like in that video) don't have a hive; they split off from an old one with a new queen, and are working on finding a new home. Their priority is to stick with the queen, and they're a lot more chill than the stereotypical stinging bee.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
My wife is in commercial property management so she see all kinds of stuff. The bees reminded me of this email she sent me (slightly edited to remove names/locations).

…the attached photo you will see are several snakes that were found in the shed at the site where several large breakers to the building are located. Jon stated that the main power would not come on this morning at 5:00a.m.
Jon contacted the electrician to come out to check the breakers and found these snakes in where the breaker box is.  They report that the three snakes that were depicted the one on the far left more than likely was the one that caused the power outage this morning as the snake was burnt.   They found several others dead on the ground approximately 20 dead snakes.    Jon stated their network went down at about 5:25 p.m. on  Saturday.

I have not received any power outage reports from the other two tenants. 

Electrician was able to make repairs and clean out the snakes.  Jon was able to plug the holes were the snakes were getting into the building.  They did suggest that perhaps due to a mice issue inside the building this was causing the snakes to get into the building.

We will want to make sure this building has the grass mowed around it often and determine if ongoing pest control would help eliminate a future episode with the snakes.

I will send you another photo of the dead snakes once I receive it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My understanding, as a non-expert, is that bees are only really dangerous when you disrupt their hive. Swarming bees (like in that video) don't have a hive; they split off from an old one with a new queen, and are working on finding a new home. Their priority is to stick with the queen, and they're a lot more chill than the stereotypical stinging bee.

Now wasps on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

By popular demand posted:

Now wasps on the other hand...

That's the type of boxing I can get behind.