Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

I played the PS5 demo last night in performance mode and while i didn't notice any sort of framerate loss or slowdown at any point, there was a noticeable amount of shadow flickering. I just got finished playing FF7r so most of my trouble was switching to the control scheme here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

holy poo poo, SE just put up the full OSTs for every mainline FF game, the Chrono/SaGa/Mana series, etc. on their Youtube

Bunch of curated playlists too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8H_qJlJzUk

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMx60HYcw1ieiPlZZagfqXQ/playlists

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

PirateZim posted:

I played the PS5 demo last night in performance mode and while i didn't notice any sort of framerate loss or slowdown at any point, there was a noticeable amount of shadow flickering. I just got finished playing FF7r so most of my trouble was switching to the control scheme here.

Yeah, my muscle memory is struggling to learn the control scheme and fighting the MonHun World and Elden Ring control schemes. I'm surprised I managed to beat Garland at all.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Black Mage is pretty OP, at least for these demo stages

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The main change I've seen across the three demos (on hard mode) is that your companions are a lot more competent, in the first demo they were basically a roadblock (for both you and the enemies) and would be dead in a boss room in seconds.

Now it feels really viable for you to hit with ranged or switch to support while they keep the enemies pinned down

These tonberries are MFers though and can wipe you in two seconds if you're not careful. On the other hand the animation when Jack executes them is pretty messed up lol

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Loving the SoP demo, it’s just so fun to play. They def decreased the difficulty though, I breezed through all the levels for the most part on normal, although the Astos level boss killed me about a dozen times. Ronin job is dope as heck! Glad it looks much better than the demos (on PS5). I’m honestly considering doing my first playthrough on hard.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Chaos status: Killed

Going through the FF1PR, I realized that I don't know if I've ever actually beaten FF1 before. I've played it a billion times but I don't remember actually finishing it.

Some thoughts:
- Marsh Cave continues to be a motherfucker.
- I started to think Warmechs didn't exist. I literally spent 4 hours trying to fight a warmech to complete the bestiary. By the time I was done, I was so overleveled that I was level 70 during the Chaos fight, completely clowning him.
- I can definitely understand areas where the game could get expanded. You get a boat an hour in and then are with that boat for a LONG time. By the time you get the airship, you're a hop, skip, and a jump from the end of the game.
- I'm ready to kill Chaos again in a week.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boy of Joy posted:

Loving the SoP demo, it’s just so fun to play. They def decreased the difficulty though, I breezed through all the levels for the most part on normal, although the Astos level boss killed me about a dozen times. Ronin job is dope as heck! Glad it looks much better than the demos (on PS5). I’m honestly considering doing my first playthrough on hard.

I feel like it is toned down a bit for vets of the genre. Hard is probably the way to go.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like it is toned down a bit for vets of the genre. Hard is probably the way to go.

If it's anything like Nioh I am assuming the story missions will be pretty straightforward and then there will be side challenges that are like... "a test of your reflexes!!!"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wish there was a PC demo for SoP. I want to see how it runs on my PC before buying it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

could always just refund it if it runs bad :shrug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I wish there was a PC demo for SoP. I want to see how it runs on my PC before buying it.

For what it's worth, Team Ninja ports have been pretty solid. Not sure how refunds work on Epic Game Store though. Epic is a pretty greedy company, but does anyone have experience with their policy on this?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Augus posted:

could always just refund it if it runs bad :shrug:

I really wanted to be The Good Guy on stuff like this but I spent $60 on a game on Steam and apparently broke the 2-hour refund limit just by loving around with settings and .ini changes etc. to get the loving thing to run.

Demo or :filez:, no regrets.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

There's no way to be purely ranged in Strangers of Paradise, right?

All classes, even the mages, are expected to go into melee?

Ither fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 10, 2022

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Boy of Joy posted:

Maybe it's because I've played through the Chaos Shrine in both prior demos now, but I definitely felt like it was easier, even playing on Hard. I only took two attempts on the boss, as opposed to the hours it too last time I came to kill Chaos. It took me longer to kill the Tonberry.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ither posted:

There's way to be purely ranged in Strangers of Paradise, right?

All classes, even the mages, are expected to go into melee?

Mages build up MP by hitting stuff so you have to "get in" occasionally and definitely in boss fights. But for the pulls in levels there have been plenty of fights where I stayed back and flung firagas

Hmm the Void Knight has Runic-style absorb enemy attacks for MP so you could probably pair it with mage to be self-sustaining at range

Edit: oh duh yeah even the normal soul shield gives you MP so the possibility is there. I don't think there's a ranged weapon class though

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 10, 2022

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

dolphinbomb posted:

I downloaded the demo, and as much as I'm excited to KILL CHAOS, this might be one I wait until I have a PS5 for. The game is rough on a base PS4. It plays alright, but even in performance mode there's a lot of frame drops during battle, and outside of prerendered cutscenes the game is very blurry and low-res.

Yeah, why the hell is the game so blurry on PS4? It feels like it's in that 'performance' mode PC games use to let them run on lower-end machines that makes it look like you're playing the game through frosted glass.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yeah, why the hell is the game so blurry on PS4? It feels like it's in that 'performance' mode PC games use to let them run on lower-end machines that makes it look like you're playing the game through frosted glass.

Its got a miserable CPU and GPU tech that's nearly a decade old. Calling it 'lower-end' would be excessive praise in 2022.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I am long past caring about this Diablo-esque randomised equipment with microbonuses. Give me stuff with consistent effects or give me nothing. :colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think there's a ranged weapon class though

I haven't tried it yet, but Lancer looks like it's that. Kinda?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lancer has an ability to throw the lance but it also uses MP

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Its got a miserable CPU and GPU tech that's nearly a decade old. Calling it 'lower-end' would be excessive praise in 2022.

Yet, at least on the pro, Forbidden West looks almost as good as the ps5 version and plays at a consistent 30fps framerate. SoP looks way worse than Nioh and the framerate is all over the place, I don't get it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yet, at least on the pro, Forbidden West looks almost as good as the ps5 version and plays at a consistent 30fps framerate. SoP looks way worse than Nioh and the framerate is all over the place, I don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, there's still all sorts of room for great / terrible ports, just pointing out how old and anemic the hardware in the base model PS4 is; its absolutely running in as performance-mode a performance mode as they can make it. The pro at least has twice the graphics hardware, on a microarch 3 years more recent than the base model's.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

SoP seems to be running at 1440p at best and noticeably below 1080p at worst in performance mode on a Xbox Series X. It isn't a particularly great looking game anyway, but in the tutorial wheat field the resolution looks like an Xbox One S game. At least it seems to keep 60FPS.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mordiceius posted:

Chaos status: Killed

Going through the FF1PR, I realized that I don't know if I've ever actually beaten FF1 before. I've played it a billion times but I don't remember actually finishing it.

Some thoughts:
- Marsh Cave continues to be a motherfucker.
- I started to think Warmechs didn't exist. I literally spent 4 hours trying to fight a warmech to complete the bestiary. By the time I was done, I was so overleveled that I was level 70 during the Chaos fight, completely clowning him.
- I can definitely understand areas where the game could get expanded. You get a boat an hour in and then are with that boat for a LONG time. By the time you get the airship, you're a hop, skip, and a jump from the end of the game.
- I'm ready to kill Chaos again in a week.

I’m ready to kill and become chaos

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Chocobo GP dropped. Good news: it's 60 FPS, despite the trailers. That's awesome! Bad news: in game currency for sale.

So I only got the free Lite version of it, and there's a few things about it. One is that certain items aren't available to buy, even if you have the in game currency for them, they're just straight up restricted to the paid version, even if you have enough coins you can't buy Squall for example. There's also a second set of premium login bonuses for paid version owners, which Cloud is in, meaning you can't get him either. Oh yeah, and the Story mode is restricted to just the prologue, which is one race against Gilgamesh. And the tutorial loving sucks. You'll see what I mean if you play it.

While you can do the GP race against other people online and still get one set of login bonuses, this really is more of a demo than anything else. You're restricted to three characters, can't change your vehicle, and a bunch of game options are locked out. It looks neat, but 50 bucks is a bit much for me even if it looks really good. But I gotta say I'm not a fan of charging for in game currency if you're already dropping money on the full version of the game, that's pretty hosed up. Either sell the game, or do the Nintendo Free to Start thing, don't do both. That's just lovely.

I love the balls of having a battle pass in a $50 kart racer.

Game seems fine from the "free-to-play" version, but don't think I want to deal with all that bullshit, especially if I gotta pay $50 and still deal with that poo poo, let alone when Mario Kart's about to get a ton of new tracks anyway.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I did a couple chocobo GP races and in one of them I was about to win and then right before the finish line i got hit by something and ended up 7th so they nailed that aspect of kart racers at least

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Maybe I'll watch a story mode longplay, I don't really want to race karts the more I think about it

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

How many courses does the game have. Cause selling like a handful of courses and characters for 50$ and having microtransactions on top VS 96 courses and every character included in 65$ for Mario Kart is completely onesided lol.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I read 9 courses, which is not a lot.

We are a pro Mario Kart household, but it's been on the roster for years now and I need a change up so I was excited for GP, but not for only 9 tracks.

At least we're getting another billion Mario Kart tracks.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

GP looks like terrible value. A great idea absolutely ruined by the suits

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Boy of Joy posted:

I'm probably just bad at soulslikes because Garland knocked me down a good 30+ times before I beat him with the power of my nakama. Bikke felt a lot easier in comparison.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

GP looks like terrible value. A great idea absolutely ruined by the suits

I feel like it's a demonstration of a bit of a cycle with non-Mario kart racers. People think it's not worth competing with Mariokart, so companies cheap out when they try so they don't lose out on too much, which means they look like crap next to Mariokart, which means that people think it's not worth competing when they try...

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
We had one brief moment when it looked like someone was going to step up to challenge Mario Kart and we got Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed which basically forced Nintendo to go all out on Mario Kart 8 instead of being lazy like MK7...

And then it took years to get the next game, and Sonic Team Racing was such a weird step back, even without the odd but sometimes really fun Team Racing mechanics. And seeing that, Nintendo has decided it never needs to move on from Mario Kart 8, and Chocobo GP is not the game that will change their mind. Oh well.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 11, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's about time we had a Yakuza racing game tbqh

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

My experience with pure Soulslikes and anything adjacent is fairly limited. I was able to complete Code Vein without too much hair pulling, but I just gave up on Nioh because it was way too punishing. SoP so far (and I've only played to a bit into the Chaos Shrine) seems to be. . . kind of a happy medium? Lots of flexibility like in Code Vein with more speed and no stamina usage to worry about. Pugilist feels great, maybe because I love punching things in the face a lot. Doesn't look terrible (not that great either, and I'm on PS4), but hooo boy that edge. Like, I can see any Final Fantasy fan who hasn't been familiarized with the game's tone will be very off-put by all the edge. Nomura wanted to tell the story of an angry man and he seems to have succeeded with aplomb.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

littlebigplanet kart was cool you could use the littlebigplanet skins and everything

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm probably just bad at soulslikes because Garland knocked me down a good 30+ times before I beat him with the power of my nakama. Bikke felt a lot easier in comparison.

I don't think it took me quite that long, but Garland was definitely the hardest fight for me too.

At this point, I've just been running through him real quick for free job level shards though. Once I got used to the timing, turns out Soul Shield, counters and spells utterly steamroll :v:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Sonic All Stars is actually better than Mario Kart in many ways too

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Played the Stranger of Paradise demo. I love this game, it is good enough that I can escape the pull of Elden Ring for it.

The pacing is nuts, I had a cutscene of meeting my boys in front of the castle then text saying “THEY HAD AN ADVENTURE TO PROVE THEMSELVES TO THE KING” then we’re talking on a boat?? Then another bit of text telling me “SO THEY RETURNED AND NOW THEY TALK TO THE KING”. It’s like it’s incomplete, or they realized that mission was boring so they cut it. This game is gonna rule.

I don’t have a PS5 and it looks super jagged on my PS4pro, maybe resolution mode would help but I don’t want to lose framerate. I’ll be picking it up on PC for sure.

All the jobs I’ve tried so far feel great. I can’t wait to kill chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think the PS5 version looks...okay, based on streams, but the PS4 version looks like garbage.