Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Madkal posted:

What I am really failing to understand here is who are the communists supposed to be? Russia hasn't been a communist country in decades. Russia has never been a communist country under Putin. Russia's entire structure under Putin has been very very far from communist, so who does this person actually think "the libs" are rooting against?

Russia = Communist, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Xotl posted:

ethnically the oblast is now 85%+ Russian and Russia wants to keep it.
Nobody look how that happened please.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Madkal posted:

What I am really failing to understand here is who are the communists supposed to be? Russia hasn't been a communist country in decades. Russia has never been a communist country under Putin. Russia's entire structure under Putin has been very very far from communist, so who does this person actually think "the libs" are rooting against?

only america/west has agency. that's basically it. also "the libs" are the greatest threat. these fucks didn't learn anything from the rise of nazi germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_fascism

like i like parts of marxism alot and mostly agree with at least its use as lense to study history, but this shits kinda poisoned it for me hard.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Some people don't actually have coherent ideologies, and a lot of the worse "leftists" are just fundamentally opposed to American and Western European dominance. When you stop trying to pin any other ideology on them, it makes sense.

The other thing is that in a coherent leftist ideology, there are no good guys directly involved in this conflict. Neither an authoritarian oligarchy or a corrupt, barely functional democracy that is attempting to liberalize is your friend. So these types become reactionaries against the Western media narrative and start saying really dumb things.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1502067341454376961

:thunk:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Xotl posted:

No one wants to open that can of worms, especially since ethnically the oblast is now 85%+ Russian and Russia wants to keep it.

Russian doctrine was to expel the locals from annexed territory and resettle it with Russians to avoid any uprisings or having to deal with a minority population. Returning Kaliningrad to Germany/Poland or the Kuril islands to Japan would mean that these countries would suddenly find themselves inheriting large Russian minority areas.

I recall reading at some point that Kaliningrad has some serious environmental issues as well.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russia going all in on this bullshit huh.
https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1502071182996164609?t=WiAGr9uZUcfQtf-sEc5r3g&s=19
Well. Huh.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are they regrouping northwards to avoid getting surrounded and decimated?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Russia, successor state to the USSR, stands against the West and is friendly with China. This puts them on the same team, at least in spirit, with people who are against the West across the whole ideological spectrum.

Add in Putin cultivating a specific kind of image that facilitates forming a parasocial relationship with, and Russia's shotgun approach to propaganda, and anyone so inclined can just pick and choose what is true while projecting their own ideas to the nature of whatever conflicts they get involved in.

And for this invasion Putin has gone full mask-off, the chickens have come home to roost, and those people are now being forced to deal with the cognitive dissonance - it's not about trying to win internet arguments, its about mental gymnastics and masks coming off.

ED: and this is completely independent of libhawks existing and being morons

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
NYT is reporting the whole Facebook allowing for calls for violence against Russians in ‘certain’ countries thing now.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

NYT is reporting the whole Facebook allowing for calls for violence against Russians in ‘certain’ countries thing now.

Le sigh, this is how misinformation spreads. We literally have a live example in front of us.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

MadJackal posted:

Yeah my money’s on capitalism on this one.

In the 90's when all the theft made so many rich, someone told me that the Soviets believed everything they learned in school and were warned about capitalism: rapacious, cuthroat thievery run by the mafia. So they emulated it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

FizFashizzle posted:

WNC has a sizable Ukrainian population.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1502005236520607749?s=21

Not sure the play here. From any angle, Russian honeypot wife aside.

Get on on the ground floor for the "Moscow Madison" sobriquet

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

only america/west has agency. that's basically it. also "the libs" are the greatest threat. these fucks didn't learn anything from the rise of nazi germany.

like i like parts of marxism alot and mostly agree with at least its use as lense to study history, but this shits kinda poisoned it for me hard.

The social democrats reeeeeeely hosed over the German communists; they even armed and used the freikorps (the beta for Nazism) to crush communist agitation. The social democrats also betrayed the second international by being pro wwi. The lesson was never join a popular front. They were correct in the context of German parliamentary politics and in that social democratic parties rapidly become bourgeoisie.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Lol that Russia can’t even sustain an offensive even after days of consolidation and resupply.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"It seems while the Ukrainians were shelling and attacking themselves, devious plots become known to Russia alone."

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

CommieGIR posted:

"It seems while the Ukrainians were shelling and attacking themselves, devious plots become known to Russia alone."

Clearly they were trying to hide the evidence!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Redeployed where? Belarus?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

awesome-express posted:

Le sigh, this is how misinformation spreads. We literally have a live example in front of us.

to be fair Facebook kind of has it coming on the whole spreading fake news thing

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

Russian doctrine was to expel the locals from annexed territory and resettle it with Russians to avoid any uprisings or having to deal with a minority population. Returning Kaliningrad to Germany/Poland or the Kuril islands to Japan would mean that these countries would suddenly find themselves inheriting large Russian minority areas.

Not if they decided to move to Crimea or Siberia first.

poo poo at least when the Americans couldn't find any WMDs they were like huh I guess we'll never know :shrug:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

In a nice side note, Kazakhstan is doing their best :unsmith:
https://twitter.com/b_nishanov/status/1502069706806681600?t=eweskHLyXENj2_OLAixpMg&s=19
Russia is putting a lot of pressure on them to take their side and they're staying firmly on Ukraines side for this
https://twitter.com/LukeDCoffey/status/1502074443253882885?t=wI9L_m2ZpJFOoTMWzBkUtQ&s=19
Guessing that flashing the Soviet Union flag won't do Russia any favors there

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo, greatest nation in world confirmed!

I have to say I'm also shocked by their behavior considering they got just bailed out by putin

E: I'm well aware of their own history with Russians, I just thought it would be more important to suck up now

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 11, 2022

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

DandyLion posted:

Clearly they were trying to hide the evidence!

And clearly the secret American weapons lab were taken by complete surprise by the attack they'd been yelling to the world was coming for the last month.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Also while the official Belarusian army hasn't moved a step Belarusian fighters on the side of Ukraine are filming flashy recruitment videos
https://twitter.com/war_noir/status/1502056977798680578?t=lkATYSkC8mMbgqMllBTwpg&s=19
I wouldn't call it a great sign for Lukashenko

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This is not 'basically it.' Lots of online lefties are being dumb as poo poo about this war because A) people in general are ignorant as hell about foreign policy and will simply read it through their ideological priors, and B) after two decades of the media cheerleading bloody, idiotic, criminal overseas wars under a rhetoric of liberation and human dignity they are primed to believe the opposite of what it tells them. C) addendum to B, the current atmosphere in the papers and liberal commentariat is vaguely reminiscent of the post 9-11 jingoist nightmare and thats probably throwing people as well (see DSA's deeply embarassing statements on the war for example)

also people posting context-less fragments of early 20th century history from loving wikipedia is not helping, and we probably shouldnt just open the can of worms that is Weimar era social democratic and communist politics itt!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/b_nishanov/status/1502069706806681600?t=eweskHLyXENj2_OLAixpMg&s=19
Russia is putting a lot of pressure on them to take their side and they're staying firmly on Ukraines side for this
https://twitter.com/LukeDCoffey/status/1502074443253882885?t=wI9L_m2ZpJFOoTMWzBkUtQ&s=19

I think Kazakhstan is getting very strong "this could be you" vibes from the Ukraine invasion and would very much prefer it to be a failure.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

This is excellent news, I imagine despite Kazakhstan's links to Putin they feel safe to do this because Russia's military is far too busy to open up another front, and Russia's economy and reputation is tunneling into the Earth's core so it's a better move all around to move away from them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

KitConstantine posted:

Also while the official Belarusian army hasn't moved a step Belarusian fighters on the side of Ukraine are filming flashy recruitment videos
https://twitter.com/war_noir/status/1502056977798680578?t=lkATYSkC8mMbgqMllBTwpg&s=19
I wouldn't call it a great sign for Lukashenko

Haha maybe those Russians are pulling out of Ukraine in case there’s a coup in Belarus and they get cut off from their supply lines even more.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

My brain is too broke to determine if this is real, satire, or terror.
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1502077728044036096?cxt=HHwWgMC50YfvudgpAAAA

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Redeployed where? Belarus?

Looks like they just moved off the road some? Not sure. Pictures below

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I think Kazakhstan is getting very strong "this could be you" vibes from the Ukraine invasion and would very much prefer it to be a failure.

Zyuganov literally gave a "North Kazakhstan is Russia!" speech recently.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

KitConstantine posted:

Kazakhstan can re-adjust into the Chinese sphere of influence any time they like.

They have a long border with China and the Chinese market is larger and richer than the Russian one.

China wants help securing its western territories and hey look at who’s right there.

Putin is bogged down in Ukraine, what’s he going to do, open a second front thousands of km away?

Kazakhstan is 19% Russian ethnicity, so that’s a lot of Russian people, but they can be “invited” to leave an Asian country. It is definitely not Russia.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Kazakhstan can re-adjust into the Chinese sphere of influence any time they like.

They have a long border with China and the Chinese market is larger and richer than the Russian one.

China wants help securing its western territories and hey look at who’s right there.

Putin is bogged down in Ukraine, what’s he going to do, open a second front thousands of km away?

Kazakhstan is 19% Russian ethnicity, so that’s a lot of Russian people, but they can be “invited” to leave an Asian country. It is definitely not Russia.

Also I remember reading somewhere that China has been investing heavily in Kasakhstan infrastructure with their new silk road program

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

yeah they are gonna be the next on the list if russia somehow makes all this work perfectly. i wouldnt be shocked if more states end up trying to break away soon.

Fuligin posted:

This is not 'basically it.' Lots of online lefties are being dumb as poo poo about this war because A) people in general are ignorant as hell about foreign policy and will simply read it through their ideological priors, and B) after two decades of the media cheerleading bloody, idiotic, criminal overseas wars under a rhetoric of liberation and human dignity they are primed to believe the opposite of what it tells them. C) addendum to B, the current atmosphere in the papers and liberal commentariat is vaguely reminiscent of the post 9-11 jingoist nightmare and thats probably throwing people as well (see DSA's deeply embarassing statements on the war for example)

also people posting context-less fragments of early 20th century history from loving wikipedia is not helping, and we probably shouldnt just open the can of worms that is Weimar era social democratic and communist politics itt!

good points. thanks.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo, greatest nation in world confirmed!

I have to say I'm also shocked by their behavior considering they got just bailed out by putin

E: I'm well aware of their own history with Russians, I just thought it would be more important to suck up now

This is what happens when people smell blood in the water around "strongmen".

Putin's means of gaining power creates not just a lot of enemies but a lot of "friends" who are just waiting for a sign of weakness.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah they are gonna be the next on the list if russia somehow makes all this work perfectly. i wouldnt be shocked if more states end up trying to break away soon.

good points. thanks.

A lot of them should know better and are deceiving themselves. I think it is fair in this case to draw a direct parallel to the Second World War and they are, in essence, arguing in favor of the the side of state capitalist nationalism trying to take territory from their neighbors under the guise of “Greater Russia.”

This is a textbook definition of people on the left supporting fascism and being intentionally oblivious—because the United States is ‘bad.’

And I am saying this as a Marxist.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fuligin posted:

This utterly depresses me. Especially since this includes some otherwise good people, and I don't know how to get through to them. And it's no longer limited to niche "terminally online" radicals living in an echo chamber. Remember that NY councilwoman that was basically reciting Russia's propaganda verbatim?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

the popes toes posted:

My brain is too broke to determine if this is real, satire, or terror.
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1502077728044036096?cxt=HHwWgMC50YfvudgpAAAA

Either way I really want to try their chicken.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rinkles posted:

This utterly depresses me. Especially since this includes some otherwise good people, and I don't know how to get through to them. And it's no longer limited to niche "terminally online" radicals living in an echo chamber. Remember that NY councilwoman that was basically reciting Russia's propaganda verbatim?
Well, you know the whole 'you are not immune to propaganda' thing, and Russia has been deliberately and thoughtfully messaging to the United States audience on this topic for years and years. This was the purpose of Russia Today, the TV network, and so on and so forth. In 2011 I turned it on in a hotel room and joked 'let's see what Putin wants us to think today'. But that is literally why there is Russia Today, the TV network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rinkles posted:

this. like seeing a disability activist loving screaming insane tankie poo poo over a country where they would probably be at best treated like poo poo for their gender and disabilities.