Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

armorer posted:

I suspect this was in reference to Ukraine.

And that situation is wildly unpopular over in Russia too. Artel W posted "gently caress the war" on their insta but they're probably gonna be boned for a while cause how are they gonna ship their prints out of Russia in the near future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cross posing!

This patreon is seriously the best deal I've ever found.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Anyone have a source for powerfists/powerswords and that sort of Space Marine thing? I know that sort of thing has to be out there but I don't think I'm searching correctly.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

EdsTeioh posted:

Anyone have a source for powerfists/powerswords and that sort of Space Marine thing? I know that sort of thing has to be out there but I don't think I'm searching correctly.

https://twitter.com/BitsHammer/status/1497625744339451909

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Adeptus Kayfabicus

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

This is good poo poo

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

So I've gone BACK to having failures now, with the same prints. I successfully printed these a few times, tried something else that failed, then went back to the old files which now have around a 40% success rate (7 items on the plate; get around 3 good ones). Could this be from a damaged FEP? When I scraped it the first few times I think I dented it a bit.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

EdsTeioh posted:

So I've gone BACK to having failures now, with the same prints. I successfully printed these a few times, tried something else that failed, then went back to the old files which now have around a 40% success rate (7 items on the plate; get around 3 good ones). Could this be from a damaged FEP? When I scraped it the first few times I think I dented it a bit.

There are a bunch of things it could be. Crapy FEP is one, FEP losing its tension is another. Dents in FEPs don't usually cause failures in its own, but it makes it more prone to leaking. FEPs do wear out though - how old is the one you are using? Are the failures always in the same place?

Other random thoughts

- first of all, try re-leveling, or at least do the paper test to make sure it hasn't loosened up
- Is the FEP getting cloudy?
- have you checked to make sure the LCD is clean?
- Change Resin? New bottle?
- maybe try using a different resin/bottle
- is the resin cold? Temperature changes?
- are you SURE you didn't tweak anything in the slicer?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Doctor Zero posted:

There are a bunch of things it could be. Crapy FEP is one, FEP losing its tension is another. Dents in FEPs don't usually cause failures in its own, but it makes it more prone to leaking. FEPs do wear out though - how old is the one you are using? Are the failures always in the same place?

Other random thoughts

- first of all, try re-leveling, or at least do the paper test to make sure it hasn't loosened up
- Is the FEP getting cloudy?
- have you checked to make sure the LCD is clean?
- Change Resin? New bottle?
- maybe try using a different resin/bottle
- is the resin cold? Temperature changes?
- are you SURE you didn't tweak anything in the slicer?

The FEP and printer are just a couple of weeks old, and yes the failures generally happen on the right side.

-I did that after my first batch of failures today, same thing. TBH though I've heard varying ways of doing this. My friend just has his lay flat and tightens the bolts; I've heard others press down and tighten.
-No, it's fine, and I've got 3 in One Oil on it.
-I cleaned it today
-If the resin was bad, I think it would fail across the board and not just on a certain side, correct?
-I keep everything together; it's been about 60-70F here lately.
-No, like I said, these printed (mostly) fine before and I'm working off of the same files on the SD card that worked last time.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

About FEP tension, when you tap it with your fingers it should sound like a drum and be a pretty consistent tone when tapping opposing points. If you tap one side and it's nice and tight, tap the opposing point and it's very obviously different tone, could be that.

With leveling, you're supposed to push down with even pressure, the spring in the elegoo ball head and the torque from wrenching can move the plate slightly. Some people use two bits of paper or have all kinds of ritual prayers for the leveling god. The main thing is check the level with the paper underneath after, and maybe try putting individual papers under each side or corner to better check their individual movement if you can't get a good feel from the one sheet.

Shake the poo poo out of your resin occasionally, I had some weird failures after coming back from a break that looked like a random grab bag of possible faults, just came down to resin wasn't mixed.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
A buddy of mine just got a 4k printer. Where are some good places to find Necron proxies so I can make him use all his resin?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

A buddy of mine just got a 4k printer. Where are some good places to find Necron proxies so I can make him use all his resin?

OnePageRules has a good line of distinct models, the robot legions.
There's almost always a 70% off discount code on their patreon.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Eediot Jedi posted:

About FEP tension, when you tap it with your fingers it should sound like a drum and be a pretty consistent tone when tapping opposing points. If you tap one side and it's nice and tight, tap the opposing point and it's very obviously different tone, could be that.

With leveling, you're supposed to push down with even pressure, the spring in the elegoo ball head and the torque from wrenching can move the plate slightly. Some people use two bits of paper or have all kinds of ritual prayers for the leveling god. The main thing is check the level with the paper underneath after, and maybe try putting individual papers under each side or corner to better check their individual movement if you can't get a good feel from the one sheet.

Shake the poo poo out of your resin occasionally, I had some weird failures after coming back from a break that looked like a random grab bag of possible faults, just came down to resin wasn't mixed.

You may be on to something here, but here's something else I just considered (and I'm working right now and can't really test this); hear me out: My workstation in my garage is on an old dining room table with drop leaves on the side. If you've ever messed with these, you know that those drop leaves are NEVER perfectly level and I just realized that my printer is actually sitting ON one of the drop leaves so IT'S not level itself; you think that could screw with the leveling? For reference, here's the exact situation: the center of the table is (relatively) evenly flat, but both sides sort of slant downward away from the center. My printer is sitting on right side leaf, so is leaning slightly right, AND the right side is where the failures are occurring. I'm thinking that perhaps the slant of the table is screwing up the plate leveling maybe?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well, there's a problem with terminology that has plagued this situation for a while. When "leveling" the plate it's not actually making it level to gravity. As long as you're not on a hillside or in a rolling ship out at sea then being "level" means "on a flat surface". The actual name for the "sheet of paper and turning screws" process is tramming. This can be thought of as "making a machine level to itself, disregarding gravity". As long as resin isn't pouring out of the side of your vat, you're level enough.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

bird food bathtub posted:

Well, there's a problem with terminology that has plagued this situation for a while. When "leveling" the plate it's not actually making it level to gravity. As long as you're not on a hillside or in a rolling ship out at sea then being "level" means "on a flat surface". The actual name for the "sheet of paper and turning screws" process is tramming. This can be thought of as "making a machine level to itself, disregarding gravity". As long as resin isn't pouring out of the side of your vat, you're level enough.

Do you think that angle could throw off the tramming process though, since I was just gravity tramming it?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The issue is probably less to do with levelness and more to do with stability. If you're on a fold out leaf that's uneven it's probably not perfectly stable and a small amount of wobble would cause all kinds of problems with your prints.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thanks y'all; I'm gonna move it, relevel, try again.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Man I just periodically buy of the plastic tanks and use them till the few wears out, screw doing it myself.

It ain't cheap!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ShineDog posted:

Man I just periodically buy of the plastic tanks and use them till the few wears out, screw doing it myself.

It ain't cheap!

:chloe: it’s really not that hard, honest

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Christ I'm lazy as hell and I can't imagine buying a new vat instead of just replacing the FEP

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I just replaced the FEP in my Saturn last night with some nFEP made by Siraya Tech. It's expensive enough (about $20 for 2 sheets), but the advantages I'd read about nFEP vs. FEP made me curious enough to try it. One print done successfully with it so far, waiting on a second to finish up here :)

The best part about all that? During my rummaging around for the tools to pop the old FEP out, I found a pack of FEP sheets for the Saturn that I'd apparently ordered last year and immediately proceeded to completely forget about :v:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Elegoo makes plastic "disposable" vats for the Mars2. Still seems like a waste to me but your mileage etc etc.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I am attempting to print an extremely busy model and it's been a while since I fired up my resin printer...is Lychee slicer still the best tool when it comes to island detection and auto-supports, or is there something better out nowadays?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I don't think I crossposted my big robot here

it's from Solwyte Studios and it loving rips

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Mikey Purp posted:

I am attempting to print an extremely busy model and it's been a while since I fired up my resin printer...is Lychee slicer still the best tool when it comes to island detection and auto-supports, or is there something better out nowadays?

It’s still the best

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Does anyone have a good source for 40k bits files? I need some guns.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

If you're looking for Imperial guard and Marrine weapons search for "Weapon Rack" on Cults3d

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Bucnasti posted:

If you're looking for Imperial guard and Marrine weapons search for "Weapon Rack" on Cults3d

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I think I'm in the market for a new resin 3d printer, which will be used almost exclusively for printing miniatures. So build capacity isn't as important to me as the level of detail that is possible. Is the Phrozen 8k Mini the best available right now, and is the print quality going to be that much better than say, the Phrozen Sonic 4k or the Elegoo Saturn S 4k to justify the extra $300 and 2.5 month wait?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 11, 2022

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

You may be on to something here, but here's something else I just considered (and I'm working right now and can't really test this); hear me out: My workstation in my garage is on an old dining room table with drop leaves on the side. If you've ever messed with these, you know that those drop leaves are NEVER perfectly level and I just realized that my printer is actually sitting ON one of the drop leaves so IT'S not level itself; you think that could screw with the leveling? For reference, here's the exact situation: the center of the table is (relatively) evenly flat, but both sides sort of slant downward away from the center. My printer is sitting on right side leaf, so is leaning slightly right, AND the right side is where the failures are occurring. I'm thinking that perhaps the slant of the table is screwing up the plate leveling maybe?

I printed on a old piece of poo poo chest of drawers that tilted like 10 degrees to the side for years and it was fine.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to buy some more resin, and I want to try something different/better than Anycubic'susual transparent green.
What's recommended at this point? I won't be mixing different types, so I'm looking for a good general use resin.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Electric Hobo posted:

I'm about to buy some more resin, and I want to try something different/better than Anycubic'susual transparent green.
What's recommended at this point? I won't be mixing different types, so I'm looking for a good general use resin.

Everyone I know uses ceramic gray now. Looks so good, prints great. I know the SigmariteBoutique guy and he uses buckets of it.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
isn't there an issue of the water washable resin being somehow way more toxic than the regular stuff?

i am looking for something new though, sirayatech fast navy grey is...troublesome

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

isn't there an issue of the water washable resin being somehow way more toxic than the regular stuff?

i am looking for something new though, sirayatech fast navy grey is...troublesome

The way I understand it water washable works by having smaller molecules that are washed away just by the friction og the water.

This also means that it is absorbed through the skin way more easily.

At least, this is what I remember a chemist saying on Twitter

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

The way I understand it water washable works by having smaller molecules that are washed away just by the friction og the water.

This also means that it is absorbed through the skin way more easily.

At least, this is what I remember a chemist saying on Twitter

Yeah this is what I understand as well.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I have a very old pewter wraithlord.
The old wraithlord model only has a mounting point for one heavy weapon, because back in the day WLs could only use one. But the rules let them have two now.
So I found a bright lance .stl file and made a double barreled bright lance version.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
so whats the best solution for ventilation? i dont want to breathe in fumes or particulates

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

so whats the best solution for ventilation? i dont want to breathe in fumes or particulates

Enclose your printer and depending on your mood buy an air filter to shove in there or vent it externally.

Depending on what your printing may truly not matter though. Resin is nasty, so just print in a room you don't work in and filter it. Pla is a non issue, but again just dony print it where you work/sleep

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

w00tmonger posted:

Enclose your printer and depending on your mood buy an air filter to shove in there or vent it externally.

Depending on what your printing may truly not matter though. Resin is nasty, so just print in a room you don't work in and filter it. Pla is a non issue, but again just dony print it where you work/sleep

I have like, a "hobby room" more or less with a small window. YOu say an air filter will work, how about the smell, will that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I have like, a "hobby room" more or less with a small window. YOu say an air filter will work, how about the smell, will that work?

That's what carbon filters are for.