Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

slowdave posted:

It would be delusional to think that the rest of EU would just stand by idly if it ever came to that.

I'm sure they would send unlimited weapons, supplies, and money. Questioning whether the EU will go to war, which inevitably drags in the USA and UK, and meaning war between several nuclear powers, I don't think is delusional though. If they haven't stated they'd defend Finland, which it doesn't appear to be, then I'm not going to claim to know "of course" it will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OddObserver posted:

Not sure what that was all about -- unclear if that thing even happened?

https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1502297384243666947?cxt=HHwWhoC97d3gndkpAAAA

It being a weird attempt at psyops from Ukraine is pretty much the only thing that would make sense.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

deathbysnusnu posted:

Are tanks terrible, or is it just artillery is way more useful. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of debate on the effectiveness of the latter.

No, and "sometimes but not always". In warfare, very rarely is one thing categorically always better than another. Effective militaries use combined arms--that is, different formations with different capabilities--and apply them situationally. Combined arms tactics and operations are very complex, and require training and experience to use effectively.

Apart from the strategic blunders Putin is making, I think a lot of us with military experience are just as aghast at the operational ineptitude being demonstrated by Russian field grade officers. It's possible that Moscow is micro-managing individual BTGs--it must be tempting for political leaders to do so with UAVs and satellites streaming real-time video of fights--but it's still shocking.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1502295754572013574

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1502298793542303747

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Pook Good Mook posted:

So according to this false flag, Ukraine was disciplined and waited 15 days to start shelling a militarily insignificant village in the territory of an ally of its enemy because it wanted a bigger challenge?

tbh Ukraine has every right to shell Belarus if it wanted to, but obviously it wouldn't be strategic at all or helpful.

I'm sure if Putin really does finally manage to get the Belarussians involved, their crack army will definitely turn the tide of this war :)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TheRat posted:

It being a weird attempt at psyops from Ukraine is pretty much the only thing that would make sense.

Tbh, the Ukranians using Russia's reputation for doing false flags and psi-ops to gently caress with Belarus would not exactly be a bad plan if they could pull it off.

I really don't think they are though

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Pook Good Mook posted:

So according to this false flag, Ukraine was disciplined and waited 15 days to start shelling a militarily insignificant village in the territory of an ally of its enemy because it wanted a bigger challenge?

Occam’s razor suggests it was the Ukrainians, perhaps because troops in an active firefight retreated there or something, and who are now throwing out chaff as a way to prevent broadening the war. This seems to me vastly more likely than Russia secretly false flag bombing an ally, although we’re in madworld now so who knows.

It’s ok, we can support Ukraine and still be tethered to reality.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Tuna-Fish posted:

It doesn't loving work like that. In order to become a NATO member, you have to be accepted by every existing NATO member. As in, they have to hold parliamentary votes on the matter. If it looks like Russia is invading Finland, what are the chances that at least one NATO member isn't going to go "actually, letting Finland in right now is not in our best interests"?

The idea of an instant NATO membership is absolute bullshit spread by anti-NATO activists in Finland. If we want into the alliance, we need to get in when there is no imminent threat. Once there is a threat, it's too goddamn late.

I would like to hear more about exactly which NATO member legislatures will vote against Finland’s fast track special admission and wouldn’t consider it a huge super duper red line deal that Russia is planning on expanding their aggression there.

Name the countries.

You can squint real hard and say welllll maybe parts of Eastern Ukraine and Crimea could be Russia. I don’t like it, but a settlement could include that.

But Finland? Because the next step is Alaska.

That’s Russia straight up claiming “anything we ever owned at any point is Russia, even if Russians don’t live there, and gently caress you”. Finland is 92% Finns, there is no Russian population to “rescue”.

By that crazy standard Northern California is Russia.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1502297384243666947?cxt=HHwWhoC97d3gndkpAAAA

Ukrainian military command have already once posted a supposedly verified report of Belarusian military (as opposed to Russians moving from Belarus) crossing the border and moving towards Kyiv, and later they just quietly forgot about it. It's probably psyops again.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There are lots of theories about using such systems in the future (Stryker MGS etc), but there are a few problems, mostly that they die if you look at them funny. There are only a few man portable systems that can reliably kill a modern tank at long rage as you describe. However, there are a huge number of systems that can kill a lightly armored vehicle, including such things as "the autocannon on every infantry fighting vehicle in existence" and the RPG-7.

The drone or remote sensor helps the tank a lot. If the tank can see a target within range of the main gun, that target dies or displaces. The classic problem for tanks has been seeing targets. Drones and datalinks potentially mitigate this problem.

It's important to recognize that the Russians are basically running armored ops in the least competent way possible. Don't read too much in to it regarding the death of the tank. There will be a lot of super duper hot takes coming out eg TANKS ARE USELESS but I think this is highlighting the importance of UAV based recon (especially distributed recon at a very small unit level), data links, and secure communications between everything more than anything.

Again, tanks are not useless. The United States Army and Marine Corps has proved this over 20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Lack of maintenance, lack of support (including logistics), and tactical incompetence are the things making them death traps for Russian tankers.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1502300880875491331?cxt=HHwWhsC45aGsn9kpAAAA

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/ange_teri/status/1502307700151099396

This screenshot is quite different from the aforementioned statement.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

DutchDupe posted:

I'm sure they would send unlimited weapons, supplies, and money. Questioning whether the EU will go to war, which inevitably drags in the USA and UK, and meaning war between several nuclear powers, I don't think is delusional though. If they haven't stated they'd defend Finland, which it doesn't appear to be, then I'm not going to claim to know "of course" it will happen.

Article 42.7 of the Treaty on the European Union: "If a Member State is the victim of armed aggression on its territory, the other Member States shall have towards it an obligation of aid and assistance by all the means in their power, in accordance with Article 51 of the United Nations Charter. This shall not prejudice the specific character of the security and defence policy of certain Member States."

They could not do this, but Finland and/or the EU Commission could drag them before the Court of Justice of the EU. In any event it would spell a death knell for the EU; if you don't respect this article of the TEU, why would you ever respect the rest of the treaties if the going gets too rough?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/ange_teri/status/1502307700151099396

This screenshot is quite different from the aforementioned statement.

Gee I wonder why MotolkoHelp, a Belorussian news source, would change the screenshot?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

Occam’s razor suggests it was the Ukrainians, perhaps because troops in an active firefight retreated there or something, and who are now throwing out chaff as a way to prevent broadening the war. This seems to me vastly more likely than Russia secretly false flag bombing an ally, although we’re in madworld now so who knows.

It’s ok, we can support Ukraine and still be tethered to reality.

Apparently no one in the towns heard anything, so it could have either been a psyop or Ukraine jumping the gun on questionable intelligence
https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1502298377576452096?s=20&t=G02qOOgr8trIsdHP4fckhA
There's no reason to suspect Ukraine would do anything in Belarus IMO. They have enough clearly Russian units to attack closer to Kyiv without entering Belarusian territory.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Discussion about what would or would not happen if an EU member is attacked is really just a variation on clancychat. Assume it won't happen for many reasons. Agree to disagree if you don't. Move on. It's a silly subject to keep bringing up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

Gee I wonder why MotolkoHelp, a Belorussian news source, would change the screenshot?

as far as I can tell, that twitter has spent two weeks posting all Russian troop movements in Belarus they can, so they don't exactly seem like the type to suddenly be pro-Russian

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

StarBegotten posted:

When Putin looks Lukashenko do you think he feels pity or disgust?

Like a dog owner finding that it has just vomited all over the good carpet.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I know fog of war has been a thing since military conflicts began, but drat I'm having a real hard time trying to figure out what to believe sometimes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Deltasquid posted:

Article 42.7 of the Treaty on the European Union: "If a Member State is the victim of armed aggression on its territory, the other Member States shall have towards it an obligation of aid and assistance by all the means in their power, in accordance with Article 51 of the United Nations Charter. This shall not prejudice the specific character of the security and defence policy of certain Member States."

They could not do this, but Finland and/or the EU Commission could drag them before the Court of Justice of the EU. In any event it would spell a death knell for the EU; if you don't respect this article of the TEU, why would you ever respect the rest of the treaties if the going gets too rough?

well the primary purpose of the EU is an economic union not a military alliance, so the military aid part collapsing doesn't really impact the rest of it. it is nato that collapses if it doesn't honor its collective self-defense commitments because that's the point of nato.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

That’s Russia straight up claiming “anything we ever owned at any point is Russia, even if Russians don’t live there, and gently caress you”. Finland is 92% Finns, there is no Russian population to “rescue”.

I think you got a little carried away here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KitConstantine posted:

Apparently no one in the towns heard anything, so it could have either been a psyop or Ukraine jumping the gun on questionable intelligence
https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1502298377576452096?s=20&t=G02qOOgr8trIsdHP4fckhA
There's no reason to suspect Ukraine would do anything in Belarus IMO. They have enough clearly Russian units to attack closer to Kyiv without entering Belarusian territory.

Its a Belarus source so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PederP posted:

Yes. The EU will disintegrate otherwise, because numerous other EU countries will join. Depending on the type of attack the response might be anything from a clusterfuck of staggered and varied responses to an immediate and united response. But it is absurd to believe an EU member could be invaded without the rest of the EU being forced to respond with military assistance. An invasion of Sweden or Finland (outside of grabbing some uninhabited island) would immediately drag in the rest of the EU, perhaps except Hungary.

Where is the EU army level HQ located and who is the current EU equivalent of SACUER?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Just Another Lurker posted:

Like a dog owner finding that it has just vomited all over the good carpet.

Dog owners are capable of feeling affection towards the animal. Putin probably has to fight the impulse to spit in Batka's face and shove him to the ground every time he sees him.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Killing all these generals could be counterproductive.

They might get replaced by someone competent.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Dog owners are capable of feeling affection towards the animal. Putin probably has to fight the impulse to spit in Batka's face and shove him to the ground every time he sees him.

Tbf it's an appropriate impulse to have in this case.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

Both of them are legitimate screenshots, I’m quite sure - what I’m saying is that there’s a significant difference between Facebook posts of Ukrainian Border Guards and Ukrainian Armed Forces.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

notaspy posted:

Killing all these generals could be counterproductive.

They might get replaced by someone competent.

That assumes there is anyone competent.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Sinteres posted:

I think you got a little carried away here.

Maybe, but Putin’s initial speech on the war was dipping its toe in.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I know fog of war has been a thing since military conflicts began, but drat I'm having a real hard time trying to figure out what to believe sometimes.

Pretty much don't believe anything unless you see actual evidence. There's so much bullshit flying around.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

evilweasel posted:

well the primary purpose of the EU is an economic union not a military alliance, so the military aid part collapsing doesn't really impact the rest of it. it is nato that collapses if it doesn't honor its collective self-defense commitments because that's the point of nato.

Getting way off-topic at this point, but the European Economic Community was an economic union. The European Union, since the Lisbon Treaties, is explicitly an economic and political union with common justice, security and defence policies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

I think the more relevant factor would be that a lot of EU militaries are staring at all those unexploded Russian tanks and salivating. Like, some of these countries have been waiting for a chance to kick Russia while it's down for practically a hundred years.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Youth Decay posted:

Uhm, it's not a pro-Lukashenko news source, if that's what you're implying. MotolkoHelp and all their socials are literally banned as an extremist organisation in Belarus for their role in the 2020 protests.

The first screenshot was originally posted by Unian, by the way.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Where is the EU army level HQ located and who is the current EU equivalent of SACUER?

Irrelevant. The EU is a political union. Military integration is not yet complete, so any combined action would likely be chaotic until France just took command. But the idea that the EU is just a economic union is 30 years post-factual. Discussing how exactly the narrative would play out *if* an attack happened is just a variation of clancychat. It is every bit as unlikely as an attack on a NATO member, if not less so.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

I would like to hear more about exactly which NATO member legislatures will vote against Finland’s fast track special admission and wouldn’t consider it a huge super duper red line deal that Russia is planning on expanding their aggression there.

Name the countries.

You can squint real hard and say welllll maybe parts of Eastern Ukraine and Crimea could be Russia. I don’t like it, but a settlement could include that.

It's now a honest to god fascists expansionist state. They can pick whatever bullshit reason they want to attack Finland, e.g. liberating the Finish people from their neo-nazi government, protecting Russian kindergartens in St. Petersburg from western missiles in Finland, a preemptive strike before Finland can attack Russia, as a response to Finish provocations like shelling a Russian border town, etc.

Honestly, if it comes down to a referendum, I'm not sure if a majority of Germans/French/Spaniards/Brits are going to vote to send their kids go die in Finnish mud. Blaming Finland for not joining when they could have is gonna be a huge talking point. Also, allies honoring their commitments is never automatic and guaranteed. And it's why the US has tripwire troops across Europe and Asia and why France left NATO during the cold war.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Same, although this seems like something that should get some sort of hard confirmation one way or the other at some point, as either a place in Belarus did get bombed or it didn't and there's going to be quite a few people who really want to know the answer to that.

Edit: Also most importantly people in charge of the Belarus army should definitely know.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 11, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Name the countries.

The usual suspect - Hungary. Though it's also possible enough countries would be yelling at Orban to knock it off, that it wouldn't become a problem (like with sanctions).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GABA ghoul posted:

Honestly, if it comes down to a referendum, I'm not sure if a majority of Germans/French/Spaniards/Brits are going to vote to send their kids go die in Finnish mud. Blaming Finland for not joining when they could have is gonna be a huge talking point. Also, allies honoring their commitments is never automatic and guaranteed. And it's why the US has tripwire troops across Europe and Asia and why France left NATO during the cold war.

I would be less concerned about that given what's happening in Ukraine. The Russian military just isn't good enough to be worried about needing to commit millions of troops to dig in in pitched infantry battles. NATO support would be mostly from the air, bombing anything that moves, until it's more of a mopping-up exercise.

The danger would be "do we really want to risk nuclear war" because Russia is clearly no longer the USSR when it comes to shipping a million men and tanks into an invasion of Europe, where it is NATO that needs to threaten nuclear first-use because it is afraid of losing the conventional war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/stat...ingawful.com%2F