Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's always neat when someone writes a medieval setting and does it right. that's why i love Spellmonger so much. it mirrors some parts of Europe close enough to feel grounded while retaining enough differences and fantasy elements to feel like an alien culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I know an author is writing medieval Europe right when I get a burning urge to go play Crusader Kings. Cherryh's Fortress in the Eye of Time hits this as well, as it's good at showing the King desperately balancing a powerful Church with his many lords and his own personal desires. Too many generic fantasy novels like to pretend kings are dictators with absolute power when they're really not.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Oh hey, I just finished the first Crown of Stars a few days ago. I agree with everything everyone has said.

I can't read series all in one go, I always alternate with some other book so I started Ash: A Secret History. The framing device is hilarious between chapters a researcher is exchanging emails with his supervisor as the historical document he is translating differs more and more from established history but holy moly CW: graphic sexual violence.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

3/4 of the way through Alastair Reynolds' Blue Remembered Earth and it's really not holding my attention. It feels like it lacks tension because there's no obvious major threat, which all the rest of his books have, and that sucks a lot of the urgency out of it. I get that this is kind of the point, that he's trying to paint a more optimistic utopian future than his other books and so we're following a little mystery in which (probably) nothing truly bad can happen to the main characters, and I admire him for breaking out of his own typecasting but it sort of feels like he's just inadvertently exposed his own weaknesses as a storyteller.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Srandon Banderson

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Braydon Saunderson

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Everyone posted:

Jesus-gently caress I remember those. I remember reading those books in high school (and am 53 years old). They kind of rocked, truth be told.

Barbara Hambly is indeed pretty good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poldarn posted:

I can't read series all in one go, I always alternate with some other book so I started Ash: A Secret History. The framing device is hilarious between chapters a researcher is exchanging emails with his supervisor as the historical document he is translating differs more and more from established history but holy moly CW: graphic sexual violence.
Thankfully, the abuse is mostly limited to the opening chapters but yeah, those are harsh. The framing story goes some pretty interesting places.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
2 chapters into Project Hail Mary and it’s rough. The main character is already insufferable. No one with amnesia acts or thinks like this. Might have to shelf this.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Megasabin posted:

2 chapters into Project Hail Mary and it’s rough. The main character is already insufferable. No one with amnesia acts or thinks like this. Might have to shelf this.

I got about 20% into it and man it did not get any better. Which is a shame because I liked the Martian.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Here's a spoiler for a major twist that might put the early stuff in perspective: The main character is actually kind of a coward who was tricked into going on the mission. He has amnesia as a consequence of a drug he was given, so he won't know he was basically kidnapped into the enterprise and to encourage him to engage with the mission (at least initially) as opposed to falling into despair.

I enjoyed it, but it was definitely pure popcorn.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I hate to admit it, but I gave up on Blacktongue Thief. I adored Two Fires but I've been reading a lot of world building heavy fantasy and I just dread running into more paragraphs of fake history and magic rules.

I'm going through Leviathan Wakes and it's been a breath of fresh air to get away from family trees and descriptions of special, irregular food.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Even after the kickstarter cut and possible religious tithing, that is a crazy amount of money going Sanderson's way.

I hope Sanderson does a gently caress-you project, like self-funding drought resistant forestry projects in his state or starts issuing his own version of Bowie Bonds creatively called, uh, Sanderson Bonds or starts up a 1-800 phone number (ala Piers *pedobait* Anthony in the 1990's) to handle all the "please call me back. I have a no miss opportunity for you" and death threat messages now going his way.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I liked Curse of Chalion when I read it earlier in the year. A deeply traumatized veteran finds his way back to the royal court where he grew up and becomes a tutor to the teenage princess. There is Something Afoot, foul magic and dark politics. The story itself isn't all grimdark, though a lot of rather dark things happen. The gods appear to be inconveniently real and they're cross about something.

The following two books are good too. The third one is very disconnected.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Penric & Desdemona novellas are also good.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
The latest bundle from StoryBundle is The Best of Rudy Rucker

$5 gives you
  • Mathematicians in Love
  • The Ware Tetralogy
  • Million Mile Road Trip
  • Juicy Ghosts

$20 also gives you
  • Complete Stories
  • White Light
  • The Secret of Life
  • Saucer Wisdom
  • Jim and the Films
  • Turing & Burroughs
  • The Big Aha
  • The Hollow Earth & Return to the Hollow Earth
I only know the Ware tetralogy, and I really enjoyed them but I read them many years ago. Don't know if they still hold up.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've read book 1 and half of book 2 in Crown of Stars and it's very well-written. Lots of good, interesting details and it's a fascinating version of fantasy Europe.

That said -

- book 1 contains a graphic depiction of an abusive relationship, and while she does eventually escape it, getting there had me sobbing while reading.

Kate Elliott wrote about how many letters she got from readers on this. Basically readers were shocked that instead of writing an abuser into a Heathcliff/Twilight/50 Shades brooding romantic reclamation project he's just an unadorned piece of poo poo, full stop. And the solution is to get the gently caress out not try and Change Him. They just hadn't seen that in fiction before. I'd drink a belt or two after a few of those letters.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Copernic posted:

Kate Elliott wrote about how many letters she got from readers on this. Basically readers were shocked that instead of writing an abuser into a Heathcliff/Twilight/50 Shades brooding romantic reclamation project he's just an unadorned piece of poo poo, full stop. And the solution is to get the gently caress out not try and Change Him. They just hadn't seen that in fiction before. I'd drink a belt or two after a few of those letters.

This makes me want to pick up Crown of Stars. I am so loving sick of "The guy that does lovely things to you? You need to be worthy of him and heal him because the lovely things he does to you are basically your fault for having a vagina." I want books where the solution is the real-life solution of get away from him/put him in prison or just kill his rear end. You don't "heal" an abusive piece of poo poo. You flush him down the loving toilet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Copernic posted:

There is an awful trend (that’s been around for decades) in romance fiction with alpha males and this poo poo and it leaks into genre fiction in a bad way, so it’s amazing to see an author take a stand. She explores similar themes in her other works too… I should read more of her, I was enjoying Cold Magic before adhd hit.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quantumfoam posted:

Even after the kickstarter cut and possible religious tithing, that is a crazy amount of money going Sanderson's way.
Yeah though at this point Sanderson is basically a whole company. His wife does a lot of work for the business end IIRC, they got a guy handling the kickstarter, probably some more employees too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Does he still donate to anti-gay political measures? I know back in the day he donated to that one Prop 8 thing, whatever it was called.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seemingly every Mormon in the country did.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sanderson seems very averse to addressing controversial topics in any substantial way.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
because he knows that if he offers his lovely mormon opinions he will suddenly no longer be a best-selling author

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I have a confession to make: I used to, as a teenager, like Peter F Hamilton's Commonwealth books.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
ubiquitous teleporters are cool imo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fivemarks posted:

I have a confession to make: I used to, as a teenager, like Peter F Hamilton's Commonwealth books.

he's weird and creepy but he has good ideas. i read some of his short story compilations and I liked them.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

Yeah though at this point Sanderson is basically a whole company. His wife does a lot of work for the business end IIRC, they got a guy handling the kickstarter, probably some more employees too.

Specifically, Sanderson refers to Dragonsteel Books as a mid sized press. They have 30 employees and have been around since 2007.

Here's a fun little look inside Team Silverlight (the fulfillment department) they posted for the Way of Kings Kickstarter a few years back: https://youtu.be/aBTfWrCvim0

Edit:

moonmazed posted:

because he knows that if he offers his lovely mormon opinions he will suddenly no longer be a best-selling author

That's a little unfair. He goes out of his way more than any other Mormon author to represent characters who have beliefs that differ to his in an authentic way in his books. And not just in a token manner either.

Leng fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 12, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Leng posted:

Edit:

That's a little unfair. He goes out of his way more than any other Mormon author to represent characters who have beliefs that differ to his in an authentic way in his books. And not just in a token manner either.

In all my years of either reading him or hearing about his works, I've never seen him attacked for "forced diversity" or whatnot. Syl has a whole thing about how there are more than two genders and it's a human construct - that's just begging for these losers to take to YouTube or Twitter but I've seen nothing.

The opinions in the novels of his I've read are pretty affirming and heartening, not just to LGBTQ, but to folks with mental illness. I think this is one reason Kaladin is so beloved.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have a bunch of choices of audiobooks to listen to but I want a bit of direction

1. I want a scifi novel.
2. it can't be military hoo-rah scifi
3. it should be kind of weird or maybe not super typical, like, noir but scifi?
4. maybe written by someone who isn't male

Perhaps something that is campy, and firefly esque, with future tech that does cool thing but they're still struggling with something, whether that's Big Bad Ancient Thing or Big Bad Corporate Guy or whatever doesn't matter too much

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i once again bring your attention to earthcent by e.m. foner, starting with date night on union station. although as I write this I realize I have no idea if it has an audiobook or how good it is

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have a bunch of choices of audiobooks to listen to but I want a bit of direction

1. I want a scifi novel.

Perhaps something that is campy, and firefly esque, with future tech that does cool thing but they're still struggling with something, whether that's Big Bad Ancient Thing or Big Bad Corporate Guy or whatever doesn't matter too much

Can I interest you in Julie Czernada’s Species Imperative?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

i once again bring your attention to earthcent by e.m. foner, starting with date night on union station. although as I write this I realize I have no idea if it has an audiobook or how good it is

https://www.audible.com/pd/Review-Night-on-Union-Station-Audiobook/1977388205

?? book 11 though

Kalman posted:

Looks like it's just a book, which is fine, but I've been pouring into audiobooks recently because it's way easier to digest when I'm doing other tasks.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Fart of Presto posted:

The latest bundle from StoryBundle is The Best of Rudy Rucker

$5 gives you
  • Mathematicians in Love
  • The Ware Tetralogy
  • Million Mile Road Trip
  • Juicy Ghosts

$20 also gives you
  • Complete Stories
  • White Light
  • The Secret of Life
  • Saucer Wisdom
  • Jim and the Films
  • Turing & Burroughs
  • The Big Aha
  • The Hollow Earth & Return to the Hollow Earth
I only know the Ware tetralogy, and I really enjoyed them but I read them many years ago. Don't know if they still hold up.

Responding to the rebolded bit:

The Ware tetralogy aged extremely badly across all levels, it's crystallized baby boomer drug enthusiast libertarianism cut with 180 proof robot sexploitation.
Not sure about the contents of Rucker's other work, because the skeeviness and hateful characters of the Ware tetralogy makes me forever not want to check out Rudy Rucker's other work at all.

Don't spend your money in the Storybundle offer just to buy that Ware series, it's been available for free under a Creative Commons license for over a decade now. The Creative Commons version of the Ware tetralogy series can be found with mild googling (or just by checking the External Links section of the Ware tetralogies wikipedia page).

Cicero posted:

Cool. I wish Sanderson and company the best.

Fivemarks posted:

I always wanted to write sci-fi, but I got convinced by mutual acquaintances of GB and I that I'm too black, not smart enough, and not 'good' enough to ever be a real writer, especially in Sci-fi. I guess seeing the recent change in things on the sci-fi front has made me feel better about that. After all, if Sanderson can just right four books offhandedly, I can at least write a short story.

Add me to the stack of people wanting to see your work. Ignore those assholes, write and submit what you want, and be assured that any success you have will eat them up inside.

Assholes like that always exist. Either they are afraid of competition and instinctively punch down, or they get off on the bullying and deliberately choose to troll and punch down.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

1. I want a scifi novel.

The audiobook version of The Dead Mountaineer's Inn by the Strugatsky brothers might be worth your time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

quantumfoam posted:

The audiobook version of The Dead Mountaineer's Inn by the Strugatsky brothers might be worth your time.

I've been listening to the audiobook on Chime of the Necronomicon, so I'm immediately keen on this sample audio because of that similar narrator.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

In this miserable, weird time we live in, Swordheart was exactly what I needed. Pratchett by way of Cold Comfort Farm. I’m very fond of books in which sensible people deploy stolid common sense against the fantastical, frightening or uncanny and this hit the spot perfectly.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

1. I want a scifi novel.

Ninefox Gambit?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Fivemarks posted:

I remember buying reality disfunction, getting into a big dumb space opera and loving it - do i have to spoil something from 1996? - then the ghost of Al Capone IN SPACE came in and it left me utterly confused.

I've not read anything by him again.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Kalman posted:

Seconded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

GreenBuckanneer posted:

1. I want a scifi novel.

Annalee Newitz?