Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Professor Shark posted:

I'll play with the proportions, but you can take my Tanqueray from my cold, dead jaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you’ve never done Campari, Aperol is similar and the Paper Plane is a wonderful cocktail.

1oz. Bourbon (I use Bulleit)
1oz. Amaro Montenegro (Amaro Nonino is traditional)
1oz. Aperol
1oz. Lemon juice

Shake with ice, strain and serve up.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Also, Tanq is a fine gin for martinis (though for me its true calling is G&Ts), but I’d look into a better dry vermouth. Dolin is pretty wifey available and a solid standard choice.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Scythe posted:

Also, Tanq is a fine gin for martinis (though for me its true calling is G&Ts), but I’d look into a better dry vermouth. Dolin is pretty wifey available and a solid standard choice.

Absolutely do not use dry vermouth in a negroni, and Cocchi is great for that drink. I do Gordon's and Cocchi for mine and they slap. Sometimes I'll do a little more gin and a dash of celery bitters if I'm feeling spicy

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Absolutely do not use dry vermouth in a negroni, and Cocchi is great for that drink. I do Gordon's and Cocchi for mine and they slap. Sometimes I'll do a little more gin and a dash of celery bitters if I'm feeling spicy

Sorry, I was responding to the part of Prof Shark’s post where they were talking about martinis.

Anything Cocchi is great but are you talking about the vermouth di Torino (which is great for Negronis, true) or the Americano (which I could see making a good but technically non-traditional martini) or something else?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Less than half an ounce of campari in a drink: delightfully devilish

More than half an ounce of campari in a drink: good lord what is happening in there

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Be like Steve Zissou and drink it straight from your flask.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you don't like a classic negroni with tanquery you probably just don't like negronis. The brand of gin is certainly not the issue, nor the spec.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you don't like a classic negroni with tanquery you probably just don't like negronis. The brand of gin is certainly not the issue, nor the spec.

I'm promise I'm not being patronizing, but make sure a negroni has a very generous twist of orange. That's the difference between a pleasing bitter drink and three ounces of poo poo.

Fake edit: this is directed generally, not at you, fart car 97.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

teen witch posted:

I know, but it’s such a small amount left and my stubbornness wants to find some use for it outside of space hog. It has potential (but I do understand your concern. I am just stubborn for this one particular bottle)

Is it Chaucer’s? That stuff is awful.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Pander posted:

I'm promise I'm not being patronizing, but make sure a negroni has a very generous twist of orange. That's the difference between a pleasing bitter drink and three ounces of poo poo.

Fake edit: this is directed generally, not at you, fart car 97.

I usually don’t keep oranges on hand; a lemon twist and dash of orange bitters makes a fine Negroni as well

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Be like Steve Zissou and drink it straight from your flask.

Hell yeah, I watched that and saw he kept topping up a huge glass full of it lol

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
A dash of orange bitters is essential in my negronis. I also like a splash of soda over top, but that isn’t as critical.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Muddled cardamom pods or a dash of cardamom bitters is my preferred adjustment to a Negroni. Hell, infuse the whole bottle of Campari with cardamom.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just tried Uncle Val's Botanical Gin in a negroni. It's such a hot sipper I can barely drink it straight, but it definitely works well in a mix against the bitter and winey components. Also it's got a hugely strong herbal celery-ish note that is still super prominent even in the mix.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Maestro posted:

Muddled cardamom pods or a dash of cardamom bitters is my preferred adjustment to a Negroni. Hell, infuse the whole bottle of Campari with cardamom.

I over-infused a bottle of gin with cardamom tea, making it intolerably bitter and astringent. However, it works very nice in a negroni.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Ooh yea it’s such an intense flavor. My absolute favorite flavor combo with Campari though - something about that astringency and bitterness actually improves the bitter character of Campari while of course cutting through some of that syrupy finish

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I was just given a really nice mixing glass as a present, but I'm finding the strainers I usually use to be too small now to really sit firmly in the mouth. Is there a better option? Should I just look for larger strainers?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What are you using?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
julep

hawthorne

These are my personal favorites

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
The Oleo Citrate ratios I'm seeing are pretty different. Which would you use?

From Nickle Morris -> Zach Zoschke youtube: 120 g lime peel, 45 g Citric Acid, 8 g Malic Acid, 1000 g water (1 liter)

From Dave Arnold -> Cocktail Time with Kevin Kos youtube: 120 g lime peel, 80 g Citric Acid, 40 g Malic Acid, 2000 g water (2 liters)

I scaled the 2nd recipe up to make it even. I think I'm gonna use the acid powder weights from recipe 2 and maybe split the difference on the water / eye ball that one a little bit.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Huh, the first recipe is the only one I've used. Your plan sounds good, let us know how that goes.

At work today I was spitballing ideas and thought of making super juice with non-citrus fruits. I'm gonna try super peach and super strawberry when those come into season. I figure I'll juice the fruit by blending and straining, then let the pulp hang out with a greatly reduced amount of acid powder (maybe half as much as the 45g citric/8g malic recipe I use) and proceed as normal. After that I may even strain it through a nut milk bag and try making stirred drinks with it, as if I had used a centrifuge. Should be interesting!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Do you reckon a variant of a Last Word replacing the chartreuse with Cynar would be any good? I have limes, I'm getting some Cynar soon, I thought it might be fun.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Banged out a Boulevardier with my Cynar 70 last night and daaaaaaaamn. Not quite as sweet, but really kicked up overall. That's the first time that cocktail has ever sat warm in the tummy, for sure.

Great stuff.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

cptn_dr posted:

Do you reckon a variant of a Last Word replacing the chartreuse with Cynar would be any good? I have limes, I'm getting some Cynar soon, I thought it might be fun.

Chartreuse and Cynar taste very different. It might be tasty but you're leaving Last Word territory.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Penultimate Word

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Comb Your Beard posted:

Chartreuse and Cynar taste very different. It might be tasty but you're leaving Last Word territory.

Maybe, since Cynar and Campari are standards for a Boulevardier, you could call it The Word on The Street

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

IIRC this is the catch-all liquor/spirits thread for types that don't have their own threads, so I'll ask here.

I have a friend in the UK that wants to try Malort despite me being up front with how harrowing of an experience it is. Is there anywhere they can order it from in the UK? It's not easy to find in most of the US, let alone the UK, people will only pay so much for a joke.

Although I did know one person that genuinely likes the taste of wormwood so she would happily get drunk off it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

22 Eargesplitten posted:

IIRC this is the catch-all liquor/spirits thread for types that don't have their own threads, so I'll ask here.

I have a friend in the UK that wants to try Malort despite me being up front with how harrowing of an experience it is. Is there anywhere they can order it from in the UK? It's not easy to find in most of the US, let alone the UK, people will only pay so much for a joke.

Although I did know one person that genuinely likes the taste of wormwood so she would happily get drunk off it.

Does it have to be Malört? Or would they be ok with something similar? My understanding is Malört is a Bäsk style liquor, which is originally Swedish. It would likely be easier to find than Malört from Chicago.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I imagine the fact that it's from Chicago is a big part of the desire for them to want to try it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Malört is, in fact, good!

But Carillon is correct, it's a bäsk. I've only ever had one other Malört style bäsk so I can't really offer any advice, but that would definitely be easier than trying to get it shipped.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I couldn’t remember the name when I was trying to own a friend of mine once so I said “yeah well you’re the one who drank an entire bottle of Desk”

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Why are Boston shakers preferred over a 3-piece shaker? It seems like with the 3 piece I wouldn’t need to use a Hawthorne strainer.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Why are Boston shakers preferred over a 3-piece shaker? It seems like with the 3 piece I wouldn’t need to use a Hawthorne strainer.

For two reasons 1. The strainer in that three piece is not going to strain as well as a Hawthorne will. 2. 3 Piece shakers either don't seal too well and leak or seal way too well and can't fuckin open.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

LionYeti posted:

For two reasons 1. The strainer in that three piece is not going to strain as well as a Hawthorne will. 2. 3 Piece shakers either don't seal too well and leak or seal way too well and can't fuckin open.

I see. I guess the drinks i make never really required any straining, so I never noticed. it does a good job of ice since none of it is crushed before going into the glass. No muddling of fruits and all that jazz either.

The shaker does get a bit hard to open, might have to look into the Boston shaker.

A mixing glass might be nice too, but I usually just mix it into the glass I’m drinking out of. Is having another glass to stop dilution?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The idea is that you want dilution in the drink, but you also want fresh ice. So you mix in a mixing glass with ice then strain over fresh ice

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

It's just easier to assemble and mix things in a larger, dedicated mixing glass. It also lets you serve into nick & nora, sour, and other stemware which all but preclude building the drink in the glass.

I have a 3 piece cobbler shaker that is pretty decent. About the only issue I have is dry shaking egg whites tends to pop (that's common with Boston shakers too, though). I still want a Boston because it's afford more volume to make for better shaking. I usually add about 1.5 cups of ice for shaking and it just doesn't feel like there's enough travel or emulsion.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

obi_ant posted:

I see. I guess the drinks i make never really required any straining, so I never noticed. it does a good job of ice since none of it is crushed before going into the glass. No muddling of fruits and all that jazz either.

The shaker does get a bit hard to open, might have to look into the Boston shaker.

Cobbler shakers (the 3-piece) have a bad problem with locking up due to both freezing and filth. Dave Arnold discovered in his experiments for Liquid Intelligence that shaking actually chills a drink below the freezing point of water, and this combines with the smallest uncleaned residue to make the steel parts lock together. A Boston shaker seals through both vacuum and chilling at an angle so you can slap them apart, but a cobbler shaker can only be pulled with brute strength. It takes more practice to learn to use effectively and quickly, but it means you won't end up with your shaker completely frozen as you try to pour drinks for guests. The control of a Hawthorn strainer also allows you to easily pour a drink over fresh ice, pour neat with no uncomfortable ice fragments in the drink, or pour in with crushed ice for a drink that requires it.

Overall, it's harder to learn but will be much better to use with less difficulty once you do so.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Just use the two kinds for any length of time and you won’t have to ask which is better or why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

obi_ant posted:

I see. I guess the drinks i make never really required any straining, so I never noticed. it does a good job of ice since none of it is crushed before going into the glass.

If you shake with appropriate vigor, you will create tiny shards of ice that should easily pass through the hawthorn strainer. If your ice stays in big chunks then try shaking harder next time!