Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

PerilPastry posted:

Honestly, it doesn't seem like news to me. Of course they'd consider arms shipments legitimate targets but it's not like they'll attack them until they've actually crossed the border and Ukrainian drivers have taken possession of them.

I doubt they could easily identify them anyway. Indiscriminately blowing up all trucks near the Ukrainian border would be one approach but probably not one they're capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

Christ, I didn't realize that Rasputitsa was the Ukrainian word for quicksand

e: fine, I'll add some substance. What do you think is going to happen to these tanks after the war? Gopniks will pose on them, sure. Will six bored dudes take a bottle of vodka and a thermos of tea and dig these out next winter? Take a torch and scrap them in situ when the ground is not a literal mire? What do you think the scrap value of a tank is? Gotta be some good components in there (electric motors, heavy bearings, LCD screens, pumps...) I wonder what kind of alloy the steel is. Something cheap like case hardened 4140? Something fancy like AR400?

From my limited knowledge of Russian "rasputitsa" is something like "thawing".
And those tanks will probably get overhauled, and either stored, put into service or sold. Those knocked out will be stripped for parts and probably sold for scrap later. A couple will probably end up as monuments, just like a lot of T-34.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://nv.ua/ukraine/events/obstrel-vasilkova-raketami-polnostyu-unichtozhen-aeroport-novosti-kieva-50224350.html

Vasylki mayor says that their local airfield has been destroyed with an overnight missile strike. This is the one where there was heavy fighting like 3-4 days after the invasion start, with the giant oil fire.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Chalks posted:

I doubt they could easily identify them anyway. Indiscriminately blowing up all trucks near the Ukrainian border would be one approach but probably not one they're capable of.

Right. And I'm sure some precautions are being taken by those sending the weapons. Russia doesn't have the ability to stop the flow of weapons right now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Were they not already trying to do that?

As long as they still are just looking to attack them when inside Ukraine than this seems like bluster that everyone just assumed was going on. If they are going to go around Poland and other places attacking what ever they think is an arms shipment than this seems insane and very not good.

Also if I'm not mistaken Poland has pretty decent AA capabilities right?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

ed: oh boy! https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1502599092748365825

the escalation aspect is bad, but i am a bit lol that the sensible continuation of this statement is "... and by golly if we could unfuck our poo poo and establish air superiority, maybe we'd even hit some of those targets!"

Call me naive but I'd have thought supply routes of arms would be on the strike list from day 1, unless this is a threat to attack poo poo in Poland or whatever?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Vando posted:

Call me naive but I'd have thought supply routes of arms would be on the strike list from day 1, unless this is a threat to attack poo poo in Poland or whatever?
I doubt it, thankfully. It was part of a number of remarks he made; and the overall tenor of it seemed defiant but not escalatory, going by Twitter. He even brought up renewing START negotiations

https://twitter.com/BhadraPunchline/status/1502605329452113921?s=20&t=kmjy4bbr3MU8p1gMlAI5DA

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kofman was on the money, about 31st in Hostomel early on.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1502532986729807872

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cross posting from games:

It turns out that the guys who made a wargame eight years ago about a conflict in Ukraine picked literally the exact spot where that last ambush video was filmed for the first mission of the campaign. Given there are only so many roads the odds aren't that long that something like this would happen, but still a bit eerie.

https://twitter.com/SeriousStrategy/status/1502423305676070913

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alchenar posted:

Cross posting from games:

It turns out that the guys who made a wargame eight years ago about a conflict in Ukraine picked literally the exact spot where that last ambush video was filmed for the first mission of the campaign. Given there are only so many roads the odds aren't that long that something like this would happen, but still a bit eerie.

https://twitter.com/SeriousStrategy/status/1502423305676070913
Time to look up the rest of the missions.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Taxi drivers are very well informed about these sort of things, or so they've informed me. :colbert:

What if the taxi driver was Putin all along?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cgeq posted:

What if the taxi driver was Putin all along?

I’m not sure if you know, but he did work as a taxi driver in the 90s.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Caros posted:

It's very much this. If his neighors ally with NATO then he has a country with a (even before the war) piss poor economy that is supporting a fairly large military for its economic size.

Russia needs to get some use out of that military, but they don't have the force projection capabilities of the USA. They needed to keep their neighbors out of NATO so they could roll up once a decade, knock some heads, steal some land and cheer for the glory of Russia.

No need to call it “fairly large for its size,” as % of GDP Russia spends more on its military than the good old US and A, or anyone else other than Saudi Arabia and Israel.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m not sure if you know, but he did work as a taxi driver in the 90s.

If you believe him. Considering he clearly rewrote other parts of his history, I'm not sure I buy a KGB agent working as a taxi driver in his free time.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Russian Footage of the Hostomel Airport Attack

4K version on youtube

The comments all say Russia still holds the airfield, but I thought they lost it twice?

No bodies or actual combat that I saw, just smoke in the background and soldiers moving around an airport.

Lots of iron sights in view.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 12, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

If you believe him. Considering he clearly rewrote other parts of his history, I'm not sure I buy a KGB agent working as a taxi driver in his free time.

Given how deep of an rear end Russia was in economically in the early 90s, it's perfectly believable for him to have moonlighted as a taxi driver. It's not like he's proud of it, he's publicly admitted embarrassment over doing so.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Comstar posted:

Russian(!!) Footage of the Hostomel Airport Attack

4K version on youtube

The comments all say Russia still holds the airfield, but I thought they lost it twice?

No bodies or actual combat that I saw, just smoke in the background and soldiers moving around an airport.

There were multiple repelled drops after which the Russians attacked again and AFAIK that time it was never claimed they were repulsed. The airport has been conspicuously missing from reporting since then.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 12, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

If he's secretly been Ronald Regan this whole time, I swear to god I am straight up leaving this hosed up planet.

Edit: A few of the reddit comments are saying that video is from the first day attack at the airport. Also, don't read reddit comments.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 12, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

There were multiple repelled drops after which the Russians attacked again and AFAIK that time it was never claimed they were repulsed.

They captured and held it on the initial drop for something like 12-18 hours. Afterwards, it went back and forth for a few days, and eventually got covered in the fog of war. Last we heard of it was around ~8-10 days into the conflict.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Tomorrow March 13th is the anniversary of the ending of Winter War, may this war soon be over too :toot::finland:

Skippy McPants posted:

The smart play is probably taking them to pieces now and selling components. Can't exactly sell a whole tank, and I assume whatever government is in control of Ukraine after this is over will take possession of anything still intact.

Even if they take the 125mm gun off, I doubt the civil authorities would approve of some farmer's new "tractor."

I think if you stripped out the turret and all armour you would get a really mobile and fast tractor, as ground pressure would be reduced to something less than a pedestrian. But also one with a terrible fuel economy, serviceability and visibility from driver's seat.

Ukraine had no shortage of obsolete rusty tanks even before the war, so there's no use for them apart from some upgraded components in some.

Captain Kosmos posted:

They should house Ukrainian refugees in those seized yachts, buildings, and apartments.

Those 50 Ukrainian refugees in UK are going to live like kings.

Vando posted:

It's not like Russia is able to close Ukraine's borders without sending troops there first. There's lots of traffic going in (supplies) and out (refugees). Which trucks are carrying arms?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
An allegedly re-captured AFV previously stolen from the Ukrainian army by separatists, now taken back. I think they went a bit hog on the semi-swastikas, it's very gauche
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1502614972756598787

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Comstar posted:

Russian Footage of the Hostomel Airport Attack

4K version on youtube

They never lost the airport after the drop. It's been occupied basically since the start of the war and now it's not on the frontline anymore. And Ukrainians pummeled it with artillery hence the destroyed An-225

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
After twenty years of pointless war, I don’t want to see us (I’m American) throwing more blood and treasure away, even for a just cause.

But man if it doesn’t sit right seeing it happen and not intervening. Again, intervention isn’t the right call. I’m just saying that there’s some bitter irony after all of the stupid loving wars we’ve jumped into (Vietnam, Gulf War, GWOT: Iraq & Afghanistan) a war comes along where one side is clearly in the wrong and we have to watch the defenders tough it out.

Kinda highlights the other stupid wars (not that any wars are smart, I’m saying stupid in terms of justification) even more.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charlotte Hornets posted:

They never lost the airport after the drop. It's been occupied basically since the start of the war and now it's not on the frontline anymore. And Ukrainians pummeled it with artillery hence the destroyed An-225

Ukrainians did retake the initial capture. There were plenty of photos passed around, both of Ukrainian troops and Russian corpses there. What they didn’t quite ever do is clear the entirety of Hostomel from enemy presence, with the initial occupying force scattering into the nearby urban areas and forests.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Charlotte Hornets posted:

They did lose it initially (24th February) after the poorly coordinated initial assault where the ground advances failed to link up, leaving the airborne elements isolated to be defeated by the Ukrainian National Guard. On the 25th the Russian ground advance took the airport. Intercepted communications indicate it came under heavy attack on the 27th and was almost abandoned by the Russian forces, but eventually they managed to stabilize their control of it.

I disagree that it is not on the frontline. There has been fighting in adjacent towns, notably Bucha, with the Ukrainians at times pushing Russian units out of it. It is so close to contested territory as to be effectively on the frontlines, and I doubt Russia can reliably use it as an airbridge.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

The smart play is probably taking them to pieces now and selling components. Can't exactly sell a whole tank, and I assume whatever government is in control of Ukraine after this is over will take possession of anything still intact.

Even if they take the 125mm gun off, I doubt the civil authorities would approve of some farmer's new "tractor."

Europe’s full of sovieh armor in civilian hands. My neighboring farm had a T-34 as a collector piece in Finland. It even ran sometimes. Same collector bought a BMP-1 from Poland, from another collector. The price was only a few thousand in 2005, the heavy transporter cost to move it and the repairs were the problem.

T-55s and T-72s are perfectly legal to own and operate on your farm. Roadways get trickier, in Finland you can get temporary snowmobile permit on a tank to traverse a road a bit as a private owner.

The main guns aren’t deco’d. They get so big that gun laws stop applying to them and you can just keep them. Ammo would be different, though.

These things get like a mile per gallon, and they are maintenance nightmares. There’s some natural limits to ownership, rather than legal ones, in most European countries.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

https://imgur.com/a/BNvGUz7

I don’t see big police presence beside on the dock itself so I might fetch better photos soon

God drat, that's a big yacht. With the masts for...sails presumably, I thought it was much smaller. It looks like a warship. I imagine there's always security for private boats like that, like how Antibes has its private "billionaire's quay" section, separate from the mere hundred-millionaires' quays where you can just walk right up to the boats and hop on if you'd like.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PederP posted:

I disagree that it is not on the frontline. There has been fighting in adjacent towns, notably Bucha, with the Ukrainians at times pushing Russian units out of it. It is so close to contested territory as to be effectively on the frontlines, and I doubt Russia can reliably use it as an airbridge.

I did see claims around February 27-28, that Ukrainian military did blow some of its infrastructure up as a contingency measure, but they were somewhat conflicting, and without visual evidence.

Even if runways are still in order, or have been repaired, it may be reasonable to guess that there are some Ukrainian artillery and radars primed to disrupt potential landing attempts.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vahakyla posted:

Europe’s full of sovieh armor in civilian hands. My neighboring farm had a T-34 as a collector piece in Finland. It even ran sometimes. Same collector bought a BMP-1 from Poland, from another collector. The price was only a few thousand in 2005, the heavy transporter cost to move it and the repairs were the problem.

T-55s and T-72s are perfectly legal to own and operate on your farm. Roadways get trickier, in Finland you can get temporary snowmobile permit on a tank to traverse a road a bit as a private owner.

The main guns aren’t deco’d. They get so big that gun laws stop applying to them and you can just keep them. Ammo would be different, though.

These things get like a mile per gallon, and they are maintenance nightmares. There’s some natural limits to ownership, rather than legal ones, in most European countries.

Here's a Finnish civilian T-55 on test drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TX_DbGlJ5E

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Brutal thread from the Red Cross on the situation in Mariupol right now. The Red Cross office in the city is providing shelter for people but the situation is dire.
https://twitter.com/ICRC/status/1502588461903224834?t=FQdex5LEFCkzRRLglADgCQ&s=19

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Given how deep of an rear end Russia was in economically in the early 90s, it's perfectly believable for him to have moonlighted as a taxi driver. It's not like he's proud of it, he's publicly admitted embarrassment over doing so.
Google around, and you'll find a timeline of his memoirs escalating from "things were so bad, fellow regime personnel worked in various other occupations, such as taxi drivers" through "things were so bad I might have ended up working as a taxi driver if things didn't work out" to "I actually worked as a taxi driver, for real. Definitely not just a nightmare occupation for a paranoid fucker like myself". In actuality, he spent the early 90's doing grey market \ financial institutions corrupt poo poo.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Also I dunno what Lukashenka said to Putin, but his armed forces appear to have less than zero interest in getting involved in Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1502596553915215874?t=2J99ThqQydfgLVPkCLx7vw&s=19
Official post on the Belarusian military Facebook page (very weird set of words)

I recommend scrolling through their posts, it's interesting reading given the known back and forth between Belarus and Russia

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's an anecdote that clearly fits his narrative about the West destroying the Soviet Union and subsequently Russia, I don't think he's actually embarrassed about his fake story.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Vahakyla posted:

It's almost like that old Chris Rock joke about stopping gun violence by making individual bullets cost a fortune.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

jaete posted:

I'm thinking someone should made a mod for some suitable strategy game where you play as Putin. Planning the invasion, you survey all your units and see that they're excellent and everything is in perfect order. Your advisors tell you Ukrainians love you and hate their own government. Then you attack and... wait, my in-game advisor told me this unit has strength 12, actually it's 3? Also Ukrainians are mounting heavy resistance? What?

Strategy games usually assume perfect and accurate information within your own side, right? That doesn't seem like a very realistic model :v:

Wargame: Red Dragon but the "equipment failure" and "stuck in he mud" events are maxed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhlIf_8tysY&t=120s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3qTMvxTonc

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Ukraine's gonna need more pickled tomatoes.
https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1502550196324032512?t=OsjV5K9RiaoHJd7lrNbp1Q&s=19
I dunno why, but this seems particularly upsetting to me, the ball bearings are a nasty touch. Maybe because the drone looks almost like a toy?

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman

Captain Kosmos posted:

So, when Russia is going to shoot down an airliner with a stinger?

July 17th, 2014, but they used a Buk instead.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Had a call with my in-laws from Russia. It's really sad. my father in law has explained how the US can't have biological weapon factories on their territories that's why they built them in Ukraine. Also said that Hungary and Poland should have just occupied western Ukraine and all this would be over quickly with everyone happy, in fact this is still an option and the EU or NATO wouldn't do anything about it.

The amount of brainwashing happening in Russia is mindboggling.

Worst part of the call was my wife's 90 year old grandmother constantly asking when are we going to visit them in Russia :(

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I didn’t get a chance to screenshot it, but someone is running an ad on the forums that is just a Z. Not a good look!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Google around, and you'll find a timeline of his memoirs escalating from "things were so bad, fellow regime personnel worked in various other occupations, such as taxi drivers" through "things were so bad I might have ended up working as a taxi driver if things didn't work out" to "I actually worked as a taxi driver, for real. Definitely not just a nightmare occupation for a paranoid fucker like myself". In actuality, he spent the early 90's doing grey market \ financial institutions corrupt poo poo.

Fair enough, I only recall a single interview of him on the topic. It doesn’t surprise me to hear that the narrative has “evolved”. In my mind I wasn’t thinking of him doing that until like 1998 anyway, more until 1992-1993.

KitConstantine posted:

Ukraine's gonna need more pickled tomatoes.
https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1502550196324032512?t=OsjV5K9RiaoHJd7lrNbp1Q&s=19
I dunno why, but this seems particularly upsetting to me, the ball bearings are a nasty touch. Maybe because the drone looks almost like a toy?

I wonder if they’re trying to get Zelenskyi with something like this.