Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s actual bullying, checking now. :laffo: They hit that base with more than 30 missiles, according to this FT article I’m reading right now - they definitely cannot sustain that rate of fire against other military facilities. Say, Zaporizhia VDV base (prestigious unit there) got hit by just 1 missile.

It was atleast partially attacked by aircraft. There's footage of them shooting down one of the attackers and the parachutes deploying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

dr_rat posted:

Your looking at it from a strategic point of view, it's quite possible putin did just really think Ukraine should be part of russia, he does seem to be a huge nationalist bent, and has written about it a few times now. That with apparently getting garbage intel and not really caring about people Russian or Ukraine at all... well it sort of makes sense I guess.

Anyway what ever the reasons are as far as people can tell they were all his, and if he catches a bullet to the back of the head, we may never know, and fortunately won't have to care what the poo poo head thoughts are ever again.

Putin has been harping on his historical grievances for ages. He did so in the lead up to this war. Don’t know why it is hard for people to just accept that. He’s not invading Ukraine for “mountain defence” lol.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Medvedev was able to chart his own course enough that it was clear he wasn't just Putin doing a puppet show. Obviously Putin retained enough real power to say 'okay I want my job back now' but it feels to me like he really was testing the waters on being able to safely step away from politics.

I cannot agree with this in the slightest, he was a textbook decorum puppet for Putin. Anything he tried doing “on his own” in domestic politics does to me boil down to Putin’s infamous disdain for working on domestic politics.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/christopherjm/status/1502958122842927106

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 13, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I cannot agree with this in the slightest, he was a textbook decorum puppet for Putin. Anything he tried doing “on his own” in domestic politics does to me boil down to Putin’s infamous disdain for working on domestic politics.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/christopherjm/status/1502958122842927106

gently caress, where's all the AA stuff? And the MIGs?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

We don't know. Some air defences were clearly working around Lviv, as not all missiles made it through. As for the MiGs, I very much doubt that after everything Ukrainians have done so far, they'd just have left them out there in a more obvious propaganda target base, if that's the line of your inquiry.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

mobby_6kl posted:

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1502892765092450306

Supposed parachutes from shootdown around Lviv.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Reporting is a bit confusing on this one, with some saying that it was long-distance missile fire, and some saying it was just jets dropping short range missiles.

Edit: Some seem to be also saying it was cruise missile fire from strategic bombers.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 13, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Fame Douglas posted:

I think staying in power was always the plan, as clearly evidenced by the switch with Medwedew everybody expected even back then. Putin simply doesn't seem interested in domestic politics all that much.

Which really is the only way Russia was ever gonna get back any great power status, focus on the domestic, fight corruption, invest in the national economy and work on establishing hi-tech industries in russia (might've been nice to attract some chip fabs before hand eh) as well as fund those they already have (rosatom and roscosmos), while milking the gas and oil but having an exit plan for it.

This focus on huge army and military expansion feels like it's a few centuries out of date. At least it feels pointless unless you have an economy that can support one modern and sophisticated enough to match your main rivals, if you can't, better to focus on defence only and grow your economy until you can. That's probably longer than Putin will live though.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 13, 2022

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Overwhelming local AA seems to be precisely the reason why you would fire a large salvo of missiles all at once.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Overwhelming local AA seems to be precisely the reason why you would fire a large salvo of missiles all at once.

Yes. People act like they expect that one sam launcher and one cannon can stop 100+ missiles, which is just absurd.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

JesusSinfulHands posted:

...snip.. and after he took over again in 2012 he never trusted anyone to make important decisions ever again.

From the way things are going, it turns out he cant even trust himself to make important decisions ;)

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Omg

https://mobile.twitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1502973321440337924

Thinking of what would happen if it dropped on a person is stressful

Somaen fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 13, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Yes. People act like they expect that one sam launcher and one cannon can stop 100+ missiles, which is just absurd.

Not at all, I just thought they attackd from planes, which could've been shot down. And it seems like we did get one at least.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/felix_light/status/1502973544682115075

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Not at all, I just thought they attackd from planes, which could've been shot down. And it seems like we did get one at least.

Russia launches Kalibrs from planes a lot of the time. The two statements aren't inconsistent.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, it’s a recurring legend, that’s never substantiated.

Yeah, it's always speculation from 'intelligence sources'.

From the guardian:

Western intelligence believes that Vladimir Putin’s personality has changed dramatically over the past five years,
with the 69-year-old Russian leader displaying increasing and obvious paranoia about his health.

But while the shift in character is marked, intelligence sources say, there is an underlying mystery about what could be the cause –
with possible explanations ranging from cancer, Parkinson’s disease, the onset of dementia or the use of steroids for treatment of another condition.

“The big tell that Putin is concerned about his health is that he is so obviously worried about coronavirus,”
an intelligence source said, citing his insistence on sitting at a distance from foreign leaders such as the French president, Emmanuel Macron,
or some of his own key figures, such as defence minister Sergei Shoigu.

He only met China’s president, Xi Jinping, last month after elaborate coronavirus precautions were taken on both sides.

“Coverage of Russia is pretty good from both a human and signals intelligence perspective,” a western source added.
“But there is a grey spot when it comes to Putin’s personal health. What we know is that there has been an identifiable change in his decision making in the past five years.”

Speculation about Putin’s long-term health is widespread amongst Russia experts in the West’s intelligence agencies.

Similar claims were reported in the Mail on Sunday over the weekend, but ultimately there is no firm evidence to back up any of the theories circulating.
Putin is believed to have had three Covid vaccine treatments. One western source said he had taken the Pfizer vaccine,
although the president himself said in June last year that he had received Russian Sputnik jabs.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Somaen posted:

Omg

https://mobile.twitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1502973321440337924

Thinking of what would happen if it dropped on a person is stressful

Our MoD is spectacularly incompetent and corrupt so I have hard time believing them. My guess is that it was probably self-destruct mechanism on a drone or something similar because it absolutely doesn't make sense why would anyone place a bomb on antiquated drone when they have access to actual armed drones and Tochkas or Iskanders.

However, I agree with a second part - this thing dropped right beside university campus that was full of students at the time.

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 13, 2022

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Trump posted:

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1502892765092450306

Supposed parachutes from shootdown around Lviv.

Izyum is not near Lviv

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I mean… a bit off topic-ish, but does anything good ever happen in Russia? The history that I’m aware of is just loving grim.

Mongol invasions. poo poo. Tsars. poo poo. USSR, poo poo. Post USSR somehow even more poo poo. Has there ever been a “golden age” for Russia or a period of time where normal people weren’t just completely hosed?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

tehinternet posted:

I mean… a bit off topic-ish, but does anything good ever happen in Russia? The history that I’m aware of is just loving grim.

Mongol invasions. poo poo. Tsars. poo poo. USSR, poo poo. Post USSR somehow even more poo poo. Has there ever been a “golden age” for Russia or a period of time where normal people weren’t just completely hosed?

Depends on what you mean by 'happen', but Russia has produced a lot of exceptional art, literature and science.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Russian field kitchen.
https://twitter.com/ZampolitGistapo/status/1502985537598144517

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

tehinternet posted:

Nope, and any ruler that tried to ease up on the common folk soon found themselves murdered. If you want to rule Russia you do it with an iron fist or die according to history.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

tehinternet posted:

I mean Russia has always been a terrible place to be a peasant (but that holds for most of world history) but Russia could be a pretty good place to live for a certain part of the population during the enlightenment and the post Napoleonic period. Especially during the enlightenment and age of revolutions St Petersburg was a pretty popular place to go into exile in.

Also I think most Russians actually had a pretty decent quality of life in the 60s and 70s.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I might as well ask this here, hope it's not too OT.
Some time ago I read an article that suggested a lot of cases of PTSD were caused by brain damage due to the use of a massive new anti tank weapon.
Is that the javelin they were talking about, or something else? Seem to remember it was Scandinavian made. But presumably a lot of these weapons have some impact that isn't great for the person firing it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tehinternet posted:

These are a little pop-history, and not at all comprehensive, but relevant.

https://youtu.be/f8ZqBLcIvw0

https://youtu.be/vK7l55ZOVIc

Russia has a long history of self abuse punctuated by outside invasions.

TheRat posted:

Depends on what you mean by 'happen', but Russia has produced a lot of exceptional art, literature and science.

Tortured artists produce the best art. :(

I distinctly remember a short period of time in the late nineties when it looked like Russia might kick the habit of despotism and finally build a future for itself. Their failure to leave that poo poo behind them is one of the saddest stories in modern history.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TheRat posted:

Russian music is especially good, yeah, but I should have been more specific. I wasn’t implying that they’re “less than” as a culture, I’m saying that average working people never catch a loving break.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1502989878019117058

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

mrfart posted:

I might as well ask this here, hope it's not too OT.
Some time ago I read an article that suggested a lot of cases of PTSD were caused by brain damage due to the use of a massive new anti tank weapon.
Is that the javelin they were talking about, or something else? Seem to remember it was Scandinavian made. But presumably a lot of these weapons have some impact that isn't great for the person firing it?

I guess it was Carl Gustav

But that study is obviously bullshit and made out of thin air.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

As disgusting as this is, I feel it can easily be explained by the truck being in combat and then being abandoned for a few days. It’s not like they’re making meals out of that thing today.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

MrYenko posted:

I distinctly remember a short period of time in the late nineties when it looked like Russia might kick the habit of despotism and finally build a future for itself. Their failure to leave that poo poo behind them is one of the saddest stories in modern history.

The late 1990s was not a good time for Russia. People from EU/West tend to look at Russia's brief flirt with western democracy and wonder why Russia "abandoned democracy", but it was also a time of unmitigated economic disaster, decreasing quality of life and unstable domestic politics. Back in Finland we were seriously wondering what would happen to Russian nuclear weapons were the state to completely collapse. You may also ask how much average Russians associate the economic hardships of 1990s, collapse of Soviet Union, and Western involvement in "capitalism" together. Don't wonder why the country did not stick with that political experiment.

And people love to go "oh no Russia has no future". IIRC there are similar musings from 17th century, well before the time of Peter the Great. For a doomed, hopeless state they sure seem to stick around.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 13, 2022

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

tehinternet posted:

Russian music is especially good, yeah, but I should have been more specific. I wasn’t implying that they’re “less than” as a culture, I’m saying that average working people never catch a loving break.

For being an average Russian probably the best periods in history are the mid 50s to mid 70s and the last 20 years. You obviously aren't getting much in the way of political liberties but that isn't something most people in the world have got throughout history. But you know you got economic stability and could probably get a decent job and a decent place to live. Putin is incredibly popular not because he's a nationalist who has rescued Russia's prestige (though that helps) but because he's ruled over an almost unprecedent period of peace and economic stability.

MyMomSaysImKeen
May 5, 2010
Is it true Ramzan Kadyrov himself is in Ukraine?

I stumbled onto a video of him in a dark staging room, but it could be filmed most anywhere for his mens" morale.

There was also a recent phone dispatch between him & Putin. In it Ramzan urges Putin to not sit idle as their men die during negotiats, and to go hard for Kiev, and other polis.

MyMomSaysImKeen fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 13, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Edit: ^^ I very much doubt that he is in Ukraine.

As some people mentioned two weeks ago, myself included, there’s immense irony in Putin presiding over Russian economy reverting probably not even to 90s, but to 40s.

Also 50s were brutal, in Latvia at least - collectivisation campaign from 1946 to 1951 was rather brutal here, and the acute consequences did linger until like 60s or so.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

tehinternet posted:

These ones were pretty okay if you ignore a lot of systemic problems and the life on periphery

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

MyMomSaysImKeen posted:

Is it true Ramzan Kadyrov himself is in Ukraine?

He's claiming so
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1502993000573685766?t=Aw3N1SfTTrqsSG18JzXVTg&s=19

There's also reports that he brought "plane loads" of troops with him.

From video the Kadyrovites have made it looks like they haven't advanced much further into Kyiv than the area around Hostomel so maybe he's there to push things forward a bit.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

tehinternet posted:

Periods of USSR rule was probably among the least poo poo it has been for the general populace, at least when it came to security, stability and general rule of law. I'm no Soviet apologist (especially because a lot of Soviet prosperity was built on exploiting client states) and it was a grim regime with pretty harsh consequences for not playing by the rules. But there were rules. There were opportunities and corruption was at least predictable. Economic inequality did exist, but the party aristocrats were nothing like contemporary oligarch and chekist kleptocrats in that regard.

It's also a topic of some controversy how much the USSR economy was propped up by exploiting client states (in Europe and elsewhere). It is also not clear to what extent the economic and political collapse of the USSR was predicated by the Afghan war, the Chernobyl incident, the democratic revolutions of (exploited) client states - and how much was because of structural problems running the particular USSR brand of planned economy.

I think the arguably not entirely unreasonable USSR-nostalgia is also why I'm baffled that Putin and his cronies are seeking a revival of Tsarist Russia. Because that was poo poo for anyone but the Tsar, princes and (some) boyars. Maybe it's because the USSR failed and because of the internationalism inherent to its structure (even though Russian nationalism was never excised from the political and cultural fabric of the USSR).

Current Russia does not have anything resembling rule of law. There is no ideological superstructure imposed on the authoritarian hierarchies. It is a regression from the USSR. What to democratic market economies of the West seemed like slow progress, was merely an interregnum until the Tsar had a sufficient power base to assert dominance fully. I am sure historians for centuries to come will discuss endlessly how the emergence of this dictatorship could have been avoided.

I dearly hope that somehow at the end of this war, not just will there be a free and sovereign Ukraine, but also somehow a Russia that has a viable trajectory towards stability, equality and justice.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Izyum is not near Lviv

Whoops, the translation just gave me the danish word for "raisin" :D

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1502939673123078144

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Those were both super interesting and just as bleak as I thought they’d be. Thanks!

Think seriously about what to do? There would have to be a systematic effort to eliminate Putin and his power structure, I’d think.

What else can you do with someone that deploys nuclear weapons? They’d have clearly shown that they’re willing to risk the lives of the entire world and that’s not something that can be allowed (nor is responding with the same level of force).

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Okay now Poland is starting to worry me a little.